Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2013, 12:18   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: perrambalur-thuraiyur-karur-dharapuram-pollachi- road condition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Latest update from my side - Did a trip to my DPM during last week for pongal and returned on 16th Wednesday. As said before the Trichy to Kulithalai is still not done.
Did you do Perrambalur-Thuraiyur-Kulithalai or went via Trichy?

Because the route suggested in the title ie Perrambalur-Thuraiyur-Kulithalai; seems a very good option now exp given the fact that Karur-Kulithalai is complete. This also looks like a good alternative to Ulundurpet-Salem-CBE.

(Perramabalur-Thuraiyur-Kulthalai-Karur-Palladam-Sulur-CBE)

Most importantly bypasses both Salem and Trichy completely. Also is an excellent option to reach Dharapuram as you suggested.
Old 5th June 2013, 14:00   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
This also looks like a good alternative to Ulundurpet-Salem-CBE.

Most importantly bypasses both Salem and Trichy completely. Also is an excellent option to reach Dharapuram as you suggested.
Yes. This is an alternative. But, I would prefer Chennai-Ulundurper-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Coimbatore or Perundurai-Avanashi-Annur-Coimbatore as we would get 4 Lane all the way till Avanashi.

Salem - Attur is almost done with only one flyover construction pending but, we get a well laid road for the diversion. Salem bypass is also done and the road from Attur will take all the way to hit the NH-47.
Old 5th June 2013, 14:13   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Yes. This is an alternative. But, I would prefer Chennai-Ulundurper-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Coimbatore or Perundurai-Avanashi-Annur-Coimbatore as we would get 4 Lane all the way till Avanashi.
I also realize for folks doing Chennai-Munnar: They will do the Udumalpettai circuit at least once for the views it offers. In that case, this becomes a good choice of route:

Munnar-Udumalpet-Dharapuram-Karur-Kulithalai-Thraiyur-Perrambalur-Tindivanam-Chennai.
Old 7th October 2013, 16:05   #19
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Did you do Perrambalur-Thuraiyur-Kulithalai or went via Trichy?

Because the route suggested in the title ie Perrambalur-Thuraiyur-Kulithalai; seems a very good option now exp given the fact that Karur-Kulithalai is complete. This also looks like a good alternative to Ulundurpet-Salem-CBE.

Sorry for the late reply.

Went to Dharapuram last thursday via Trichy - Musiri-Kulithalai-Karur. The road is fine except in Kulithalai where you have to go inside the town and take right for about 2 kms to join the Karur - NH-67 road. From Uttamar Kovil junction to Musiri - the road is far far better and no speed breakers now. The Sand trucks are more and one need to be careful.
My friend did a trip on this road during Jan'2013 and found horrible.

While returning back yesterday, chose Kulithalai-Jeyapuram- Trichy especially to see the road condition. It is very bad from Tiruparaithurai till Trichy Kudamuriti Bridge.
Earlier (as per my posts #14, #15) it was 16kms bad. Now it is 14kms bad. One good thing, I saw few Poclain machines started digging the edges and few slabs have been placed. Hope they would complete in another 1 or 2 months as the newly laid Toll plaza is waiting for collection .

Once completed, then Chennai - Dharapuram/Udumalai/Pollachi would become a driving pleasure.

PS: Musiri - Thuraiyur - Peramblur is not recommended as one need to cross these towns and this stretch was full of speed breakers.

Last edited by RGK : 7th October 2013 at 16:11.
Old 7th October 2013, 17:11   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
PS: Musiri - Thuraiyur - Peramblur is not recommended as one need to cross these towns and this stretch was full of speed breakers.
Thanks. This was what I was looking for. I was just thinking if it can be a good alternative. Looks like it is not.
Old 21st November 2013, 16:14   #21
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Latest update on Karur - Trichy via kulithalai.
Road strengthened and relaid completely except 1 to 2 kms. From the outskirt of Trichy - Kudamurati bridge till Karur it is done. Two tolls are coming up. Hopefullly this will become a toll road in another month..
Chennai - Trichy - Karur - Dharapuram - Pollachi & Udumalpet & Munnar -- this is the shortest route with good quality road.
Old 27th April 2014, 09:44   #22
Senior - BHPian

Any latest road surface update on the Kulithalai- thurayur- perambalur road stretch ?

I am traveling to Srimushnam so thinking about benefits of taking this stretch than going via trichy and j.kondam.
Old 30th April 2014, 18:43   #23
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE:

I took the Toll-gate- Lalgudi- Jayamkondam- Srimushnam road. It was a bit narrow road with uneven surface here and there(which didn't bother) but what bothered was the speed breakers coming up every now and then.

Somehow, a trip through Trichy means the only thing that comes to the mind is dealing with sand mafia, LOL.
Old 1st May 2014, 21:31   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
UPDATE:

I took the Toll-gate- Lalgudi- Jayamkondam- Srimushnam road. It was a bit narrow road with uneven surface here and there(which didn't bother) but what bothered was the speed breakers coming up every now and then.
You should have done : Trichy-Veppur-Vridhachalam-Srimushnam

That should have been much easier.
Old 30th May 2014, 17:23   #25
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Karur-Trichy stretch was completed with two active toll booths. Need to be careful for the two reasons.

1. Sand trucks
2. No medians

Toll Rate : Rs 60/-

If one has to go to Tirupur,Erode,Coimbatore, Dharapuram - do drive till the end of bypass (NH 67) after crossing the toll and take the right under the flyover (Karur-Dindugal - NH7) to join the NH 7 towards Namakkal and take left at the next ROB to hit NH 67 again. For Karur, take right after the toll booth and go via Puliyur.

Salem to Ulundurpet via Attur was completed and good. The four lanes suddenly merge into two lanes with vehicles coming in opp directions. So please be careful while overtaking.

I do not have any updated information on Kulithalai - Thurayur - Perambalur, but two toll fees (Rs 60/-) can be avoided in this route.

Last edited by RGK : 30th May 2014 at 17:38.
Old 13th May 2017, 22:39   #26
BHPian

Hello teambhpians,

I am planning to travel from chennai to my native vadalur(near Neyveli); then start from vadalur & go on a trip to Valparai by last week of May. request your inputs in the following areas:

1) My Preferred route is Vadalur – Tiruchirapalli – Karur – Dharapuram – Pollachi - Valparai - 429 Kms - 8 hours, anyone know the current road condition - is it good?
I have been on salem highway multiple times and wanted to try a different route this time, Please let me know your suggestions.

2) pls suggest any decent stop overs for bio break/tea; hotels for breakfast/lunch.

3) I sail in the same boat as majority of you in choosing the fuel station, Any preferred BP fuel station to refill Diesel for my Vento.

4) I am planning for a stay in Parambikulam and visit Athirapalli falls, is it worth going there to athirapalli falls this may month -any other places that i should not be missing.

Thanks.
Old 13th May 2017, 23:06   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandharamanp View Post
1) My Preferred route is Vadalur – Tiruchirapalli – Karur – Dharapuram – Pollachi - Valparai - 429 Kms - 8 hours, anyone know the current road condition - is it good?
I have been on salem highway multiple times and wanted to try a different route this time, Please let me know your suggestions.
Would any day prefer the Vadalur-Vridhachalam-Veppur-Thalaivasal-Salem-Avinashi-Mangalam-Pollachi-Valparai

More 4-lanes and better places for break.

Quote:
2) pls suggest any decent stop overs for bio break/tea; hotels for breakfast/lunch.
Usually Trichy is the place to break. But since you plan to take the Karur road and you go via Trichy city there may be many options.

Quote:
4) I am planning for a stay in Parambikulam and visit Athirapalli falls, is it worth going there to athirapalli falls this may month -any other places that i should not be missing.
Not sure if there will be any water at Athirapally. Good to confirm with others.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2017, 23:29   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandharamanp View Post
Hello teambhpians,

I am planning to travel from chennai to my native vadalur(near Neyveli); then start from vadalur & go on a trip to Valparai by last week of May.
1) My Preferred route is Vadalur – Tiruchirapalli – Karur – Dharapuram – Pollachi - Valparai - 429 Kms .
You could try this route: Vadalur- Trichy- Dindigul- Palani- Udumalpet- Vettaikaranpudur- Valparai.
Pros- 4 lanes till Dindigul. The rest of the route has 2 lanes roads , but with less traffic.

2. You could stop at the Adyar Ananda Bhavan just outside Trichy or Sri Sangeetha on Trichy bypass.
Or you could make it to Dindigul and feast on the famous Biryani at Ponram Foodsquares or Thalappakatti . Both are on the highway, just where the Karur - Madurai road crosses. All the mentioned places have decent toilets.
3. There are COCO bunks galore. Wonder why you're worried about the Vento?? On highways ,a diesel Vento easily has a range of more than 800 Km on a tank full! Mine does!

Last edited by sunsetorange : 13th May 2017 at 23:34.
sunsetorange is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2017, 08:51   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
You could try this route: Vadalur- Trichy- Dindigul- Palani- Udumalpet- Vettaikaranpudur- Valparai.
Pros- 4 lanes till Dindigul. The rest of the route has 2 lanes roads , but with less traffic.
- Dindigul is also a good option.
- Good 4-lanes for most distance.
- Palani has a bypass.
- Post Udumalpet you exit at Mukkonam and take the internal road and bypass Pollachi.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 11:43   #30
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Almost after one and half years, I chose Karur to Trichy via Kulithalai, Pettavathalai & Jeyapuram. After the second toll (Tirupuraaithurai School), the road is not widened till now and also its condition is bad due to recent rains. Last 14 to 15 km till Anna statue is an ordinary double road.

@ Ampere - how come you are familiar about mukkonam...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks