Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2010, 19:28   #1
BHPian

Finally Rohtang Pass is opened now, Good NEWS for Team BHP'ians

Good News for all Team BHP'ians all those who are going to travel thru Rohtang Pass, that it has finally open to public.
am enclosing fresh pics of Rohtang Pass covered with snow for your viewing !!!

Note: If you would like to go beyond Rohtang Pass it is suggested that you may start as early as 5am in morning, to avoid local rush of tourist at Rohtang Pass

Any information needed to travel manali or beyond ...Team Bhp'ian are most welcome and let me know if more pictures of Rohtang Pass you all wanna view...

DRIVE SAFE & BE SAFE !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Finally Rohtang Pass is opened now, Good NEWS for Team BHP'ians-image54.jpg  

Finally Rohtang Pass is opened now, Good NEWS for Team BHP'ians-image74.jpg  

airwolf9211 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2010, 20:30   #2
BHPian

Wow great but the site yet shows road as closed OFFICIAL WEBSITE OF DISTRICT LEH (LADAKH) . but you mus be having first hand reports looking at the location on your profile ! and above all you have already posted pics of the same please keep this thread updated with recent photos as and whenyou can Thank you Regards
Old 7th May 2010, 20:38   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-hawk View Post
Wow great but the site yet shows road as closed OFFICIAL WEBSITE OF DISTRICT LEH (LADAKH) . but you mus be having first hand reports looking at the location on your profile ! and above all you have already posted pics of the same please keep this thread updated with recent photos as and whenyou can Thank you Regards

@ m hawk look at the traffic jam and twenty feet of snow wall, its just awesome, but traffic is just like wait for hours
Attached Thumbnails
Finally Rohtang Pass is opened now, Good NEWS for Team BHP'ians-image44.jpg  

Old 7th May 2010, 20:44   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwolf9211 View Post
@ m hawk look at the traffic jam and twenty feet of snow wall, its just awesome, but traffic is just like wait for hours
Yep my first trip was through such 20 feet high snow walls and crazy traffic jams which start s after 6am itself but this is limited to may june only thereafter the snow melt s away . My next trip was better planned and executed in mid sept with a threat of early snowfall in the air at all time s but weather god s were kind enough to us ! Now it s decided when ever we go to leh it will be after mid aug right till mid sept ! Thanx pal for the quick response and yes this thread will rock with updates of fresh pics !!
Old 7th May 2010, 20:47   #5
BHPian

You are right m hawk, its only Rohtang Pass is only opened yet, not Leh route as Baralacha Pass is still covered with snow... GREF people are still working on it with all its snow machines and i had visited till zing zing bar, from there i came to know that the same will be opened till the end of this month.

Will keep it updated

DRIVE SAFE & BE SAFE !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Finally Rohtang Pass is opened now, Good NEWS for Team BHP'ians-image40.jpg  

Old 7th May 2010, 21:08   #6
BHPian

look at the traffic jam in picture underlined with red line @ 4pm (sorry for the bad quality of the picture as my camera's battery got down due to the cold whether ), actually i came early from lahaul so i thought by this time people must have moved down, but to my surpurise, people were still coming to see Rohtang Pass and those who were suppose to move down from Rohtang, were stuck in jam, which opened in 4 hours or so....

So next time if you are travelling to this place, please be sure that you have sufficient time, and also make sure if you are coming by bus you dont miss it when you are stuck in traffic jam, as you are going to hill stations to relax but not to take any kind of tensions....so just CHILL

DRIVE SAFE & BE SAFE !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Finally Rohtang Pass is opened now, Good NEWS for Team BHP'ians-image122.jpg  

Old 7th May 2010, 22:31   #7
BHPian

just awesome!!, I am going to Manali on May 20-22,10. I am unable to control my excitement to see this pass.
What is the best time to leave beyond the Rohtang pass how long the taxi will go/taxiwallas will take? Any tips on this Rohtang pass/solang valley will be appreciated
Old 7th May 2010, 22:46   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullock-Car View Post
just awesome!!, I am going to Manali on May 20-22,10. I am unable to control my excitement to see this pass.
What is the best time to leave beyond the Rohtang pass how long the taxi will go/taxiwallas will take? Any tips on this Rohtang pass/solang valley will be appreciated

@ bullock car
You are most welcome to visit manali, and on the contrary i would like to tell you these days manali is having loads of rainfall and snow on Rohtang Pass every now n then, due to this the temperature of manali has droped down less than 10 degrees, its just Chilling!!!

Taxi people will take you to just point zero, its on the top and border line for lahaul spiti & himachal pradesh.... i would suggest you to pay him little extra and ask him to take you beyond rohtang...i.e. KOKSAR its a nice place and different atmosphere and close to chandra river, there you can relax for couple of hour and have your food too, as road side good dhabas are there... but to tell you that these days road widening work is in progress so it will take about one and half hour till Rohtang, but the road from Marhi till Koksar is in very pity condition, and further from Rohtang to Koksar it takes about one and half hour more.

So i will suggest you that if you are going on this route around 20 May, you better leave as early as possible (5-6 am) so that u dont get stuckup in jam, spend a day in Koksar have your meals there and start from Koksar @ 2pm so that lately by 6pm you can rach Manali.

One more teaser picture for you ....

DRIVE SAFE & BE SAFE !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Finally Rohtang Pass is opened now, Good NEWS for Team BHP'ians-image41.jpg  

Last edited by airwolf9211 : 7th May 2010 at 22:52. Reason: picture missing
Old 8th May 2010, 00:13   #9
BHPian

thanks airwolf for the news .do you have any news of kunzum la .i am going to lahaul spiti on may 29 .do you think kunzum la will open and when will chandertaal be accessible
Old 8th May 2010, 14:40   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupinder View Post
thanks airwolf for the news .do you have any news of kunzum la .i am going to lahaul spiti on may 29 .do you think kunzum la will open and when will chandertaal be accessible
@ rupinder
Chandertal is only accessible by 4x4 vehicles, i came from there last week as i had some piece of work there, there are still loads of avlanches on the road, and i had my team with me those who got the road cleared manually for my 4x4 jeep, enclosed pictures for your reference please...

And as far as Kunzum Pass is concerned it will be opened to traffic by 1st week of June, as it has been snowing on all these passes off and on... will keep u updated though.

DRIVE SAFE & BE SAFE !!!

Ist and rare View of Chandertal Lake covered with snow in 2010

Our team going crazy after seeing first view of Chandertal Lake ... everyone is running, no one can stop after seeing such a awesome view and trust me its like HEAVEN ON EARTH
Attached Thumbnails
Finally Rohtang Pass is opened now, Good NEWS for Team BHP'ians-image119.jpg  

Finally Rohtang Pass is opened now, Good NEWS for Team BHP'ians-image120.jpg  

Finally Rohtang Pass is opened now, Good NEWS for Team BHP'ians-image154.jpg  

Finally Rohtang Pass is opened now, Good NEWS for Team BHP'ians-image135.jpg  

Finally Rohtang Pass is opened now, Good NEWS for Team BHP'ians-image136.jpg  

Finally Rohtang Pass is opened now, Good NEWS for Team BHP'ians-image137.jpg  

Finally Rohtang Pass is opened now, Good NEWS for Team BHP'ians-image133.jpg  

Old 8th May 2010, 17:23   #11
BHPian

On the way to Chandertal... just had a fresh snow fall, we were worried that if we could make it...

Finally Rohtang Pass is opened now, Good NEWS for Team BHP'ians-image171.jpg

Yes we made it at last ....
Old 9th May 2010, 00:57   #12
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwolf9211 View Post
Ist and rare View of Chandertal Lake covered with snow in 2010
Wow, we have someone from Manali itself. And amazing pics, Chandertal Lake so early in the season!! Thanks a lot for that pic.
Old 9th May 2010, 05:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the updates and info. In April I was trying desperately to squeeze a trip to Leh sometime around this time and Im very glad it isnt working out. Getting stuck in a traffic jam of any sort on a freezing hill isnt the best way to enjoy the place. I think I shall go in August when the traffic is less desperate.

Chandertal... simply awesome buddy!! The joy of a first sighting of the season must be a feeling to relish!!

Cheers,

Jay
Old 10th May 2010, 00:56   #14
BHPian

thanks for the update .i will be going on 29th may from ludhiana and we will be on our bikes
Old 10th May 2010, 19:18   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Thanks for the updates and info. In April I was trying desperately to squeeze a trip to Leh sometime around this time and Im very glad it isnt working out. Getting stuck in a traffic jam of any sort on a freezing hill isnt the best way to enjoy the place. I think I shall go in August when the traffic is less desperate.

Chandertal... simply awesome buddy!! The joy of a first sighting of the season must be a feeling to relish!!

Cheers,

Jay

Yes true jay.... the joy of first sighting of the yaer is just awesome, when u see loads of snow around the lake, its like a virgin place and love to be there !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupinder View Post
thanks for the update .i will be going on 29th may from ludhiana and we will be on our bikes
Tour on bike is real good, except the nallah crossing in the afternoon, so plan and travel accordingly
...cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Wow, we have someone from Manali itself. And amazing pics, Chandertal Lake so early in the season!! Thanks a lot for that pic.
You are most welcome, and do let me know if any further help needed about the place.

DRIVE SAFE & BE SAFE !!!

Most Viewed