Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2012, 17:29   #46
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian

Any updates on the current status of this bridge construction ? I have a drive this Friday to Cochin and hence was looking for an update on this route.
No updates as of now. Thats why I mentioned even in case the road is blocked he can take the Palakkad road without increasing the distance.
Old 21st May 2012, 18:35   #47
BHPian

Re: Hotels enroute Cochin-Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Pollachi to Vaikom is 200km. So if you start by 5, you should be able to cover. You catch the GQ at Vadakencherry.
But I was told there was a bridge on this SH near Pollachi which was down and hence traffic was diverted to Palakkad.
This we can confirm Even if you have to go via Palakakd the distance is the same.
I believe that there is no need to go upto Palakkad if you are diverted from the regular route unless you have specific reasons. Pollachi Road joins NH-47 at Koottupatha which is about 5 kms or so from Palakkad (towards Coimbatore) and expect heavy traffic around Palakkad bye-pass early morning. But once you enter Kerala, the first big town would be Kozhinjampara where you can take a left towards Chittur->Koduvayur->Alathur(Join NH-47). Route was supposed to be in good condition but please confirm from someone who know the latest status.
Old 21st May 2012, 19:04   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Coimbatore seems to be closer than Pollachi and I am familiar with the route. Are there any hotels in Coimbatore close to NH 47? Will I be able to reach Coimbatore by 10:00 PM. If I start at 4:30 PM from Bangalore, I will be able to reach Salem only by 8:00 PM due to evening traffic.
If I were you, I would have driven till 4L ends and in the next junction (Perumanallur), taken a left and drove for about 10-15 kms and stayed in Ginger, Tiruppur (Please see gingerhotels.com for more info).

These are my guesstimates:
430pm Blore(BETL) 800pm salem 900pm perundurai 1000 Ginger,Tiruppur.

Finding your way through Tiruppur could be a slight problem though but recently, I have seen good signage boards and you wont find it difficult to get into Palladam/Kangeyam roads. Please call the hotel guys once you divert from NH-47 for the perfect guidance.The next major landmark as you drive into Tiruppur town would be a big flyover (railway overbridge) near the railway station.

Staying at Ginger, Tiruppur will be a blessing for the next morning start as you can totally skip the under-construction Avinashi->Coimbatore->Walayar stretch and instead choose Palladam->Pollachi->Thrissur route as mentioned in my previous post. Avoids the heavy traffic of NH-47 upto Palakkad and also the toll at L&T bye-pass (dont mind paying but stopping at each counter, waiting for the checking done and then waiting at another couple of traffic signals, at Kovai->Trichy Road and Kovai->Pollachi->Madurai Road is simply a mood-spoiler in the morning)

Just add about an hour to Amp's estimate below when you start from Ginger, Tiruppur:
0500 Pollachi 0630 Vadakkencheri 0730 Mannuthy 1100 Vaikom

EDIT: Sorry for the back-to-back posting. Couldn't multi-quote as I was delayed by just a couple of mins :-(

Last edited by ajithbr : 21st May 2012 at 19:08.
ajithbr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 19:11   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
If I were you, I would have driven till 4L ends and in the next junction (Perumanallur), taken a left and drove for about 10-15 kms and stayed in Ginger, Tiruppur (Please see gingerhotels.com for more info).
Thanks. I was not aware that Thiruppur has a Ginger. Else would have a suggested that.
Just that one needs to book in advance for Ginger. Many a times you cannot walk in and find a place.

Ajit. I did mean driving to Palakkad by-pass. Just did not write explicitly.

Last edited by ampere : 21st May 2012 at 19:12.
Old 21st May 2012, 19:31   #50
BHPian

There is a new Saravana Bhavan opened on the NH47 at Salem. This comes on the left, soon after you enter into NH47 from NH7.

This place has decent food, ample parking and stay options.

Restaurant opens at 6:30AM and closes at 10:30PM.

I did see stay option mentioned on top floors, but did not inquire the details.

Place is big enough and well lit. So it is hard to miss.
sj_koova is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 20:14   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I was not aware that Thiruppur has a Ginger. Else would have a suggested that.
Just that one needs to book in advance for Ginger. Many a times you cannot walk in and find a place.
Another good option in the same location is Gayathri (Gayathri Hotels, Tirupur - Home Page)
ajithbr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2012, 09:32   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
If I were you, I would have driven till 4L ends and in the next junction (Perumanallur)(
Quote:
Thanks. I was not aware that Thiruppur has a Ginger. Else would have a
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
There is a new Saravana Bhavan opened on the NH47 at Salem
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Unfortunately no.Your next best option would be to stay in Salem.(GRT is 3k a night for Double).
Many thanks for all your inputs. Finally stayed at Hotel Mesabel Coimbatore.

Mesabel Hotel

Rs 1575/- for a double A?C room including tax. OK for a night's stay. Most of the hotels in and around Coimbatore were full on that day. This is OK for a night's stay. They have only limited parking I gues. The basement can accommodate 3 cars.

I started from Bangalore at 4:15 PM on 24th May and had dinner at Sri Saravana Bhavan, 25 Kms after Salem. I also enquired about the stay options there. SIngle A/c costs Rs 770/- and double costs Rs 990/- including tax. They were also full on that day. I could not find their phone numbers in the internet. The place looks decent. Attached is their brochure and card which I collected from the reception.

Hotels enroute Cochin-Bangalore-saravana-bhavan.png

I checked in to Hotel Mesabel at 10:45 PM.
pramodpk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2012, 15:53   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I started from Bangalore at 4:15 PM on 24th May and had dinner at Sri Saravana Bhavan, 25 Kms after Salem. I also enquired about the stay options there. SIngle A/c costs Rs 770/- and double costs Rs 990/- including tax. They were also full on that day. I could not find their phone numbers in the internet. The place looks decent. Attached is their brochure and card which I collected from the reception.
This is the hotel website

:: Travellers Inn - Highway Restaurants in Salem To Ernakulam, Highway Restaurants in Salem To Sankagiri,Highway Restaurants in Salem To Ernakulam Bye-pass::
Old 5th June 2012, 18:50   #54
BHPian

In my last weekend trip through the L & T Byepass, I did not see Rajabhojanam. Think it has closed down, since even the previous trip, we planned to stop there, but the reliance fuel station itself was closed.

Saw a new restaurant - Gokulam - with an "Opening Shortly" board after Walayar check post on the BLR - TCR side of the road.

Personally speaking, I always stop at Malabar Hotels @ approx. Kanjikode (after Walayar, before Palakkad). Once again, it comes up on the left side BLR - TCR direction. Predominantly non veg food with great porotta, the wife is quite satisfied with the veg food too.
Old 21st August 2012, 13:50   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I started from Bangalore at 4:15 PM on 24th May and had dinner at Sri Saravana Bhavan, 25 Kms after Salem. I also enquired about the stay options there. SIngle A/c costs Rs 770/- and double costs Rs 990/- including tax.
Stayed at Hotel Saravana Bhavan on Aug 14th. Higly recommended. Clean (new) room, bath room, LCD TV and sufficient car parking. They also provided a toitet kit with Toot paste and brush. They also have A/C single room for Rs 770/-
Old 21st August 2012, 15:47   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Stayed at Hotel Saravana Bhavan on Aug 14th. Higly recommended. Clean (new) room, bath room, LCD TV and sufficient car parking. They also provided a toitet kit with Toot paste and brush. They also have A/C single room for Rs 770/-
Any photos of the hotel and the room for the benefit of people here?Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 16:25   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Any photos of the hotel and the room for the benefit of people here?Thanks
Sorry. Could not take pictures as my daughter was sleeping by the time we reached and did not want to wake her up but the place is neat. The room though not spacious is good for a night's stay. My wife also liked the place
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 18:47   #58
Senior - BHPian

Try hotel Gowri Krishna in Pollachy, they have excellent veg food, you may need to wait to get a seat during peak hours. This is situated at the 2nd signal when you enter Pollachi from Palakkad.
gadadhar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2012, 12:05   #59
BHPian

Stayed at Hotel saravana bhavan, after salem (26kms from salem towards CBE). Its good clean place. Good parking and food options. An a/c double room costed Rs 1090/- for a 12 hr stay. Could not get through the normal ph numbers, and called the number (written by pen in the above image).

I did not deviate from NH-47. B/w palakkad & thrissur, the road is bad in patches, either side of Kuthiran being the worst. But still manageable. You may have to negotiate the potholes, and move at 30-40kmph. The risk is that, the road is narrow and if there is a truck break-down, you will be stuck.

There are a lot of deviations before CBE and I missed the by-pass. Had to go through the city and then re-join the palakkad highway.
Old 2nd December 2012, 00:34   #60
BHPian

I am planning a trip to Alleppy from Bangalore in the last week of Dec. The plan is to leave a little relaxed, somewhere in the afternoon from Bangalore and reach Coimbatore by evening. Halt there overnight. Leave early morning the next day and reach Alleppy by afternoon to spend more time there.
Can anyone suggest some good hotels for overnight stay in Coimbatore. I wouldn't want to deviate too much from the byepass. I am travelling with my wife and 3 year old son.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks