Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2020, 21:33   #226
BHPian

Re: Lahaul - Spiti; Suggestions and help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnaveen21 View Post
We are planning a trip to Spiti by a in self rental in 3rd week of May. Here is the tentative plan.
Please let me know any suggestions.
In December, Kaza to Manali via Rohtang is closed and we could not complete the circuit.. It is usually closed till may or something as per locals.

Last edited by ampere : 10th February 2020 at 07:30. Reason: trimmed quoted post
arun_kun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 22:04   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnaveen21 View Post
We are planning a trip to Spiti by a in self rental in 3rd week of May. Here is the tentative plan.
Please let me know any suggestions.
Just 2 suggestions-
1) Kalpa is beyond chhitkul if coming from Shimla/chail side. You can stay at chhitkul for one night & then can go &
explore Kalpa the next day in place of coming opposite to explore Chhitkul from Kalpa.
2) Check Kunzum La status whether it's open or closed otherwise you have to return via same route.

Last edited by ampere : 10th February 2020 at 07:30. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
RahuKetu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 13:28   #228
BHPian

Is it possible to visit Spiti and Leh-Ladakh together? I am planning 2-3weeks trip starting from end of August or start of September 2020. If yes, where should i start with and what route to take.
AnandB is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 13:48   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
Is it possible to visit Spiti and Leh-Ladakh together? I am planning 2-3weeks trip starting from end of August or start of September 2020. If yes, where should i start with and what route to take.
Possible in Aug-Sept.
You must start from Shimla, complete the Spiti circuit with detour to Chitkul.
After completing Spiti and crossing Kunzum pass, you will meet the Manali Leh road at Gramphu. This will bypass Manali and Rohtang pass, and you will not have to take any permit at Manali, thus saving one day.
Once you reach Gramphu, you can drive upto Leh. 45kms ahead of Gramphu is Tandi where you will have to top up fuel. Leh and around depends on your planning. From Leh you can exit via Kargil to Srinagar and back home. This completes the circuit.
Be prepared for at least a 15 day trip.
Standard itenararies are available online and on this forum.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 8th February 2020 at 13:52.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 14:07   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Possible in Aug-Sept.
From Leh you can exit via Kargil to Srinagar and back home. This completes the circuit.
Don't plan to complete that circuit but would you suggest it's worth it going to Kargil and Sri Nagar? If i don't and go back to Chandigarh via Manali, do i need permits going back via Manali?

As a first time visitor is it possible to get bored of similar landscapes back to back? I do wish to complete the circuit as you suggested but don't want to be tired/bored by the end of it.

Last edited by AnandB : 8th February 2020 at 14:10.
AnandB is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 15:20   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Don't plan to complete that circuit but would you suggest it's worth it going to Kargil and Sri Nagar? If i don't and go back to Chandigarh via Manali, do i need permits going back via Manali?

As a first time visitor is it possible to get bored of similar landscapes back to back? I do wish to complete the circuit as you suggested but don't want to be tired/bored by the end of it.
Hi Anand

My suggestion will be to do Spiti & Laddakh separately since exploring both regions in 2-3 weeks will be too hectic. You can plan Kinnaur & Spiti in one trip as below-
1) Delhi/Chandigarh - Shimla - Narkanda - Hatu Peak - Rampur - Sarahan - Chhitkul - Kalpa - Giu - Nako - Pin Valley - Dhankhar - Tabo - Lidang - Hikkam - Langza - Koumik - Kaza - Key - Kibber - Chicham - Kunzum La - Chandrataal Lake - Koksar - Manali - Delhi/Chandigarh

But If you are very keen on covering both regions in single trip then you can plan as below-

Delhi - Jammu - Srinagar - Sonamarg - Kargil - Leh (Explore Nubra,Turtuk, Pangong Tso) - Tso Moriri - Tso Kar - Pang - Jispa - Gramphu - Batal - Chandratal - Kunzum La - Chicham - Kibber - Key - Kaza - Koumik - Langza - Hikkam - Lidang - Tabo - Dhankhar - Pin Valley - Nako - Giu - Kalpa - Chhitkul - Sarahan - Rampur - Narkanda - Shimla - Chandigarh - Delhi
RahuKetu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 15:38   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The Spiti circuit is complete only when you enter/ start from Shimla side and exit from Kunzum pass towards Manali or Udeypur (Lahual) or towards Ladakh; or vice-versa.
Similarly the Ladakh to and fro circuit is complete only when you enter from Manali and exit from Kargil- Srinagar or vice-versa. Internally Ladakh has many small and big circuits which need longer time and cannot be done in one go, unless you plan to spend a month.

Since you may be going for the first time, it's best to do Ladakh and Spiti individually in two different plans. Don't try to compile everything in one go as you may not enjoy it.

Depending from where you start in India (I think Raipur in your case), you need at least 4 days to and fro from your planned base, so that also adds to your journey time.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 8th February 2020 at 15:42.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 23:18   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahuKetu View Post
Hi Anand

But If you are very keen on covering both regions in single trip then you can plan as below-

Delhi - Jammu - Srinagar - Sonamarg - Kargil - Leh (Explore Nubra,Turtuk, Pangong Tso) - Tso Moriri - Tso Kar - Pang - Jispa - Gramphu - Batal - Chandratal - Kunzum La - Chicham - Kibber - Key - Kaza - Koumik - Langza - Hikkam - Lidang - Tabo - Dhankhar - Pin Valley - Nako - Giu - Kalpa - Chhitkul - Sarahan - Rampur - Narkanda - Shimla - Chandigarh - Delhi
Going by your suggestions but skipping Jammu and Srinigar, this is what i planned from my initial research:

Lahaul - Spiti; Suggestions and help needed-trip1.jpg

What do you think?
AnandB is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2020, 00:01   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Going by your suggestions but skipping Jammu and Srinigar, this is what i planned from my initial research:

Attachment 1968027

What do you think?
Hi Anand

You have planned well. Second day will be a very long day drive for you. Keep one day for Kaza to explore Hikkam, Langza, Koumik & Tashigang. You can include Gui mummy & Dhankhar in your itinerary. You can also go via Key, Kibber & chicham to chandratal from Kaza to make it more interesting.

Keep one or two rest days/buffer days in your itinerary to enjoy natural beauty. The itinerary is little bit hurried but doable. Best wishes for your journey. You can go through my travelogue to get an idea about travel time, expenses etc. I did it in 2012 in September end. Just google " Spiti Dzire Fullfilled".
RahuKetu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2020, 17:24   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahuKetu View Post
Hi Anand
You have planned well. Second day will be a very long day drive for you. Keep one day for Kaza to explore Hikkam, Langza, Koumik & Tashigang. You can include Gui mummy & Dhankhar in your itinerary. You can also go via Key, Kibber & chicham to chandratal from Kaza to make it more interesting.
Lahaul - Spiti; Suggestions and help needed-trip2.jpg

Long-drive before and after Spiti-Ladakh won't be an issue as there will be 3-4 of us all who can drive. I have shortened a day on the Spiti circuit. Skipping Nako and straight to Mud Village. Will be a long one but Chitkul-Kalpa before will be a relaxed day followed by ones at Kaza and Chandratal. Will keep it as buffer if the permits don't work out and another night is needed in Leh. Will try to explore Hikkam, Langza, Koumik & Tashigang on the day arriving to Kaza or the next one before going to Chandratal.

Reading fuel pumps and calculating with my car's average I can get by with refueling diesel at Shimla, Kaza, Leh, Diskit, Tandi, Manali. The biggest risk being reaching Tandi after Sarchu as last refuel would have been at Diskit approx 750kms back. I read all dhabas and places in-between carry black fuel but is it pure and not contaminated? Should i just take 20L worth of jerry-cans anyway?

For accommodations, since Sep will be after peak season, should i risk and just book when we arrive or still better to book ahead?

Mod Note: We recommend to upload the picture to our server and link it from there rather than from an external source.

Last edited by ampere : 10th February 2020 at 07:32.
Old 9th February 2020, 23:47   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Should i just take 20L worth of jerry-cans anyway?
For accommodations, since Sep will be after peak season, should i risk and just book when we arrive or still better to book ahead?
September is lean season so no need to book in advance. I too did the trip in September 2012. Accommodation is cheap too during this period. Roads will be in a better shape with few water crossings. Keep some warm clothes as temperatures may dip to 0-5 degrees in Spiti during night. I experienced -1 at Kunzum La on 1st October 2012.

Please carry extra fuel, jump start cables, extra tubes and inflator pump with you. Sun cream & goggles are must. You may also carry chocolates and stationery to distribute to local kids if you want.

Mod Note: Please avoid quoting the entire post when responding

Last edited by ampere : 10th February 2020 at 07:33. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
RahuKetu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 11:24   #237
BHPian

Guys, please help.

Do you have know any tour and travels or good driver with car who can take 2 families (6 members) to Spiti from Delhi or Chandigarh in month of May for 10 days and return back.

Earlier plan to was self drive, but my other friend not interested to drive.

Thanks,
Old 15th May 2020, 02:49   #238
BHPian

I am planning for a BLR Spiti trip via Shimla/Narkanda when things get better. I will be driving my ford freestyle. I am not sure if the 190mm ground clearance is good enough for Kaza-Manali stretch. I don’t mind doing the half circuit(till Chandertal and back to Shimla) if it helps avoid damages to my car. Thoughts? Also any particular time when the water crossings are relatively less?
Old 15th May 2020, 16:38   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigDaddy_In View Post
I am planning for a BLR Spiti trip via Shimla/Narkanda when things get better. I will be driving my ford freestyle. I am not sure if the 190mm ground clearance is good enough for Kaza-Manali stretch. I don’t mind doing the half circuit(till Chandertal and back to Shimla) if it helps avoid damages to my car. Thoughts? Also any particular time when the water crossings are relatively less?
With 190mm GC you won’t have much trouble. To avoid heavy water crossings better to start as early as possible in the morning as the water flow increases as the sunlight peaks. Maximum water crossings And worst stretch will come between Batal and Gramphoo. So in case you are planning to visit chandratal, leave early the next morning and be careful when driving over boulders, don’t rush as you will end up damaging tyres,suspensions or worst case breaking of axle. There are many videos available on YouTube of that stretch, you can take reference of that.
abhikb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 20:46   #240
Senior - BHPian

Lahaul - Spiti; Suggestions and help needed-img20200916wa0001.jpg

Didn't know where else to upload this for fellow BHP-ians longing to visit this place, so posting here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks