Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2010, 22:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Goa in the Second week of June with friends

Hi people,
Goa has been the most popular destination in our family and the last 7 Christmas's have been spent in Goa by us. We always stay at the Royal Goan Beach Club in Benaulim in Margoa. Beautiful place and in my opinion Benauim beach is the best in Goa(My pick).
We are again as usual planning to drive down from Chennai.Last 4 times we were doing it in one single day but this time we are planning to halt in Bangalore for a day because this time the travel is going to be done in the Ford Endeavour. We are leaving chennai in the on the 4th of June and returning back on the 12.
So here the plan:

June 4th :Leave Chennai in the afternoon, halt in Bangalore at friends place.

June 5th : Early in the morning leave to Goa.Plan to reach Goa by late evening.

June 11th : Leave Goa early again , return to Bangalore.

June 12th : Some Morning shopping and chilling out in Bangalore and leave late afternoon and reach Chennai by Night.

This time its going to be a little different in the sense :
1) Am going to be going with my friends instead of family.
2)Going to stay at the Haati Maahal which is gain close to benaulim.
3)First time in this part of the year.
4) First time going to travel by the endeavour.

Would love to hear your suggestions and views on the trip.

My biggest fear is the rains in the second week of June.
Can Goa still be enjoyed in the rains ?
Would love to know when Monsoon is going to start this year .

Last edited by arjunrudra : 8th May 2010 at 22:32.
Old 9th May 2010, 07:26   #2
Team-BHP Support

With an Endeavor do you care?
It should take up anything. Yes June will be the time, when you may see either start of the rain, it may be in full flurry.

It still can be enjoyed though at Goa, but I am not sure of the road conditions. Some roads immediately give in to initial rain deluge itself.
Old 9th May 2010, 08:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Goa has a beautiful charm of its own in the monsoon. Ive enjoyed quite a few monsoons in Goa and I quite like it due the lack of the touristy crowds.
Old 9th May 2010, 09:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Am not too sure whether all eating shacks would be open in the Monsoon. But yes Goa has a different charm altogether in the monsoons
Old 9th May 2010, 09:40   #5
Team-BHP Support

PLUS if you are with friends, any place is FUN...
Old 9th May 2010, 10:38   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I have driven down from Hyderabad to Goa several times during monsoons and if your using a vehicle like Endeavour, no need to worry about patches enroute at all.

Been to Goa mostly during August and it pours cats and dogs during August, so wouldnt know about June as the monsoon would have just started. My guess is you would be lucky if it rains a bit.

Last august, i was in goa and got stuck during the Karnataka floods and it was raining so heavily in Goa, we had to stop on the road in Panjim city as couldnt see anything in front.

Goa becomes green and so beautiful, words cannot describe its beauty.

So keep your fingers crossed and pray for rains during your early June visit.
Old 9th May 2010, 11:14   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
We always stay at the Royal Goan Beach Club in Benaulim in Margoa.
It's Margao. Benaulim is actually a village outside Margao but very closeby.

Quote:
Can Goa still be enjoyed in the rains ?
Would love to know when Monsoon is going to start this year .
Depends on what you plan to do. Party scene is dull (not totally dead like before). However you have to travel to North Goa for that. Otherwise if you like to stay indoors and enjoy the rain it's nice. For the exact date check the Met department website or watch DD News.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
It still can be enjoyed though at Goa, but I am not sure of the road conditions. Some roads immediately give in to initial rain deluge itself.
Most of the roads have just been done up and the rest will be ready before the monsoons. I guess they should be OK in the monsoons too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Am not too sure whether all eating shacks would be open in the Monsoon. But yes Goa has a different charm altogether in the monsoons
The shacks on the beach will be removed for the monsoons. Those on private land will still be there. Anyway beach is a bad idea as you can't swim, it's too windy and nothing much to do.
Old 9th May 2010, 15:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thank guys .
@live to jive :
When do the monsoons typically start in Goa ? Can we expect a few sunny days during my visit ?

And what we want to do is . We want to be able to drive around to panjim, dona pola and basically see all the places by driving around instead of staying in the room .

And Night we will be at what we do best !

Last edited by arjunrudra : 9th May 2010 at 15:53.
Old 9th May 2010, 16:07   #9
BANNED

The monsoons start in the begining of June. You will get some sunny days. Driving around in the monsoons is not a problem.
Old 9th May 2010, 17:24   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
When do the monsoons typically start in Goa ? Can we expect a few sunny days during my visit ?
Was in Goa for the first week of June a few years back.

Our entire trip was sunny, and it only rained on the last day (somewhere between the 7th and 12th of June - cant remember).

The sea is very rough just before the monsoons, and 97% of the beach-side shacks are closed by the first week of June.

As soon as the rain came the last of the shacks closed down too.

Goa is nice in the monsoon - but you just have to alter your expectations from the "typical goa holiday" to the reality of what you will be getting.

cya
R
Old 9th May 2010, 20:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
The monsoons start in the begining of June. You will get some sunny days. Driving around in the monsoons is not a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Was in Goa for the first week of June a few years back.

Our entire trip was sunny, and it only rained on the last day (somewhere between the 7th and 12th of June - cant remember).

The sea is very rough just before the monsoons, and 97% of the beach-side shacks are closed by the first week of June.

As soon as the rain came the last of the shacks closed down too.

Goa is nice in the monsoon - but you just have to alter your expectations from the "typical goa holiday" to the reality of what you will be getting.

cya
R
If shacks are going to be the only problem then its going to be fine. Im more excited in taking my friends to martins corner, fiplees, tito,lava etc. But will definitely miss the shacks on Palolem beaches.

I hope the same thing happens to me rehanne , hope its really sunny.

Am also confused about the route after HUbli from bangalore.
Should I take the regular Karwar route or the other one through beed ?
KArwar is shorter definitely , but has more of ghats.
Will the ghats really be a problem this time of the year with the onset of monsoon ?
Old 9th May 2010, 20:38   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Am also confused about the route after HUbli from bangalore.
Should I take the regular Karwar route or the other one through beed ?
KArwar is shorter definitely , but has more of ghats.
Will the ghats really be a problem this time of the year with the onset of monsoon ?
I don't think with Endeavour rains would be a problem though a word of caution when it rains in Goa/Karwar belt it really rains. Rear wiper is a must.

On which route to take route via Kittur Beedi (not beed its in Maharashtra) or Karwar, I feel Benaulim may be equidistant for both routes or if i am wrong the error may be 10-15 kms max (Beedi route based on Mapmyindia.com, I have travelled via karwar or amboli, tilari & chorla to Goa). Well both these routes have equally bad ghat sections , so no respite on that front on Beedi route as well.

Last edited by Rajiv-Bang : 9th May 2010 at 20:54.
Old 9th May 2010, 21:23   #13
BHPian

Goa is best during the monsoon, i wouldn't be anywhere is during the rains (maybe i'll give Kerela a try at some point) for eating out you are restricted in the beach areas, but still plenty of good choices, jocey's on Benauli beach is open in the monsoon for one.

Cheers
Old 9th May 2010, 21:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv-Bang View Post
I don't think with Endeavour rains would be a problem though a word of caution when it rains in Goa/Karwar belt it really rains. Rear wiper is a must.

On which route to take route via Kittur Beedi (not beed its in Maharashtra) or Karwar, I feel Benaulim may be equidistant for both routes or if i am wrong the error may be 10-15 kms max (Beedi route based on Mapmyindia.com, I have travelled via karwar or amboli, tilari & chorla to Goa). Well both these routes have equally bad ghat sections , so no respite on that front on Beedi route as well.
Oh ok then will take Karwar route as its the one I know in detail.
And my endy does not have a rear viper as its the first generation endy .

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanm View Post
Goa is best during the monsoon, i wouldn't be anywhere is during the rains (maybe i'll give Kerela a try at some point) for eating out you are restricted in the beach areas, but still plenty of good choices, jocey's on Benauli beach is open in the monsoon for one.

Cheers
Wow thats nice to hear. First time going to be in goa for the monsoon.
And yes joecons just opposite Royal goan beach club , awesome sea food you get.
I want to really try something new this time round. All you goa boys , your suggestions are welcome .
Old 9th May 2010, 22:57   #15
BANNED

Quote:
And yes joecons just opposite Royal goan beach club , awesome sea food you get.
The menu there is in English and Russian. Make sure you tell the waiter that you don't understand either and see his reaction. I do it everytime I go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanm View Post
jocey's on Benauli beach is open in the monsoon for one.s
That would be Joncy's. You have to take the other road near Maria Hall / Fiplees to the beach.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks