Team-BHP - Shimoga to Byndoor : Route Queries
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Shimoga to Byndoor : Route Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/81048-shimoga-byndoor-route-queries.html)

Hi All,

Am planning a holiday at saivishram resort @ Byndoor next week. I am looking for advice on which route to take to reach Byndoor from Shimoga ?

Route #1
Shimoga - Ayanur - Rippanpet - Hosanagara - Nagara- niddodi ghat - Kollur - Byndoor

Route #2
Shimoga - Thirthahalli - Agumbe - Haladi - Kundapura - Byndoor

Route #3
Shimoga - Sagar - Talguppa - Gersopa - Honnavar - Murudeshwara - Bhatkal - Byndoor

Thanks much in advance

Hi Chandras, I would prefer Route #3

Shimoga - Sagar - Talguppa - Gersopa - Honnavar - Murudeshwara - Bhatkal - Byndoor

AFAIK #1 is a very bad broken stretch, only people from those areas can say if that stretch is redone.

Route #2 is comparatively better, but I'd prefer route #3 as I have travelled the most on this route compared to the other 2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker (Post 1874720)
Hi Chandras, I would prefer Route #3

AFAIK #1 is a very bad broken stretch, only people from those areas can say if that stretch is redone.

Route #2 is comparatively better, but I'd prefer route #3 as I have travelled the most on this route compared to the other 2.

Hari route 3 would be pretty much longer.
Following are the possible routes to Byndoor Via Shimoga.
1.Shimoga-Theerthally-Agumbe-Someshwara-Kundapura-Byndoor.(scenic route)
2.Shimoga - Ayanur - Riponpet - Nagara - Nittur - Kollur-Byndoor (shortest route of all)
3.Shimoga - Ayanur -Sagara-Honnavara-Bhatkala-Byndoor (Longest route )

I would suggest you to take the Route 1 which I have mentioned.
Road is good all the way till Byndoor.

Some of the recent post links
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1819740

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1866374

@chandras1,
Member mahadev_kc is travelling today to the same resort.
Get an update from him

Good update Sushrutha, as I mentioned you being from that part of Karnataka would know better, Chandras1, would strongly recommend taking sushrutha's guidance.

Quote:

2.Shimoga - Ayanur - Riponpet - Nagara - Nittur - Kollur-Byndoor (shortest route of all)
Surprisingly that this route is bad at this time of the year. Can anyone reconfirm that it is bad? Any repair works in progress?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvkumar (Post 1874844)
Surprisingly that this route is bad at this time of the year. Can anyone reconfirm that it is bad? Any repair works in progress?

I know as why you have mentioned as to be BAD DURING THIS TIME.
HVK, It hasn't rained much in that region as of now. Monsoon is yet to start, so during monsoon it will be doomsday ;-)

Check the links which I have mentioned in my previous post.
Update is as of 4th April 2010
Quote:

Originally Posted by motomaverick (Post 1819740)
The best way to travel to Kundapura or Maravanthe is following:

Bangalore - Tumkur - Tiptur - Shimoga - Ayanur - Riponpet - Nagara - Nittur - Kollur - Maravanthe

Came back just today. The roads are pretty decent throughout with some really good sections. The road is slightly patchy from Riponpet - Nagara but its drivable at good speeds.

The Honavar - Sagar ghat roads have been done up really well. It was bad last year but yesterday it was in really good condition.

Thanks to everyone who replied. Will take the Kollur or Agumbe-Kundapura route. Will post an update as well upon my return

Just a quick update after I completed the journey

Took the Ayaunur - Hosanagara - Nagara - Nittur - Kollur - Byndoor while going and took the Byndoor - Kundapura - Haladi - Agumbe - Tirthahalli - Shimoga on the return journey.

The latter is a little longer, but roads are far better than the former.

The byndoor route via nagara and kollur is not in good condition. The tarmac is broken and very bumpy. To add to the woes, the lorries carrying ore from the mines do use this route. Night + Rain is very tough in this stretch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkrishnap (Post 1890441)
The byndoor route via nagara and kollur is not in good condition. The tarmac is broken and very bumpy. To add to the woes, the lorries carrying ore from the mines do use this route. Night + Rain is very tough in this stretch.

:Shockked: I thought this road was way too narrow for mine trucks. AFAIK, the mine trucks take the Nagara-Hosangadi-Shankarnarayana route. Nagara-Nittur-Kollur is very narrow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by addyhemmige (Post 1891541)
:Shockked: I thought this road was way too narrow for mine trucks. AFAIK, the mine trucks take the Nagara-Hosangadi-Shankarnarayana route. Nagara-Nittur-Kollur is very narrow.

I concur, the roads and especially the ghat is way too narrow for a truck. I didn't encounter any trucks on my way, but what really put me off were speeding tourist vehicles without any horn or other warnings in the curves.....

Route # 1. is the better route. We had done this route few months ago, the roads are scenic and good, but you tend to get lost if you are not carefull with the Road markers :)

@ Pavan Kadam

Is that the Nagara fort? I have visited it once, but never seen it like this:)

Bump. Since last update was more than 2 years ago, would like to know latest condition.

My plan: Bangalore -- Shimoga (night halt) -- Byndoor (sai vishram). No confusion till Shimoga, I'll simply take Tumkur - Karur - Birur - Tarikere route.

Confusion begins next morning. If I can start very early (unlikely) would Jog Falls be a good destination? That'll be 50% additional distance: Shimoga - Sagara - Jog - Honnavar - Byndoor. If I skip Jog and try the shortest route, is still Shimoga - Hosanagara - Kollur a broken one? Or to be safe I better take Tirthahalli - Agumbe route (that's actually double the distance)?

On my return, what would be the best route from Byndoor to Bangalore? Since I want the fastest route, should I come all the way down to Mangalore (NH-17) and take NH-48?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kousik (Post 2956444)
If I skip Jog and try the shortest route, is still Shimoga - Hosanagara - Kollur a broken one? Or to be safe I better take
Tirthahalli - Agumbe route (that's actually double the distance)?

Its like choosing between two rough patches! But I would suggest the option via Tirthahalli/Agumbe.

Quote:

On my return, what would be the best route from Byndoor to Bangalore? Since I want the fastest route, should I come all the way
down to Mangalore (NH-17) and take NH-48?
Byndoor-Udupi-Karkala-Belthangady-(Shiradi or Charmadi)-Hassan-Bangalore

Please check on the other thread (BLR/Mangalore) which is a better option as of today. Shiradi or Charmadi.
If you want good views, then without doubt Charmadi.