Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Route query with a twist (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/81932-route-query-twist.html)

s3va 21st May 2010 14:33

Route query with a twist
 
We intend to set out on a road trip on our bikes with the following logic. I would appreciate pointers to finalize the route.

Total day ride : 3 days
Overnight stay : 2 nights
Target kms / day : 250-300 kms/day , max

The route should be circular starting from Bangalore covering hilly and forest regions around Karnataka and TamilNadu, major portion in TN as rains in KA might spoil our rides.

This is what I had in mind

Day 1 : BLR-Mettur-Sathy-Metupalaya-Coonoor(halt)
Day 2 : Coonoor- XYZ with target of 250 /300 kms
Day 3 : XYZ - BLR with target of 250 /300 kms at the max

Folks...please provide your inputs as quickly as possible, I appreciate it ! please:

ranjitp1 21st May 2010 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by s3va (Post 1897918)
We intend to set out on a road trip on our bikes with the following logic. I would appreciate pointers to finalize the route.

Total day ride : 3 days
Overnight stay : 2 nights
Target kms / day : 250-300 kms/day , max

The route should be circular starting from Bangalore covering hilly and forest regions around Karnataka and TamilNadu, major portion in TN as rains in KA might spoil our rides.

This is what I had in mind

Day 1 : BLR-Mettur-Sathy-Metupalaya-Coonoor(halt)
Day 2 : Coonoor- XYZ with target of 250 /300 kms
Day 3 : XYZ - BLR with target of 250 /300 kms at the max

Folks...please provide your inputs as quickly as possible, I appreciate it ! please:

Coonoor-Gudalur-Mepadi-Wayanad(Kalpetta)via the Mukurthi WLS

Kalpetta-Nagarhole(via Mananthavady)-Madikeri(COORG REGION)-BLR.

s3va 21st May 2010 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranjitp1 (Post 1897972)
Coonoor-Gudalur-Mepadi-Wayanad(Kalpetta)via the Mukurthi WLS

Kalpetta-Nagarhole(via Mananthavady)-Madikeri(COORG REGION)-BLR.

Ranjit, Thanks.

Per google Coonor-Kalpetta looks like 150 kms, which looks fine as per our target, though lesser.

But Kalpetta - Madikeri - BLR looks quite far, ie about 400 odd kms. Instead of going to Madikeri, from Kutta to Junsur should bring it down to 289 odd kms.

Pls confirm

ranjitp1 21st May 2010 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by s3va (Post 1897987)
Ranjit, Thanks.

Per google Coonor-Kalpetta looks like 150 kms, which looks fine as per our target, though lesser.

But Kalpetta - Madikeri - BLR looks quite far, ie about 400 odd kms. Instead of going to Madikeri, from Kutta to Junsur should bring it down to 289 odd kms.

Pls confirm

Yes,you could do that as well.Kutta-Nagarhole-Hunsur-BLR.

s3va 21st May 2010 16:27

how is the road condition from Coonor to Kutta through Kalpetta ? Basically the part from kalpetta to Kutta ?

hvkumar 21st May 2010 17:16

Tholpetty-Kutta road is supposed to be bad.

ampere 21st May 2010 18:36

How about Conoor-Gudalur-Nilambur-Bathery-Wayanad?
That should be good or is it the same route?

ranjitp1 21st May 2010 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 1898388)
How about Conoor-Gudalur-Nilambur-Bathery-Wayanad?
That should be good or is it the same route?

its more or less the same route,and plus its more a case of going down to nilambur and then coming up to batheri,-so imo waste of time n effort,that time could be used to go around kalpetta and see places like Thirunelly,edakkal caves,papanasini

ampere 21st May 2010 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranjitp1 (Post 1898505)
its more or less the same route,and plus its more a case of going down to nilambur and then coming up to batheri,-so imo waste of time n effort,that time could be used to go around kalpetta and see places like Thirunelly,edakkal caves,papanasini

I think I remember HVK sir mentioning that route being very scenic and good. Thats why I was suggesting that. Not sure of its status today. Never done that stretch.

s3va 23rd May 2010 19:14

Thanks HVK, Ampere and Ranjit.

Our only concerns is the stretch that HVK has referred to, I hope the condition is not too bad that we are going to have tough time navigating with our bullets. Latest update on the road conditions would be appreciated

Coonoor-Gudalur-Mepadi-Wayanad(Kalpetta)via the Mukurthi WLS

hvkumar 23rd May 2010 22:12

The route is actually Conoor-Gudalur-Meppadi-Kalpetta. Going down to Nilambur and climbing back to the hills does not make any sense. The Meppadi route is very scenic, goes via lots of tea and coffee estates and is normally good, although I have no current update. There is a chance that there is some bad section between Nadugani and KL border on the TN side.

Mukurthi WLS is not on this road but a detour after crossing Pykara between Ooty and Gudalur. In any case, there is a road till Mukurti Dam and another road for Mukurti WLS, but you have to walk the last 8 kms to Mukurti Peak.

ampere 24th May 2010 06:42

The other thing that you may want to look for is, the Glenmorgan power station and lake. You will need permission before hand for the power station I guess. This is also just around Pykara. The Pykara lake itself is not woth a visit (per my personal experience). Not much of water currently.

HVK, now that you mention, I did notice that route. While coming through Gudalur I saw Bathery marked 50 Km.

hvkumar 24th May 2010 07:05

ampere, at Gudalur town, you have several roads.
- Mysore, via Mudumalai & Bandipur
- Ooty, via Gudalur
- Sultan's Battery
- Meppadi & Nilambur (11 kms from Gudalur, the road branches off to these 2 places)

s3va 24th May 2010 11:33

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks a ton folks

From the various inputs collated the below plan remains tentative for now.
  • BLR-Kanakpura-Sathy-Metupalayam-Coonor : Halt at Coonor
  • Coonor-Ooty-gudalur-Kalpetta-Kutta : Halt at Kutta
  • Kutta-Hunsur-Mys-BLR
Now the route I have highlighted in the pic below, I would require your views on the road condition, scenic factors etc.

ranjitp1 24th May 2010 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by s3va (Post 1901522)
Thanks a ton folks

From the various inputs collated the below plan remains tentative for now.
  • BLR-Kanakpura-Sathy-Metupalayam-Coonor : Halt at Coonor
  • Coonor-Ooty-gudalur-Kalpetta-Kutta : Halt at Kutta
  • Kutta-Hunsur-Mys-BLR
Now the route I have highlighted in the pic below, I would require your views on the road condition, scenic factors etc.

Are you sure you want to stay in Kutta,afaik there are no hotels in Kutta.There were a couple of homestays(if they still exist),the popular one being Chilligere Estate.

The places you could cover from Kutta are:

Nagarhole,Tholpetty,Irupu Falls(Brahmagiri wls)-theres some story associated with it-ram thirtha/lakshman thirtha,Tirunelly Temple,Pookot Lake(arnd 80km)


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:35.