Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2014, 15:56   #16
BHPian

re: Mumbai - Indore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmolChaps View Post
While on my way back I plan to take the Indore-Khandwa-Burhanpur-Jalgaon-Duhle-Thane route. Please let me know condition of this return trip route. Can it be driven in the night and are there good places to stop for food. I plan to travel with family. Thanks in advance!
Unless you have some work along this route OR you are taking this route just as an off-drive, I would suggest that you stick to the NH3. The NH3 in MP is far better than in MH. The drive is much faster on the NH3. Moreover since you are travelling with family you will have better options on the NH3.

Of course, the Burhanpur road is also good and scenic too. But in my view will take you longer than the NH3.
Old 22nd October 2014, 18:05   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
Unless you have some work along this route OR you are taking this route just as an off-drive, I would suggest that you stick to the NH3. The NH3 in MP is far better than in MH. The drive is much faster on the NH3. Moreover since you are travelling with family you will have better options on the NH3.

Of course, the Burhanpur road is also good and scenic too. But in my view will take you longer than the NH3.
Thanks for the reply, I did want to visit Burhanpur on my way back, but it is not important if there is too much of hassle. But as you suggested, I will change my plan and stick to NH3. Thanks again!
Old 26th October 2014, 16:25   #18
BHPian

Tye Burhanpur route is 2-laned route with not many options. In dhule just as you enter you can find decent hotels on the highway itself. Though NH3 is far more advisable to take than this route
bhavtol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 10:47   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
Hi,

Can anyone help with good petrol bunks enroute (Bombay-Indore). Thanks.
While Bunks are plenty, I found the cheapest fuel on the way at the HP Pumps just before the Nashik Ghats. Most HP pumps are decent, and some have the "Fleur" branded washrooms as well which are clean enough to consider use in case you have female company on the journey.

Also, Toll cost for me was INR 666 not including the Kharegaon toll (Not applicable to us) as well as the Mumbai 35 Rs Tolls (We stay in Thane)

Roads are fantastic. We left at 4.43 AM and reached our place near Dewas Naka at 2 PM on the dot. Odometer reading of 598.9 Kms. Stuck to a maximum speed of 90 on the dashboard, took halts for breakfast, kiddie breakfast, kiddie diaper change, fuel, and just for the view.

Just note that there are some bad patches in all the Ghats, so best to go slow.
latentpotential is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 19:25   #20
BHPian

Mumbai - Indore road conditions

Hi,
I am planning a road trip from Mumbai to Indore during mid-August 2016. Do any of you know the current road conditions (after the heavy rains) and whether it is safe to drive? We will be having a senior citizen (in robust health) with us as well. Please advise.
Best,
Ram
Old 3rd January 2018, 15:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

Bumping an old thread.

Just completed a Thane - Indore - Thane road trip in the last week of Dec. Took the NH3 route via Nashik, Malegaon, Dhule, Sendhwa to Indore. The roads till Indore are 4 laned and fantastic to drive. Only exception is after 20 kms away from Nashik the road becomes 2 laned for a couple of kms and then again becomes 4 laned.

I think I lost the count of no of rumble strips at regular intervals on the NH3. Most of them are clearly marked with signs atleast 400 mtrs before the rumbler strips, some re even located 50 mtrs before and some even at the spot of the rumbler strips. even the rumble strips are uneven, some places have 2 humps, 3 humps and even 7 humps. One needs to drive carefully over these mini speed breakers coz there is a risk of tyre damage or suspension damage.

There are 10 tolls on the way, 7 in Maharashtra and 3 in Madhya Pradesh states. The Kharegaon & Nardana tolls are not existent, Toll taken at Arjunali is valid at Ghoti and toll taken at Chandwad is valid at Dhule. One toll missing in the list was the Sonway toll about 21 kms before Indore where the charge is Rs 30. I paid a total of Rs 681 as tolls as against Rs 912 advertised on NHAI website. I have attached the toll list for reference.

Regarding eateries, one has to have their fill before Dhule coz afterwards there aren't any good restaurants. Petrol pumps are plenty on the route.

Mumbai - Indore-nh3-tolls.png

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th March 2019 at 13:00.
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 15:46   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Bumping an old thread.

Just completed a Thane - Indore - Thane road trip in the last week of Dec. Took the NH3 route via Nashik, Malegaon, Dhule, Sendhwa to Indore. The roads till Indore are 4 laned and fantastic to drive. Only exception is after 20 kms away from Nashik the road becomes 2 laned for a couple of kms and then again becomes 4 laned.

I think I lost the count of no of rumbler strips at regular intervals on the NH3. Most of them are clearly marked with signs atleast 400 mtrs before the rumbler strips, some re even located 50 mtrs before and some even at the spot of the rumbler strips. even the rumbler strips are uneven, some places have 2 humps, 3 humps and even 7 humps. One needs to drive carefully over these mini speed breakers coz there is a risk of tyre damage or suspension damage.

There are 10 tolls on the way, 7 in Maharashtra and 3 in Madhya Pradesh states. The Kharegaon & Nardana tolls are not existent, Toll taken at Arjunali is valid at Ghoti and toll taken at Chandwad is valid at Dhule. One toll missing in the list was the Sonway toll about 21 kms before Indore where the charge is Rs 30. I paid a total of Rs 681 as tolls as against Rs 912 advertised on NHAI website. I have attached the toll list for reference.

Regarding eateries, one has to have their fill before Dhule coz afterwards there aren't any good restaurants. Petrol pumps are plenty on the route.
This is very useful information for me as I plan to do a Mumbai Indore journey in Feb. The fact that the roads are fantastic is great news, so wanted to know much time did you take to complete this journey and what were the average speeds maintained?

Another question is you have mentioned lots of petrol pumps enroute but I have suffered in the past with fuel quality after filling up on one of these. So can you recommend any particular pump to ensure good quality diesel, say 500kms out of Mumbai?
Old 3rd January 2018, 15:59   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
This is very useful information for me as I plan to do a Mumbai Indore journey in Feb. The fact that the roads are fantastic is great news, so wanted to know much time did you take to complete this journey and what were the average speeds maintained?

Another question is you have mentioned lots of petrol pumps enroute but I have suffered in the past with fuel quality after filling up on one of these. So can you recommend any particular pump to ensure good quality diesel, say 500kms out of Mumbai?
It took me 9.30 hrs to cover the Thane-Indore and Indore-Thane distance of 581 kms. In addition I took 15 mins break every 2 hrs and 30 mins break fro breakfast. I maintained 80 kmph speeds till day break since I started early around 5 am. After day break, I regularly maintained 100 kmph.

I generally don't refuel in between the road journey since I had refueled in Thane and Indore before leaving. I may not be able to tell which bunk to refuel, but I prefer IOC ones. 500 kms out of Mumbai means you are very lose to Indore then. As you approach Indore any bunk should be preferred. Sorry if this doesn't help you.
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2019, 12:39   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post

Hi Sparkled
Did you do the Mumbai Indore drive ? If yes could you share the road conditions and also decent eateries enroute . Ghodlur has adviced to eat before Dhule as eateries will be scarce post dhule also any pointers on starting stopping time Ghodlur / Sparkled ! I shall be doing the same with family during the hot months of May end or June 1st week .
Old 24th March 2019, 15:23   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-hawk View Post
Hi Sparkled
Did you do the Mumbai Indore drive ? If yes could you share the road conditions and also decent eateries enroute . Ghodlur has adviced to eat before Dhule as eateries will be scarce post dhule also any pointers on starting stopping time Ghodlur / Sparkled ! I shall be doing the same with family during the hot months of May end or June 1st week .
I did this journey last year. I am not sure if you saw the date of my post

The road was excellent and my Crysta Auto did an excllent job in we covering this distance in about 9.5 hours with 2-3 stops. I should imagine the road to still be in great condition as its one of the important highways connecting Mumbai to Central India.
SPARKled is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 13:53   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-hawk View Post
Hi Sparkled
Hello M-hawk,

I do this route every alternate month, the roads are fantastic, apart from the diversions at Nasik the roads are pretty much straight forward.

Just be careful and aware of speed breakers which are there at almost every major junction, 1 or 2 sets of 3 breakers each, apart from this there is nothing much.

We usually stop at a dhaba after Dhule, just before the next toll. I can't place the name of the place, will check and update here.

After Nasik there are hardly any decent eateries, and Dhule being the next big town does not have any good place on the highway either.

Cheers,
Old 9th May 2019, 20:19   #27
Senior - BHPian

Just completed another Navi Mumbai - Indore journey yesterday. Started around 7 AM and the first surprise was that the uphill stretch of the Kasara ghat was closed for traffic, thus all traffic towards Igatpuri was diverted on the downhill stretch. Slow ambling trucks made the climb quite slow. I am not sure if this was just a temporary closure or if this will extend further.

Next phase of slow traffic was encountered after climbing down the Nasik bypass flyover. Work has started to extend the bypass all the way till Ozar. Makes sense for the future, but the progess was painfully slow all the way till the HAL campus gate.

Dhule finally has a decent place to eat on the highway. Its hotel Orchid and its just on the left of the flyover that bypasses the entry to Dhule city, which is the flyover before the flyover that one avoids for the right turn to Jalgaon.

Last edited by SPARKled : 9th May 2019 at 20:21.
Old 30th October 2022, 09:30   #28
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Indore

Happy Diwali Friends!

We did Mumbai Indore trip on 23rd October 2022. The road is superb throughout, with beautiful surface in MP. Some portions between Mumbai and Nashik have poor surface. Traffic is very heavy between Mumbai and Nashik, but gets better after that.

Lots of places for food and fuel throughout the journey.
sidoza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 21:35   #29
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Indore

Hi all, I am planning a road trip in first week of May from Mumbai to Indore and Ujjain. How is the road surface, any idea?

Also, I see that Google Maps show travel time of around 11.5 hours from NAVI Mumbai to Indore. However, in the posts above the time mentioned is around 9.5 hours, am I missing something?

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks