Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2010, 17:06   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
hi Ampere,

I have decided to take the Thanjavur route. I called up the temple and they said thanga thottil can be offered when the temple is open anytime. So that makes life easier.
I will update you guys once i finish the trip about the routes and conditions.

Thanks SSENGO about the route information for Thirumananjeri.
Yes even when I went it was available even at seven in the evening. Its just that the return became a bit scary when there were no lights and we had to cross a hanging bridge with loads of water flow just below. Hopefully they must have done the bridge by now, so that you can drive all the way to the temple.
Old 14th April 2010, 10:47   #32
BHPian

Yeah.. Aargee you are right about Alto. So the route is finalised, I have started buying other stuff's that are essential, thanks to MX6, has helped me a lot in preparing a list.
Old 14th April 2010, 15:41   #33
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
Yeah.. Aargee you are right about Alto. So the route is finalised, I have started buying other stuff's that are essential, thanks to MX6, has helped me a lot in preparing a list.
I'm flattered. Tonight I will update my travelogue with photos of things I carried and excel sheets showing plans I made. I'm driving to Mumbai again. (Boy oh boy, this month my petrol bill has nearing the hits SmartCat has on his travelogue). So wait for my updates by 7 am tomorrow.
Old 12th June 2010, 07:49   #34
BHPian

Mods: Please change the title to updated.

First of all many thanks to AARGEE, AMPERE,SSENGO and MX6. I completed the trip last week very successfully. My updates on the road conditions and a short description on the travel.. a detailed travelogue is on the anvil.

5-6-2010: 5 am: Left chennai with my in laws for my native santhanallur near Mannargudi. Took Chennai- Vikravandi-Neyveli-vadalur-sethiathope-anaikarai-kumbakonam-mannargudi-santhanallur. The Roads were fantastic till vikravandi and then were very good till kumbakonam. As mentioned by SSENGO, road from Kumbakonam till Alangudi is being repaired, but is in much better shape now. SSENGO no rim breakers now, but lots of diversions because of the works. From Alangudi till my native roads were superb. Anaikarai bridge is still being repaired, so no buses are allowed. Had a break at Neyveli, Hotel Arachana Garden at 8 am for breakfast, reached my village at 12.30 pm. I recommend hotel archana for everyone traveling on the chennai - kumbakonam route excellent facilities, good food, very good coffee...( Very Important for me).

6-6-2010 - stayed at my village - Enjoyed the festivities.

7-6-2010 - Santhanallur- Mannargudi - Needamangalam - Ammapettai- saliamangalam - Thirukarugavur ( St to temple entrance): Awesome road with excellent greenery around.

After finishing Thirukarugavur we went to Vaitheeswaran Koil. Thirukarukavur - Papanasam - Kumbakonam - Mayavaram - Vaitheeswaran koil. Roads were good but heavy bus traffic.

8-6-2010 - Vaitheeswaran Koil - Mayavaram - thirumanjeri. SSENGO we dont have to go kuthalam to go to thirumanjeri. There is a short route from Mayavaram Junction, you need to make a left and it is a straight road to Thirumanejeri ( 10 kms) You save a lot of time. as Mayavaram - Kuthalam has heavy traffic. went back to my native santhannalur through - Mayavaram - Peralam - Thiruvarur - Mannargudi. Thiruvarur is in mess because of some road constructions, luckily an auto driver guided us through some short cuts and took us from Peralam road to Mannargudi road. if not for the auto driver we would have got lost totally. 2 days earlier when my brothers family came through thiruvarur they got stuck for 2 hours there.

9-6-2010 - Completed the hair shaving ceremony for my daughter at my native and started back for chennai. Mannargudi - Kumbakonam-Neyveli - Vikravandi - Chennai.

Excellent trip with lots of sweet memories and the best thing is my daughter enjoyed the trip, she never had any problems infact she enjoys the drive very much. Took lots of planning but at the end everything went so smooth. Thanks to MX6 who inspired me for this road trip. Thanks once again to SSENGO, AARGEE and AMPERE for the route information.

I will try to post the detailed travelogue once i return back to Hyderabad next week.

Regards,
Venkatesh
Old 22nd June 2010, 13:35   #35
BHPian

Venki, glad to hear that you have successfully completed your trip. Thanks for the update on shortest route to Tirumananjeri. Infact, i was taking the Kuthalam route all these days without knowing about this shortest route. Thanks for helping me too. BTW, have you posted the travelogue? I'm quite curious to read about your trip.
Old 22nd June 2010, 13:43   #36
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for acknowledging me Venki! I feel really flattered.
Have a query, What was the reaction to your daughter's tonsuring? Did she break in to a fit or was she taking it in her spirit?
Old 22nd June 2010, 20:01   #37
Team-BHP Support

Great to hear that you had nice drive and temple visits! When I went to these places it was some time in November.
Rains were on the scenery around Vaitheeshwaran temple was just too green! It was amazing.
But I did not drive. I then took a train from Mayavaram to Bangalore.

For folks who dont know: There is Mysore-Mayavaram express which goes via :
Bangalore-Hosur-Salem-Karur-Trichy-Tanjore-Kumbakonam-Mayavaram.

Pretty route I would say.

MX6, when last year I got my kid tonsured at Mysore Chamundi (family deity), My dad held her hands, wife the legs, and me the head.
It was quite a task!

Last edited by ampere : 22nd June 2010 at 20:03.
Old 22nd June 2010, 21:50   #38
MX6
Senior - BHPian

With my daughter nothing of that will work. As such 4 or 5 of us pounce on her and yet she'll manage to give us the slip! So I've put the ritual on hold till she understands and co-operates!
Old 22nd June 2010, 22:29   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
With my daughter nothing of that will work. As such 4 or 5 of us pounce on her and yet she'll manage to give us the slip! So I've put the ritual on hold till she understands and co-operates!
Thats the problem. Till then its too late. Daughters get the power to say no!
Old 25th June 2010, 15:23   #40
BHPian

SSENGO: The actual Route is to enter from east/Thirukkadaiyur, take right at Y-Jn (for Kuttalam/Kumbakonam Rd take left here) – go thru bazaar 2km – take left adjacent to the HP Petrol Bunk – take right at T-Jn 300 M away – take left at T-Jn 200 M away – drive 7-8 km straight till you reach a vaaikkal (this is a good tar road 20 feet wide)- when you see a board “Thirumananjeri Temple route’ take right – drive in 8-feet tar/gravel road for 2 km – cross aathuppalam [30 feet wide bridge 50 feet long] – 1 km- enter Thirumananjeri; if you miss the right near the board, proceed straight and join the Kuthalam-Thirumananjer Road where you can take the right.
Old 25th June 2010, 15:35   #41
BHPian

MX6, Ampere: I was really lucky, the kid slept. Nothing could wake her up almost till the entire tonsure got over. Almost to the end, she woke up and she started crying, she was sitting in her Mama's lap, myself and my father just held her tight for couple of minutes only. It took some time after that for us to console her and finish her bath. The biggest problem would be that if many of us hold the kid tight they try to get released from us, in the process the guy who is tonsuring must be careful otherwise a cut will happen. The moment the ladies see the blood they start shouting at the tonsuring guy (ofcourse us!). This leads to further complications and time. I cant believe my luck still this time though.... But one more is waiting at Tirumala... Lets see.......
Old 25th June 2010, 15:43   #42
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Tirumala tonsure is an eternal fear for me! I used to wonder with so much of crowd, what if this guy gives me a hairdo like Senthil in Jai Hind movie (tamil) and then get up and go to serve other customers leaving me in the lurch!
For my daughter, the main issue is making her sit for 2 seconds. That's her attention span. She keeps running all around. It's another story as to how I manage to keep her in the car seat during our long journeys! She has travelled over 20000 kms in the last 11 months in the car!
Old 27th June 2010, 07:18   #43
BHPian

MX6: Hahaahaaaa..... Good one. You seem to have a bigger list of tonsures than me. Tirumala, I am also fearing the crowd. But one of my friends suggested me to take one day trip organized by APSRTC from chennai. The advantage is if you inform them one day before they arrange for the Tonsure without much hassle. We need to pay the barber 100 Rs, I believe. But no crowd at all, done at our convenience at a separate counter and not at the main Kalyanagatta (Tonsure Hall). I am thinking of this idea. But with the kind of workload I have presently, I cant think of making the trip in the near future.
Old 27th June 2010, 12:46   #44
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Nowadays they come and do the tonsure at your room itself. With the Arjitham office giving tickets for darshans and handling that well, I find that it takes 3 hours at an average for darshan, 1 hour for laddus and eternity for a tonsure if you get it done at the Varikalyanakatta.
There's now a queue at the varikalyanakatta in the Balaji temple at Narayanpur near Pune!
lol.
Old 27th July 2010, 17:39   #45
BHPian

Hi All - Saw this old posting on a trip to Garbharakshambikai temple in Thirukkaragavoor - planning a trip via Trichy this weekend myself.
Any extra details available on directions from Trichy to the temple?

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks