Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2010, 18:32   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The Nubra V pump is a small one, can run out of stock.
The 3 long sectors:
Kargil-Padum (Zanslkar V)-Kargil
Leh-Nubra V-Wari la-Pangon Tso-Karu
Karu-Upshi-Tso Moriri-Pang-Sarchu-Keylong-Tandi

Thanks Kumar. The info on the petrol pumps would definitely help us in our trip.
Old 15th May 2010, 19:02   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Petrol pumps:

Srinagar-Leh (from Sonmarg onwards)
- Sonmarg
- Kargil
- Mulbek
- Khaltse
- 9 kms before Leh Airport

Leh
- Leh
- Choglasmar, between Karu & Leh

Nubra V
- Deskit (Nubra V)

Leh-Manali
- Karu
- Tandi (Keylong)
Sir is there any petrol pump at Sonmarg, I doubt.

The last one is at Gagan Gir which is 5km before Sonmarg, and chances are very high that it is empty. then next before is at Kangan, 35 km before Sonmarg.

Also its not wise to depend on Nubra V PP, for two reason, availability and poor quality.

Is there any PP at Drass?

Also I remember you suggested that out of two Petrol Pump in Leh, the one on Manali-Leh road is best and reliable

Last edited by rkbharat : 15th May 2010 at 19:04.
Old 15th May 2010, 22:43   #123
Senior - BHPian

When you are coming from Srinagar:
- Habbak Crossing
- Ganderbal
- Mangan
- Khullian, 14 kms before Sonmarg (this is what I meant when I said Sonmarg in teh last post)

No PP in Dras.
I did not see any PP in Kangan, but there is one between Mangan and Kangan.
I did not see the Gagan Gir PP that you have mentioned. Can you get me the exact coordinates when you go this trip, we will add to our database.
Nubra V - I would not trust at all.
Padum - has a fuel depot where you are supposed to get diesel, but I think it is an all-local affair, they appeared to want to deter tourists from Q-ing up.

I was told that the main Leh PP at teh round where you enter town (junction of Kargil and Manali roads) has adulterated fuel. I refuelled at the PP at Choglasmar on the road to Thiksey and found the quality good.
Old 16th May 2010, 10:54   #124
Senior - BHPian

1000 bucks for a jerry can!!
The 20 liter bisleri Jars are quite good. They dont leak, dont smell either. I had carried one on my Spiti trip and will carry 2 on the Ladakh trip!! And they cost you nothing. Wash with mild soap solution before returning it for a refund!!
Old 16th May 2010, 11:49   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
1000 bucks for a jerry can!!
The 20 liter bisleri Jars are quite good. They dont leak, dont smell either. I had carried one on my Spiti trip and will carry 2 on the Ladakh trip!! And they cost you nothing. Wash with mild soap solution before returning it for a refund!!
How do we get a refund?! Are there people giving jerry cans on hire? (i know thats wishful thinking!)
Old 17th May 2010, 17:14   #126
BHPian

Jerry Cans

While searching for Jerry Cans for myself, I came across these. Yet to speak to them. But they have quite a range of containers depending on the capacity that you are looking for.

40 Liter Containers,40 Liter Containers Manufacturers,40 Liter Containers Suppliers,India

RK: Since I will be going in Sep, I have sometime in my hand and I will wait for you to post your feedback on the ones you bought.

Souvik
Old 17th May 2010, 18:27   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvik View Post
While searching for Jerry Cans for myself, I came across these. Yet to speak to them. But they have quite a range of containers depending on the capacity that you are looking for.

40 Liter Containers,40 Liter Containers Manufacturers,40 Liter Containers Suppliers,India

RK: Since I will be going in Sep, I have sometime in my hand and I will wait for you to post your feedback on the ones you bought.

Souvik
I will get them on Wednesday or Thursday, but you will have time to get its full trip usage update
BTW don't even think of carrying a big 40Ltr one, better take two 20ltr. Transferring fuel from Jerry can to tank can become a daunting task at that height.

And those plastic ones are easily available at Plastic waste shops at 100-150 Rs in very good condition. I have already bought on 30 Ltr one for 150 Rs, tested it filled with water and kept upside down for days. No likeage.

But the major problem is that it behaves differently in those condition of low pressure and bad roads. And I have this allergy from minutest petol fumes in car, which causes serious eyes irritation in my case. Last time one of the jerry can was leaking and fuming as it was of old army stock one and was very painful
Old 18th May 2010, 14:58   #128
BHPian

@rkbharat, I am leaving for Leh on the 4th of July. Will be driving down from Bombay, via Srinagar. The detailed route is posted in one of the earlier posts above.
Will be very much interested in purchasing the jerry cans. Can you please let me know, how I should go about procuring one.

Regards
Gautam.
Old 19th May 2010, 16:10   #129

Wow!

Folks, to admit at the onset, I am new to T-BHP and really stuck to it now.

At moment, I am in my office, have got tons of things to finish but seems like I am just glued to this thread! Read it from page 1 to till the last in last 5+ hours! (hope no one from my team notices it!) And not just reading but chewing it with my own thought process.

It's amazing to know, to feel and to realize that man can do any and everything for his passion.

While reading this thread, I was day dreaming about my own plans - when and how will I do this ever! I sent out thread's link and few details to my wife and told her that these people are going to drive to Leh from Bangalore! She replied to me just once asking if I wanna go! Only after reaching home, will find out what exactly she meant

I really appreciate we have people like HVK sir, who is so genuinely ready to help. And we have Souvik, Rajeev (RKBharat), Ushuaia, lloydofcochin, BolBolero and so many other folks who are helping themselves and others in planning and executing this trip.

Folks - you rock!
HVK Sir - My humble regards to you. Would love to meet you in you are in Bangalore any time.

All eyes are on this thread, keep us posted guys!
Old 20th May 2010, 10:18   #130
Senior - BHPian

Bad news at Chang la, on the Leh-Pangong Lake road. An avalanche has killed 2 tourists, and the road is closed due to snow.

Rising Kashmir, Daily Newspaper, Srinagar Jammu and Kashmir - Landslide kills 2 in Ladakh
Old 20th May 2010, 11:04   #131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
I will get them on Wednesday or Thursday, but you will have time to get its full trip usage update
BTW don't even think of carrying a big 40Ltr one, better take two 20ltr. Transferring fuel from Jerry can to tank can become a daunting task at that height.

And those plastic ones are easily available at Plastic waste shops at 100-150 Rs in very good condition. I have already bought on 30 Ltr one for 150 Rs, tested it filled with water and kept upside down for days. No likeage.

But the major problem is that it behaves differently in those condition of low pressure and bad roads. And I have this allergy from minutest petol fumes in car, which causes serious eyes irritation in my case. Last time one of the jerry can was leaking and fuming as it was of old army stock one and was very painful
Leaky jerrycans are a problem even with diesel, and we had to suffer some.
Finally in Leh I bought a packet of very big baloons. Then the modus operandy was simple.
fill fuel
Put baloon on the wide mouth(its a tight fit!)
Put the stopper cap on the baloon so that baloon gets pushed inside slightly
Put main cap over it

The baloon acts like a gasket, and this fixed the leakage problem 99%, except on some every rought streches.

We had 3 cans (35,35.20 liter)
We used to fill 20,20,10 (total 50 liters of fuel) in the cans. This minimizes the leakage even further.
Old 20th May 2010, 14:22   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Bad news at Chang la, on the Leh-Pangong Lake road. An avalanche has killed 2 tourists, and the road is closed due to snow.

Rising Kashmir, Daily Newspaper, Srinagar Jammu and Kashmir - Landslide kills 2 in Ladakh
A unfortunate reminder for all of us that there is an inherent danger which lurks round the corner.
Old 21st May 2010, 16:37   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Leaky jerrycans are a problem even with diesel, and we had to suffer some.
Finally in Leh I bought a packet of very big baloons. Then the modus operandy was simple.
fill fuel
Put baloon on the wide mouth(its a tight fit!)
Put the stopper cap on the baloon so that baloon gets pushed inside slightly
Put main cap over it

The baloon acts like a gasket, and this fixed the leakage problem 99%, except on some every rought streches.

We had 3 cans (35,35.20 liter)
We used to fill 20,20,10 (total 50 liters of fuel) in the cans. This minimizes the leakage even further.
Intelligent Solution Tanveer , BTW don't you feel filling can to top will give less chance to fuel splash around and leak.

BTW got them today, looks perfect and solid, Manufactured year is 2009, Date I could not understand, its in some code, I feel its worth 1100 as it will used for long time and many times. I hope to test them very soon

Want to get Leh’d in 2010 for 30 days – Suggestions please-p1010013.jpg

Want to get Leh’d in 2010 for 30 days – Suggestions please-p1010015.jpg

Want to get Leh’d in 2010 for 30 days – Suggestions please-p1010020.jpg

Want to get Leh’d in 2010 for 30 days – Suggestions please-p1010021.jpg

Want to get Leh’d in 2010 for 30 days – Suggestions please-p1010022.jpg
Old 21st May 2010, 18:29   #134
BHPian

Looks good, hope to get at least one with me, will let you know my firm plans before I start from Nagpur, right now trying to get the required things done on Scorpio[getting protection plate for AT oil cooler ] ;-(

-Pramod
Old 21st May 2010, 19:13   #135
BHPian

Looks absolutely solid Rajeev. Congrats on your new acquisition. I am sure they will perform well and not pose any unnecessary issues for you.

My bro-in-law found some more stuff for me on the net about the jerry cans.
The links are below:

India:
Steel Jerry Can Metal Jerry Can,Gasoline Barrels,Steel Jerry Can

Non Indian Suppliers:
fuel tank(UN approval) DSE-20 fuel tank(UN approval) China products
Erect jerry can(UN approval) jerry can(UN approval),galvanized sheet jerry can(U
Jerry Can (UN Approval) KR-20 Jerry Can,Fuel Tank,Auto Parts

Souvik
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks