Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2010, 14:53   #1
BHPian

Mumbai - Hassan - Coorg : Route Queries

Hi Guys,
Which would be the best route to go to Hassan and then onwards to Coorg. Will be starting in the afternoon from Mumbai and plan to stay in Hassan to visit Belur/Halebid and then go onwards to Coorg.

Thank you so much.
Old 19th May 2010, 15:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiceye View Post
Hi Guys,
Which would be the best route to go to Hassan and then onwards to Coorg. Will be starting in the afternoon from Mumbai and plan to stay in Hassan to visit Belur/Halebid and then go onwards to Coorg.

Thank you so much.
IMO,the best route would be NH4 till Harihar.(BOM-Pune-Kolhapur-Belgaum-Hubli-Harihar)

From Harihar go via Honalli to Shimoga-Bhadravati-Hassan.

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 19th May 2010 at 15:20. Reason: delete
Old 19th May 2010, 15:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Thank you so much.
IMO,the best route would be NH4 till Harihar.(BOM-Pune-Kolhapur-Belgaum-Hubli-Harihar)

From Harihar go via Honalli to Shimoga-Bhadravati-Tarikere-Chikmaglur-Belur-Hassan.

Hassan-Arkalgud-Periyapatna-Right-Madikeri.

At Periyapatna,you join the Mysore-Madikeri road.
Old 19th May 2010, 15:29   #4
Team-BHP Support

You have another option. Chikmagulur (CKM) is north of Hassan and also north of Belur/Halebid. Instead of staying at Hassan you can stay at CKM. The route is same as Ranjit mentioned. Just that from Bhadra instead of going towards Hassan come to CKM.

If you want enjoy the drive there is one more route from Hubli and that is via Sirsi.

Hubli-Yellapur (NH63)
Yellapur - Sirsi - Siddapur - Talguppa (State Highway)
Talguppa - Sagar - Shimoga - Bhadra - Tarikere - Kadur (NH206)
Kadur - CKM State Highway

This drive is amazing and it goes through western ghats.

The route from Belur/Halebid/CKM to Coorg is:

CKM/Belur - Sakleshpur - Somwarpet - Medikeri.

You can take the same route back. Its the shortest.

The route till Hubli from Mumbai I guess is clear and hence, no clarifications needed for the same.

Last edited by ampere : 19th May 2010 at 15:31.
Old 19th May 2010, 15:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

CKM/Belur - Sakleshpur - Somwarpet - Medikeri.
You can take the same route back. Its the shortest.
This route is through internal state roads,so in case you are not proficient with local language etc,it might pose a slight problem,else like Ampere mentioned,it is the shortest.

Return in case you want to break the monotony of driving through the same roads,you could do Madikeri-Mangalore-NH17-Mumbai.

Or else take the Madikeri-Hunsur-Mysore(bypass)-Bangalore-Tumkur-NH4-Mumbai.This would be a fast drive as 80% of the route is 4 laned.(MYS-BLR & NH4)
Old 19th May 2010, 15:44   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Thank you so much.
From Hassan, two routes are there to coorg

Gorur--Arkalgudu--Kushalnagar--Madikeri

Gorur--Arlkalgudu--Shanivarsante--somavarpete--Madikeri

Both routes around 120 kms.
Old 19th May 2010, 16:21   #7
BHPian

Thank you so much Ranjit/ampere and shamanth.
Old 19th May 2010, 16:25   #8
MX6
Senior - BHPian

When do you plan to go? That would determine whether you need to branch off at Hubli and take the yellapura, sirsi, jog falls, sagara, thirthahalli route or other route from Harihar to honnalli, hassan and coorg.
Take the former once monsoons are active. If there are no rains, then no point in taking a longer route, and you can keep to harihar side.
Old 19th May 2010, 16:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

I'll break the post into 3 sections

A. From Mumbai to Shimoga you can take the following routes

1. Mumbai-Hubli-Harihar-Honnali-Shimoga or
2. bypass Shimoga by taking Mumbai-Hubli-Chitradurga-Bhadravati route.

I am not aware of road conditions on either of the routes.

B. From Shimoga there are 2 routes to Hassan

1. Shimoga-Bhadravati-Tarikere-Lingadahalli-Chikmagalur-Belur-Hassan

This route is through the ghats, but it is a lovely route and the roads are good all the way to Hassan.

2. Shimoga-Bhadravati-Tarikere-Arsikere-Dudda-Hassan

This is the route Hassan-Shimoga buses take. The route is pretty straight and the road is good until Dudda village. Dudda-Hassan around 10-15 kms (I forgot exact distance) is pretty pathetic

C. Hassan to Coorg (Madikeri). There are 2 routes

1. Hassan-Gorur-Arkalgud-Mallipatna-Shanivarsante-Somwarpet-Madikeri

The road conditions are decent but has rough patches till Arkalgud. Arkalgud-Mallipatna is rough. Mallipatna-Shanivarsante-Somwarpet-Madikeri is good with a few rough patches.

2. Hassan-Gorur-Arkalgud-Konanur-Kushalnagar-Madikeri

I do not know the road conditions between Arkalgud and Kushalnagar. Kushalnagar-Madikeri is good now (as per info from another thread)

Distance wise, both are same (as Shamanth has already specified)

Alternatives

As Ampere has suggested, you could stay over at Chikmagalur and continue to Coorg passing Belur-Halebid on the way. If you leave Chikmagalur early, you can visit Belur-Halebid and reach Madikeri by evening.

Taking the Hubli-Yellapur-Sirsi-Shimoga route is a long roundabout. But, it offers a great drive through the western ghats. The road conditions are good all along this route

Another route suggested here was the Chikmagalur-Belur-Sakleshpur-Somwarpet-Madikeri

I would not suggest taking this route because the road conditions from Belur to Sakleshpur is bad. Again from Sakleshpur you have 2 routes to Somwarpet.
1. Sakleshpur-Donigal-Shukravarsante-Kodlipet-Shanivarsante-Somwarpet
2. Sakleshpur-Ballupet-K Hoskote-Kodlipet-Shanivarsante-Somwarpet or

from Belur
Belur-Bikkodu-Belagodu-Ballupet-K Hoskote-Kodlipet-Shanivarsante-Somwarpet

All these are through interior roads with very less signage. Better avoid this and go via Hassan (even if you stay in Chikmagalur)

For the return journey, I'd suggest you to take Madikeri-Sulya-Puttur-Mangalore bypass-NH17-Mumbai

Last edited by addyhemmige : 19th May 2010 at 16:37. Reason: typo
Old 19th May 2010, 16:34   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
2. Hassan-Gorur-Arkalgud-Konanur-Kushalnagar-Madikeri

I do not know the road conditions between Arkalgud and Kushalnagar. Kushalnagar-Madikeri is good now (as per info from another thread)
10km stretch between Arkalgudu to Kushalnagara is horrible, you cannot drive more than 20 kmph. Other than this stretch road is fine.

And if you are coming from Shimoga side, take this route to hassan

Kadur-Banavara-Javgal-Halebedu-Hassan

Since Arsikere to hassan route is horrible with huge potholes. where as banavara to halebedu is having very good road and from halebedu to hassan ok road.

Last edited by shamanth : 19th May 2010 at 16:45.
Old 19th May 2010, 17:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Honnali-Shimoga is in a bad shape now.
Kadur area also has bad roads.
Old 19th May 2010, 17:23   #12
Team-BHP Support

Hey Addy, Thanks for that update. I was not aware that the Belur-Sakleshpur stretch was that bad. I thought that was doable.

Magiceye, As Addy suggests, I think then the best route from CKM to Coorg is via Hassan/Gorur/Arkalgud.

For the return you have choice. You can either go via Hubli, or through Konkan.

Also note the point mentioned by MX. The Karnataka interior route via Sirsi is worth it only when there are rains. You can see Jog on the way.
Old 19th May 2010, 23:00   #13
BHPian

Thank you so much guys. The trip is planned for 1st week of June. So thanks to all of you can now make an informed decision on the route.
Old 31st May 2010, 00:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
10km stretch between Arkalgudu to Kushalnagara is horrible, you cannot drive more than 20 kmph. Other than this stretch road is fine.
I just saw it now. Shamanth, I think you have made a typo. Arkalgud to Kushalnagar is around 45 kms and not 10 kms as you have stated. So does that mean the whole stretch between Arkalgud to Kushalnagar is horrible?
Old 31st May 2010, 10:09   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I just saw it now. Shamanth, I think you have made a typo. Arkalgud to Kushalnagar is around 45 kms and not 10 kms as you have stated. So does that mean the whole stretch between Arkalgud to Kushalnagar is horrible?
Of the 45 kms only 10 kms is horrible other than that its fine. In that 10 kms you cannot go more than 20 kmph, but if he wants to visit kushalnagar, Tibetan temple, dubare elephant camp and all, this is nearest.

Most Viewed