Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2014, 15:46   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Route query to Wayanad

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhiraj View Post
How is the condition of this road? Is it good as the blr-Mys-bathery route?
I will be travelling in a bike. Do you recommend this route?
Condition is excellent. Traffic is less and almost no humps. Ch.Nagar-Gundlepet is slightly patchy in some sections. Only points to note are that it is a 2 lane road all through and not many good restaurants/restroom stops.

I enjoy this route in a car, should be better on a bike.
Old 25th June 2014, 16:23   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhiraj View Post
How is the condition of this road? Is it good as the blr-Mys-bathery route?
I will be travelling in a bike. Do you recommend this route?
It all depends on what your start time from Bangalore. I would not suggest this route if you are riding in evening or night time. If you are riding in daytime, this route is perfect. Almost no speed breaker and more scenic than SH-17 (Blr - Mys). NH-209 is narrow while passing through villages after Kollegal but for bike its not a problem. Chamrajnagar - Gundulpet is somewhat patchy/ uneven but not a problem for bike. From Gundulpet its the usual route.
Old 25th June 2014, 23:55   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
It all depends on what your start time from Bangalore. I would not suggest this route if you are riding in evening or night time.
Don't think there should be any problem in taking this route in evenings till about 10 / 11 PM. Even after that there are no real safety issues, but it's only that you may find the road to be somewhat deserted at late hours - so in case of a breakdown etc it may be a little more difficult to get assistance.

In fact I generally recommend this route very highly to travellers returning from Ooty or Wayanad on Sunday evenings because when you compare it to the absolute chaos on SH17 during that time period, the drive on NH209 is absolute bliss.
Old 26th June 2014, 18:59   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Don't think there should be any problem in taking this route in evenings till about 10 / 11 PM. Even after that there are no real safety issues, but it's only that you may find the road to be somewhat deserted at late hours - so in case of a breakdown etc it may be a little more difficult to get assistance.

In fact I generally recommend this route very highly to travellers returning from Ooty or Wayanad on Sunday evenings because when you compare it to the absolute chaos on SH17 during that time period, the drive on NH209 is absolute bliss.
The last time I took this road in the evening, I was blinded by high beams of trucks and buses from opposite side. The road is very curvy and I had to concentrate very hard to avoid high beam and look for the turns. But you are right, this is a better option for people coming to Bangalore from Mysore on a Sunday afternoon.
Old 24th September 2014, 17:59   #200
Senior - BHPian

What would be the recommended road to reach Mananthavady from Bangalore?
Old 24th September 2014, 20:58   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
My selection will be this route .

Else for slightly better road side options you can opt Gundelpet - Sulthan Batherry route.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 23:58   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
The route via HD Kote / Bavali would probably be the best to get to Mananthavady. See http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3519987

Note that this road is closed at night between 6PM and 6 AM. The NH212 which is another good option is open till 9PM. If taking that route, remember not to take the short cuts to Mananthavady from near Sulthan batheri (Beenachi) or Meenangady. Those roads are in pretty bad shape and it's best to go further and take the Kalpetta Mananthavady road from Kainatty (about 2 kms before Kalpetta)
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 19:36   #203
BHPian

Hi

I will be starting for wayanad tonight from chennai

Please suggest whether the below mentioned route would be suitable or not?

Chennai-Ulundurpet-Salem-Bhavani-chamarajanagar-Gundlupet-Kalpetta.

Secondly, please suggest some refreshment joints on this way.
Old 29th September 2014, 22:39   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushpender_s View Post
Hi

I will be starting for wayanad tonight from chennai

Please suggest whether the below mentioned route would be suitable or not?

Chennai-Ulundurpet-Salem-Bhavani-chamarajanagar-Gundlupet-Kalpetta.

Secondly, please suggest some refreshment joints on this way.
Not sure if this response is too late or not - but just in case you're reading this, please note that the forest stretch between Gundlupet and Sulthan Bathery is closed between 9PM and 6AM, so please plan your halts in such a way that you don't get to the forest check post (about 15 kms after from Gundlupet) before 6AM or else you'll have to wait outside till they open the gates at 6.

Sorry - cant help you about refreshment joints between Chennai and Sathy, but from there on, you have Nijaguna Residency in Chamarajnagar, CCD / Misty Rock in Gundlupet and then several restaurants in Sulthan bathery and further on.
Old 30th September 2014, 21:57   #205
BHPian

Thanks for the response.

I read your post before starting.

Started @ 12:40 AM and reached kalpetta @ 12PM with a 1.5 hr sleeping break after Salem.

Had to struggle a bit in sathyamangalam as mobile battery exhausted after using GPS continuosly.

The roads are awesome in whole stretch except for the stretch between chamarajanagar & gundlupet.

2nd Oct mong, i will be leaving for munnar from here.

Any suggestions on the routes will be heartily welcome.
Old 30th September 2014, 22:39   #206
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think one option is to take this route:
Kalpetta-Vythiri-Calicut bypass-Kottakkal-Kunnamkulam-Thrissur-Chalakudy-Angamaly-Kothamangalam-Adimali-Munnar
Old 30th September 2014, 22:54   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the response.

I read your post before starting.

Started @ 12:40 AM and reached kalpetta @ 12PM with a 1.5 hr sleeping break after Salem.

Had to struggle a bit in sathyamangalam as mobile battery exhausted after using GPS continuosly.

The roads are awesome in whole stretch except for the stretch between chamarajanagar & gundlupet.

2nd Oct mong, i will be leaving for munnar from here.

Kalpetta-Kozhikode-Thrissur-Chalakudi-Angamali-Perumbavoor-Adimali-Munnar.

If you want to explore another option,then Kalpetta-Nilambur-Pandikkad-Perinthalmanna-Mannarkad-Palakkad-Kanjikode-Elappully-Kozinjampara-Pollachi-Udumulpet-Chinnar-Munnar.
Old 1st October 2014, 12:47   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post

If you want to explore another option,then Kalpetta-Nilambur-Pandikkad-Perinthalmanna-Mannarkad-Palakkad-Kanjikode-Elappully-Kozinjampara-Pollachi-Udumulpet-Chinnar-Munnar.
Vow, that's quite a circuitous route! Scenic and has less traffic, though. A small correction. No need to go all the way to Perinthalmanna

At Pandikkad junction, take left for Pandikkad-Melattur-Alanallur-Kumaranputhur (Join NH here)-Mannarkad.
Old 1st October 2014, 18:38   #209
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to travel to Tirunelli. I heard my usual route of Hunsur - Nagerhole is not in great shape and people recommended HD Kote road. During my last trip to JLR, major repair work was happening on the detour road through the village , it will be helpful to know if this road is completely repaired till where it connects back to the main road.
Old 2nd October 2014, 08:31   #210
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
I am planning to travel to Tirunelli. I heard my usual route of Hunsur - Nagerhole is not in great shape and people recommended HD Kote road. During my last trip to JLR, major repair work was happening on the detour road through the village , it will be helpful to know if this road is completely repaired till where it connects back to the main road.
Check this out - I think it's the latest report of road conditions for this stretch - here
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks