Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2010, 19:53   #1
gvk
BHPian

Summer South Trip

Dear All,

Planning a vacation during 2nd week of May. We are considering the following options.

Option - I

1) Hyderabad to Bangalore : 568 Kms.
Bangalore to Kodaikanal : 527 kms.
Kadaikanal to Wayanad : 471 Kms. (Via Ernakulam)
Wayanad to Coonoor : 152 Kms.
Coonoor to Coorg : 255 Kms.
Coorg to Bangalore : 255 Kms.
Bangalore to Hyderabad : 568 Kms.
_________
2796 Kms.

Option - II

2) Hyderabad to Bangalore : 568 Kms.
Bangalore to Coorg : 255 Kms.
Coorg to Coonoor : 255 Kms.
Coorg to Wayanad : 137 Kms.
Wayanad to Valparai : 278 Kms.
Valparai to Bangalore : 409 Kms.

We have around 10 days at our disposal. Planning to travel in my Xylo.
Looking forward for suggestions and views from esteemed BHPians.
Old 27th April 2010, 20:13   #2
BHPian

Gvk,

i personally feel that 10 days is little short. By the way, the distance between Bangalore to kodaikanal is 405kms approx.

How many days you are planning to stay over at the places you have mentioned?
Old 27th April 2010, 20:34   #3
BHPian

gvk,

Blore to kodai can be done in 2 routes
Route 1. Blore>Hosur>Krishnagiri>toppur>salem>Karur>Dindugu l>kodai road>vattalangadu> Kodai Hills = 480KMS (major on NH7 & partly in SH)
Route 2. Blore>Hosur>Krishnagiri>toppur>mettur>bhavani>peru ndarai>kangayam>dharapuram>palanai>Kodai Hills = 440KMS (upto toppur on NH7 & others on SH's)
Route is Sceinic & SH's are 2 lane roads in good condition.
About Kodai hills tourism refer to my travelouge Kodaikanal princess hill in summer 2010.
From Kodaikanal>palani>pollachi>coimbatore>udagamandala m>sultan bathery>waynad>coorg
Regards
Sree
Old 27th April 2010, 20:52   #4
BHPian

GVK - I'll be watching this thread closely. Am from Hyd too and am looking at a 10 day South vacation during June end. However, for your query, here's what I think, based on my recent trip from Hyd to Chikmagalur, Mysore etc.,

You only have 10 days and are trying to cover too many ghat destinations - the fatigue catches on for the co-passengers and you too will feel like driving from one mountain to the other seeing almost similar things. I had initially planned to do Chikmagalur and Kudremukh, but after a spending 3-4 days driving around CKM ghats, we decided to ditch the ghats and went off towards Belur, Halebeid, Mysore etc., and spent 3-4 days around the plains.

You might also want to plan in a similar manner - you can say, do the beaches and backwaters (around Ernakulama) for a couple of days (it'll be a challenge given the temperatures) and then head to a cooler destination like Wayand/Valparai before returning to Bangalore. Coorg may not be a good idea in May as I believe it'll be hot and dry there.

Ofcourse a lot depends on what you want to do - if your co-passengers love to go mountain hopping, nothing like cutting across Wayanads/Valparai/Munnar. You have some interesting route suggestion of late on these destinations in Travelogue/Route queries

Last edited by KESriram : 27th April 2010 at 20:54.
Old 27th April 2010, 21:05   #5
gvk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
Gvk,

i personally feel that 10 days is little short. By the way, the distance between Bangalore to kodaikanal is 405kms approx.

How many days you are planning to stay over at the places you have mentioned?
Hi.. As you rightly said 10 days is too short.. We are contemplating to skip Coonoor and Kodaikanal and restrict the trip to Coorg, Wayanad and Valparai.
I got those distances from Google Maps.
Now that those two places are knocked off, we can spend around two days. Bangalore it's only night stay.
Old 27th April 2010, 21:14   #6
gvk
BHPian

@KESriram, Thanks. I think we'll consider your suggestion. Our tour plan is not yet finalized. We will start mostly on 8th May and return back by 17th. We're now considering only Coorg, Wayanad and Valparai.
Old 27th April 2010, 21:38   #7
BHPian

from what i understand, the weather at Coorg is right now cool. Also its raining in bangalore these days. You get a cool coorg to stay over.

Having gone to wyanad many times, my personally experience has been that April is the best month to visit Wayanad. It depends on which side you want to enter Wyanad. You get beautiful resorts to stay in the heart of the wilderness.

Valparai is a good choice too. You can visit Indira Gandhi widlife sanctuary. I found the short drive from pollachi to valparai every nice.There are loads of chance to see the giant tailed squirrel.Also you can visit couple of dams nearby.

Try & stay at wyanad for a minimum of two nights to get the real feel of the nature.

By the way, is the highway between Hyd and Bangalore fully done up? i had a tough time when i drove to hyd last year.

Last edited by nandans2005 : 27th April 2010 at 21:41.
Old 27th April 2010, 21:58   #8
gvk
BHPian

I think the Highway is almost done now.. Recently been to Kurnool in little over 2 hours.
Now my friend suggested this option: Hyderabad - Bangalore - Coorg - Wayanad - Kumarkom - Valparai - Bangalore - Hyderabad.
If required I'll extend my leave for two more days. or will skip Coorg/Valparai.
Old 27th April 2010, 22:15   #9
BHPian

Gvk,

April-May is not the best month to visit kumarkom. The temperature rises a lot. I have worked in this state(Cochin) for an year & believe me its definitely GOD's own country.

My personal suggestion would be to avoid going to kumarkom. Being in Hyd, why do you want to visit one more hot place? But yes, you get to experience exotic backwaters for sure.

Anyway discuss among your folks and come to a good decision.Opinions keep pouring in, end of day you should decide whats best for you.

I am also on a 10 days visit down south from 1st May.

Last edited by nandans2005 : 27th April 2010 at 22:19.
Old 27th April 2010, 22:26   #10
Team-BHP Support

If you remove Kodai, you can spend about 2 days each in Conoor, Waynad and Coorg. That saves you on travel time as well.
It would be always fun lazing around in one place rather than running around.

You can do Hyd/Bangalore/Ooty/Waynad/Coorg.
Old 27th April 2010, 22:33   #11
gvk
BHPian

nandans2005,
We are planning to reach Kumarkom by evening and spend the night in a boathouse and leave to Valparai next morning. We are expecting pleasant evening at Kumarkom. Planning to spend two nights each at Wayanad and Valparai.
Old 27th April 2010, 22:38   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvk View Post
nandans2005,
We are planning to reach Kumarkom by evening and spend the night in a boathouse and leave to Valparai next morning. We are expecting pleasant evening at Kumarkom. Planning to spend two nights each at Wayanad and Valparai.
GVK,

It would too hot and humid at Kumarakom. May not be worth going at this hour. Not sure if you have already booked.

Mods,

Sorry for the back to back response. I saw a post being made in between. Not sure how to combine these posts of mine.
Please combine them.

Last edited by ampere : 27th April 2010 at 22:40.
Old 27th April 2010, 23:32   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
It would too hot and humid at Kumarakom. May not be worth going at this hour. Not sure if you have already booked.
Would it be any better in July???
Old 28th April 2010, 06:45   #14
Team-BHP Support

I had been to Kumarakom in Dec and even then I was sweating profusely! You can imagine, how it would be in July !

My take at the place:

If you want to laze around and not go anywhere, go to Kumarakom enjoy pool, 5 Star comfort of a resort/huoseboat. Once in a while you can step out to a boat ride. If you are a guy who wants to go around and see places, Kumarakom is not the place. Its a place more for honeymooners! Not much to do around.

This I sadly found out after being to that place !
Old 28th April 2010, 07:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvk View Post

Option - II

2) Hyderabad to Bangalore : 568 Kms.
Bangalore to Coorg : 255 Kms.
Coorg to Coonoor : 255 Kms.
Coorg to Wayanad : 137 Kms.
Wayanad to Valparai : 278 Kms.
Valparai to Bangalore : 409 Kms.

We have around 10 days at our disposal. Planning to travel in my Xylo.
Looking forward for suggestions and views from esteemed BHPians.
I would say you should restrict the number of places.

Bangalore - coonoor - wayanad and valparai should be ideal for 10days. Else it would be tiresome I think.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks