Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2010, 22:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Aug-Sept is for sure possible by all means. But, As per my knowledge snowfall starts by August which might be difficult for parents to visit in.
Old 17th May 2010, 06:53   #17
Team-BHP Support

Apart from snow, need to check out for rain, which cause many land slides and hence road blockages.
As HVK mentioned, Aug-Sep would be good as school-going-traffic would all have retreated.

Last edited by ampere : 17th May 2010 at 06:54.
Old 17th May 2010, 10:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

Looks like I have to look-out regarding school holidays as well though my still ain't admitted in school till yet

Anyhow, what about hill station suggestion. Which one you guys suggest, It must be a regular one rather than the distinct one so parents can enjoy at fullest. Nanital, corbett seems to be a detoured one.. What say ??
Old 17th May 2010, 10:09   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post

Anyhow, what about hill station suggestion. Which one you guys suggest, It must be a regular one rather than the distinct one so parents can enjoy at fullest. Nanital, corbett seems to be a detoured one.. What say ??
You can go via Chamba to Dhanaulti near Musoorie, or Lansdowne in Pauri Garhwal (off Srinagar).
Old 17th May 2010, 10:20   #20
Senior - BHPian

Again Dhanaulti and Lansdowne are not the hill stations you will prefer going to with Parents. Maye you and Mrs alongwith your kid, but definitely not with parents, why spoil their once a year vacation? lol. If they are religious minded then I would suggest Bageshwar, Jageshwar side where you will ahve your bit of Nature and they their bit of Religion.
Old 17th May 2010, 11:02   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...what about hill station suggestion. Which one you guys suggest, It must be a regular one rather than the distinct one so parents can enjoy at fullest.
Not clear what exactly you're looking for in the hill station. There are dozens of places in the Garhwal region. Is this a stopover you want on the way down from Badrinath? If so, I could suggest Karnaprayag, Pauri or Khirsu (the GMVNs are in excellent locations). Chamba has a beautiful resort (Classichotelsindia : Classic Hill Top Resort Chamba), albeit somewhat expensive in peak season (bargain hard if you're going after 15th July). New Tehri GMVN is also nice, overlooking the reservoir (with the old Tehri town drowned below it).

Take your pick.
Old 17th May 2010, 11:58   #22
Senior - BHPian

Karanprayag a hill station? I ahve my doubts.
New Tehri would be a good option but there is only the Hydel Project to look at, not exactly the kind of a yearly vacation the parents would look upto, but still atleast it offers something.
Old 17th May 2010, 15:33   #23
Senior - BHPian

For old parents, maybe you should take them to Munisyari and Patal Bhaireshwar in Kumaon so that you can exit via Nainital back to Delhi.
Old 17th May 2010, 16:01   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Phew... that's lots of suggestions. Thanks mates

Anyhow, as suggested the time period I am intending to visit the place is a bit dangerous due to landslides and rainy season. What will be the best season to visit the same. Is it June ??
Me and my cousin did Delhi - Badrinath - Hemkund Sahib - Delhi in 5 days flat! We took a taxi from Dehradun (the guy was really good) and had our first break at Rudraprayag (or the next city, I am not very sure of the name now). Reached Badri around 3pm on Day 2. Visited places around that day (mana village etc) and the temple in the evening. Again Day 3 morning visited temple again and took a dip (actually splashed some water from the hot spring on our face only) and were on the road again. Reached the base camp for Hemkund (Govindghat) at around noon and then it is a very challenging 20 km trek to the taal (Hemkund). This trek is a must if u are visiting this region as it is absolutely breath taking! At 14 km there is another base camp (forgot the name now) which is base camp for Valley of Flowers as well (3 KM trek). Hemkund is 6 KM very ardous climb from this place. We stayed there for the night of Day 3 as after 2 pm the climb to Hemkund/Valley of Flowers is not allowed. Day 4 started off early (5am) and reached Hemkund sahib by 8. We were back at Govindghat by 4 pm and were on our way back immediately. Reached somewhere near Srinagar that night by the time roads were closed (8 pm or thereabouts). Day 5 by noon we were in Haridwar where we left the taxi! Back in Delhi by 9 pm!

We went around the very end of sept for this trip (I think we were back on 4th oct). The weather was very nice through out (except till Rishikesh). Plenty of rooms available all around as it is not peak tourist season so got rooms for just 10% (or even less) compared to full rates. Also the roads were significantly less congested (I have heard in summers there could be very very bad traffic. there cud be hours or even days long traffic jams!) I would advise u to think of going there around last half of sept!
Old 20th May 2010, 12:37   #25
Senior - BHPian

After discussing with parents, hill station idea seems to be dropped. Looks like we have another tour at the end-of-year.

However, have chalked out a route for 7-8 days to take complete privilege of enjoying mountains/scenery/places to visit so as can complete the Badrinath-Kedarnath completely.

Will be driving till Haridwar, then picking up a Innova from there on and land up back to haridwar after tour and drive back to delhi.

Kindly go through the route and let me know the ODDs. I will be requiring your expertise in finalizing night halt places and place to visit during the visit.

Delhi-Badrinath-Kedarnath-Hill Station-Delhi - Possible in 7 Days?-route.jpg
Old 20th May 2010, 15:00   #26
Senior - BHPian

I suppose on Day 3, you will drive from Guptakashi/Ukimath to Gaurikund where the road ends for going to Kedarnath.

I am a little bemused by your "Bath at GauriKund" - it is the road end for Kedarnath.

I assume that you are staying back in Kedarnath. YOu can easily return to Gaurikund the same day. The horse ride takes you just 2.5-3 hrs (if you walk, maybe you can add 2 more), and if you reach Gaurikund by 8 am or so, you can do the horse ride till Kedarnath, finish darshan by noon and return to Gaurikund for onward journey the same day. Kedarnath has less stay facilities compared to Gaurikund, Sonprayag, etc, and is colder too.

Remember that you have to take the last convoy at 430 pm from Joshimath to Badrinath, hence tucking in Auli also the same day may be difficult, considering that the drive from Gaurikund to Joshimath can take at least 8-10 hours. And if you choose to stop over at temples like Tunganath, it will take even more time.

Ideally, on Day 6, you could finish the Badri darshan in the morning and come down to Auli for the night's stay by taking the mid-morning (1130) or afternoon (2 pm) convoy.

A single day's drive from badri (or Auli) to Hardwar can be very tiring for old people, although it is possible in 10-12 hours.

I find that you have not budgeted for time at Deoprayag which you can cover either coming or going.
Old 20th May 2010, 18:23   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I suppose on Day 3, you will drive from Guptakashi/Ukimath to Gaurikund where the road ends for going to Kedarnath.

I am a little bemused by your "Bath at GauriKund" - it is the road end for Kedarnath.

I assume that you are staying back in Kedarnath. YOu can easily return to Gaurikund the same day. The horse ride takes you just 2.5-3 hrs (if you walk, maybe you can add 2 more), and if you reach Gaurikund by 8 am or so, you can do the horse ride till Kedarnath, finish darshan by noon and return to Gaurikund for onward journey the same day. Kedarnath has less stay facilities compared to Gaurikund, Sonprayag, etc, and is colder too.

This is as per someone's suggestion where-in we'll be feeling dizzy due to Bath at Gaurikund (sulphuric bath) which might create problem while trekking to Kedarnath, hence will be taking bath while returning back i.e. Day4. (Not sure how much true is it )

Why staying at Kedarnath ?? Actually Idea is something like this where-in we'll try to attend morning aarti in kedarnath (Something paid one, I believe).

Remember that you have to take the last convoy at 430 pm from Joshimath to Badrinath, hence tucking in Auli also the same day may be difficult, considering that the drive from Gaurikund to Joshimath can take at least 8-10 hours. And if you choose to stop over at temples like Tunganath, it will take even more time.

Oh ok.. but as we are staying gopeshwar/chamoli on Day4 which is relatively closer to Joshimath as compared to Gaurikund-Joshimath i.e. if we start by 7:30 we can easily take convoy at 9:40. What do you say ??

BTW, I believe convoy starts from Joshimath.. Right ??

Delhi-Badrinath-Kedarnath-Hill Station-Delhi - Possible in 7 Days?-gate-timing.jpeg

Ideally, on Day 6, you could finish the Badri darshan in the morning and come down to Auli for the night's stay by taking the mid-morning (1130) or afternoon (2 pm) convoy. A single day's drive from badri (or Auli) to Hardwar can be very tiring for old people, although it is possible in 10-12 hours.

Nice Suggestion.. thanks. But ain't Staying at Badrinath more scenic and pleasent ??

I find that you have not budgeted for time at Deoprayag which you can cover either coming or going.

For sure it will be covered, while going.
Answered in BOLD.......
Old 20th May 2010, 20:26   #28
Senior - BHPian

Drive on till Mana and stay there. It would be better than staying at Badri. Plus tucking in Auli through the ropeway would be so much better. Whats there at Devprayag? Even if its a miss, there is hardly any harm done, but if you can manage then good,. but dont strain. The view of the confluence is so much better from a turn where the PWd signage is, I think about 3 Kms before you hit DevPrayag from Rishikesh.
Old 20th May 2010, 20:32   #29
Senior - BHPian

Took me 2 hours from Badrinath to Gopeshwar and 2 more hours from Gopeshwar to Ukhimath.

Badrinath is a typical pilgrim town, full of hotels, shops and people, hardly a pleasant place! Auli is a much better place to stay in.

Thanks for the timings, what I have on record are older timings, this comes as a good update. Yes, the convoy starts from Joshimath and stops halfway through at Govindghat. Takes almost 2 hours for the Joshimath-Badrinath drive.

Last edited by hvkumar : 20th May 2010 at 20:35.
Old 20th May 2010, 20:34   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Whats there at Devprayag? Even if its a miss, there is hardly any harm done, but if you can manage then good,. but dont strain. The view of the confluence is so much better from a turn where the PWd signage is, I think about 3 Kms before you hit DevPrayag from Rishikesh.
I think a visit to Raghunathji temple at the Deoprayag Sangam is a must-do for any pilgrim in this circuit. Views are incidental. But yes, the view from the road of the sangam is good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks