Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2010, 15:05   #1
BHPian

5 days Pilgrimage-cum-sight seeing trip around Udipi

Hi All,

Can you pl help me plan an itinerary for my sis and her family who are planning to spend about 5 days at Udipi to visit the near by temples and do some sight seeing. Here are the details:

# of people: my sis and her husband; in-laws (70+) and 2 kids (6yrs and 3yrs)
Dates: June 3rd week.

Here's the high level plan they have in mind:
Day 1: Leave Chennai by train to Managalore
Day 2: Reach Udipi from Mangalore and check into a good hotel
Day 2 - Day 6: Visit places around Udipi - Sringeri, Kollur, Dharmasthala, Kukke etc., and also cover some good spots around these areas like Agumbe, Jog falls, beaches etc.,
Day 7: Leave back to Chennai by train through Mangalore

Would be great if you could solve the "Travelling tourist" problem for us by charting out the optimal path across these destinations (and more as you may suggest). Priority is to have relaxed days instead of trying to gobble up multiple destinations.

Do you think it would be a good idea to setup base camp at Udipi and visit all places through day visits? Advantage is you don't have to pack and move all your stuff everyday but if that's going to exponentially increase travel times, might be worthwhile to look at 2-3 bases instead of one.

Can you also recommend good hotels across these places (budget of 1500-2000)?

Last but not the least any reliable taxi operator at Mangalore from whom we can take a qualis/other across these location?

Thanks much!
Old 26th April 2010, 15:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

Day # : Mangalore-Udupi, Checkinto Hotel, Udupi Temple, Malpe Beach, St Mary's Island, stay in Udupi

Day # : Start Early, Agumbe, Sringeri, Karkala, return to Udupi

Day # : Kollur Temple, Maravanthe, Anegudde temple, return to Udupi

Day # : Start Early, Dharmastala, Kukke Subramanya, return to Mangalore, Stay in Mangalore

Day # : Visits around Mangalore, Bekal fort, Stay in Mangalore

Day # : return from Mangalore by Train.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 26th April 2010 at 15:15.
Old 26th April 2010, 16:06   #3
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Day # : Mangalore-Udupi, Checkinto Hotel, Udupi Temple, Malpe Beach, St Mary's Island, stay in Udupi

Day # : Start Early, Agumbe, Sringeri, Karkala, return to Udupi

Day # : Kollur Temple, Maravanthe, Anegudde temple, return to Udupi

Day # : Start Early, Dharmastala, Kukke Subramanya, return to Mangalore, Stay in Mangalore

Day # : Visits around Mangalore, Bekal fort, Stay in Mangalore

Day # : return from Mangalore by Train.

Hope this helps.
With inlaws who are 70+ I don't see any point in Malpe beach and st mary's island. Further there's nothing to see in Mangalore. No point in going to Bekal fort either with aged people. Plus there's nothing to see now.

I'd suggest this.
From Mangalore proceed to Sringeri through Karkala. Stay there in Sringeri.
There's a puja in the night done by Sringeri Shankaracharya. But check out his availability in June 3rd Week. He's out on a tour to Kaladi for Shankara Jayanti and no idea when he's returning to Sringeri.

From Sringeri proceed to Horanadu (annapoorneshwari) and come back. Halt again at Sringeri.

Next morning proceed from Sringeri to Kollur early morning and after darshan and lunch, move to Udupi (have a pitstop at Anegudde).

Kukke is further away and I wouldn't fancy visiting kukke unless I want to move towards hassan/ bangalore/ mysore and proceed back to chennai from there.

Udupi temple is just max 30 mins affair. You can stay in udupi for a day, go to Malpe or Kaup beach).

Depending on when you leave from Mangalore, it's worth having a 60 min break at kaup enroute to station.

How healthy are your in-laws? I shall help with a plan accordingly.
Old 26th April 2010, 18:25   #4
BHPian

Thanks StarVegabond and MX6. My sis' in-laws have the avg health of any 70+ and don't have any day-to-day issues that would need special medical care - so you can suggest accordingly and based on the place (fort etc.,) they can take a call. Worse, they can stay back while the rest can go out to such places.
Old 26th April 2010, 20:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

I missed your tentative dates last time. now i understadn they would be travelling June 3rd week, it would be rainy season in Coastal Karnataka during that time. it might be difficult to travel around in the rain.

You may sensitize them about this fact and let them decide

There are quite a few other temples viz. Kalasa, Horanadu etc if they are interested.

Manipal is another place they might be interested to visit. ofcourse it is nothing special, but it is one of the more advance locality in the coastal karnataka with good education, healthcare facilities.

There are many travllogues on Udupi, Mangalore, Karkala, Dharmastala, Subramanya, Sringeri/Agumbe, Kollur/Maravanthe etc You may download the info and brief your relatives.

Most Viewed