Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2010, 07:17   #16
gvk
BHPian

Ampere,
I was not aware that even in evenings Kumarakom will be so humid. Thought will have the experience of boathouse in the night and can start off in the morning after breakfast.
The main idea of including Kumarakom in this trip is to drive on NH17. I was told that Mangalore to Goa is great pleasure to drive and since this is almost the same stretch I was inclined to include Kumarakom.
Anyhow, thanks for the suggestion. I will reconsider now.
Old 28th April 2010, 07:18   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
I would say you should restrict the number of places.

Bangalore - coonoor - wayanad and valparai should be ideal for 10days. Else it would be tiresome I think.
Well said. In fact I had mentioned, once he does Conoor, he can come back to Coorg or Chikmagulur and return back to Hyderabad, without even touching Bangalore. That gives him more time to see these places.
Old 28th April 2010, 07:34   #18
gvk
BHPian

@mjothi & @ampere,
I think you guys are right.. will rework the schedulue.. I need to go Bangalore on my return anyhow to drop my Cousin.
Old 28th April 2010, 09:56   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvk View Post
Ampere,
I was not aware that even in evenings Kumarakom will be so humid. Thought will have the experience of boathouse in the night and can start off in the morning after breakfast.
The main idea of including Kumarakom in this trip is to drive on NH17. I was told that Mangalore to Goa is great pleasure to drive and since this is almost the same stretch I was inclined to include Kumarakom.
Anyhow, thanks for the suggestion. I will reconsider now.
GVK,

NH17 is fun on the Karnataka stretch after Udupi (Thats my perception. Others can comment). Till then its heavy on traffic.

Kerala side is very heavy on traffic. So you may not enjoy that part of NH17. Its really the Udupi/Karwar stretch which is very nice.

That gives you the following:

- 2 days for BLR-HYD (to and fro), leaving 8 days for fun.
- That gives 3 days in Conoor (as it would be coolest of all), 2 days in Waynad and 2 days Coorg/CKM.
- 1 days for transport (need to squeeze) around these places.

Last edited by ampere : 28th April 2010 at 10:01.
Old 28th April 2010, 15:14   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
That gives you the following:

- 2 days for BLR-HYD (to and fro), leaving 8 days for fun.
- That gives 3 days in Conoor (as it would be coolest of all), 2 days in Waynad and 2 days Coorg/CKM.
- 1 days for transport (need to squeeze) around these places.
I would rather suggest that he spends 3 days in wyanad rather than Conoor. There is nothing much to do in conoor for 3 days even if you cover ooty, which would be crowded at this time of the year.

I would also suggest that you spend just a day in coorg. Try and do Valparai.Its a beautiful place though.
Old 28th April 2010, 15:31   #21
MX6
Senior - BHPian

My 2 cents. Count out coorg. Might be cool if there are pre-monsoon showers. Else can be hot even. May is not the time for Coorg. Same with Kumarakom. You can do Bangalore - Bandipur - Coonoor in 10 days. I believe your 10 days include the the 2 day to and fro drive from Hyd to Bangalore as well.
So in 8 days, you can probably catch up with wild-life in Bandipur. Laze around coonoor and probably check out Valparai as well.
Old 28th April 2010, 15:34   #22
Team-BHP Support

Things to do in Conoor : 1 Day for Toy train (kids would love it). 1 day to check out Emerald and Avalanche lake and 1 day Ooty/Conoor sight seeing.

That plan was only an estimate. One can change, as his/her requirement. If you plan Valparai, you need to chuck-off one place. There is no point running around.

This following can also be a good plan:

Hyd-BLR
BLR-Valparai (Via NH7/NH47) (2+ days)
Valparai-Ooty/Conoor (Via Pollachi/CBE/Mettupalayam) (3 days)
Conoor-BLR
BLY-HYD.

Why I stress on three days, is that you can really laze around the place and enjoy.
Old 28th April 2010, 21:17   #23
gvk
BHPian

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions. Today confirmed my leave from 6th to 16th. 7th I will spend with my brother at B'lore. I am left with 8 days. Now my "Bhakt" Cousin, who will join me at B'lore wanted to visit some Temples on the way. Now wondering how can I accommodate his request in this tight schedule!!
Old 28th April 2010, 21:52   #24
Team-BHP Support

Only temple on this circuit will be Chamundi Hills at Mysore. For rest all you will need to deviate. Any deviation, you loose minimum of 2 days.
Old 28th April 2010, 21:57   #25
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you all for your valuable suggestions. Today confirmed my leave from 6th to 16th. 7th I will spend with my brother at B'lore. I am left with 8 days. Now my "Bhakt" Cousin, who will join me at B'lore wanted to visit some Temples on the way. Now wondering how can I accommodate his request in this tight schedule!!
Temples on the way? Well, there's Nanjangud for starters. It's a good temple. Nothing of historicity to visit in coonoor or valparai when it comes to temples. There's Esha yoga centre near Coimbatore enroute to Ooty. It's worth a visit.
Here's a pic of the route to Esha yoga centre. Nice place to relax, meditate and unwind.
Summer South Trip-dhyanalingam.jpg
Old 28th April 2010, 23:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
My 2 cents. Count out coorg. Might be cool if there are pre-monsoon showers. Else can be hot even. May is not the time for Coorg.
I can confirm that Coorg's been having a fair bit of rainfall, and evenings/mornings are very very pleasant. Great weather for walks, cycling etc. Or just chilling. Wayanad should be similar.
Old 29th April 2010, 10:10   #27
BHPian

Quote:

You can also visit Ranganathaswamy temple in Srirangapatna if you are visiting mysore.

Last edited by nandans2005 : 29th April 2010 at 10:11.
Old 29th April 2010, 21:28   #28
gvk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Things to do in Conoor : 1 Day for Toy train (kids would love it). 1 day to check out Emerald and Avalanche lake and 1 day Ooty/Conoor sight seeing.

That plan was only an estimate. One can change, as his/her requirement. If you plan Valparai, you need to chuck-off one place. There is no point running around.

This following can also be a good plan:

Hyd-BLR
BLR-Valparai (Via NH7/NH47) (2+ days)
Valparai-Ooty/Conoor (Via Pollachi/CBE/Mettupalayam) (3 days)
Conoor-BLR
BLY-HYD.

Why I stress on three days, is that you can really laze around the place and enjoy.
Do we really require one full day for Toy train.. Was checking the availability of seats in the train and noticed that the train departs at Ooty at 9.15 a.m and reaches Coonoor at 10.25 a.m
Old 29th April 2010, 21:33   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Do we really require one full day for Toy train.. Was checking the availability of seats in the train and noticed that the train departs at Ooty at 9.15 a.m and reaches Coonoor at 10.25 a.m
Once you reach Conoor, you will spend that day in Conoor looking at Sims Park, can go to Kotagiri, Lambs rock, Dolphin's nose etc.

The day you are in Ooty, you can go around the town.
Old 30th April 2010, 15:18   #30
BHPian

so Gvk,

i think you are confused enough now.

Lets understand once you finalize your plan.

Last edited by nandans2005 : 30th April 2010 at 15:20.

Most Viewed