Team-BHP - Route query with a twist
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Route query with a twist (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/81932-route-query-twist-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranjitp1 (Post 1901967)
Are you sure you want to stay in Kutta,afaik there are no hotels in Kutta.There were a couple of homestays(if they still exist),the popular one being Chilligere Estate.

The places you could cover from Kutta are:

Nagarhole,Tholpetty,Irupu Falls(Brahmagiri wls)-theres some story associated with it-ram thirtha/lakshman thirtha,Tirunelly Temple,Pookot Lake(arnd 80km)

Ranjit, We are ok with homestays. I will take note of that place.

Also from Kutta to BLR, I am very well aware of the route and the condition as I did a recent trip to Nagarhole which is the route that I shall opt fro Kutta to BLR.

As for the places to see, actually we are not too worried even if we miss some, as we are primarily concentrating on the ride :)

My only concern is the route as mentioned earlier i.e., -Coonor-Ooty-gudalur-Kalpetta-Kutta -
I would require more details on the route between Gudalur to Kutta and the state of roads.

Gudalur to Bathery is about 50 Km. If you are doing starting from Ooty early morning/day time, it should not be of much concern (Thats what I feel. Have not done this route). I am not sure of it beyond.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 1902215)
Gudalur to Bathery is about 50 Km. If you are doing starting from Ooty early morning/day time, it should not be of much concern (Thats what I feel. Have not done this route). I am not sure of it beyond.

But I dont wish to go to Bathery as I presume there is a route from Gudalur directly to Kalpetta and then to Kutta ? Please correct if I am wrong

Quote:

Originally Posted by s3va (Post 1902796)
But I dont wish to go to Bathery as I presume there is a route from Gudalur directly to Kalpetta and then to Kutta ? Please correct if I am wrong

Yes. its not Bathery but Kalpetta. Sorry my mistake. To go to Calicut from Gudalur one need not go to Bathery.
One can directly touch Kalpetta and keep going. It was this route that I meant.

To go from Gudalur to Kutta, you have to go to Manathavady, which is either via Battery or via Meppadi-Kalpetta. Those going to Calicut from Gudalur will go via Meppadi and Kalpetta (where they join the Mysore-Battery-Calicut road).

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvkumar (Post 1903223)
To go from Gudalur to Kutta, you have to go to Manathavady, which is either via Battery or via Meppadi-Kalpetta. Those going to Calicut from Gudalur will go via Meppadi and Kalpetta (where they join the Mysore-Battery-Calicut road).

HVK sir,

Is it not that from Gudalur to Calicut via Bathery is going back and then driving forward? Kalpetta should be shorter.

Unless the road is so bad, that forces one to chose the Bathery route rather than directly going to Kalpetta?

Going to Calicut from Gudalur is shortest via Kalpetta, no need to go to Battery which, as ampere observes, is "triangulating" the drive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 1903236)
HVK sir,

Is it not that from Gudalur to Calicut via Bathery is going back and then driving forward? Kalpetta should be shorter.

Unless the road is so bad, that forces one to chose the Bathery route rather than directly going to Kalpetta?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvkumar (Post 1903242)
Going to Calicut from Gudalur is shortest via Kalpetta, no need to go to Battery which, as ampere observes, is "triangulating" the drive.

Exactly, this is what I even thought about.Thanks for clarifying.

So I think i will stick to Gudalur-Mepadi-Kalpetta-Kutta route. Does this road go via the Mukurthi WLS ? Can someone help me break down the Kalpetta to Gudalur route further into places and the road conditions ?

Your inputs so far have been really really helpful. Thanks again.

Gudalur-Nadugani 11 kms-DEvala 5-Pandalur 6-Cherambadi 13-Meppadi 25-Vythiri 10-Kalpetta 13

Mukurti is not in this area, that is off the Ooty-Gudalur road. You have to turn off after Pykara Dam and go to the left.

Shiva, Try visiting the Emerald and Avalanche lakes. They are worth a visit.
Was there last week and it was beautiful!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvkumar (Post 1903697)
Gudalur-Nadugani 11 kms-DEvala 5-Pandalur 6-Cherambadi 13-Meppadi 25-Vythiri 10-Kalpetta 13

Slight correction here. Vythiri doesn't fall on that route (It comes on the Meppadi Calicut route after it joins NH 212 at Chundale). Kalpetta is approximately 10-12 kms from Meppadi (You need to deviate from the Ooty-Calicut route and take a right turn towards Kalpetta at Meppadi)

Also, I think the Bathery route that HVK mentioned is actually shorter by at least 5 to 10 kms if you're travelling from Gudalur to Kutta. It is only if you're travelling to Calicut that the Bathery route becomes roundabout.

I travelled through some of those roads (Kalpetta to Mananthavady and Bathery to Mananthavady) a few days back, and both these roads are in pretty good shape. Not very sure about the condition of the Meppadi-Kalpetta road or Cherambadi-Bathery road since I haven't gone that way recently. They were OK when I went that way in December.

HVK sir..Thanks..I would appreciate if you can also help me with further breakdown of the Kalpetta-Kutta stretch and update on the latest road conditions through that stretch, would be appreciated.

you are right, Mukurthi is on the Ooty-Gudalur stretch that I presume can be covered during the Coonor-Gudalur ride.

Ampere. Will definitely consider ..Thanks !

Kala..Thanks..That's what even I thought, Kalpetta might be off track from the direction towards Kalpetta from Mepadi.

Between Gudalur-Battery-Kutta and Gudalur-Kalpetta-Kutta, which is more scenic and motorable ?

Kalpetta-Panamaram 18 kms-Mananthavady 17-Kartikulam 6-KL/KA Border 12-Kutta 12.

The roads between Kutta and the KL border are not in good condition.

I prefer the Gudalur-Kalpetta route via Meppadi - it has lots of tea estates, jungles and good views.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvkumar (Post 1904551)
The roads between Kutta and the KL border are not in good condition.

Did this route in first week of April. Its horrible road. May be even worse now after the rains. But once you cross this,the drive thru Nagerhole is good and scenic.

HVK. Point taken, Thanks for the pointers

Rajesh1868 : Yes even i have heard about this horrendous stretch, and as you said Nagarhole is a breeze !