Team-BHP - How to reach Kullu from Jaipur
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   How to reach Kullu from Jaipur (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/80267-how-reach-kullu-jaipur.html)

I am going for a 11 days trek in the Kullu valley in May. The reporting date to the base camp is on the 6th of May (any time). I do not plan to drive as it will be a long long drive from Jaipur to Kullu and that to will be driving alone.

I do not want to waste much time reaching there. The options that I think i have available are

1. AIR : Delhi to Bhuntar : this is out as its too expensive

2. TRIAN : Jaipur to Ambala by train, then to chandigarh by road and then to kullu by bus. I do not fancy this route as it will be too time consuming.

3. BUS : Jaipur to Delhi by bus and then from Delhi to Kullu again by bus (16 hrs drive in Volvo.

My questions are:-

A. Any good bus services from Chandigarh to Kullu?
B. How long will it take in a bus from Chandigarh to Kullu?
C. Whats the bus frequency preferably Volvo buses?
D. Any private Volvo bus operators between Chandigarh to Kullu or in between Delhi to Kullu?
E. How good are these private operators or is it better to go with HPTDC bus service?

Ideally I would want to start Jaipur on the 5th of May Noon, and reach Kullu any time on the 6th

Thank You

Quote:

Originally Posted by deky (Post 1855343)
I am going for a 11 days trek in the Kullu valley in May. The reporting date to the base camp is on the 6th of May (any time). I do not plan to drive as it will be a long long drive from Jaipur to Kullu and that to will be driving alone.

I do not want to waste much time reaching there. The options that I think i have available are

1. AIR : Delhi to Bhuntar : this is out as its too expensive

2. TRIAN : Jaipur to Ambala by train, then to chandigarh by road and then to kullu by bus. I do not fancy this route as it will be too time consuming.

3. BUS : Jaipur to Delhi by bus and then from Delhi to Kullu again by bus (16 hrs drive in Volvo.

My questions are:-

A. Any good bus services from Chandigarh to Kullu?
B. How long will it take in a bus from Chandigarh to Kullu?
C. Whats the bus frequency preferably Volvo buses?
D. Any private Volvo bus operators between Chandigarh to Kullu or in between Delhi to Kullu?
E. How good are these private operators or is it better to go with HPTDC bus service?

Ideally I would want to start Jaipur on the 5th of May Noon, and reach Kullu any time on the 6th

Thank You

11 day treck, sounds really fantastic. All the best.

Regarding your querry, I would suggest an alternate route.

Jaipur to Delhi by bus on 5th, reaching Delhi by 3 PM.
Delhi to Chandigarh by Shatabdi, leaves New Delhi RS at 5:20 PM.
Overnight stay at Chandigarh.
Chandigarh to Kullu by Bus on 6th.

This way you won't end up exhausted at your base camp.
You can also go directly to Kullu by Bus, but a bus journey is still a bus journey. Even in the most comfortable bus after an overnight journey you will end up exhausted.

Try this link for Bus option: http://www.indiatransit.com/ for trains the good old irctc website.

Take a morning Volvo from Jaipur to Delhi and then an 2000 hrs Volvo from Delhi to Kullu. Its relatively less tiring than normal buses, plus you will be in Kullu by 1100 next day. Plan accordingly.
Taking Shatabdi is also lucrative but then getting to Sec 44/47 (not sure which) Bus Stand at 2100 hrs will be a pain plus, waiting for a Bus to Kullu there at the bus stand will be another issue, unless you dont mind going hoping from one city to another. Its far better to take a mode of transport that goes from one point to your destination even if it seems to be taking a tad longer.

While travelling from Agra to Manali is there any way to cross Delhi without getting into the city any other alternatives?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gajadonga (Post 1855842)
While travelling from Agra to Manali is there any way to cross Delhi without getting into the city any other alternatives?

You can take the Agra-Aligarh-Meerut-Shamli-Karnal-Kiratpur-Bhunter-Manali route.

But the condition of the road between Agra and Aligarh was in terrible shape, about 2 years ago. It had taken me 7-8 hours to cover the distance in 1st/2nd gear. Not sure how it is right now, as I have never travelled on that road after that.

There is another road between Meerut and Sonepat, again not sure about the condition of the road.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devil on Wheels (Post 1855857)
You can take the Agra-Aligarh-Meerut-Shamli-Karnal-Kiratpur-Bhunter-Manali route.

But the condition of the road between Agra and Aligarh was in terrible shape, about 2 years ago. It had taken me 7-8 hours to cover the distance in 1st/2nd gear. Not sure how it is right now, as I have never travelled on that road after that.

There is another road between Meerut and Sonepat, again not sure about the condition of the road.

Hi,

That is good info but better than Meerut-Sonepat is the Meerut-Shamli-Karnal route, which you have suggested to start with.

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devil on Wheels (Post 1855667)
11 day treck, sounds really fantastic. All the best.

Regarding your querry, I would suggest an alternate route.

Jaipur to Delhi by bus on 5th, reaching Delhi by 3 PM.
Delhi to Chandigarh by Shatabdi, leaves New Delhi RS at 5:20 PM.
Overnight stay at Chandigarh.
Chandigarh to Kullu by Bus on 6th.

This way you won't end up exhausted at your base camp.
You can also go directly to Kullu by Bus, but a bus journey is still a bus journey. Even in the most comfortable bus after an overnight journey you will end up exhausted.

Try this link for Bus option: India transportation - Transportation in India by road transport buses and luxury AC Volvo Buses for trains the good old irctc website.

Thank you for the link, I am trying to find the best possible combination. I totally agree that a long distance bus journey can get very exahaustive, so I have to see which is better for me, to change a few trains and reach Kullu or to take a direct bus to Kullu from Delhi

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderernomad (Post 1855799)
Take a morning Volvo from Jaipur to Delhi and then an 2000 hrs Volvo from Delhi to Kullu. Its relatively less tiring than normal buses, plus you will be in Kullu by 1100 next day. Plan accordingly.
Taking Shatabdi is also lucrative but then getting to Sec 44/47 (not sure which) Bus Stand at 2100 hrs will be a pain plus, waiting for a Bus to Kullu there at the bus stand will be another issue, unless you dont mind going hoping from one city to another. Its far better to take a mode of transport that goes from one point to your destination even if it seems to be taking a tad longer.

There is an HPTDC volvo at 1830 hrs, would you know of any private operators that have a Volvo (sleeper coach is better) running between Delhi and Kullu/Manali?

Thanks & regards

Quote:

Originally Posted by deky (Post 1856038)
There is an HPTDC volvo at 1830 hrs, would you know of any private operators that have a Volvo (sleeper coach is better) running between Delhi and Kullu/Manali?

Thanks & regards

Plenty of options: Bus Service Daily Simla Kullu Manali in Delhi - Justdial

Best option would be picking up a volvo from Delhi, Options required?? Call up Raj Travels or visit Raj Travel World else lookout for ONLINE BUS TICKETS BOOKING SERVICE ONLINE BUS TICKET RESERVATION.

However, I would prefer Raj Travel Services which are much reliable and punctual then any other "Lal Qila" counter people.. You can call me, will pick up ticket for you from their CP office :)

Plus stick to a semi sleeper volvo, you will be better off than a full sleeper.Getting tossed and thrown about in a confined space in darkness is not an ideal option in hills. I dont know about Raj people but I would stick to HPTDC any day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devil on Wheels (Post 1856079)

Thank you, have gone thru the site, but any idea how reputed are these private operators and how good are the buses?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashthedivx (Post 1856092)
Best option would be picking up a volvo from Delhi, Options required?? Call up Raj Travels or visit Raj Travel World else lookout for ONLINE BUS TICKETS BOOKING SERVICE ONLINE BUS TICKET RESERVATION.

However, I would prefer Raj Travel Services which are much reliable and punctual then any other "Lal Qila" counter people.. You can call me, will pick up ticket for you from their CP office :)

Thanks Ashish, I will take your help when I fix the itenary.

I am also thinking to take the direct train from jaipur departure 4th night to chandigarh arrival 5th morning. Atleast I will get a good night sleep in the train. And then to find a day bus from chandigarh to manali. Reach Kullu or manali by the evening, rest there for the night and reach base camp close to kullu by 6th afternoon.

How does this plan sound, do you think this will be less tiresome as atleast I wont be spending nights in a bus?

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderernomad (Post 1856101)
Plus stick to a semi sleeper volvo, you will be better off than a full sleeper.Getting tossed and thrown about in a confined space in darkness is not an ideal option in hills. I dont know about Raj people but I would stick to HPTDC any day.

whats a semi sleeper volvo? I called up a private operator in delhi and he said sleepers volvos are banned, so is semi sleeper any different??

Thanks

@ Deky: As regards the reputation of Bus operators, your guess is as good as mine.

Personally I am not much of a bus traveller, if I can get anywhere by road, I would rather drive myself.

As regards your plan to travel by train to CHD, it sounds like the best option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deky (Post 1856216)
Thanks Ashish, I will take your help when I fix the itenary.

I am also thinking to take the direct train from jaipur departure 4th night to chandigarh arrival 5th morning. Atleast I will get a good night sleep in the train. And then to find a day bus from chandigarh to manali. Reach Kullu or manali by the evening, rest there for the night and reach base camp close to kullu by 6th afternoon.

How does this plan sound, do you think this will be less tiresome as atleast I wont be spending nights in a bus?

Thanks

Looks a comfortable journey plan to me, Apart from this it will keep apart from changing in Delhi. I would say best of the LOT :thumbs up

Try ONLINE BUS TICKETS BOOKING SERVICE ONLINE BUS TICKET RESERVATION , there-in you can retrieve Pan-India bus information hence can plan further as well.

Hi Deky,

Frankly, your train plans look the most sensible to me. Anyday, you will be reaching Chandigarh in much better shape than if you were to go the distance in a bus. It may even be a Volvo but doesn't match the quality of a train journey. The train allows you to stretch limbs, lie down full and get a good night's sleep. So, thumbs up buddy. Go for the dierct train from Jaipur to Chandigarh :)

this road is good.I HAD BEEN TO THIS ROAD 2-3 TIMES 2/3 YEARS BACK.