Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2010, 20:27   #46
gvk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post

Where do you plan to stay in Wynad ? Kalpetta ?

Have a safe trip and enjoy your holiday..
Thanks Kala for your suggestion.
We'll be staying at Sulthan Bathery.
Starting tomorrow morning at 6 a.m.
Thank you and wish you the same.
Old 8th May 2010, 00:02   #47
BHPian

Is our hill stations getting warmer?

I had been to Ooty for three days in April, from 23rd to 25th. Drove from Bangalore to Ooty via Guddalur and came back via the Kalahatty ghat road.

I thought of spending some 'cool' days cuddling under blanket in Ooty, but was surprised to find it warm or rather 'not cool'.

The location where I stayed was perfect in natural settings, 10 cottages in a 10 acre hill side with greenery/farms around. Even then I felt warm at night, I had worn a pullover and no blanket. I had to open the door cum window of my balcony window at night to let have little chill inside. I had a temp gauge which showed the room temp at 24 degrees celcius.

And the first time I drove with A/c in Ooty during noon. Firstly we had gone to Pine Forest. I was profusely sweating after the descend to the lakeside and then the ascend. Had to put on A/c to cool off. After that parked the car in Pykara, under sun and went for walk near the waterfalls. After one hour when we came back the inside of the car was hot like an oven. Then had to put on the A/c at full speed for some time.

By evening, it rained somewhat heavily in Ooty. Normally it happens in summers in Bangalore/Kerala when day temp rises. At Pykara, during noon, the temp guage was showing 30 degrees when placed under Sun.

During the drive back, via the Kalahatty ghat road also, we were feeling warm.
Old 8th May 2010, 07:01   #48
Team-BHP Support

This is surprising. The mercury I thought was about 15-25, which should be pleasant. Looks like its not so cool these days.
Old 8th May 2010, 12:56   #49
MX6
Senior - BHPian

It's a grim reminder of a phenomenon called global warming. When the glaciers are melting on the himalayas, how far is ooty from feeling the warming effect? At higher altitudes, due to lower air pressure, slight increase in temperature gives a more warmer effect than at lower altitudes. School day physics.
Old 8th May 2010, 15:47   #50
Team-BHP Support

What is surprising is that in April when S3Va cancelled his trip, Kannan (I guess) mentioned it was very cold in Ooty.

Sudden change is something which I could not understand.
Old 8th May 2010, 21:58   #51
BHPian

Ya, I had checked the temp on newspapers before the trip, I doubt about the authenticity. I had taken lot of wollens also. But there was no need for them.

My friend from Kochi who was in Kodaikanal the same time also said that it was not cool, just ok.

Perhaps our expectations were more, I wanted to cuddle inside a blanket.

One more thing, I had gone to a restaurant in downtown Ooty. I saw for the first time ceiling fans rotating at full speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
This is surprising. The mercury I thought was about 15-25, which should be pleasant. Looks like its not so cool these days.

Last edited by sudheeshnairs : 8th May 2010 at 22:00.
Old 9th May 2010, 08:34   #52
Team-BHP Support

When there are kids involved, better not to take chances.
In the hills the climate changes in a flash.
Old 10th May 2010, 14:35   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheeshnairs View Post

My friend from Kochi who was in Kodaikanal the same time also said that it was not cool, just ok.

i just returned from a family vacation. I was in kodaikanal for couple of days. The temperature was not high. It was cool during the day and quite cold in the night. I was quite dissappointed with the weather though.I expected it to be lot better than my previous visit.
Old 20th May 2010, 09:53   #54
gvk
BHPian

Completed the Holiday trip as planned. Thank you all guys for your tips and suggestions. Shall post the pictures shortly under the same caption "Summer South Trip 2010" in travelogue section.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks