Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2010, 20:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Seriously consider avoiding Delhi if there is no need to be there.

Ahmedabad - Behor : Reduce distance to travel and entering Delhi with madcap traffic chaos.
Next day do Behror - Manali bye-passing Delhi entirely using Behor-Rohtak- Sonepat or Behror-Rohtak-Panipat or even Behror-Rohtak-Nirwana-Ambala
You can easily do Ahmedabad-Behror the same day. Crossing Delhi is not too much of a problem, and if you are leaving Behror early in the morning (by b5 am), you will have an easy drive through Delhi. I would avoid the Rohtak route completely, not worth taking the 2-lane roads.

Quote:
And if you are considering doing Leh circuitously (going in or coming back) from Srinagar then I'd suggest - Ahmedabad-Palanpur-Abu Road-Sirohi-Jodhpur-Bikaner-Ganganagar-Amritsar-Pathnkot-Jammu-Srinager route.
This is an excellent route, I have done this in 2004 while returning from Leh via Srinagar, except that I came via Jaisalmer instead of Jodhpur. Roads excellent all along. However, the temptation to stop over for some sightseeing in Rajasthan will be too strong. If you take this route, you can leave Ahmedabad and reach SriGanganagar the same day, if not better (say, Bhatinda). Next day, you can cross Amritsar and reach Jammu/Udhampur.
Old 3rd June 2010, 11:12   #17
BHPian

@hvkumar, i agree with you that there is no point in kms in the leh area. just put it there for reference. one of the reason why i asked for a mid way accommodation point, because it will be too tight and i doubt if we can reach tangste if we leave panamik by 12 or 1 !!

Also the number of people, 3 is definite. But if the 4th guy confirms, we cannot say no to him for this reason . We will have to do like what u said, allow the non-drivers at that stage a short trek here and there !!

We need to go to delhi only on the return side, we can consider the route mentioned by sudev and you.

also we have no plans to do the srinagar route this time atleast !

I have asked the Mass guy and he said he can do the sump guard and fuel tank guard. He said he will get the aluminum sheet(price depending on the thickness) and the bolt it by removing the plastic guards that are already there. he told it will not be too expensive

Last edited by madhukar_n : 3rd June 2010 at 11:15.
Old 15th July 2010, 13:28   #18
BHPian

Madhukar, as Sudev, HVK and LOG mentioned though doable but would require a lot of patience (driving) negotiating Rohtang onwards.

From my little camping experience, since you are 3-4 folks, fresh water, some ready/easy to cook supplies, HVK, Sudev ji would vouch for it, usually August is a time for mad-cap rain in some parts and snow in higher reaches, roads would be unstable and may stop you in your tracks, these times little emergency ration is a lifesaver.

I had got these guards installed for my 800, though, never required it apart from once, make sure the fit is really good, get it done infront of yourself.

Regarding your traverse from B,lore to Manali, since all or most of your know how to drive, use that time to reach, though Surat and around some areas are chaotic due to industrial traffic, mostly these truckers are fairly disciplined your passage through this corridor will be fastest during night time, some of us who have done these routes, always prefer longer nonstop hours since it gives us lot of time when we need it.

Whats the fun if I have to park my car after 8 pm and find a bed in plains, which I usually do when I am home too

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks