Team-BHP - Delhi - Kullu - Manali - Delhi : Route Queries
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Delhi - Kullu - Manali - Delhi : Route Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/81414-delhi-kullu-manali-delhi-route-queries-7.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbanator (Post 3936754)
currently main highway - Ropar - Kiratpur - Swarghat - Bilaspur is in good shape except for small patches. They are doing 4 laning between Kiratpur - Swarghat and have made new road operational on one side, just factor the extra rush due to extended holi weekend.

sirjee, which side has the new road been opened - from kiratpur to swarghat or the reverse? A friend is headed to Manali on the 23rd afternoon. If kiratpur is in good condition then diverting via Una is unnecessary, except for the beauty / driving pleasure.

Quote:

which side has the new road been opened - from kiratpur to swarghat or the reverse?
The new one is open to both side , so its still a 2 lane road but far better then old. This is as per information received from my known who does this stretch regularly.

Yes , at this time going via any other route is not suggested.

Quote:

Originally Posted by phamilyman (Post 3936833)
sirjee, which side has the new road been opened - from kiratpur to swarghat or the reverse? A friend is headed to Manali on the 23rd afternoon. If kiratpur is in good condition then diverting via Una is unnecessary, except for the beauty / driving pleasure.

Hi

Which route was used by your friend. If it was kiratpur to swarghat, what is the groud level report. Kindly help as I'm planning for manali around 12th of may and need to finalise the route plan and other associated things as I'm travelling with three young kids, an aged mother, my wife and obviously me in a Scorpio.

I will be traveling around 20th June. Will it be raining at that time and what is the approximate time from kasol to ropar n how are the road conditions.

Also which are the must stop place enroute

Sharing my experience on Delhi/Chandigarh-Manali route in June 2016

Quote:

Originally Posted by FidoDido (Post 3968072)
Hi

Which route was used by your friend. If it was kiratpur to swarghat, what is the groud level report. Kindly help as I'm planning for manali around 12th of may and need to finalise the route plan and other associated things as I'm travelling with three young kids, an aged mother, my wife and obviously me in a Scorpio.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivek_sharma20 (Post 3970503)
I will be traveling around 20th June. Will it be raining at that time and what is the approximate time from kasol to ropar n how are the road conditions.

Also which are the must stop place enroute

Itinerary

Departure from Delhi: 18th June 2016
Route: Delhi-Ambala-Shambhu Toll-Banur-Kharar-Ropar-Swarghat-Bilaspur-Sundernagar-NerChowk-Mandi-Aut-Manali

Started from Delhi around midnight. I stay close to Karnal bypass. Drive on Delhi-Ambala-Banur-Kharar was a breeze, about 4 hours I touched Chandigarh - Ropar stretch. Road construction slowed us down even though it was 5 a.m. the traffic was heavy. Stopped over at Hertiage Haveli for quick break. Continued on NH21. After HP border, road widening is going on but traffic was negligible. All good road for the next 100-200 kms but approx 20 kms before Sundarnagar due to road widening there is no tarmac, only stones of all sizes. If your vehicle has low GC you may not go beyond 20 kmph. Vehicles from behind were honking, screaming but I'd to let them pass. Took about for about an hour to cross this horrifying stretch :Frustrati.

By 10 we reached Sundernagar and city traffic slowed us down till Ner Chowk. Ner chowk is a kind of auto market for car washing, denting, painting services etc. Reached Mandi by 11 and it become important for us to stop and relax. Next, road from Mandi via Aut and beyond is very scenic for a relaxed drive and for taking pictures. But the traffic volume was high. Just before Kullu on that small roundabout which points to Kullu city on the left and Manikaran straight, I don't know why that policemen asked me to go Manali via Kullu city. Please take Kullu/Manikaran bypass for Manali.

Our hotel was on Nagger road near Aleo, some autowala suggested to take Nagger Road from Kullu. That road is narrow but drivable.

Return: 22nd June 2016
Route: Manali-Kullu bypass-Mandi-Ner chowk-Jahu-Bhota-Una-Nangal-Ropar-Kharar-Banur-Ambala-Delhi

Before taking this route, first I inquired with local taxis near bus stand and got heads up over NH21.

Started at 1 a.m. from Volvo bus stand. In 2.5 hours we reached Ner chowk and took Hamirpur exit towards Khalkar. This 10 - 15 kms stretch is very narrow, scary with sharp hair pin turns. Only one vehicle can pass at a time. I encountered 6 vehicles from the other side and all of them switched off their headlights while I was passing. Then from khalkar to Jahu, Bhota till UNA, road is too good I mean, what an highway guys! Very very scenic. By 6 we touched UNA, Heritage Haveli by 7.30 and back to Delhi by 11 with one more stopover at Murthal.

Our return journey was completed in 11 hours compared to 14 hours while going. My suggestion is if time really matters to you, consider UNA route over NH21 even though it is longer, it will save time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneToughRider (Post 4001974)
Sharing my experience on Delhi/Chandigarh-Manali route in June 2016

Itinerary

Departure from Delhi: 18th June 2016
Route: Delhi-Ambala-Shambhu Toll-Banur-Kharar-Ropar-Swarghat-Bilaspur-Sundernagar-NerChowk-Mandi-Aut-Manali

Started from Delhi around midnight. I stay close to Karnal bypass. Drive on Delhi-Ambala-Banur-Kharar was a breeze, about 4 hours I touched Chandigarh - Ropar stretch. Road construction slowed us down even though it was 5 a.m. the traffic was heavy. Stopped over at Hertiage Haveli for quick break. Continued on NH21. After HP border, road widening is going on but traffic was negligible. All good road for the next 100-200 kms but approx 20 kms before Sundarnagar due to road widening there is no tarmac, only stones of all sizes. If your vehicle has low GC you may not go beyond 20 kmph. Vehicles from behind were honking, screaming but I'd to let them pass. Took about for about an hour to cross this horrifying stretch :Frustrati.

By 10 we reached Sundernagar and city traffic slowed us down till Ner Chowk. Ner chowk is a kind of auto market for car washing, denting, painting services etc. Reached Mandi by 11 and it become important for us to stop and relax. Next, road from Mandi via Aut and beyond is very scenic for a relaxed drive and for taking pictures. But the traffic volume was high. Just before Kullu on that small roundabout which points to Kullu city on the left and Manikaran straight, I don't know why that policemen asked me to go Manali via Kullu city. Please take Kullu/Manikaran bypass for Manali.

Our hotel was on Nagger road near Aleo, some autowala suggested to take Nagger Road from Kullu. That road is narrow but drivable.

Return: 22nd June 2016
Route: Manali-Kullu bypass-Mandi-Ner chowk-Jahu-Bhota-Una-Nangal-Ropar-Kharar-Banur-Ambala-Delhi

Before taking this route, first I inquired with local taxis near bus stand and got heads up over NH21.

Started at 1 a.m. from Volvo bus stand. In 2.5 hours we reached Ner chowk and took Hamirpur exit towards Khalkar. This 10 - 15 kms stretch is very narrow, scary with sharp hair pin turns. Only one vehicle can pass at a time. I encountered 6 vehicles from the other side and all of them switched off their headlights while I was passing. Then from khalkar to Jahu, Bhota till UNA, road is too good I mean, what an highway guys! Very very scenic. By 6 we touched UNA, Heritage Haveli by 7.30 and back to Delhi by 11 with one more stopover at Murthal.

Our return journey was completed in 11 hours compared to 14 hours while going. My suggestion is if time really matters to you, consider UNA route over NH21 even though it is longer, it will save time.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your experience!

I am travelling in a couple of days with family and planning on breaking the journey by staying overnight at Anandpur Sahib on 15/10 and then travelling to Manali in the morning of 16/10.

Your comment on GC caught my attention and hence this question. I am travelling by Honda City and was apprehensive due to the (comparatively) lower GC. Any suggestions on the route that you may have for me? Which car did you travel by? Also, are there refuelling options available once you hit the hills?

Thanks!
Jagminder

Quote:

Originally Posted by jugz (Post 4074081)
Hi,

Thanks for sharing your experience!

I am travelling in a couple of days with family and planning on breaking the journey by staying overnight at Anandpur Sahib on 15/10 and then travelling to Manali in the morning of 16/10.

Your comment on GC caught my attention and hence this question. I am travelling by Honda City and was apprehensive due to the (comparatively) lower GC. Any suggestions on the route that you may have for me? Which car did you travel by? Also, are there refuelling options available once you hit the hills?

Thanks!
Jagminder

Hi, considering that you would have driven on this route recently - just wanted to check if you had any advice in terms of what route to take from Delhi to Manali. Would appreciate any advice based on your recent exprience1

Thanks

Bumping up this thread.

Planning a trip by March end to Barot from Delhi. Which route to take, and which is in good shape ?

Latest on the Delhi - Manali Route; Drive done Mid-December.

Route to Manali:
Delhi - Shambhu Barrier - Kiratpur sahib - Una - Bhota - Ner Chowk - Mandi - Manali
Distance Covered - 620KM ; Travel Time - 12 Hrs

Took the longer option, as i was doing this route for the first time and had read some bad stories of the usual Bilaspur route. Must say wasn't disappointed with the decision and enjoyed the drive totally. There is hardly any traffic once you hit the hills and it's scenic and fast. Started from Delhi at 2:00AM and reached Manali in 12 hrs with about 11 hrs of driving time
and this wasn't leisure driving at all. Did not face any stoppages throughout this route. Forgot to take the Kullu bypass at Bhuntar and had to spend 20 min in Kullu traffic.
Notes:
-Delhi to Shambhu Barrier is clean and fast.
-Shambhu Barrier till Kharar (i think) was a wide single carriageway, low traffic and without much habitation. Met with thick fog here.
-6-8km after Kharar, Road widening is on, so need to watchout for diversions.
-Road really improves after this and is dual carriageway till Kiratpur where it branches off to Bilaspur and Una.
-Road surface till Una is also good.
-Road section from Una till about 30Km before Ner chowk ( I think map says khalkar) is fabulous and devoid of any traffic. After that it gets narrow with sharp blind hairpin bends. Road width is hardly enough for a
car and fixed up in patches which makes it bumpy. You have to get off the road to let even a M800 pass and you might meet with some oncoming trucks/buses.
-Good surface till Manali from Ner Chowk.

On the Return Journey, after some thought decided to take the Bilaspur-Swarghat stretch home, as i wasn't keen on doing the extra 60Km through Bhota-Una no matter how good the stretch was.

Manali - Mandi - Sundernagar - bilaspur - Swarghat - Kiratpur - Shambhu Barrier - Delhi
Distance Covered - 565KM ; Travel Time - 12 Hrs

Again it took 12hrs to reach Delhi but the drive till Swarghat was very involving and stressed with constant need to overtake the Trucks. As some sort of redemption drive through plains was Sub-lime.
Notes:
- Manali till Dadour is good. A small section of a few kms before Dadour is infact newly constructed and a 6 lane dual carriageway.
- After this point, this section has local town traffic till sundernagar. It is not a hilly section and surface is not the best quality. drive at slow to medium pace.
- Dual carriageway is being constructed after Sundernagar for about 10Km and the road is in abysmal state, tarred surface is actually not there.
- Road Quality is good after this with proper Hill section and Truck traffic to accompany. Driving is going to be stressful if you are in a hurry with constant overtaking.
- The last few Kms before you touch the plains is also being widened. Air is thick with dust kicked up by the trucks. Requires caution especially in dark.

Thank You.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mavrikm5 (Post 4116915)
Latest on the Delhi - Manali Route; Drive done Mid-December.

Given a choice, which route would you take if you are going again? I am planning a trip in 1st week of January.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mavrikm5 (Post 4116915)
[b]Manali - Mandi - Sundernagar - bilaspur - Swarghat - Kiratpur - Shambhu Barrier - Delhi
Distance Covered - 565KM ; Travel Time - 12 Hrs

Again it took 12hrs to reach Delhi but the drive till Swarghat was very involving and stressed with constant need to overtake the Trucks. As some sort of redemption drive through plains was Sub-lime.
Notes:
- Manali till Dadour is good. A small section of a few kms before Dadour is infact newly constructed and a 6 lane dual carriageway.
- After this point, this section has local town traffic till sundernagar. It is not a hilly section and surface is not the best quality. drive at slow to medium pace.
- Dual carriageway is being constructed after Sundernagar for about 10Km and the road is in abysmal state, tarred surface is actually not there.
- Road Quality is good after this with proper Hill section and Truck traffic to accompany. Driving is going to be stressful if you are in a hurry with constant overtaking.
- The last few Kms before you touch the plains is also being widened. Air is thick with dust kicked up by the trucks. Requires caution especially in dark.

Thank You.

I did almost similar route in 12 hours door to door

Tirthan Valley (Jibhi, Banjar District)-Mandi-Sundernagar-Bilaspur-Chandigarh-Delhi

Mandi to Bilaspur road is in shambles. Lot of construction work, diversions, horrible traffic and worse than roads in the himachal mountains

Bilaspur to Chandigarh : Too much traffic till it meets the NH1

NH1 to Delhi is a breeze albiet little traffic

All of this keeping a max 90kmph speed (due to restrictions)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sourabhzen (Post 4116933)
Given a choice, which route would you take if you are going again? I am planning a trip in 1st week of January.

Hey Sourabhzen,
Late reply, maybe you are already off but i think i will take the same routes again.

This thread is very helpful. I'm planning to drive from Chandigarh to Manali during mid-May. I plan to hire zoomcar from Chandigarh - will have small kids. What would be the suggested route?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj78 (Post 4151302)
This thread is very helpful. I'm planning to drive from Chandigarh to Manali during mid-May. I plan to hire zoomcar from Chandigarh - will have small kids. What would be the suggested route?

The normal route should be good enough >

Chandigarh > Rupnagar > KiratpurSahib > Bilaspur > Sundernagar > Mandi > Kullu > Manali

I think about 300 - 320 odd kms from Chandigarh.

Moreover, if plans do materialize, I'll probably be going to Mandi/Barot from Delhi, by end of March - so can share road conditions then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 4116955)
I did almost similar route in 12 hours door to door

Tirthan Valley (Jibhi, Banjar District)-Mandi-Sundernagar-Bilaspur-Chandigarh-Delhi

Mandi to Bilaspur road is in shambles. Lot of construction work, diversions, horrible traffic and worse than roads in the himachal mountains

Bilaspur to Chandigarh : Too much traffic till it meets the NH1

NH1 to Delhi is a breeze albiet little traffic

All of this keeping a max 90kmph speed (due to restrictions)

Thanks.
Can a 10 year old alto make it to Tirthan from Delhi? I have driven to Lansdowne. Are the hilly roads tougher? Lansdowne wasn't that difficult, though hill driving is entirely different.