Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2010, 16:36   #1
BHPian

Saklespur and around

Hello All

With some rains from last 2 weeks, i feel, its a decent time to head to the ghats which all of us, here in Karnataka love to do.

From last year or so, i have been thinking of exploring the roads in the Sakleshpur area. Looking at the google Earth view over this area, i would want to cover the following places:

Saleshpur - Kudlipet - Sanivarsanthe - Somvarpet - SH85 (KP)

This plan is for a Sat and Sun. Kindly suggest, how i can explore this area, wat route to take, where to stay over night on sat.

My vehicle is a Fiesta

Regards
Pramod
Old 3rd May 2010, 17:07   #2
BHPian

Mods -- Kindly change the spelling in the topic to "Saklespur"
Old 4th May 2010, 10:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Pramod,
Ther's nothing much to see in the mentioned places. Except for the Munjrabad fort & small scenic hills . It's just the roads.
Lovely winding roads.
For staying I would suggest this place.
Jenukallu Valley Retreat - Abode of nature
It's my cousin's resort.
Old 4th May 2010, 10:59   #4
BHPian

hey pramod, i will suggest "Rottikallu" if you are looking for a place to enjoy near sakleshpur.

it's a lovely place surrounded by mist covered hills and a stream which runs parallel to the resort.

i should mention about the food they provide it is a treat you will find a different taste which you have never tasted.

Rotti-kallu | Sakleshpur | Karnataka | India
Old 4th May 2010, 12:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

As Sushrutha said, there is not much to be seen in the route you have specified. If you are willing to deviate these are a few options.

Option 1: Sakleshpur-Manjarabad fort-Donigal-Byakaravalli (turn right towards Hethur)-Hethur-Hongadahalla-Kaginahare & Mookana Mane Abbi falls

There is a small fort/watch tower on a hill in Kaginahare. It is the end of the road here. Mookana Mane Abbi falls comes in between Hongadahalla & Kaginahare. btw, Hongadahalla is supposed to receive the second highest rainfall in Karnataka after the Agumbe/Hulikal region

The road was good up to Hethur. After Hethur, it is rough, but you can manage it in a Fiesta.

Option 2: Sakleshpur-Manjarabad fort-Donigal-Shukravarasante-Kodlipet-Shanivarsante-Somwarpet-Mallalli falls

I do not know about the road conditons on this route. But, I'd suggest you visit Mallalli falls once. It is the biggest waterfall in Coorg. Mallalli falls is around 25 kms from Somwarpet and the road is good.

Suggested itinerary

Day 1: Check-in in a homestay (IIRC, T-Bhpian chandan has a homestay in this region) or hotel in Sakleshpur (I'd suggest Hotel Ashritha). Visit Manjarabad Fort-Hongadahalla-Kaginahare-Mookana Mane Abbi falls and come back. This can be easily done in a day.

Day 2: Leave early to Somwarpet, Visit Mallalli falls by lunch time and start back to Bangalore.

Route is Mallalli Falls-Somwarpet-Kushalnagar-Harangi Dam (optional)-Hunsur-Elavala-Srirangapatna-Bangalore

I have written travelogues on these places, You can go through them for reference.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...aginahare.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...lli-falls.html
Old 4th May 2010, 18:22   #6
BHPian

Thanks guys! Thats a lot of info. This should help.

The trigger for this drive is that, when i had done Yedakumeri trek way back in 2002, we had climbed up from Yedakumeri and reached a road after 3 hours of trek. We got a KSRTC bus from here to Sakleshpur.
The sights i viewed that day on that 2 hour bus journey was something i will never forget. I expect that road to be somewhere near Kudlipet/Sanivarsanthe area. Hence the plan.
Old 5th May 2010, 11:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
Thanks guys! Thats a lot of info. This should help.

The trigger for this drive is that, when i had done Yedakumeri trek way back in 2002, we had climbed up from Yedakumeri and reached a road after 3 hours of trek. We got a KSRTC bus from here to Sakleshpur.
The sights i viewed that day on that 2 hour bus journey was something i will never forget. I expect that road to be somewhere near Kudlipet/Sanivarsanthe area. Hence the plan.
Pramod, that place is Kaginahare. Even I took the same route when I did the trek. The only difference was that the bus did not come that day and we had to walk 7 kms to Hongadahalla to catch another bus

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks