Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2010, 11:00   #1
BHPian

Hotels enroute Cochin-Bangalore

This thread is intented as a guide for those who frequently drive between Cochin and Bangalore. We can even extend for Trivandrum if required.

As of now there are two breaks that I take during these trips.

1) Ootupura, Walayar. This restaurant is run by KTDC and is a clean, well maintained and high quality place which cheap prices. I stop there in all my trips, either for breakfast, lunch or snacks and have never been dissapointed. Their food quality is consistently good and service pleasant.

2) A2B or Adyar Anand Bhavan, Thoppur or after krishnagiri. This is the place of my second stop enroute Bangalore. Its quite crowded and I stop there just because the toilets are clean. Food quality is good, but the prices are exorbitant. I stop here for lack of known alternative. It used to be a self service and now they provide service. Service is bad and slow. This place is extremely crowded and noisy at all times and hence I'm looking for alternatives after Salem.

There are a few more places after the A2B at Krishnagiri; but story everywhere is similar.

Please pour in your experiences in this route.
krish3 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2010, 11:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
This thread is intented as a guide for those who frequently drive between Cochin and Bangalore. We can even extend for Trivandrum if required.

As of now there are two breaks that I take during these trips.

1) Ootupura, Walayar. This restaurant is run by KTDC and is a clean, well maintained and high quality place which cheap prices. I stop there in all my trips, either for breakfast, lunch or snacks and have never been dissapointed. Their food quality is consistently good and service pleasant.

2) A2B or Adyar Anand Bhavan, Thoppur or after krishnagiri. This is the place of my second stop enroute Bangalore. Its quite crowded and I stop there just because the toilets are clean. Food quality is good, but the prices are exorbitant. I stop here for lack of known alternative. It used to be a self service and now they provide service. Service is bad and slow. This place is extremely crowded and noisy at all times and hence I'm looking for alternatives after Salem.

There are a few more places after the A2B at Krishnagiri; but story everywhere is similar.

Please pour in your experiences in this route.

There is one Sri Krishna Inn at Shoolagiri. Found the food quality to be very good even though expensive. There is a CCD, HP petrol bunk and clean toilets run by Fleurs in the area. Main advantage is that it is not as crowded as A2B and the Espresso from CCD is good for tired souls.
Old 14th May 2010, 11:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

For early morning starters from Bangalore are there any good breakfast options near to Salem? I used to have it from a place (don't remember the name) near the circle in the Salem bypass where you take left for Kerala, I can term this as just average and rest rooms are not great
Old 14th May 2010, 12:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

There is a A2B after crossing Dharmapuri, towards Bangalore side (opposite side of the road when you are driving towards Salem).

BTW, at Salem, you have to turn right and not left, if you want to take NH47 to Kerala.
Old 14th May 2010, 13:48   #5
Team-BHP Support

At Salem, need to go beyond the 5 roads signal near the bus stand. You have Saravana Bhavan (Its not the Saravana Bhavan Chain). Good food and also easey hit this place without going deep into Salem.
Old 14th May 2010, 14:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
There is a A2B after crossing Dharmapuri, towards Bangalore side (opposite side of the road when you are driving towards Salem).

BTW, at Salem, you have to turn right and not left, if you want to take NH47 to Kerala.
Sorry about that, it is right. I don't mind the extra 2 kms for U turn for A2B, but it has become too crowded and NO service, except for the cleam rest rooms and parking I see nothing good about this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
At Salem, need to go beyond the 5 roads signal near the bus stand. You have Saravana Bhavan (Its not the Saravana Bhavan Chain). Good food and also easey hit this place without going deep into Salem.
Thanks, had always felt lazy to deviate from the bypass and enter Salem town in the morning rush hours. Do they have parking?
Old 14th May 2010, 14:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

There were many good hotels in Sankari and Perumdurai but after the completion of the 4 laning its all nearly disappeared from our notice. May be we would have to take a deroute to the town side to find good hotels.

A2B is most of the time crowded and I felt they rip us literally for the kind of food they serve (many might disagree). Very basic breakfast for 3 is easily coming to 150+ bucks.

Almost 500 meters away from highway near Perumdurai, there is a restaurant "Chennis", they are clean and provide decent food (atleast when we went).

If we take the short route bypassing Salem via Sankari, there are couple of restaurants like Highway Bliss (If i remember correctly) who serve decent and affordable food.

After Angamali, its difficult to find a good restaurant on Highway. Most of them are rippers targetting only on Bus crowd and not at all good. I came early last time and couldnt find any breakfast point at all and had to settle with a pathetic Indian Coffee House.

Next week, again a trip to Kottayam is planned. May be i shall try to note couple of hotels but not sure if i would go via Dindigul to cover thodupuzha first and then to go Kottayam.

Last edited by jacs : 14th May 2010 at 14:24.
Old 14th May 2010, 15:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post

A2B is most of the time crowded and I felt they rip us literally for the kind of food they serve (many might disagree). Very basic breakfast for 3 is easily coming to 150+ bucks.

If we take the short route bypassing Salem via Sankari, there are couple of restaurants like Highway Bliss (If i remember correctly) who serve decent and affordable food.
I am with you on A2B, I think we gave much of undeserved publicity for A2B in BHP.

OT - I am not aware of this route, does this help to avoid the Salem traffic and bad patch where 4 lane is not completed
Old 14th May 2010, 15:50   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
I am with you on A2B, I think we gave much of undeserved publicity for A2B in BHP.

OT - I am not aware of this route, does this help to avoid the Salem traffic and bad patch where 4 lane is not completed
One point to note is that the Dharmapuri A2B is not that crowded compared to Krishnagiri one. This is because at Krishnagiri you also get the Chennai traffic along with Salem traffic.

So its good to break at Thoppur as compared to Krishnagiri while going towards Salem.
But please note you need to take a U and come back to hit the place as its on the opposite side of the road.

Last edited by ampere : 14th May 2010 at 15:51.
Old 17th May 2010, 10:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sorry I confused you. Its the same Omallur - Sankari which skips Salem from the route. Now that road is in good condition, may be i'll try this weekend on my Thodupuzha/Kottayam travel.
Old 17th May 2010, 10:15   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Though I agree its very costly compared to other places, but if you see it as a place which has everything: Parking, Petrol and also good clean food, I am OK to pay that much money. Its still cheaper than Saravana Bhavan, which is rip-off.

I find it very comfortable to arrive at this place and relax. Much more peace of mind compared to other places.

Not seen many places like that (Kamat is only equivalent place where food is also cheaper).

The other reason I think food is costly is that many times I felt they make food in ghee rather than oil.

Last edited by ampere : 17th May 2010 at 10:17.
Old 25th May 2010, 12:45   #12
BHPian

The A1-plazas at Ettimadai and Arasur on NH-47 between Palakkad and Salem have re-opened under the name "Rajbhoj" or something similar. I would like to know whether any Team-Bhpian has been to the re-opened avatars of A1-Plazas? How is the food? I am driving from from Palakkad to Bangalore early tomorrow and is planning to stop on the one near Arasur based on the response here. In my last trip in this sector, I ended up with a Delhi Belli after stopping over at Saravana Bhavan ( the one between Coimbatore byepass and Avinashi).
BTW, is this Saravana Bhavan part of the Saravana Bhavan chain?

-- Wind
Old 25th May 2010, 13:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
The A1-plazas at Ettimadai and Arasur on NH-47 between Palakkad and Salem have re-opened under the name "Rajbhoj" or something similar. I would like to know whether any Team-Bhpian has been to the re-opened avatars of A1-Plazas? How is the food? I am driving from from Palakkad to Bangalore early tomorrow and is planning to stop on the one near Arasur based on the response here. In my last trip in this sector, I ended up with a Delhi Belli after stopping over at Saravana Bhavan ( the one between Coimbatore byepass and Avinashi).
BTW, is this Saravana Bhavan part of the Saravana Bhavan chain?

-- Wind
Are you referring to Rajabhojanam which operates along with the Reliance fuel station? I heard mixed opinion though not experienced myself.

BTW when you drive from Palakkad, these options might be pretty early. You can consider Chennis near Perundurai, clear directions on NH47 and its just half a kilometer from the highway. They give decent facility, manageble crowd and not very expensive too.

Last edited by jacs : 25th May 2010 at 13:52.
Old 25th May 2010, 14:59   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Are you referring to Rajabhojanam which operates along with the Reliance fuel station?
Yes.

Quote:
BTW when you drive from Palakkad, these options might be pretty early. You can consider Chennis near Perundurai, clear directions on NH47 and its just half a kilometer from the highway. They give decent facility, manageble crowd and not very expensive too.
I am actually starting from Valanchery about 60 kms. away from Palakkad. To reach Hotel Chennis, I assume I have to take the exit towards, Perumdurai from NH-47. Please confirm.

-- Wind.
Old 25th May 2010, 15:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
I am actually starting from Valanchery about 60 kms. away from Palakkad. To reach Hotel Chennis, I assume I have to take the exit towards, Perumdurai from NH-47. Please confirm.

-- Wind.
Yes, you take a right under the bridge and you can join back the same point. No confusion since they have given proper directions even from 10KMs advance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks