Team-BHP - Lahaul - Spiti; Suggestions and help needed
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Lahaul - Spiti; Suggestions and help needed (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/82104-lahaul-spiti-suggestions-help-needed-2.html)

Tenting at Chandratal is possible provided you dont get a freak weather. Kunzum La is known for sudden snowfalls. As long as you are equipped for higher altitude camping overnighter at Chandratal is a definite go.
You can walk to Chandratal but why bother when you have the Scorpio. Save your energy for walks around the Tal rather than to the Tal.
Stok Kangri is an established peak (but a good choice for beginers) and you need to be at least partially trained in crevasse crossing, bailing, and Glacial Routing to do it alone. If you are not I suggest take a guide. Or trek to Chota Darra and Bada darra from Manikaran Sahib and go upto the Chandratal.
Let me see if my hand drawn maps of the route can be located. If you are an experienced camper then you would know the things to be carried. I can summarise the entire admin requirement but you will need to tell me what all ahve you done and the things you have.
Doc what do you mean when you say you were in ROP?

you can forget chandertaal in first week of june. Often its not even walkable in first week of june. Snow clearing over there is by PWD and not BRO, and those guys do it when they are sure of no snowfalls.

Hey docfreak, sorry for being a spoilsport buddy but the road to Chandratal may be closed for cars this year. :Frustrati For updates on the status of the road, please follow the link below:

Chandratal link road closed to vehicles - India Travel Forum | IndiaMike.com

I am myself planning a trip similar to yours this year, therefore, am keeping my fingers crossed. If the road does get closed for traffic, trekking to the lake becomes the only option.

It would just be better. Walking is any day more enjoyable than driving on that road. Plus when I say its doable ofcourse I mean that its weather permitting. Yes it can be a bit difficult during the first week of June but I have seen Chandratal getting visitor friendly around 15th June and who knows with this freak heat wave he might get lucky. But all said and done he needs to work it over once he is in the vicinity.

Bad news, eh mate? Fresh snow in the higher reaches will delay Kunzam La opening as usual.

fresh snow ?? when did that happen?
w.nomad: when are u planning ur trip? i am also planning to carry my bicycle along now . stok tangri seems very inviting, where could i get more details from? any idea of where can i arrange a guide from?
i will be out till tuesday for work , so will be unable to reply , but guys please posting in some details , once i am back then the prep will start full pep.
thanks
sharat

Not this summer, small kid. Carry your bicycle should make it more interesting. Stok kangri is very inviting and can be done. Maybe you can start with some trekking operators at Leh who might arrange a guide for you. Or just get out there and sweet talk yourself into a group already headed that way with a guide but works if you are alone or else the provisions may make additions dicey as they are in a short supply.
Without guide, check the HP tourism office at Manali, they would be able to give you a trek map of the manikaran- chota darra trek and onto Chandratal. Explore that possibility if you can.

lordofgondor, the closing of the Battal-Chandratal road is interesting news. It was never an easy drive, it will be a tougher walk all the 14 kms! I guess that will keep away all but the most serious of travellers from this beautiful Lake.

In same thread its mentioned that the road is not closed, but possibly one need a permit from keylong to go to Chandratal, so the road is still open but now you need to get the permit to drive on that!!!

Quote:

Hi! Things have changed and so now the latest is that people will still be able to go near Chandratal by motorised vehicle,but in order to do so a special permit will be required.This will be released in the Forest Department offices in Kaza and Keylong,while it's not clear yet whether it will be possible to get a permit in Manali too.There should be a kind of check post of the FD on the way,to see that no one goes up without the proper papers.Updates here when available.
-Pramod

Hmm a FD check post in that area? Highly unlikely unless it only day manned. But why would they do that, very unusual. Let me try and find out the truth from the forest guys.

Hello Fellow Team Bhpians and docfreak ,

The latest news is the stretch of 34 kms from Gramphu to Chotta dhara is opened now, about 10 days back the PWD Team cleared snow till Batal but due to fresh snow last week this road is again closed and hence delayed the opening of Kunzum Pass.

And when i spoke to PWD official at Kaza over phone, they told me if all z well and if there is no fresh snow then road from Chotta Dhara to Kaza will open in week or ten days at the most.

So keep your fingers crossed and lets wait till the road is opened, will keep everyone updated :thumbs up

Lahaul - Spiti; Suggestions and help needed-dsc06432.jpg

This was the view of i10 after having loads of snow this winter in manali... its literally covered with about five feet of snow !!!

DRIVE SAFE & BE SAFE !!!

My God. Thats a lot of snow man. Sigh, I am in the wrong job, definitely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderernomad (Post 1900095)
My God. Thats a lot of snow man. Sigh, I am in the wrong job, definitely.

Its literally burried in five feet of snow, which took me about 3 days to get this car out after snowfall, and scorpio was fully covered with snow, if you wish i can post the picture of the same :thumbs up

Dear All

We have planned for a trip to Lahaul & Spiti starting from 28th May to 6th June. Flights are booked for both to & fro journey.

We will be reaching Delhi - 6.30pm on 28th May(booked)
Leaving Delhi on 9.30am on 6th June(booked).

Based on this I have made a iternary as below.
We have not booked Hotels at any place & thinking of Booking only for Shimla & Manali before starting, rest all we want to go & book at those places.
we are taking a self driven hired vehicle from Delhi. We have planned to reach Delhi on 28th evening & drive straight to Shimla overnight to save time(otherwise we may miss out this entire loop). But our families are not for this.
self, wife & my 7yr old daughter,
My friend, his wife & his 2 kids(9 yrs & 3yrs), so 3 kids & 4 adults for this trip.

Request your advice on stay. this iternary & any essentials required for this trip.If Batal is not open we may have to take the same route back missing Manali.

Date From To
28th - Hyd Del/Shimla
29th Shimla Shimla
30th Shimla Sarahan
31st Sarahan Chitkul
1st chitkul Kalpa
2nd Kalpa Tabo
3rd Tabo Kaza
4th Kaza Manali
5th Manali Delhi
6th Delhi Hyd

Thanks In advance

Mods note: Thread merged. Tiger, please continue in this thread for your informations and questions.