Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2010, 21:13   #1
BHPian

Bangalore to B.R. Hills (K Gudi Wilderness Camp)

Hello guys.. I am planning on going to B.R. Hills on he 7th from Bangalore and was wondering if anyone has gone there recently. I would like to know which of he 3 routes mentioned below would be a better choice and faster as I have heard that the Chamrajnagar route is quite bad as of now (not sure if this is true though). Please help me out. Would like to take a route with better roads if not the best of roads!

Bangalore-Mysore-Nanjangud-Chamrajnagar-BRT-K.Gudi (would be my 1st choice as I know how to get to Nanjangud

Bangalore-Kanakpura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Yallandur-BRT-K.Gudi

Bangalore-Maddur -Malavalli-Kollegal-Yallandur-BRT-K.Gudi

Thanks
Old 29th April 2010, 10:47   #2
BHPian

Guys please do share if you have gone that side on the condition of the road. Waiting to hear from you soon.
Old 29th April 2010, 10:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...oad-kgudi.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ions-here.html

These two should give you some info.
Old 29th April 2010, 10:59   #4
Team-BHP Support

Nanjangud road is easy and if you start early, you have options for breaks/food. Not sure of the Kanakpura side. But it is a very scenic ride and also bumpy.

If you go via Mysore/Nanjangud you do at least 70Km more. So I would say carry food from home and take the Kanakpura highway.

Since its bumpy, if you want to take Mysore as others suggest (its also fast), at Nanjangud ask for the Chamarajnagar detour.
Straight road goes to Gundlupet.

Last edited by ampere : 29th April 2010 at 11:02.
Old 29th April 2010, 11:08   #5
BHPian

I had been to BR Hills around 2 months back from Mysore.
The onward route was Mysore - T Narsipur - Mugur - Yelandur - BR Hills. This route was OK except for few KMs after Yelandur.

While coming back took the longer route BR Hills - K Gudi (had lunch here) - Chamarajnagar - Nanjangud - Mysore. This route goes inside the forest for 20-25 KMS. Upto K Gudi the road is OK and from K Gudi to Chamarajnagar the road is bad and non existent in few places. From Chamarajnagar to Nanjangud the road is OK. It was newly laid for some 10 KMS exiting Chamarajnagar and patched up till Nanjangud. Nanjangud to Mysore is also patched up. The second route is lengthier by 30 KMS (to Mysore)

I have no idea on the Bangalore - Yallandur stretch, if this stretch is OK then i would recommend this route: Bangalore-Maddur -Malavalli-Kollegal-Yallandur-BRT-K.Gudi

I guess the temple atop closes by 12:30/1:00 PM. Not many hotels atop. Better carry your own food. It has rained well so expect puddles and lots for greenery...
Old 29th April 2010, 11:22   #6
Team-BHP Support

If it has rained, then its better to take the Mysore route rather than Kanakpura.
Old 29th April 2010, 11:36   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
I had been to BR Hills around 2 months back from Mysore.
The onward route was Mysore - T Narsipur - Mugur - Yelandur - BR Hills. This route was OK except for few KMs after Yelandur.

While coming back took the longer route BR Hills - K Gudi (had lunch here) - Chamarajnagar - Nanjangud - Mysore. This route goes inside the forest for 20-25 KMS. Upto K Gudi the road is OK and from K Gudi to Chamarajnagar the road is bad and non existent in few places. From Chamarajnagar to Nanjangud the road is OK. It was newly laid for some 10 KMS exiting Chamarajnagar and patched up till Nanjangud. Nanjangud to Mysore is also patched up. The second route is lengthier by 30 KMS (to Mysore)

I have no idea on the Bangalore - Yallandur stretch, if this stretch is OK then i would recommend this route: Bangalore-Maddur -Malavalli-Kollegal-Yallandur-BRT-K.Gudi

I guess the temple atop closes by 12:30/1:00 PM. Not many hotels atop. Better carry your own food. It has rained well so expect puddles and lots for greenery...
Thanks. I also spoke to the K Gudi guys and they were recommending the Malavalli-Yallandur route. I guess I will take that. Its just that I am not to familiar with it so would have been more comfortable taking the Nanjangud - Chamrajnagar route.

Guys any idea about how the road is between Maddur and Yallandur? or it it better to hit Yallandur via Kanakpura road?
Old 29th April 2010, 11:55   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
Hello guys.. I am planning on going to B.R. Hills on he 7th from Bangalore and was wondering if anyone has gone there recently. I would like to know which of he 3 routes mentioned below would be a better choice and faster as I have heard that the Chamrajnagar route is quite bad as of now (not sure if this is true though). Please help me out. Would like to take a route with better roads if not the best of roads!

Bangalore-Mysore-Nanjangud-Chamrajnagar-BRT-K.Gudi (would be my 1st choice as I know how to get to Nanjangud

Bangalore-Kanakpura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Yallandur-BRT-K.Gudi

Bangalore-Maddur -Malavalli-Kollegal-Yallandur-BRT-K.Gudi

Thanks
@sarmarishi-I will recommend you to take this route: Bangalore-Maddur -Malavalli-Kollegal-Yallandur-BRT-K.Gudi

I had been to KGUDI in last November and had taken the above route (to and fro).
Coming to the road conditions:

1.Bangalore to Maddur-Guess you know (Its superb)
2.Maddur to Malavalli-Distance is ~28kms and one can maintain 60kmph. Watch out for speed brakers near villages which are not marked
3.Malavalli to Kollegal-Again excellent road,not so good near to kollegal which may be for 2kms
4.Kollegal to Yallandur-Good road one can maintain 60kmph easily
5.Yallandur to BRT-Soon after yallandur some streching was relaying at that time may be its should be good now. Once you reach BRT check post you need to give Rs10 tips to incharge person at the gate. Road is excellent with the thick jungle sorrounding. Watch out for animal crossing so donot overspeed incase you are lucky you can spot some wild animals
6.BRT-KGUDI-Again excellent,its a single lane jungle road so no overspeeding.

Last November I left home early in morning say 6am and could able to reach BRT by 10am,spent 30min in BRT and had a nice darshan and then moved to KGUDI and reached there by 11.15am.

While driving through B.R hills I spotted a lone Tusker crossing the road so I stopped my vehcile say 100mts before and watched its movement and also clicked few photos but suddenly a van came from opposite direction and started shouting loudly so the Tusker got irritated and about to charge the van but some how changed its mood and went inside jungle. So be careful while driving inside jungle as it is very isolated if you are driving on a weekday if its weekend then it will be rush. Also one is not suppoed to stop in b/w the B.R.hills check post and BRT.

Have a nice trip and do share your exp after your return. Incase you need any other info then do let me know.

Regards

Sanjeev
Old 29th April 2010, 12:27   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanju.iitm View Post
@sarmarishi-I will recommend you to take this route: Bangalore-Maddur -Malavalli-Kollegal-Yallandur-BRT-K.Gudi

I had been to KGUDI in last November and had taken the above route (to and fro).
Coming to the road conditions:

1.Bangalore to Maddur-Guess you know (Its superb)
2.Maddur to Malavalli-Distance is ~28kms and one can maintain 60kmph. Watch out for speed brakers near villages which are not marked
3.Malavalli to Kollegal-Again excellent road,not so good near to kollegal which may be for 2kms
4.Kollegal to Yallandur-Good road one can maintain 60kmph easily
5.Yallandur to BRT-Soon after yallandur some streching was relaying at that time may be its should be good now. Once you reach BRT check post you need to give Rs10 tips to incharge person at the gate. Road is excellent with the thick jungle sorrounding. Watch out for animal crossing so donot overspeed incase you are lucky you can spot some wild animals
6.BRT-KGUDI-Again excellent,its a single lane jungle road so no overspeeding.

Last November I left home early in morning say 6am and could able to reach BRT by 10am,spent 30min in BRT and had a nice darshan and then moved to KGUDI and reached there by 11.15am.

While driving through B.R hills I spotted a lone Tusker crossing the road so I stopped my vehcile say 100mts before and watched its movement and also clicked few photos but suddenly a van came from opposite direction and started shouting loudly so the Tusker got irritated and about to charge the van but some how changed its mood and went inside jungle. So be careful while driving inside jungle as it is very isolated if you are driving on a weekday if its weekend then it will be rush. Also one is not suppoed to stop in b/w the B.R.hills check post and BRT.

Have a nice trip and do share your exp after your return. Incase you need any other info then do let me know.

Regards

Sanjeev

Thank you so much Sanjeev. Thats a great piece of information. I will definitely follow this now as it matches what the guy at K Gudi also told me with regards to the road condition. I am leaving on 7th early morning, which is a friday so I hope there wont be too much traffic inside and I get a few wild animals on the road to photograph
Old 29th April 2010, 15:44   #10
BHPian

I will assure you that you will have a great time in KGudi. When I visited last time the JLR Manager advised me to visit once more in summer for more sightings of wild cats since in November the Jungle was thick and entire region has lot of slopes (when compared to Kabini which is flat) which makes difficult to sight animals. Speciality of KGudi is that one can see the wildlife at very close distance of say less than 100mts.

I also sighted a kind of rare snake near my tent and Wild Boar will be just roaming around our tents. JLR guys say that it won't harm anyone but still I didnt take risk of going near to it for photos.
Old 29th April 2010, 16:07   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanju.iitm View Post
I will assure you that you will have a great time in KGudi. When I visited last time the JLR Manager advised me to visit once more in summer for more sightings of wild cats since in November the Jungle was thick and entire region has lot of slopes (when compared to Kabini which is flat) which makes difficult to sight animals. Speciality of KGudi is that one can see the wildlife at very close distance of say less than 100mts.

I also sighted a kind of rare snake near my tent and Wild Boar will be just roaming around our tents. JLR guys say that it won't harm anyone but still I didnt take risk of going near to it for photos.
Thanks. I hope it is better at this time of the year. I would have ideally liked to go to warmer places like MP or Tadoba as it makes for excellent sightings due to dried up water holes but couldnt. Hope K Gudi doesnt dissapoint. I have been trying to see the ever elusive cat for many years now without any luck!
Old 30th August 2011, 13:21   #12
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to B.R. Hills (K Gudi Wilderness Camp)

I am going to Br hills tomorrow from Banglore. I am planning to take route no. 1. How is the latest road conditions between Mysore and Chamragnagar.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks