Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2015, 14:26   #226
BHPian

Re: Route query to Wayanad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Taxi should be easily available, but I assume you will need to pay the return fare and hence will be expensive.

Other option (assuming he gets out by 9am) is to take taxi to Thrissur Railway Station and catch the Jan Shatabdi to Calicut (needs reservation). Catch is that the train is scheduled at 10.30 am and I think Kochi airport to Thrissur Station will take 1hr -1hr15 min. So it will be touch and go. From Calicut take a bus again to Kalpetta.

Easiest option is to take taxi to Thrissur and take a pvt bus (there will be one every 15-30 min) or a KSRTC bus to Calicut and then another bus to Kalpettta

Also see that there is a Air india Express flight from Kochi to Calicut at 10am (Was this the one that was cancelled?)
Thank you for the inputs. Re. Air India express, that flight is also not scheduled on the date of travel.

Just a question, if going to Kozhikode, then why not take the train or bus from Aluva itself rather than Thrissur?
Old 9th September 2015, 14:28   #227
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
Just a question, if going to Kozhikode, then why not take the train or bus from Aluva itself rather than Thrissur?
Yes, Aluva is better.When I initially posted I had thought that Jan Shatabdi does not have a stop at Aluva.
Old 9th September 2015, 20:43   #228
Senior - BHPian

Be warned, do not dare to enter into Parasuram express without reserved seats. That train like most others on the route is heavily crowded most days. And for Janshatabdi, you need a reservation anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
From Kalpetta the distance to Pozhuthana should only be around 70 kms - so may be he could take a taxi. Buses generally take around 2 hours+ to Vythiri (the nearest point to deviate towards Pozhuthana)
I guess you meant Kozhikode to Pozhuthana, 70kms, Sir?
Plenty of KSRTC Town to town services are available from Kozhikode Moffusil bus stand towards Kalpetta/Vythiri. You may find the occasional volvo 'low floor' service too if lucky. You could take a rickshaw from railway station to 'new bus stand' (puthiya stand).
Old 7th December 2015, 12:30   #229
BHPian

Dear Friends,

I'm starting from Trivandrum to Ooty later this month..which would be the best route to pick?

Also please suggest the best route to take from Ooty to Wayanad and later from Wayanad to Kochi....
Old 7th December 2015, 19:00   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Plenty of KSRTC Town to town services are available from Kozhikode Moffusil bus stand towards Kalpetta/Vythiri. You may find the occasional volvo 'low floor' service too if lucky. You could take a rickshaw from railway station to 'new bus stand' (puthiya stand).
Is it easy to get a taxi from Kozhikode airport to Vythiri? Will they be readily available at the airport and what are the approx charges? A hatchback (Indica or similar) should do as there are only 2 passengers.
Old 7th December 2015, 19:26   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyman_46 View Post
Dear Friends,

I'm starting from Trivandrum to Ooty later this month..which would be the best route to pick?

Also please suggest the best route to take from Ooty to Wayanad and later from Wayanad to Kochi....
I guess the best route would be Trivandrum - Cochin - Coimbatore byepass - Annur - Metupalayam - Ooty. This will help you avoiding Coimbatore city traffic.

For Ooty Wayanad you can take Ooty Gudalur - Batherry route. However, roads are patchy before Gudallur.

From Wayanad its best to take Vythiri - Calicut byepass - Kochin route. However, time it so as to avoid peak traffic.

Quote:
Is it easy to get a taxi from Kozhikode airport to Vythiri? Will they be readily available at the airport and what are the approx charges? A hatchback (Indica or similar) should do as there are only 2 passengers.
It is not difficult in getting taxis from airport, there is a prepaid counter and you can check the rates there. However, I don't recollect seeing Vythiri in the list hence not sure about the rates.

If you don't have much luggage the best option would be to get airport shuttle Volvo to city and then get on any KSRTC bus which goes to Vythiri/ Mananthavady/ Batherry / Mysore / Bangalore.

It will take around 1.5 hours to Calicut from airport and another 1 hour 45 mins to Vythiri from there.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 19:48   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
If you don't have much luggage the best option would be to get airport shuttle Volvo to city and then get on any KSRTC bus which goes to Vythiri/ Mananthavady/ Batherry / Mysore / Bangalore.
Taxis are easily available. Last June I paid ~1200 for a 35 km distance. Vythiri is approximately 90 km from the Airport. So expect a charge of at least 3500-4000. Also, most of the Airport Taxis are Ambassadors and they go in a sequence. So not sure if you can be guaranteed to get an Indica. Cannot expect any other vehicle (say an Etios or a Fiesta).

Suhas, there is only one Airport to City Volvo and that also is very erratic and when I went in June, the cab driver told me it is no longer running due to poor patronage. Not sure if they have restarted with the new KURM Low Floor Services.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 21:00   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Taxis are easily available. Last June I paid ~1200 for a 35 km distance. Vythiri is approximately 90 km from the Airport. So expect a charge of at least 3500-4000.
Whoa, I dont think the cost will be this high. Should definitely be below 2k. I have a driver whom I call frequently to drive my Jeep. Give me some time, i'll quote the prices from Major towns in Wayanad to the Airport/Railway station in Calicut.
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 22:09   #234
BHPian

Thanks Mpksuhas for the quick reply.

Which route would be scenic to travel while going Ooty to Wayanad and then from Vythiri to Kochi? Also preferring a route which has less damaged roads.
Old 10th December 2015, 08:27   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
.. i'll quote the prices from Major towns in Wayanad to the Airport/Railway station in Calicut.
The cost of a Tavera is 24rs/km. So, from Calicut Airport it will work out to around 3000/-. Railway station would be 2500 till Sulthan Bathery.

Till Vythiti, it should be 1800-2000.

Swift Dezire, Logan and Etios will be cheaper than this. IIRC runs at ~20rs/km.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 09:40   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
The cost of a Tavera is 24rs/km. So, from Calicut Airport it will work out to around 3000/-. Railway station would be 2500 till Sulthan Bathery.

Till Vythiti, it should be 1800-2000.

Swift Dezire, Logan and Etios will be cheaper than this. IIRC runs at ~20rs/km.
Thank you, this is helpful. If there is a rental agency or driver contact that you could send me on PM, it would be much appreciated. Otherwise, I will try to make a few calls.
Old 11th December 2015, 09:52   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you, this is helpful. If there is a rental agency or driver contact that you could send me on PM, it would be much appreciated. Otherwise, I will try to make a few calls.
Sure, you can call Sumesh: 099612400227 . He drives a Tavera. You can tell my name, before you negotiate.

If that doesn't work out, PM me, I'll give you other good contacts.

I have a reliable and good driver. So, if you are open to rentals, you can use his services. Let me know.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 20:47   #238
BHPian

Guys,

Need help with a route query. We are traveling on the Christmas weekend - BLR to Wayanad (Suvistara Resorts) via Mysore. With 2 kids in tow, we avoid a direct drive and plan to break in Mysore on both journeys.

Did a quick google search and it shows 2 routes from Mysore

1. Mysore - Hunsur - Kutta - Payampalli - Resort.
2. Mysore - Nanjangud - Gundlupete - Sultan Bathery - Resort

Distance-wise both are more-or-less similar, but would prefer to decide based on road conditions (specially with the 2 kids). Driving an Innova.

Please advise on road conditions and approximate time from Mysore to Wayanad.
Old 18th December 2015, 21:23   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post

1. Mysore - Hunsur - Kutta - Payampalli - Resort.
2. Mysore - Nanjangud - Gundlupete - Sultan Bathery - Resort

Please advise on road conditions and approximate time from Mysore to Wayanad.
The resort location seems to be closer to Sultan Bathery. So would recommend option 2. There is road work happening for the initial 20 km (Between Mysore and Nanjangud), but should not be too much of a bother. Excellent roads post that. Overall should take you between ~3 hours from Mysore to the Resort. Gundlepet has a few places where you can stop for rest room/snack breaks if needed.

Be wary of the humps in the Bandipur Forest.
Old 18th December 2015, 22:21   #240
BHPian

Dear Friends,

I am traveling from Vythiri(Wayanad) to Kochi. Which is the best possible route to take?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks