Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2011, 17:32   #136
BHPian

Re: Lahaul - Spiti; Suggestions and help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I took the 2nd road around 3 months back when going to Chitkul. This is one of the finest roads in Himachal however its a little narrow with loads n loads of blind turns so one has to be extra cautious when on this stretch. This time I'm thinking that I'd go via Shimla-Narkanda road only.
Between Narkanda and Rampur there are two other options:
a) Narkanda-Thanedar-Bithal-Rampur-Sarahan
b)Narkanda-Baggi-Khadrala-Sungri-Taklech-Dharanghati-Mashnoo-Sarahan

Route B is supposed to be very scenic. Somebody rated it as one of the best vistas in entire kinnaur and Spiti. Howerver rough road between Baggi-Sungri and Dharanghati-Mashnoo. zero traffic in the route. If you have can do this, I think you will love it.
Old 7th July 2011, 21:30   #137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinesha View Post
Between Narkanda and Rampur there are two other options:
a) Narkanda-Thanedar-Bithal-Rampur-Sarahan
b)Narkanda-Baggi-Khadrala-Sungri-Taklech-Dharanghati-Mashnoo-Sarahan

Route B is supposed to be very scenic. Somebody rated it as one of the best vistas in entire kinnaur and Spiti. Howerver rough road between Baggi-Sungri and Dharanghati-Mashnoo. zero traffic in the route. If you have can do this, I think you will love it.
Dinesha, the Taklech route is not a route, its a dirt track, with roads which make you weep. Full of mud, esp since the monsoon is in full swing.
Old 7th July 2011, 22:03   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Dinesha, the Taklech route is not a route, its a dirt track, with roads which make you weep. Full of mud, esp since the monsoon is in full swing.
Tanveer.

I think between "Dharanghati-Mashnoo" it is dirt track. I have not been to that route. Is it doable in Verna before monsoons between May and mid-June? I wanted to do this route next year along wth Shipki La, Ropa and onward to Kaza-Batal-Manali?

PS: I am not able to post using Internet Explorer-9. I get the error "1.The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 20 characters." Can somebody help? I have to use Google Chrome for posting.
Old 8th July 2011, 00:01   #139
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

PS: I am not able to post using Internet Explorer-9. I get the error "1.The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 20 characters." Can somebody help? I have to use Google Chrome for posting.
Please refer to the forum rules.

Quote:
5. Spamming is considered as a very serious offense on Team-BHP. It includes one-line replies which have no relevance or do not contribute to the thread in any way. Also, the minimum character limit for posts is currently set at 20. Any attempts to bypass this limit will be counted as spam.
Old 8th July 2011, 08:54   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Please refer to the forum rules.

Spamming is considered as a very serious offense on Team-BHP. It includes one-line replies which have no relevance or do not contribute to the thread in any way. Also, the minimum character limit for posts is currently set at 20. Any attempts to bypass this limit will be counted as spam.
Eddy,
I am getting the above error for every post I tried using IE-9. Some of the post were quite long with around 5000 characters. None of my post are 20 Character long. It works find when I use Google browser. I have also reported the problem through "Contact US" page.

I searched the internet to find a fix but apparently the problem does not lies in my system. Please see the following link:

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...or-new-members!

Quote:
some new members are saying that when they sign up at my forums, they try to post and it says "The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters."

A few members are having problems with this.

Last edited by dinesha : 8th July 2011 at 09:07.
Old 8th August 2011, 09:42   #141
Senior - BHPian

Is it possible to start from Jispa, go to Gata Loops and be back at Jispa in 1 day? Any permits required if one has to go beyond Sarchu, say upto these loops?
Old 8th August 2011, 09:48   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it possible to start from Jispa, go to Gata Loops and be back at Jispa in 1 day? Any permits required if one has to go beyond Sarchu, say upto these loops?
Yes, possible. Leave early morning. Cross Barlacha la, reach Sarchu, Gata Loops is not far from there. No permits required.
Old 8th August 2011, 09:56   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Yes, possible. Leave early morning. Cross Barlacha la, reach Sarchu, Gata Loops is not far from there. No permits required.
Awesome!! Thanks much hvk sir.

To all,
Though my 10 day itinerary is more or less set for Spiti and Lahaul however on second thoughts I'm contemplating going to Ladakh instead. Its just that Spiti might be a better bet when the mountains have snow and all. I'm a little confused.

Does it make sense to take a swift to Ladakh in mid-august or is it better to stick to Spiti/Lahaul only. Its just that I'm thinking whether heavy rains and cloudy weather in august would play spoilsport in Ladakh whereas in Spiti I'm less likely to encounter rains.
Old 8th August 2011, 10:12   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Awesome!! Thanks much hvk sir.

To all,
Though my 10 day itinerary is more or less set for Spiti and Lahaul however on second thoughts I'm contemplating going to Ladakh instead. Its just that Spiti might be a better bet when the mountains have snow and all. I'm a little confused.

Does it make sense to take a swift to Ladakh in mid-august or is it better to stick to Spiti/Lahaul only. Its just that I'm thinking whether heavy rains and cloudy weather in august would play spoilsport in Ladakh whereas in Spiti I'm less likely to encounter rains.
I think the possibilities of rain are minimised in August.
I prefer Lahaul-Spiti for its splendour, and also that you can return to Delhi via Kinnaur Valley too.
Old 8th August 2011, 10:21   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I think the possibilities of rain are minimised in August.
I prefer Lahaul-Spiti for its splendour, and also that you can return to Delhi via Kinnaur Valley too.
Sir as of now the itinerary looks like this, finalized on the same thread.
Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 8579
Size:  18.6 KB

Its just that I was thinking that Spiti/Lahaul could be too barren to visit in August, may be people here can boost my morale a little

Your inputs to the itinerary would be great. Objective: To visit the best scenic places in these two valleys.

Last edited by fine69 : 8th August 2011 at 10:23.
Old 8th August 2011, 11:51   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Sir as of now the itinerary looks like this, finalized on the same thread.
Attachment 589962

Its just that I was thinking that Spiti/Lahaul could be too barren to visit in August, may be people here can boost my morale a little

Your inputs to the itinerary would be great. Objective: To visit the best scenic places in these two valleys.
Personally I do not fancy going to Spiti post monsoons as you have rightly mentioned barren mountains offers lesser visual pleasure.

Splendors of Pin Valley is not same without snow and glaciers.

However Apple belt at Kinnaur will be at full glory post monsoons but you are not covering those areas.

I am planing to go back to Spiti again next year, may be little earlier.

My suggestion do Srinagar-Kargil-Leh Manali loop along with Manali-Chandrataal and plan Early June for Spiti. (Chandrataal not possible in June)

JMHO.
Old 8th August 2011, 11:56   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My suggestion do Srinagar-Kargil-Leh Manali loop along with Manali-Chandrataal and plan Early June for Spiti. (Chandrataal not possible in June)

JMHO.
Just the dates I'm travelling on make me a little skeptic about venturing into J&K territory, specially when I'd be in Srinagar on 15th August, and hence the dilemma.

EDIT: Any wouldn't the Ladakh mountains be equally devoid of snow this time of year? Not to add the cloudy weather that could prevent those mighty peaks to be seen.

EDIT 2: Or how about Goa in August?

Last edited by fine69 : 8th August 2011 at 12:11.
Old 9th September 2011, 21:00   #148
BHPian

Hi,
I have plan to drive to Lahaul Spiti from Delhi on Sunday/ Monday and am planning to do the entry from Manali side. Any update with regards to the weather and road conditions towards Manali/ Rohtang?
Also what is the procedure for getting the permits for non HP registered vehicles to go on Rohtang?
TIA
Old 24th September 2011, 17:51   #149
Senior - BHPian

Noida to Spiti valley and back. Help on the route, stay and caution points

4 people: 2 adults, 2 children and 1 Innova plan for the Spiti Valley starting 1 Oct.

Lahaul - Spiti; Suggestions and help needed-lahaul-spiti-valley.jpg

Tentative schedule is thus:

Lahaul - Spiti; Suggestions and help needed-hp-plan.gif

We are checking out:
1. If indeed the sections and the distances are doable in this time?
2. What will be issues / points / places to watch out for? (incl landslides etc)
3. What could be better split of the itinerary?
4. What could be good places to stay on way?

Last edited by parsh : 24th September 2011 at 17:52.
Old 24th September 2011, 18:33   #150
Senior - BHPian

Re: Noida to Spiti valley and back. Help on the route, stay and caution points

HVK had replied to my preliminary query earlier here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2508100

Would like to know if there are any specific updates now and any guidance points pls.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks