Team-BHP - Delhi - Kullu - Manali - Delhi : Route Queries
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Delhi - Kullu - Manali - Delhi : Route Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/81414-delhi-kullu-manali-delhi-route-queries-9.html)

Travelled to Shimla on 24th June and what a horrific time we had. From Delhi to Shimla it took us close to 14 hours, due to numerous traffic jams all throughout!

The road between Panchkula and Solan is under repairs, and causes severe traffic blockages.

On the way back, tail-gated another BHPian's i10 Grand - DL XX CBX 1980.

On NH1, Punjab police stopped us to remove the temp sun-blinds from a window, eventually left us since we had put up the blind only because my son was sleeping in the back.
Does state police have jurisdiction on National highways?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuHasstMich (Post 4227436)

If NH is in state boundary then it falls in State Police jurisdiction. We do not have anything called centralized Highway Police.

Hello friends,

I am planning to visit shimla and Manali in the last week of september this year. Missed vacation during summer due to work commitments.
The following is my plan:

Reach chandigarh by flight from Bangalore
Take a self drive car: Zoomcar / Myles and drive up to shimla
after spending a couple of days, go further to Manali, for another couple of days
Return back to Chandigarh via shimla
Fly back to Bangalore.

The following are my questions in this regard:
1. Its not the best of seasons to visit, but are there any reasons to consider completely avaoiding the trip in this season / timeframe?
2. How is the road condition and facilities (like food options) enroute, is it ok for self-drive?
3. Is there needed for special permits etc, for visiting HP with a self drive car?
4. would there be any chance to see snow near Manali? (my 4 year old daughter is very interested)
5. Can I follow google / GPS or is there a particular route to avoid.

Many thanks in advance.

My comments are inline. I'll be driving up to Manali end of September too. Hope to cross paths.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vidyasagar (Post 4246733)
Hello friends,

I am planning to visit shimla and Manali in the last week of september this year. Missed vacation during summer due to work commitments.
The following is my plan:

Reach chandigarh by flight from Bangalore
Take a self drive car: Zoomcar / Myles and drive up to shimla
after spending a couple of days, go further to Manali, for another couple of days
Return back to Chandigarh via shimla
Fly back to Bangalore.

The following are my questions in this regard:
1. Its not the best of seasons to visit, but are there any reasons to consider completely avaoiding the trip in this season / timeframe?

No reason not to go now. In fact much fun and activities in hills start after mid Sep. The weather would be good too, expect a mild chill after sunset.

2. How is the road condition and facilities (like food options) enroute, is it ok for self-drive?
I am driving up to Manali on BRV with my young family (and pet) from NCR. There's hardly any highway in North where food isn't in abundance or good. So, it should be all okay on this front.

Start early from Delhi, know the milestones, learn about the route so you know what to expect. I'll trust my GPS most of the times.

3. Is there needed for special permits etc, for visiting HP with a self drive car? Nope, not Manali side

4. would there be any chance to see snow near Manali? (my 4 year old daughter is very interested)
I doubt there will be snow as the weather now is in mid 10s-low 20s C.

5. Can I follow google / GPS or is there a particular route to avoid.

Many thanks in advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuHasstMich (Post 4227436)

Yes. In the geographical extent the State Police has absolute jurisdiction irrespective of the ownership of the asset.

Drove to Manali & back to faridabad (NCR) a total of ~1300 kms in ~30 hours. Thought of sharing my experience for benefit of others.

Route: Faridabad-Delhi-Ambala-Rupnagar-Bilaspur-Mandi-Kulu-Manali and same for return

Key point: the route is 230 kms through hills and remaining 400+ on well laid out tarmac. The drive through the hills (after initial fun) is strenuous as it has slopes of varying gradients with heavy truck movement & slow moving vehicles to give company for a long while. Through these 230 kms, expect average speed to be max 30-35 kmph if driven aggressively yet safely.

On the forward journey, started at 4 AM from near Delhi and reached Manali at 9 PM (17 hours), with 1.5 hour of break time in all. Given this was 2nd Oct & Dusshera long weekend, there was more traffic than usual. If I would have gone during off peak days, i would have saved 1.5 hours I reckon.

On the return, started at 5 AM and reached Delhi border at 5 PM with just 15 mins break in total.

Road condition: From Delhi till PB-HP border (~400 kms) the roads are great and one can drive at the speeds one wants. From there on the serpentine drive starts for 230 kms through narrow & broken roads. All the desires to drive in hills can be completely satisfied in this trip (till the hills call again). About 100 kms from Manali the road conditions aren't great at all (at many places) and what surprises me is that the roads are still being made like it is the first time even after years since Manali got its fame. I wouldn't call it widening work as there's no road at all to begin with.

If your schedule allows I suggest taking a halt overnight midway or start as early as possible especially from Manali end. Cheers!:thumbs up

Am planning a trip in Feb/Mar to Manali. Idea is to see snow - any chance of snowfall up to March? Will likely fly to Chandigarh and rent a car from there to Manali. What would be the best route to take?

We visited Himachal on second week of March in 2015. There was heavy snowfall in upper Himachal like Kufri, Solong valley etc. Our trip report is attached. The details of routes we have taken also is mentioned in the report.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185742

Quote:

Originally Posted by AutoB (Post 4330987)
Am planning a trip in Feb/Mar to Manali. Idea is to see snow - any chance of snowfall up to March? Will likely fly to Chandigarh and rent a car from there to Manali. What would be the best route to take?

We were there during April 2017 and we experienced snow in Sollang Valley.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post4195830

I am driving to Chandigarh, Manali then Shimla from Delhi in the first week of March. Can anyone share some insight and tips about famous eateries or dhabas along the way. I would also appreciate some route tips if possible.

Between Delhi and Chandigarh you have TONS of eateries (Far too many for my liking). NH1 between Delhi - Ambala is probably the most densely populated in terms of dhabhas in the whole country. Anyways, here are some of the 'famous food places' between Delhi Chandigarh
1. Murthal (Yes its a destination but you'll find many dhabhas in 3-4 km stretch - Pahalvan, Amrik Sukhdev are more popular)
2. Karnal. Once you cross Karnal you'll find Savoy Greens to your right (they have McD, Dominos, Subway, A dosa place and Baskin Robins). Then there is Karnal Haveli. You can also try one of the old dhabhas in jhilmil or Mayur.
3. Puran Singh Dhabha is right next to Ambala Bus Stand. Very famous for their chicken/Mutton.
4. Nick Bakers just before you enter Zirakpur/Chandigarh.

Between Chandigarh Manali, the food options continue to be in high numbers until you turn towards the hills at Kiratpur. From there on in you'll find "TRUE" dhabhas.

Route
Delhi to Chandigarh is pretty straight forward. Stick to NH1 till Ambala and then take the Ambala-Chd expressway.
Chandigarh Manali goes via Kurali, Rupnagar, then take a right turn at Kiratpur on to Swarghat, Bilaspur, Mandi , Kullu and finally Manali. Chandigarh to manali is anywhere between 8 - 10 hours depending on prior driving experience and actual traffic conditions. Watch out for notorious truck traffic around swarghat and bilaspur owing to cement factories.
Manali to Shimla - there are 3 routes but I'd strongly recommend the one going via Jalori Pass (You'll of course need to find out about snow conditions at the time of travel to check if the pass is open). Route goes as Manali - Kullu - Aut (turn Left towards Banjar) - Shoja - jalori - Khanag - Luhri (You join NH21 and then take a right) - Narkanda - Shimla.

I'd be happy to answer any specific route queries.

Guys any recent route update? Read on the thread about narrow roads and the truck traffic near Bilaspur and onwards. I am planning a Gurgaon - Manali drive, and have a 5 months old baby along. Is Bilaspur a good stopover (means is it scenic?) , else would stopover early at Chandigarh and explore Sukhna lake in the evening.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faramir (Post 4389178)
Guys any recent route update? Read on the thread about narrow roads and the truck traffic near Bilaspur and onwards. I am planning a Gurgaon - Manali drive, and have a 5 months old baby along. Is Bilaspur a good stopover (means is it scenic?) , else would stopover early at Chandigarh and explore Sukhna lake in the evening.

Depending on your departure time, you can stay at Chandigarh or continue until Bilaspur. So, if you leave early from Gurgaon, you can spend some time in Chandigarh and then leave for Bilaspur. But if you leave at noon then better stay at Chandigarh. Can go to Sukhna lake or Rock garden depending on time and your interests. In case you continue to Bilaspur, you can stay at HP Lake view, some good views of the lake.

https://www.tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Rev...l_Pradesh.html

So glad to have this well established thread! Planning Manali over Christmas, is that a good time to catch snow? Rohtang may be closed I guess.

We would drive from Mumbai, and a white Christmas is what we're looking for. Also is Delhi to Manali achievable in 1 long driving day, say 4am start from CP and reach by dinner time?

Edit: to add, we are accomplished travellers, minimal stops and meals on the fly. Nuts and water make for good mile munching.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VivOverland (Post 4405858)
So glad to have this well established thread! Planning Manali over Christmas, is that a good time to catch snow? Rohtang may be closed I guess.

We would drive from Mumbai, and a white Christmas is what we're looking for. Also is Delhi to Manali achievable in 1 long driving day, say 4am start from CP and reach by dinner time?

Edit: to add, we are accomplished travellers, minimal stops and meals on the fly. Nuts and water make for good mile munching.

It's bit difficult to predict with regard to December, however, higher probabilities are there for snow. Rhotang pass will be closed for sure

Delhi to Manali , is doable, as planned, but if your journey date is exactly during the long weekend , then you may struck in traffic. Otherwise, its fine.