Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2013, 11:46   #181
BHPian

Re: Route query to Wayanad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Any particular reason that you are planing to take the HD Kote-Kabani- route? There is a stretch of around 14km which has been very bad since a couple of years. Another equally scenic option with better roads would be via Hunsur-Nagarhole-Kutta-Tholpetty.
@sandsun7 - i had done both the Bandipur and the Hunsur route earlier. I wanted to do something different and therefore thought that this would be a good option. The route starting from the forest reserve till about 5kms inside is bad, but motorable. Otherwise, the route is not bad at all. Travelogue will come up shortly. Overall was a good trip

For those interested - Vythri Village is brilliant property. The service is very good and one of the best i have got anywhere in Kerala. Highly recommended.

The Wayanad to Connoor route through Chundale is brilliant. There is a very nice area towards the Gudalur - Ooty stretch called Pine Hill view with some awesome pine trees making the area look like cedar wood park. Very beautiful i must say.
Old 30th December 2013, 16:38   #182
BHPian

An update on the route. Did this trip on 24-Dec-13 to wayanad. Started from Bangalore at around 9.30 AM from country club, Bannergetta road, so it was pretty easy to catch the Nice road and to mysore road (Kumbalgodu). Took a break for breakfast at Channapatna. Since I saw many reviews that there are not good restaurants till Chamrajnagara in NH209, I came to mysore highway and after channapatna took a left on to Malavalli after Maddur (SH33) and this connects to NH209 @ malavalli. The SH33 stretch was horrible, sometimes its potholes, sometimes there were uneven roads and unexpected speed breakers, so this stretch was a bit torturous which comes to about 25kms. After this the roads were great. Malavalli - Kollegal - Chamrajnagara - Gundulpet - Sulthan Bathery - Kalpetta. We saved the traffic time going via mysore due to this diversion and the total travel time was 7 hours including 2 hours break and a constant 40kmph in the forest route just to catch glimpses of animals if any. So I would definitely recommend the route that everyone had mentioned here. NH209 all throughout from bangalore if you do not need an immediate break for breakfast until chamrajnagara.
Old 3rd January 2014, 14:29   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
@sandsun7 - The route starting from the forest reserve till about 5kms inside is bad, but motorable. Otherwise, the route is not bad at all.
Were you not diverted through villages for around 14km or so - Dammanamkatta-Udbur IIRC ? That stretch was terrible earlier so is that repaired now? Or is the forest road open? The road through a core part of the reserve was to be permanently closed and traffic was diverted through the villages.
Old 27th January 2014, 12:31   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Were you not diverted through villages for around 14km or so - Dammanamkatta-Udbur IIRC ? That stretch was terrible earlier so is that repaired now? Or is the forest road open? The road through a core part of the reserve was to be permanently closed and traffic was diverted through the villages.
@Sandsun - sorry for the long delay in reply. But i was in an emergency and was travelling. To answer your question, yes i did pass through Udbur. However, post the gate which welcomed you to the forest reserve, the road did turn into a pathetic one. In fact a honda city scraped its bottom out on one of the so called speedbreakers and i did see some oil spill. I am not sure about the villages since whatever i saw was before the start of the forest reserve
Old 27th January 2014, 12:37   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
@Sandsun - sorry for the long delay in reply. But i was in an emergency and was travelling. To answer your question, yes i did pass through Udbur. However, post the gate which welcomed you to the forest reserve, the road did turn into a pathetic one. In fact a honda city scraped its bottom out on one of the so called speedbreakers and i did see some oil spill. I am not sure about the villages since whatever i saw was before the start of the forest reserve
No problem mate. I took that route on Jan 12th. The update is here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3345987
Old 17th April 2014, 03:08   #186
BHPian

Hi

I know some the questions below has been answered, still posting this to seek advice based on current conditions of roads.

Am planning a trip to Vythiri (Blue Ginger Resorts) this Saturday (19 Apr). After 3 days at the resort planning to drive to Vadakara on 22nd and then on to Irinjalakuda on 25th. While I have done the Bangalore – Vadakar trip many times (usually taking Bangalore, Hunsur Road, Nagarhole, Kutta route), I have never been to Vythiri. Looking for advice in best roads to take.

Ride is a 2009 Civic MT, and am travelling with better half and 2 kids. So do not want to be adventurous and want to stick to good roads. I will be travelling from Bellandur, and plan to start at 5.30 AM

Bangalore – Vythiri:
Is this the best option: Bangalore – Mandya – Srirangapatana – Mysore - Nanjangud-Gundulpet-Bandipur-Sulthan Bathery-Kalpetta-Vythiri.

If taking this route do I need to go through Mysore… (I always take the diversion at Ranganthittu and take the Hunsur road while driving direct to Vadakara). Any tips on how to avoid city traffic at Mysore?

Vythiri to Vadakara :

Never done this route
Is the better option via Thamrassery – Koyilandy – Payyoli; or is there a better route?

Vadakara – Irinjalakuada:

I have done this only a couple of times and I think have not taken the best route. I have used Vadakara – Kozhikode – Pattamby – Thrissur – Irinjalakuda .. which gets me into bad traffic at Thrissur.
Please can anyone suggest a better option?
Is this a better option:
Vadakara – Kozhikode – Kottakkal – Tirur – Ponnani – Guruvayoor – Thrippayar – Irinjalakuda?

Thank you in advance for any tips

Ajith
Old 17th April 2014, 07:32   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajith-s View Post
Hi
Vythiri to Vadakara :

Never done this route
Is the better option via Thamrassery – Koyilandy – Payyoli; or is there a better route?

I have done this only a couple of times and I think have not taken the best route. I have used Vadakara – Kozhikode – Pattamby – Thrissur – Irinjalakuda .. which gets me into bad traffic at Thrissur.
Is this a better option:
Vadakara – Kozhikode – Kottakkal – Tirur – Ponnani – Guruvayoor – Thrippayar – Irinjalakuda?

Ajith
Thamarassery-Balussery-Koyilandy-Payyoli-Vadakara has been in good nick the last time I travelled to the area. Seems to be the best option for you.

To go to Irinjalakuda, a better option would be as below.

Vadakara-Kozhikode-Chelari-Parappanangadi-Tanur-Tirur-Chamravattom- Ponnani-Chavakkad-Thripprayar-Irinjalakkuda.

Taking a turn at Chelari is a better option to go to Tirur than sticking to the Kottakkal route. Please also note that roads after Chavakkad are mostly patched(2 months old info) and may not be very smooth. However, the road is free of potholes whatsoever.

Happy Driving !!
Mistakenguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 07:33   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi

I know some the questions below has been answered, still posting this to seek advice based on current conditions of roads.

Am planning a trip to Vythiri (Blue Ginger Resorts) this Saturday (19 Apr). After 3 days at the resort planning to drive to Vadakara on 22nd and then on to Irinjalakuda on 25th. While I have done the Bangalore – Vadakar trip many times (usually taking Bangalore, Hunsur Road, Nagarhole, Kutta route), I have never been to Vythiri. Looking for advice in best roads to take.

Ride is a 2009 Civic MT, and am travelling with better half and 2 kids. So do not want to be adventurous and want to stick to good roads. I will be travelling from Bellandur, and plan to start at 5.30 AM

Bangalore – Vythiri:
Is this the best option: Bangalore – Mandya – Srirangapatana – Mysore - Nanjangud-Gundulpet-Bandipur-Sulthan Bathery-Kalpetta-Vythiri.

If taking this route do I need to go through Mysore… (I always take the diversion at Ranganthittu and take the Hunsur road while driving direct to Vadakara). Any tips on how to avoid city traffic at Mysore?
Yes, this is the default route to take. Regulars towards Wayanad/Calicut (including me) also take Bangalore-Kanakpura-Kollegal-CHamrajnagar-Gundlepet-Bathery route. Key advantage is less traffic, Bypass Mysore, no road humps and more scenic. But for a 5am start with family, I would recommend sticking to the Mysore Route. I also typically start from Belandur (to Calicut) around 4.30-5am. You can reach Gundlepet by 8-8.30am. There is a Cafe Coffee Day 3-4 km before Gundlepet where I typically stop. Decent rest rooms and some breakfast options are available. From there Vythiri should be around 2-2.5 hrs max. Roads are great throughout. Just be aware that in the forest section there are humps every few 100mtrs.

You do need to go through Mysore. Since you will pass Mysore by around 7.30, You can go through the City itself. The way I follow to get through Mysore is this.
  • After Columbia Asia Signal (which is the Ring Road Junction) keep going straight. There will be a couple of roundabouts, but keep going straight past those.
  • You will then reach a T junction in front of an arch. Take a right, and then first left. This will take you past the KSRTC stand
  • Past that the road curves left, follow that and then take the first major right.
  • You will pass the palace on your right and after that you take the first left which will put you on the Nanjangud-Gundlepet Road.

Quote:
Vythiri to Vadakara :

Never done this route
Not an expert here. But I think there is a better route. I think bhpians sandsun/kala etc... can provide inputs here.

Quote:

Is this a better option:

Ajith
You definitely do not need to go via pattambi. One option is
Vadakara-Calicut-Chelari-Kotakkal-Vlanchery-Kuttipuram-Edappal-Kunnamkulam(I think there is a diversion before Kunnamkulam that takes you to Kecheri)-Thrissur Irinjalakuda (Or maybe Kunnamkulam-CHavakkad-Triprayar-Irinjalakuda)

The other option is Vadakara-Calicut-Chelari-Parappangadi-Tirur-Ponnani-Chavakkad-Triprayar-Irinjalakuda

Both routes will probably take the same time. Roads are great on both routes. The 1st route has slightly wider roads but higher bus and lorry traffic. The 2nd route is narrower between Chelari and Ponnani, but lesser bus and lorry traffic.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 08:57   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi

Bangalore – Vythiri:
Best route in terms of road condition as of today! Excellent roads throughout.

Quote:
you could also try Mysore ring road
>take left at Columbia Asia Hospital junction
>keep going for 8km or so on the 6 lane road till you reach a dead end, take right there.
>Keep going until you find a maruthi service centre to your left and Cauvery Fortis hospital to your right. Take the road which goes to your left after the hospital (clearly marked 'ooty')
> Keep going for around 500metres till you see a small roundabout and a road which goes to right, near a ground. Again well marked with 'ooty/Calicut'.
>after this right, keep going straight and you would pass Police camp, race course, couple of arches etc. Finally at a point, the road forks into two, with MALL OF MYSORE at the centre of the fork. Take the left branch of the fork
> keep going for another 1 km or so, you will meet the Mysore-Gundlupet road, take left to proceed to Gundlupet
Gmaps link here:http://goo.gl/4PfEan

Quote:
V ythiri to Vadakara :

Never done this route
Thamarassery-Koyilandy is a good option. You can also consider Vythiri-Pozhuthana-Padinjharethara-Tharuvana-Korome-Pakranthalam churam-Kuttyadi-Vadakara.
Roads are good and scenic.

Quote:

Is this a better option:
you would still encounter heavy traffic on Edarikod-Tirur-Guruvayoor stretch. Roads are excellent now. As RajeevRaj suggested, could also go via Chelari-Chettipadi-Parappanangadi-Tanur-Tirur

Ajith[/quote]

Last edited by sandsun7 : 17th April 2014 at 08:58.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 15:06   #190
BHPian

Thank you Mistakenguy, Rajeevraj, sandsun7. Very useful inputs.

This is one of the many reasons why TBHP rocks!..
Old 17th April 2014, 15:11   #191
BHPian

Quote:

Bangalore – Vythiri:

Ajith
I would suggest Bangalore - Kanakpura - Chamrajnagar - Gundulpet route to avoid traffic in Mysore road and Mysore city. Its shorter and scenic too.

Last edited by ankan.m.blr : 17th April 2014 at 15:12.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 16:29   #192
BHPian

I had one more query .....

When at Kalpetta, do i take the Kalpetta "bypass", after the Kainatty junction
Old 17th April 2014, 16:58   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I had one more query .....

When at Kalpetta, do i take the Kalpetta "bypass", after the Kainatty junction
Yes. It is good to take the byepass considering you will be hitting kalpetta at a peak time. It is a nice road and will help avoid the congestion in the town.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 17:00   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Yes. It is good to take the byepass considering you will be hitting kalpetta at a peak time. It is a nice road and will help avoid the congestion in the town.
Thank you Rajeevraj - that was a super quick response!
Old 25th June 2014, 15:11   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
I would suggest Bangalore - Kanakpura - Chamrajnagar - Gundulpet route to avoid traffic in Mysore road and Mysore city. Its shorter and scenic too.

How is the condition of this road? Is it good as the blr-Mys-bathery route?
I will be travelling in a bike. Do you recommend this route?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks