Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2010, 13:19   #91
Senior - BHPian

@ Rajiv: I see that you zeroed in on Caravan Serai and JKTDC GH. Please note that there are two of them, one on the road to Caravan Serai and the other one near the river. Their bookings need to be done from the Tourist Centre in Srinagar. There is a Mr. Kazi there at the TRC in Srinagar who will help you. Also pick up the Outlook Map for J&K for Rs10/- which is much more detailed than any other map of the region. Even has the Hundar - Sakti via Warila route in dotted lines.

All the best for your trip and may you have fun a lot of fun and take awesome pictures with your DSLR
Old 10th May 2010, 22:12   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
@ Rajiv: I see that you zeroed in on Caravan Serai and JKTDC GH. Please note that there are two of them, one on the road to Caravan Serai and the other one near the river. Their bookings need to be done from the Tourist Centre in Srinagar. There is a Mr. Kazi there at the TRC in Srinagar who will help you. Also pick up the Outlook Map for J&K for Rs10/- which is much more detailed than any other map of the region. Even has the Hundar - Sakti via Warila route in dotted lines.

All the best for your trip and may you have fun a lot of fun and take awesome pictures with your DSLR
Last year we just went there without booking, but that was September, 1st week of june will be peak season so we will book.

Regarding maps, all stacked up from last year, and I did mapped the whole route in GPS, except for Tso Moriri.

Thank for your wishes

Updated Plan
Want to get Leh’d in 2010 for 30 days – Suggestions please-leh-plan.jpg

Last edited by rkbharat : 10th May 2010 at 22:17.
Old 11th May 2010, 15:48   #93
BHPian

Plan for now...

Hi,

Leaving from Bangalore on 3rd September 2010 and this is the plan as of now. Many many (and many more) thanks to HVK. I am still going through the log book of yours from 2009 and may have to tweak a few last minute things. But apart from that, I have modified the plan to cover Spiti and Pin Valley and drop J&K (Kargil onwards) from the route.

Souvik
Attached Thumbnails
Want to get Leh’d in 2010 for 30 days – Suggestions please-souvik-leh.jpg  

Old 11th May 2010, 16:31   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvik View Post
Hi,

Leaving from Bangalore on 3rd September 2010 and this is the plan as of now. Many many (and many more) thanks to HVK. I am still going through the log book of yours from 2009 and may have to tweak a few last minute things. But apart from that, I have modified the plan to cover Spiti and Pin Valley and drop J&K (Kargil onwards) from the route.

Souvik
Souvik, I see that you are planning to take a PentHouse for 2500 in Manali. We had stayed in a hotel next to Johnson's cafe wherein we paid 500 for a 2200 room. And we had taken 9 double bed rooms .
Old 11th May 2010, 16:51   #95
BHPian

That is a very good news. While speaking to HVK, I also realize that Sep is going to be a non-peak and less tourist season.

Do you all suggest we go there and find the best deal that is on offer instead of booking places in advance? This also gives us the flexibility on dates, delays and issues we might face on the way.

Souvik
Old 11th May 2010, 17:09   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvik View Post
That is a very good news. While speaking to HVK, I also realize that Sep is going to be a non-peak and less tourist season.

Do you all suggest we go there and find the best deal that is on offer instead of booking places in advance? This also gives us the flexibility on dates, delays and issues we might face on the way.

Souvik
I also was part of HVK's 2009 gang. While he went off to Lahaul Spiti, the remaining gang came to manali and found the best rooms. I would suggest you also do that.
Old 11th May 2010, 17:25   #97
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I also was part of HVK's 2009 gang. While he went off to Lahaul Spiti, the remaining gang came to manali and found the best rooms. I would suggest you also do that.
Is HVK coming with his Sept 2010 gang? I have many people from Pune along with me who would love to join!
Old 11th May 2010, 18:50   #98
BHPian

Thank you MileC. The best would be go and find out the best deal since. Worst case scenario would be to just pitch the tent somewhere that we have, but I am sure we will find something there.

MX6 - HVK is not in the Sept 2010 gang. Though I would love to have him in the convoy to lead us. Is there a possibility to coax, bribe him?

Souvik
Old 11th May 2010, 22:06   #99
Senior - BHPian

Yes, September is a nice quiet month, bargain hard for hotel rooms, since the tourist season is as good as over by then (especially after Sep 15 when the Ladakh Festival ends). If you are a large group, you can get rates down to 30-50% easily. Keep your options open - we found the Pangong Tso (Lukung) tent guys asking for too much, so we tried to go to Spangimik (but the bad roads deterred us), so we finally landed back in Tangtse and got ourselves rooms for some Rs 300-400. Similarly, in Tso Moriri, one of the swankier hotels wanted 1500+ for the room, but we walked across to Nomadic Tent Camps and got ourselves the tents for just Rs 800 against his rack rate of 2500+.

Remember, in Ladakh, a room that costs ~ Rs 500 is a good room, you don't have to look beyond that price range.
Old 12th May 2010, 08:51   #100
Senior - BHPian

little sad news, my trip is in trouble, had to travel to Spain after the trip and I postponed it to 2 weeks after the trip so that I have some time to recover from trip before I travel again.

Now yesterday client insisted on me traveling to the earliest in fact with in 2 days of my Ladakh return, which is not possible.

I am feeling very sad after almost 95% preparations already done and whole group relying on me for the trip :(
Old 12th May 2010, 10:44   #101
BHPian

Bharat, that really sad to know that, but that do happen and there is always a next chance, I request you to share the last concrete plan with me, my plans are on, I am still not decided on the locations based on the time that I have, I requested the Kumar ji and he is of opinion that my time and destination are more are on optimistic side and I may have to cut down few places to adjust the time, or increase the time.

It would help me to see your final list and then decide.

-Pramod
Old 12th May 2010, 10:49   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
little sad news, my trip is in trouble, had to travel to Spain after the trip and I postponed it to 2 weeks after the trip so that I have some time to recover from trip before I travel again.

Now yesterday client insisted on me traveling to the earliest in fact with in 2 days of my Ladakh return, which is not possible.

I am feeling very sad after almost 95% preparations already done and whole group relying on me for the trip :(
Bad scene, Rajiv. But you have the whole season to catch up.
Old 12th May 2010, 11:25   #103
Team-BHP Support

Unless you are driving to spain, it should not matter. Drive to ladakh, and then relax in spain
Old 13th May 2010, 17:40   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
Bharat, that really sad to know that, but that do happen and there is always a next chance, I request you to share the last concrete plan with me, my plans are on, I am still not decided on the locations based on the time that I have, I requested the Kumar ji and he is of opinion that my time and destination are more are on optimistic side and I may have to cut down few places to adjust the time, or increase the time.

It would help me to see your final list and then decide.

-Pramod
I will surely share the final plan.
I agree with Kumar sir, don't consider it as one time trip and accommodate everything, you need some quality time at each place to enjoy the beauty instead of just driving
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Bad scene, Rajiv. But you have the whole season to catch up.
Sir, this time its not possible after August due to some personal commitments
BTW there is still a little hope for May, in any case everything is ready except spares, so even a last minute decision will be quite ok
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Unless you are driving to spain, it should not matter. Drive to ladakh, and then relax in spain

BTW I ordered new Jerry Cans yesterday, will receive them in couple of days, will update about there quality, but as promised by dealer, quality is same as of Army type as its same jerrycans.

We ordered 4 jerry cans for 4400 Rs including Tax/Excise/shipping.

Last edited by rkbharat : 13th May 2010 at 17:42.
Old 13th May 2010, 18:26   #105
BHPian

Can I get a Jerry can :-), I tried to find it here at Nagpur and was unsuccessful, the best advice I got was to use the pesticide can, as they are good rugged and air tight, I am not sure if this is a good alternative, the last option that I have is to carry 2-3 plastic vegetable oil container they are generally air tight.
Suggestion and options please for Jerry can or any other alternative.

-Pramod
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks