Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2015, 07:33   #91
BHPian

Re: Hotels enroute Cochin-Bangalore

Hi friends.,

Hope this is the right thread for the below query.

I am at Ooty currently and would be taking the below route to reach Kodungallur..

Ooty-Mettupalayam-Annur-Avinashi-Mangalam-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Nemmara-Vadakkencherry-Mannuthy-Pudukkad-Kodikara-Malapallipuram- Kodungallur.

Can someone suggest good family stay options at Thrissur enroute Kodungallur.

I might be having some spare time. So is there any options to explore in Thrissur and surroundings. I would prefer to visit some palaces, beaches etc

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by rki2007 : 12th February 2015 at 07:34.
Old 12th February 2015, 08:08   #92
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
I might be having some spare time. So is there any options to explore in Thrissur and surroundings. I would prefer to visit some palaces, beaches etc
Pooram is a good place.

http://www.hotelpooram.com/

There are many more too.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 09:19   #93
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Can someone suggest good family stay options at Thrissur enroute Kodungallur.

As @ampere suggested, Pooram International is good and just off the Thrissur Round which is the main shopping area. Several temples in walking/short auto ride distance around this place. Guruvayoor temple is also a short driving distance away from Thrissur.
There are also beaches, churches, parks and waterfalls around Thrissur if you have the time. Pooram's website lists some of these tourist attractions - here
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 16:09   #94
BHPian

Hi,
Would like to know if anyone knows a good veg hotel after the salem saravana bhavan/Travellers Inn near Sankari? Like near Avinashi, for eg? I'm seeing one Saravana Bhavan again after Perundurai. Is that good? Have good toilets? Point is that, I plan to start very early, like before 4am, and want to travell as much as possible before breakfast break. Like till 9 am. Looks like I will reach Avinashi by this time.

thanks,
venu.
Old 21st May 2015, 16:28   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrvarier View Post
Hi,
Would like to know if anyone knows a good veg hotel after the salem saravana bhavan/Travellers Inn near Sankari? Like near Avinashi, for eg?
There is a new one called Anandas which has come up. Restaurant is functional, but construction was ongoing for residential part. It about 3-5k before the Palladam turning. And also note, its on the other side while heading to Avinashi.

Food decent and not all that great.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 17:14   #96
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrvarier View Post
Would like to know if anyone knows a good veg hotel after the salem saravana bhavan/Travellers Inn near Sankari? Like near Avinashi, for eg?
About 15Km after the Saravana Bhavan Travellers Inn there is a Saravana Bhavan Classic on the right side.
And nearing Avinashi you will see Anandha Bhavan hotel again on right side. See this post for more details - Here.

Last edited by NPV : 21st May 2015 at 17:15.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 10:12   #97
BHPian

After going through the posts on this thread, I have compiled the following list for my own reference.
  • A2B, Krishnagiri
  • A2B, Thoppur (mid-way between Dharmapuri and Salem)
  • Chennis, Perundurai (between Coimbatore to Erode)
  • Aryas, Perundurai
  • Ootupura, Walayar
I seem to be missing a place around Salem. Also does anyone know of good non-veg restaurants?

Last edited by nowwhat? : 21st July 2015 at 10:16.
nowwhat? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 10:23   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
After going through the posts on this thread, I have compiled the following list for my own reference.
  • A2B, Krishnagiri
  • Aryas, Perundurai
  • Ootupura, Walayar
I seem to be missing a place around Salem. Also does anyone know of good non-veg restaurants?
Few more additions based on feedback I got from this forum when I asked about it in June.
  • A2B-Just after Salem on the left side towards CBE
  • Gowrishankar-Madukkarai (Just after L&T Exit)
  • Malabar- (2 km after the Toll booth after Walayar towards Palakkad)- This is good for Non Veg.
  • Couple of more Aaryas/Gowrishankar/Anandabhavan (dont recall exact names) between Chengapalli Toll and Palakkad
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 11:13   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
A2B-Just after Salem on the left side towards CBE
+1. This Salem A2B is a fantastic place. Its not the usual highway styled place. But its a proper fine dining restaurant. There is a bunk and polar bear ice cream parlour as well in the same complex.
You also have Saravana Bhavan on the Sankari bypass.

Last edited by ampere : 21st July 2015 at 11:19.
Old 21st July 2015, 11:14   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj[*
Malabar- (2 km after the Toll booth after Walayar towards Palakkad)- This is good for Non Veg. [/list]
Thanks for the update. Last time I was ill-equipped and ended up looking for a restaurant before Coimbatore and asked someone for a good non-veg restaurant whereby he directed us to Mirinda hotel which later turned out to be Le Meridien. I didn't end up checking it out though as it appeared we were diverging a bit from the highway.

Your post reminded me that I have been to Hotel Malabar in Kanjikode by accident. Their biriyani is good and toilets are clean though on the floor above. Apparently it has the same owner as Malabar Gold. They have some good reviews on Google.
Old 21st July 2015, 11:28   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Your post reminded me that I have been to Hotel Malabar in Kanjikode by accident. Their biriyani is good and toilets are clean though on the floor above. Apparently it has the same owner as Malabar Gold. They have some good reviews on Google.
Right. pretty good Biriyani. Fish fry is also apparently their specialty. Also the 'Manthi Biriyani' which seems to be a craze now in Kerala (I see boards all over the place).

Toilets are now there in the ground floor (part of the AC Restaurant) and are clean.

In Google maps the place actually appears as Malabar Gold: Salem-Kanyakumari Highway
Old 21st July 2015, 12:11   #102
BHPian

One Saravana Bhavan in CBE Pallakkad bypass. On left side while going to Kerala
Old 21st July 2015, 12:32   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  • A2B, Krishnagiri
  • Aryas, Perundurai
  • Ootupura, Walayar
Add Sree Krishna Inn/McDonalads/CCD at Shooloairi to the list. A good place to stop and refuel you and the vehicle since there is a HP pump also in the same complex.

Can someone give the exact location of Ootupura at Walayar? Can't seem to find it in Google maps. And is this place family friendly with clean toilets and stuff?
Old 21st July 2015, 12:35   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Can someone give the exact location of Ootupura at Walayar?
I didnt see this last time when I traveled to Kerala. May be they got moved due to the road construction. Normally, this cannot be missed

Last edited by rajesh1868 : 21st July 2015 at 12:36.
Old 21st July 2015, 12:40   #105
BHPian

Quote:
When travelling with friends, we used to visit Selvi mess at Salem. Thats inside the city near Salem bus stand (there was a jewelry near by; guess Joy alukkas). But thats going to cost you about 45 minutes; food was highly recommended and we liked it.
In Kerala, you can try Moochikunnan heights at Vadakkenchery. That just before Hotel Diana when travelling from Palakkad towards Thrissur. If looking for not so posh place, try hotel prakash thats on the way towards Palakkad towards the left, about 500 meters from the junction.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks