Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2016, 22:07   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Route query to Wayanad

ansumaan, Hotel Wilton in Bathery will be a very good option for Non-Veg food.
Old 24th March 2016, 07:11   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Bangalore - NICE Road - Kanakapura - Malavalli - Kollegal - Chamrajnagar - Gundlupet - Sultan Bathery - Vythiri if you want to avoid the traffic on Mysore - Bangalore Highway. Good roads throughout. But limited number of good eateries enroute (Sangam Paradise in Kanakapura and Nijaguna Residency in Chamrajnagar)
Hi,

Does it take longer. This alternate route you detailed, does it take longer than usual Bangalore - Mysore route? Can we drive after light fails?

I am planning to drive from Hyderabad, starting after lunch time. So it may be late for me. Please advise
Old 24th March 2016, 09:04   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncNest View Post
Hi,

Does it take longer. This alternate route you detailed, does it take longer than usual Bangalore - Mysore route? Can we drive after light fails?

I am planning to drive from Hyderabad, starting after lunch time. So it may be late for me. Please advise
Nope. Due to less traffic, this route is faster. However, the issue is lack of eateries and in the unfortunate event of a mishap roadside assistance.

After night fall, the whole section is pretty deserted, I wouldnt advise if you are driving with family.
Old 24th March 2016, 13:31   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncNest View Post

If you're starting from Hyderabad after lunch and planning to drive non-stop, try to time your drive in such a way that you don't cross Bangalore before say 2:30 AM or so. The forest road between Gundlupet and Wayanad is closed for traffic between 9PM and 6AM and you might end up having to wait in a longish queue outside the Forest entry gate till 6AM if you reach there earlier than that (At that time of the day, it shouldn't take you more than 3.5 hours between Bangalore and Gundlupet)
Old 4th April 2016, 11:24   #260
BHPian

I'm planning a trip to a resort near Meppadi (Chateau Woods). I've been here before and last time went via Bangalore - Mysore - Nanjangud - Gundlupet - Sulthan Bathery. Is there a more scenic option than this? Whats the general opinion? Also, is it better to go via Bangalore-Mysore highway (NH212) or Kanakapura road (NH209) via Malavalli?
Old 4th April 2016, 13:23   #261
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
Is there a more scenic option than this? Whats the general opinion? Also, is it better to go via Bangalore-Mysore highway (NH212) or Kanakapura road (NH209) via Malavalli?
There is road widening work in progress between Mysore-Nanjangud about 18-20Km. If you start by 5am from Bangalore, it may not be so much of pain and this way you also get to beat Mysore road traffic to a good extent.
Alternate route via Kanakapura-Malavalli should also be fine, you can go via Chamrajanagar and then reach Gundlupet and from there take the Sulthan Bathery route as usual. You can stop at Nijaguna Residency in Chamarajanagar.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 12:58   #262
BHPian

Fellow Travelers!

What is the best route to Wayanad from Chennai?
Google maps seems to suggest taking the Bangalore highway going past Bangalore, then past Mysore, and then onto Wayanad. Is that the best way?

The requirements of our travel route are simple. Roads should be tarred, divider-ed, preferably 4 laned.
Also, what is the best time to visit Wayanad? Any good places to stay at? Preferably 3-4 star properties?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks & Cheers!
Old 6th June 2016, 13:14   #263
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
What is the best route to Wayanad from Chennai?
Google maps seems to suggest taking the Bangalore highway going past Bangalore, then past Mysore, and then onto Wayanad. Is that the best way?

The requirements of our travel route are simple. Roads should be tarred, divider-ed, preferably 4 laned.
Also, what is the best time to visit Wayanad? Any good places to stay at? Preferably 3-4 star properties?
Wayanad is not a town/city, it's a district and quite big at that. Where in Wayanad do you intend to visit/stay ?
Since you're traveling from Chennai, Via Mysore or Gundlupet are the options and Bangalore city can be bypassed.
No 4 laned/divided roads to Wayanad beyond Mysore, remember the route goes via the forests bordering Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Kerala

Lots of good places to stay and visit in the Wayanad district - Sulthan Bathery, Kalpetta, Vythiri, Mananthavady, Kuruvadeep island, Thirunelly are some of the popular places.

Last edited by NPV : 6th June 2016 at 13:16.
Old 7th August 2016, 08:51   #264
BHPian

Folks,

Planning a drive to Banasura hill resort in Wayanad next Friday. Given that it's a long weekend, I guess one should expect a lot of traffic. I notice most of the route experts here have advised taking the Nanjanagudu> Gundulpet> Sultan Battery> Kalpetta route (642 km) / NH 948. However, google maps is suggesting the route via hunsur / NH 275/Nice Road which is 620 km. Are the recommendations on Team BHP based on traffic congestion on the Nice road?

My plan is to leave Chennai on 11th late evening by 7.30 - 8.00 pm, take a pit stop for the night in electronics city, and leave to Wayanad 12th early morning from electronics city.

Apologies if this a question that has been asked a million times before, is still better to take the route via Gundulpet or the hunsur one?

[ATTACH]Route query to Wayanad-screen-shot-20160807-8.47.54-am.png[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Route query to Wayanad-screen-shot-20160807-8.31.14-am.png  

Last edited by StudioAbraham : 7th August 2016 at 08:53.
Old 7th August 2016, 09:09   #265
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioAbraham View Post
Are the recommendations on Team BHP based on traffic congestion on the Nice road?
Congestion on NICE road shouldn't be a factor in your routing, as it's only a short stretch from Hosur Road to either Kanakapura Road or Mysore Road exit in your case and will help you bypass Bangalore city traffic.
If you're doing a night drive, the Gundlupet road will close by 9pm, so that's not an option.
If I remember correctly, the Mananthavady route does not close at 9pm (others please correct me if this has now changed!) and can be taken.

On the Mysore-Nanjangud stretch there is still some road widening work in progress but should be manageable if its an early morning drive.

Since you plan to start late from Chennai, suggest you plan an overnight stay at Msyore and proceed to Banasura in the morning. From Mysore you can take either the Gundlupet-Bathery-Kalpetta route or Mananthavady-Kalpetta route too
*Mananthavady road can be accessed from the turn off on the Nanjangud road after you pass the Mysore Palace & Kamat Madhavan hotel.
Old 7th August 2016, 11:35   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioAbraham View Post
My plan is to leave Chennai on 11th late evening by 7.30 - 8.00 pm, take a pit stop for the night in electronics city, and leave to Wayanad 12th early morning from electronics city.

Apologies if this a question that has been asked a million times before, is still better to take the route via Gundulpet or the hunsur one?
Banasura Hill Resort is closer to Mananthavady - so I would suggest taking the Kabini route from Mysore. That way you avoid the bad sections between Mysore and Nanjangud as well.

If you want to avoid the Bangalore-Mysore road traffic, you could go via Kanakapura-Malavalli-Bannur to Mysore. But even that route has 2-3 kms of bad roads around Bannur town. Also options available for breakfast would be minimal on that route.

Remember to plan for breakfast either on the Bangalore-Mysore sector itself if taking SH17 (or rather NH275 as it is called now) or at Mysore. There are no facilities anywhere along the way on the Kabini route after you leave Mysore till you reach Kattikkulam in Kerala which would be about 2-2.5 hours from Mysore.

Route map attached - The alternate route shown in Grey by Google Maps is the one via Malavalli-Bannur.
Attached Images

kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 17:04   #267
BHPian

Folks, I am planning a trip to Wayanad from Chennai. The dates have not been finalised yet! I have decided to stay in Pepper Green Village which is near to Kuruva Dweep. I stay in OMR, which is South Chennai, and I am currently thinking of the following two route options.

Route Option 1 - OMR (South Chennai) - Sriperumbudur - Krishnagiri - Electronics City - Kanakapura - Mallevalli - Kollegal - Chamrajnagar - Gundlupet - Sulthan Bathery - Pepper Green

I am not considering the traditional Bangalore - Mysore route as looking at the forum it looks like the route is heavily congested. I want to have a peaceful drive!

Route Option 2 - OMR (South Chennai) - Ulundurpet (via GST) - Kallakurichi - Salem - Bhavani - Sathyamangalam - Chamrajnagar - Gundlupet - Sulthan Bathery - Pepper Green

I prefer option 2 as I think it will have less traffic compared to the Bangalore route.I know the conditions are good till Salem but any idea between Salem and Chamrajnagar and beyond that?

Both the routes come to roughly the same distance of 640kms. If I take route 1 then I will be staying overnight somewhere close to Electronics city. If I take option 2 then I will prefer to have an overnight break at Salem.

Last edited by searacer932 : 9th August 2016 at 17:06.
Old 9th August 2016, 19:20   #268
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Both the routes come to roughly the same distance of 640kms. If I take route 1 then I will be staying overnight somewhere close to Electronics city. If I take option 2 then I will prefer to have an overnight break at Salem.
If you take Route 1, bypass Bangalore by taking the NICE Road to Kanakapura Road.

If you take Route 2, take the Gobichettipalayam route from Chithode (the exit is muddy to get to the SH 15 Erode-Gobi road but the SH 15 itself is fine).
Only chance you will be taking is with Dimbham ghats when crossing from TN to KA side since sometimes when a truck gets stuck it blocks traffic for some time, but these are not regular I guess, so depends on your luck.

The other route is to do Salem-Omalur-Mecheri-Mettur-Ammapettai-Sathyamangalam and distance wise quite comparable with the Gobi route but again you will need to drive via Dimbham, so no real advantage.

If you aren't very familiar with Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamarajanagar route you may want to take Salem-Gobi route.

Last edited by NPV : 9th August 2016 at 19:21.
Old 9th August 2016, 19:57   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
If you take Route 1, bypass Bangalore by taking the NICE Road to Kanakapura Road.

If you take Route 2, take the Gobichettipalayam route from Chithode (the exit is muddy to get to the SH 15 Erode-Gobi road but the SH 15 itself is fine).
Only chance you will be taking is with Dimbham ghats when crossing from TN to KA side since sometimes when a truck gets stuck it blocks traffic for some time, but these are not regular I guess, so depends on your luck.
Okay,will take the Bhavani - Satyamangalam route. Any idea on the food options beyond Bhavani? I have noted Nijaguna in Chamrajnagar and Gundlupet and also CCD in Gundlupet.
Old 9th August 2016, 21:05   #270
Senior - BHPian

Has anybody recently travelled from Bangalore to Calicut via Wayanad? How are the road conditions, considering the rainy season?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks