Team-BHP - Delhi - Kullu - Manali - Delhi : Route Queries
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Delhi - Kullu - Manali - Delhi : Route Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/81414-delhi-kullu-manali-delhi-route-queries-10.html)

Has anyone lately visited Manali? How are the road conditions?

We (Group of 5 families) are going to Manali on the 14th of June, We have booked the hotels for the same as well. We will be leaving from Moradabad(UP) at 4:30 AM since it's a peak season and there will be traffic. We will be spending the night at Raison(HP) which is approx 25 kms before Manali.

Now I want to know which route should I take as there are 3-4 routes from Moradabad:

1. Moradabad - Bijnor - Saharanpur - Yamuna Nagar - Ambala - Swarghat - Bilaspur - Mandi - Manali (630 KMS 15.30 Hrs)

2. Moradabad - Merrut - Shamli - Karnal - Ambala - Swarghat - Bilaspur - Mandi - Manali (652 KMS 14.30 hrs)

3. Moradabad - Hapur(Bypass) - Dasna - Rai (Taking Eastern Peripheral Expressway) - Murthal - Panipat - Karnal - Ambala - Swarghat - Bilaspur - Mandi - Manali (699 KMS 14.20 Hrs)

My priority is the 3rd route if anyone can help me with some information that the Dasna Exit for EPE is operational or not? Or has anyone done Dasna to Kundi part of the EPE. Reason for choosing this route is because it will be a 4 lane highway for me from Moradabad to Kundli and so on.

I have the same question again, if anyone has been to Manali in the recent past (after the HP floods), it would be great if they share the road conditions between Chandigarh and Manali.

Our previous plan got cancelled and current plan is to drive from chandigarh to Manali on 22 Oct.

Many thanks in advance

Quote:

Originally Posted by vidyasagar (Post 4477665)
I have the same question again, if anyone has been to Manali in the recent past (after the HP floods), it would be great if they share the road conditions between Chandigarh and Manali.

Our previous plan got cancelled and current plan is to drive from chandigarh to Manali on 22 Oct.

Many thanks in advance

I am just returning from Manalil and roads are motorable, albeit you need to cross many patch works in between. Also,4 laning work is going on from Mandi but all vehicles are going. Between kullu and Manali, better to use Naggar route, as it is relatively better than the highway, which has been almost eroded in the recent floods in many places. Better to travel in the early morning, between Kullu and Manali, to avoid traffic jam. Alto to Volvo, all are going up to Manalil and best wishes for your trip👍

Hi! Anyone drove to Manali from Delhi in the last two months? I am planning to drive with my family later this month. Any feedback on road conditions or routes to avoid would be very helpful. I read that four-laning work was going on last year from Mandi. Is that over? Many thanks in advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by endy (Post 4570720)
Hi! Anyone drove to Manali from Delhi in the last two months? I am planning to drive with my family later this month. Any feedback on road conditions or routes to avoid would be very helpful. I read that four-laning work was going on last year from Mandi. Is that over? Many thanks in advance.

We went for a family trip to Manali during Holi weekend in March 2019. I have done numerous trips to Manali in the last 15 years. This one was the most time consuming & tiring trip despite the fact that we were in a very capable vehicle like S cross 1.6.

The work on the road from the start of hills i.e Kiratpur to Nerchowk (14 km before Mandi) is suspended, courtesy ILFS crisis. The project was to be completed in 2015 end but now the matters will go to courts before the work is handed over to other parties. So, wait goes on longer.:Frustrati

Kiratpur to Bilaspur and further till ACC plant Burmana has not been repaired this season, thus is patchy/ potholed road. From Barmana to a bit ahead of Satluj Bridge, the road is smooth. From there on to almost till Sundernagar and Nerchowk bye- pass have been 4 laned. Be careful, dont drive too fast seeing 4 laned smooth surfaces because there are lane closures/ level difference, unpaved patches, which appear suddenly.

From hereon to Mandi, the next 15 km are full of potholes, though on the return, we saw the road being repaired. From Mandi to Pandoh 19 km, the road is ok; Pandoh to Aut tunnel, is the worst part. The hill cutting is going on, best way is plan the journey in such a way, that this strech is crossed between 6-8 am, otherwise, it can take more than 2 hours at times due to closures, traffic build up etc. While going up, a night stay can ve planned in Mandi or around so as to get through this part of the road early. Also make sure, low GC or loaded cars's belly scrap can't be avoided due to broken roads here. Completion date of this part is Sep 2021.

From Aut tunnel to Bhuntar is also being 4 laned but is not bad. Don't shift to left bank road at Bhutar as it is this road which is being widended. Stick to route through Kullu city and continue on old right bank road. After Kullu till Manali, the road widening is 80% complete as this involves widening on existing road and not 4 laning. A toll plaza neae Patlikuhl is ready but toll is not being collected.

It took us 12 hours from Chandigarh to Manali this time, whereas I have covered Delhi Manali in 11-12 hours including breaks several times in past. The scenario is going to improve after 3-4 years, let's hope for the best.

Quote:

Originally Posted by breezydrive (Post 4571427)
We went for a family trip to Manali during Holi weekend in March 2019. I have done numerous trips to Manali in the last 15 years. This one was the most time consuming & tiring trip despite the fact that we were in a very capable vehicle like S cross 1.6.

The work on the road from the start of hills i.e Kiratpur to Nerchowk (14 km before Mandi) is suspended, courtesy ILFS crisis. The project was to be completed in 2015 end but now the matters will go to courts before the work is handed over to other parties. So, wait goes on longer.:Frustrati

Kiratpur to Bilaspur and further till ACC plant Burmana has not been repaired this season, thus is patchy/ potholed road. From Barmana to a bit ahead of Satluj Bridge, the road is smooth. From there on to almost till Sundernagar and Nerchowk bye- pass have been 4 laned. Be careful, dont drive too fast seeing 4 laned smooth surfaces because there are lane closures/ level difference, unpaved patches, which appear suddenly.

From hereon to Mandi, the next 15 km are full of potholes, though on the return, we saw the road being repaired. From Mandi to Pandoh 19 km, the road is ok; Pandoh to Aut tunnel, is the worst part. The hill cutting is going on, best way is plan the journey in such a way, that this strech is crossed between 6-8 am, otherwise, it can take more than 2 hours at times due to closures, traffic build up etc. While going up, a night stay can ve planned in Mandi or around so as to get through this part of the road early. Also make sure, low GC or loaded cars's belly scrap can't be avoided due to broken roads here. Completion date of this part is Sep 2021.

From Aut tunnel to Bhuntar is also being 4 laned but is not bad. Don't shift to left bank road at Bhutar as it is this road which is being widended. Stick to route through Kullu city and continue on old right bank road. After Kullu till Manali, the road widening is 80% complete as this involves widening on existing road and not 4 laning. A toll plaza neae Patlikuhl is ready but toll is not being collected.

It took us 12 hours from Chandigarh to Manali this time, whereas I have covered Delhi Manali in 11-12 hours including breaks several times in past. The scenario is going to improve after 3-4 years, let's hope for the best.

Many thanks breezydrive. I missed the Holi weekend, and so am planning the upcoming holiday this month, before the regular holiday season starts. Even the April break I am expecting to be crowded.
However, as per your feedback, I am having second thoughts. My elder son (8 yrs. old) has motion/mountain sickness sometimes, and that's my biggest concern, if the road conditions are so poor.
I have driven almost all across the country with my family, but now maybe I will have to explore flight/volvo options from Delhi. We will miss the fun and the scenic beauty on the way, but then the drive option appears difficult. Any feedback would be highly appreciated.

Hi Team, I'm planning a Delhi-Manali trip in the 1st week of June, how is the road situation these days, has anyone visited recently?

Another question is how difficult is the drive uptil Rohtang pass, and how is the road condition? It is advisable to take our own car up there?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuHasstMich (Post 4592409)
Hi Team, I'm planning a Delhi-Manali trip in the 1st week of June, how is the road situation these days, has anyone visited recently?

Another question is how difficult is the drive uptil Rohtang pass, and how is the road condition? It is advisable to take our own car up there?

I was travelling 4/5 weeks back in Volvo bus to Kullu as my parents live there. I also drove my dad car from Kullu to Manali during that visit. The road conditions are exactly like what breezydrive mentioned in couple of post above. It will be real pain to drive due to 4 lane extension work. I don't want to discourage you but please make sure you plan for extra travel time due to this.

Road after Kullu to Manali is excellent now. Most of it is 4 lanes and toll near Patlikuhl has not started yet.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singh09 (Post 4410437)
Has anyone lately visited Manali? How are the road conditions?

We (Group of 5 families) are going to Manali on the 14th of June, We have booked the hotels for the same as well. We will be leaving from Moradabad(UP) at 4:30 AM since it's a peak season and there will be traffic. We will be spending the night at Raison(HP) which is approx 25 kms before Manali.

Now I want to know which route should I take as there are 3-4 routes from Moradabad:

1. Moradabad - Bijnor - Saharanpur - Yamuna Nagar - Ambala - Swarghat - Bilaspur - Mandi - Manali (630 KMS 15.30 Hrs)

2. Moradabad - Merrut - Shamli - Karnal - Ambala - Swarghat - Bilaspur - Mandi - Manali (652 KMS 14.30 hrs)

3. Moradabad - Hapur(Bypass) - Dasna - Rai (Taking Eastern Peripheral Expressway) - Murthal - Panipat - Karnal - Ambala - Swarghat - Bilaspur - Mandi - Manali (699 KMS 14.20 Hrs)

My priority is the 3rd route if anyone can help me with some information that the Dasna Exit for EPE is operational or not? Or has anyone done Dasna to Kundi part of the EPE. Reason for choosing this route is because it will be a 4 lane highway for me from Moradabad to Kundli and so on.

I responded to an old query, hence deleting

Planning A road trip from Delhi To Manali in the first week of June.....All the threads are quite helpful. Special Thanks to breezydrive for the detailed explanation. would definitely keep all in mind.
Planning to stop by at Bilaspur the first night and leave at 8am the next morning for Manali. As 4 families traveling with kids, don't want to stretch it in 1 day.

Will give my review once am back.

Quote:

We went for a family trip to Manali

Any idea how the road uptil Rohtang pass is as of now?

Just got back from Manali, the roads are overall in good condition, did not face much issues.

We took the Delhi-Karnal-Ambala-Rupnagar-Bilaspur-Mandi-Kullu-Manali route, with night stay at Mandi on Day1. Visco resorts is an excellent property by the riverside in Mandi.
From Kullu to Manali, it is better to go through Kullu first and then take the new flyover to join the road towards Manali, use the Kullar-Naggar-Manali road, it is in good condition after Kullu and traffic free. Avoid taking NH3 from Kullu to Manali, because there are severe traffic jams on that road once you enter Manali.
On return, the new Kullu bypass road from Kullu onwards is in very bad shape, work is in progress. Again would be better to go through Kullu.

Hope this helps.

Has anyone recently travelled from Delhi to Manali, am planning a trip from 20-25 october. Have read about people taking 15 to 16 hours to reach because of too much construction en route and poor condition of roads.

Any help on which route to take? Have never visited Manali so am unsure about the condition of roads and the best route to take.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolboy007 (Post 4906011)
Has anyone recently travelled from Delhi to Manali, am planning a trip from 20-25 october. Have read about people taking 15 to 16 hours to reach because of too much construction en route and poor condition of roads.

Not sure if these information would help you. I've travelled last in Feb'20. Roads were in very bad condition for most part of HP till Aut tunnel back then. Road construction was going on for a major part. I'm not sure if roads are better now. If it's still the same, be prepared to cover only 20-25 kms an hour. Below details from my trip. 200 kms from Rupnagar sub district till Aut was covered in 8 hours including breaks. Travel time shown doesn't include car's engine idle time. Regulars on this route can may be able to give you current update.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolboy007 (Post 4906011)

Any help on which route to take? Have never visited Manali so am unsure about the condition of roads and the best route to take.

Ropar Swarghat Bilaspur has been a mess since forever. I think it is better to go via Arki. You’ll bypass this entire section.