Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 30th May 2019, 23:28   #211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh89 View Post
I am planning for a 5 day bike trip to Chitkul from Delhi with following Itinerary. Need suggestions/updates on road conditions in the area.

Day 1, 5th June: Delhi to Narkanda/Kotgarh
Day 2, 6th June: Narkanda to Chitkul | Stay at Zostel
Day 3, 7th June: Chitkul to Kalpa | Stay in Kalpa/Rampur
Day 4, 8th June: Rampur to Shimla/Nearby village
Day 5, 9th June: Back to Delhi

Have booked accommodation in Chitkul for a night. Is it worth extending it for one more night, given the plan is to reach back to Delhi by Sunday evening on 9th.

Also, have read about Echor stays in Narkanda. Is it a nice place (looking for budget accommodation)? / Suggestions welcome for stay

Also, not really keen on visiting Shimla town, what are nice places to click photos around Shimla with accommodation options, preferably on the way to Delhi.

Will be traveling on my bullet with another friend.

Anyone else planning for a trip on this timeline?

Hi,

Please find below reply point wise:

1) Chitkul is worth the time. So depending on your preference you can extend a day at chitkul.
2) I stayed at Sara Hotel in Narkanda last year. It is a decent place with a good view of the Himalayas from the Balcony. Check it out once if not place of stay is not finalized yet.
3) Shogi and Narkanda(both sides) offer a good view for photography.

Regards

Abhik Banerjee
Old 3rd June 2019, 12:52   #212
BHPian

Default Re: Lahaul - Spiti; Suggestions and help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh89 View Post

Also, not really keen on visiting Shimla town, what are nice places to click photos around Shimla with accommodation options, preferably on the way to Delhi.
Avoid Shimla altogether. Take the Chail road. stay at Chail. If you have time then try the Kalka - Shimla ( or Shimla to Kalka) toy train. it is a world heritage train and a unique experience by itself. of course you need to spare a day for the whole experience.
Old 12th June 2019, 17:47   #213
BHPian

Anybody done the Shimla - Narkanda - Rampur - Recong Peo - Chitkul/Kalpa circuit in the last 1 week? If yes feedback pls. Have been reading about massive snarls on the routes to the hills in the North
Old 14th June 2019, 10:20   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Anybody done the Shimla - Narkanda - Rampur - Recong Peo - Chitkul/Kalpa circuit in the last 1 week? If yes feedback pls. Have been reading about massive snarls on the routes to the hills in the North

Hi,

I just returned from Chitkul this Monday.

Took the shimla - narkanda - rampur - karcham- sangla - chitkul route to and fro.

The roads are super fine expect for few patches till Karcham. Our route was a diversion to the one you are planning towards sangla. That road is in bad shape and it became tough on bike with narrow lanes and gravel all around.

Until karcham you will find tarmac in good conditions. All the best!
saurabh89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 22:48   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

What is the current conditions in Spiti. Been hearing lots of news about floods. Any recent updates from this area?
Old 28th August 2019, 10:13   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
What is the current conditions in Spiti. Been hearing lots of news about floods. Any recent updates from this area?
Any update, folks?

I am planning a trip starting Sep 6.
Day 1: Gurgaon - Rampur
Day 2: Rampur - Chango
Day 3: Chango - Kaza
Day 4: Kaza - Mud (Pin Valley)
Day 5: Pin Valley - CHandrataal
Day 6: buffer (can stay back anywhere e.g. Chango, Pin, Chandratal, etc.) also to cater for unforeseen delays due to road closures)
Day 7, 8: Start returning via Manali (if the road is open) or via Shimla route

Is Rampur - Chango doable in one day, assuming no serious weather tantrums?

Last edited by nilanjanray : 28th August 2019 at 10:18.
Old 29th August 2019, 10:46   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Any update, folks?
Hi Nilanjan, couple of days back my friend completed
Spiti and reached Leh. Road seems to open as of now.

They did Rampur Chitkul Kalpa Pin Kaaza Batal Chandra tal and drove to Keylong and then Leh. Rohtang was having a few landslides, and this loop made them avoid that to Leh. As of today they are exploring Ladakh.

Please update after your trip
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 16:21   #218
Senior - BHPian

Default Spiti - quick update

I returned last weekend after doing the Shimla - Spiti - Manali circuit.

TLDR: Return via Shimla will be far easier for non-4WD vehicles. You will have to drive a lot more carefully if you decide to come via Manali.

Quick update:
* Road till Rampur is fine.
* Rampur to Chango road is pretty decent. You might want to start early because in some places they start blasting after 11.30 am, and then one has to wait for 30-60 mins while the bulldozers clear the road.
* Rampur to Kaza is broken in stretches.
* Kaza - Langza - Komic - Demul - Lidang road is narrow, with some broken stretches. Dirt road for many sections.
* Kaza - Mud (Pin Valley) road is bad.
* Kaza - Chandratal is bad in certain stretches. Take the 'upper' route via Kee, Kibber, and Chicham, that is relatively better.
* Chandratal - Manali is again pretty bad. Innovas etc. can get stuck if the right approach is not chosen carefully. We didn't get stuck in Rohtang since we came in the afternoon during non-tourist season. Don't drive too fast because broken stretches can appear all of a sudden.
* Be careful about falling rocks of various sizes. There will be roadside warnings, and you can make out whether there are rocks falling by looking at the road surface.

We had two 4x4s (Fortuner and Endeavour) and had to engage 4LL in a few situations. E.g. narrow hairpins over rocks where there wasn't enough radius to do it in one turn. Or when I had to crawl over rocks to avoid a stuck Innova. Or when restarting after having stopped on a steep stretch. Pull is less at higher altitudes (above 12,000 feet).

Did some offroading for fun. Great terrain for that :-)

Last edited by nilanjanray : 17th September 2019 at 16:23.
nilanjanray is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2019, 19:52   #219
Distinguished - BHPian

I returned this week after Spiti loop. nilanjan has summed up the scenario very well. Once I get some time, I will upload the videos of the drive for all to benefit
Old 28th September 2019, 09:59   #220
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Spiti - quick update

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
I returned last weekend after doing the Shimla - Spiti - Manali circuit.

TLDR: Return via Shimla will be far easier for non-4WD vehicles. You will have to drive a lot more carefully if you decide to come via Manali.

Quick update:
* Road till Rampur is fine.
* Rampur to Chango road is pretty decent. You might want to start early because in some places they start blasting after 11.30 am, and then one has to wait for 30-60 mins while the bulldozers clear the road.
* Rampur to Kaza is broken in stretches.
* Kaza - Langza - Komic - Demul - Lidang road is narrow, with some broken stretches. Dirt road for many sections.
* Kaza - Mud (Pin Valley) road is bad.
* Kaza - Chandratal is bad in certain stretches. Take the 'upper' route via Kee, Kibber, and Chicham, that is relatively better.
* Chandratal - Manali is again pretty bad. Innovas etc. can get stuck if the right approach is not chosen carefully. We didn't get stuck in Rohtang since we came in the afternoon during non-tourist season. Don't drive too fast because broken stretches can appear all of a sudden.
* Be careful about falling rocks of various sizes. There will be roadside warnings, and you can make out whether there are rocks falling by looking at the road surface.

We had two 4x4s (Fortuner and Endeavour) and had to engage 4LL in a few situations. E.g. narrow hairpins over rocks where there wasn't enough radius to do it in one turn. Or when I had to crawl over rocks to avoid a stuck Innova. Or when restarting after having stopped on a steep stretch. Pull is less at higher altitudes (above 12,000 feet).

Did some offroading for fun. Great terrain for that :-)
Have to check travelogues section....looking forward for your travelogue if not already up
Old 28th November 2019, 17:51   #221
BHPian

planning for kinnaur /spiti trip in 2020 during summer vacation.
what will be better month to travel out of May / June first week?
I know kunzum will be closed in May and chances of snowfall will be low in June.

Not able to decide if I should try spiti loop in June or cover only Kinnaur valley in May.
Old 28th November 2019, 21:51   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
planning for kinnaur /spiti trip in 2020 during summer vacation.
what will be better month to travel out of May / June first week?
I know kunzum will be closed in May and chances of snowfall will be low in June.

Not able to decide if I should try spiti loop in June or cover only Kinnaur valley in May.
Avoid the summer vacation period like the plague. The whole of NCR descends upon the hills and it's just not worth it if you want to experience the solitude of Spiti. If you must, check the weather forecast and you should be able to go up to kaza via Shimla. You will also have to come back the same way as roads beyond losar will be closed
Old 29th November 2019, 12:31   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Now with good connectivity and good roads all the way till Kaza, the amount of tourist taxis are on the rise. When I visited in the last week of September also there were enough crowds and taxis. Probably better than the "holiday" dates.

Last edited by laluks : 29th November 2019 at 12:33.
Old 3rd February 2020, 20:36   #224
BHPian

We are planning a trip to Spiti by a in self rental in 3rd week of May. Here is the tentative plan.
Please let me know any suggestions.

Day-1: Mumbai to Delhi
Day-2: Delhi to Chail
Day-3: Chail to kalpa
Day-4: Kalpa to sangla and chitkul and back
Day-5: Kalpa - Tabo. Exlplore the Tabo monastery.
Day-6: Kaza to Hikkim/Komic/Langza till lunch. Post lunch proceed for Kee/Kibbar and back to Kaza
Day 7: Kaza
Day-8: Kaza to chandratal with a stop over at sissu
Day-9: Sissu to Manali
Day-10: Manali to Delhi
Day-11: Delhi to mumbai
Old 3rd February 2020, 21:17   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnaveen21 View Post
We are planning a trip to Spiti by a in self rental in 3rd week of May. Here is the tentative plan.
Please let me know any suggestions.

Day-1: Mumbai to Delhi
Day-2: Delhi to Chail
Day-3: Chail to kalpa
Day-4: Kalpa to sangla and chitkul and back
Day-5: Kalpa - Tabo. Exlplore the Tabo monastery.
Day-6: Kaza to Hikkim/Komic/Langza till lunch. Post lunch proceed for Kee/Kibbar and back to Kaza
Day 7: Kaza
Day-8: Kaza to chandratal with a stop over at sissu
Day-9: Sissu to Manali
Day-10: Manali to Delhi
Day-11: Delhi to mumbai
Sounds fair. Just 2 points: Keep an extra day as buffer. Roads here are treacherous. Might end up needing it due to fatigue or car breakdown. Also, I'd suggest camping at Chandra taal itself. Nothing to see in sissu. Can drive from Chandrataal to Manali on same day with an early ride. Enjoy your trip!
Pahadi.Officer is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed