Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2010, 10:29   #1
BHPian

Travel recommendation by month

What are the places around Bangalore for holidaying in July/August? (Please can somebody specifically answer this!)

I had this query, but couldn't get a suitable answer? So I thought about posting this here.

Can we update the locations best during a time of the year? Please put the advantages as well as disadvantages.

My take.

Simla in Jan/Feb : Beautiful with lots of snow. But you need to stay at a decent place with restaurant. Getting good food was a problem.
Ooty in Apr/May : Too crowded, but I stayed in Kotagiri, so I am happy. Best time for Ooty (my view) is Dec/Jan. I stayed at Coonoor, and it was good.
Pondicherry in Aug (specifically 15th Aug, Sri Aurobindo's birthday): Crowded around the ashram. It was very hot and humid too. Not good for me.
Kodai in Oct/Nov: Very good
Old 22nd April 2010, 11:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Holiday calendar:
April is less crowded in Himachal,
Why not spend May in Kashmir,
June is best spent at home, don't venture out into North India
July is too crowded in Uttarakhand,
The wetness can be deterrent in Kerala in Aug,
If it is September, it can only be Ladakh,
Dussehra brings out the crowds all over in October, but Uttarakhand is fine before Diwali
Try Karnataka in November,
December is the coolest month for Rajasthan,
January is lovely in the North East,
Chill is replaced by the heat in all the wildlife sanctuaries in Feb
Goa is deserted after the foreigners depart in Mar
Old 22nd April 2010, 12:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

^^^Sir, you forgot TN
Old 22nd April 2010, 12:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Holiday calendar:
April is less crowded in Himachal,
Why not spend May in Kashmir,
June is best spent at home, don't venture out into North India
July is too crowded in Uttarakhand,
The wetness can be deterrent in Kerala in Aug,
If it is September, it can only be Ladakh,
Dussehra brings out the crowds all over in October, but Uttarakhand is fine before Diwali
Try Karnataka in November,
December is the coolest month for Rajasthan,
January is lovely in the North East,
Chill is replaced by the heat in all the wildlife sanctuaries in Feb
Goa is deserted after the foreigners depart in Mar
The wetness can be deterrent in Kerala in Aug, why not try TN?
Old 22nd April 2010, 16:34   #5
BHPian

Well even I am struggling right now, trying to decide a holiday destination for my 3rd anniversary in July.

North India is out of the question as I have already covered almost the everything, except Leh/Laddakh.

Any suggestions??
Old 22nd April 2010, 16:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil on Wheels View Post
Well even I am struggling right now, trying to decide a holiday destination for my 3rd anniversary in July.

North India is out of the question as I have already covered almost the everything, except Leh/Laddakh.

Any suggestions??
Get drenched in the rain in Kerala? Try Munnar.
Or in TN? Kodai or Ooty?
Old 22nd April 2010, 16:52   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Get drenched in the rain in Kerala? Try Munnar.
Or in TN? Kodai or Ooty?
I found something similar on the lines of what I am looking for, Orange County, about 270 kms from Banglore.

Anything expensive, luxurious is fine with me preferrably within 50-60 K. I am not so particular about the destination, just need a resort/spa which offers some of the best things in life. As its our third anniversary, need to pamper my wife for bearing with me for 3 years.

All our holidays during the last 3 years have been spent exploring the better part of North India by Road, so this time wish to travel by rail/air.
Old 22nd April 2010, 16:54   #8
BHPian

Quote:

Any suggestions??
Try coorg, if you like rain.

Else try kotagiri (30km from Ooty), gets mush less rainfall compared to Ooty.

Missed your reply.

Orange County, Kabini is very good (costly too). They also have a property at Coorg.

Last edited by cuttingcrew : 22nd April 2010 at 16:56.
Old 22nd April 2010, 16:59   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Anything expensive, luxurious is fine with me preferrably within 50-60 K. I am not so particular about the destination, just need a resort/spa which offers some of the best things in life. As its our third anniversary, need to pamper my wife for bearing with me for 3 years.

All our holidays during the last 3 years have been spent exploring the better part of North India by Road, so this time wish to travel by rail/air.
50-60K?? man! with that money you can as well consider visiting Singapore/Malaysia!! Am I missing something here??

Last edited by whitesquall : 22nd April 2010 at 17:00.
Old 22nd April 2010, 17:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
50-60K?? man! with that money you can as well consider visiting Singapore/Malaysia!! Am I missing something here??
+1. Head on to Lankawi or best is Phi-Phi island. With those new LCC from bangy, you can make it a luxury stay.

Last edited by mjothi : 22nd April 2010 at 17:05.
Old 22nd April 2010, 17:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I found something similar on the lines of what I am looking for, Orange County, about 270 kms from Banglore.

For that budget Orange county is real good. Their room tariff starts from 12-14K per day. We'd been there last weekend & it was real good; there's something equivalent, Amanvana, but somehow the ambience of Orange County is simply superb - you're sure to get pampered in luxury.
Travel recommendation by month-o1.jpg
Old 22nd April 2010, 17:31   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
+1. Head on to Lankawi or best is Phi-Phi island. With those new LCC from bangy, you can make it a luxury stay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
Ha ha ha . I am not sure what kind of resorts/hotels I'll end up in if I venture outside India. Moreover the nationalist in me would rather prefer to boost India' tourism industry rather than spending my hard earned bucks for some other country.

On a more serious note. I did consider Bali, but the cost of Air tickets would eat up more than half my budget.
Old 22nd April 2010, 19:16   #13
Team-BHP Support

Try Chikmagulur. Gateway or Serai. Amazing experience.
Really like the Taj hospitality. During rains, its an awesome experience.

Serai is a Coffee day property. A 5 star property. Heard its very impressive and a new one at that.

However given a choice I would prefer Taj anyday. (I am a major fan)
Old 22nd April 2010, 20:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

It is cheaper to fly to Thailand or Malaysia instead of splurging this kind of super-money in the super-resorts in Kerala and Karnataka. With Air Asia, you can get cheap fares, cheaper than what it would cost you to drive a car from Bangalore to Corg!!!!
Old 22nd April 2010, 21:49   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It is cheaper to fly to Thailand or Malaysia instead of splurging this kind of super-money in the super-resorts in Kerala and Karnataka. With Air Asia, you can get cheap fares, cheaper than what it would cost you to drive a car from Bangalore to Corg!!!!
I totally agree sir! But yes, once in a while its good to soak in a bit of luxury as well! Isnt it?

But yes as you rightly say, its just one's own perspective of how he/she wants to spend his/her vacation. Splurging in style or seeing new places at VFM offers.

By the way Taj has three tiers of hotel chains. The lowest rung is the Gateway series (which is the erstwhile Garden Retreats). For luxury, they used be real VFM. E.g. CKM, Conoor, Madurai, Mangalore etc.

The higher end resorts/spa like Kumarakom (Kerala) Exotica (Goa) etc can only be afforded by Ambanis and Mallayas.

Last edited by ampere : 22nd April 2010 at 21:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks