Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2010, 01:06   #16
BHPian

We have recently started keeping bread, cheese spread and Salami which works as our breakfast as well as on the drive snack. However on a recent drive in current hot weather I felt the need of a car fridge for the same. Ditto for Chocolate which started melting.

The problem is not when are driving but when you take small breaks or whatsoever and the AC is off.
Old 1st June 2010, 01:21   #17
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderNomad View Post
We have recently started keeping bread, cheese spread and Salami which works as our breakfast as well as on the drive snack. However on a recent drive in current hot weather I felt the need of a car fridge for the same. Ditto for Chocolate which started melting.

The problem is not when are driving but when you take small breaks or whatsoever and the AC is off.

A way way cheaper solution to a car fridge is the ICE box (although temporary). I usually keep one in my car on long journeys. The trick to save on space in the ICE box is not to use ice as the cooling agent, but special coolant packets which once frozen will sustain cold temperature in the ice box for at least a couple of days. These coolant packets are reusable and can easily be frozen again once a person reaches destination.
Old 1st June 2010, 07:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharti22shresth View Post
The trick to save on space in the ICE box is not to use ice as the cooling agent, but special coolant packets which once frozen will sustain cold temperature in the ice box for at least a couple of days. These coolant packets are reusable and can easily be frozen again once a person reaches destination.
Where would one get these coolant packets? Which are the good brands?
Old 1st June 2010, 09:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

My rule- eat anything which never moved/moves! Am a massive fan of anything with tons of masala.

Eating street food since I can recollect and never the worse for it.

What doesnt kill you makes you stronger!! (ducks and runs for cover)

I eat less on the road simply because of lack of hygienic toilet facilities!
Old 1st June 2010, 09:39   #20
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Where would one get these coolant packets? Which are the good brands?
Actually these aren't available in the market freely as far as i know. But they can be easily sourced from a medicine wholesaler (if you are around chd, feel free to ask, i got plenty with me as we are into pharmaceutical business only). The ones that wholesalers have usually the best of the lot because they are used to keep some vials that need to be stored in a cool environment, cool for even 7 days on the trot sometimes.
Old 2nd June 2010, 17:35   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I eat less on the road simply because of lack of hygienic toilet facilities!
+1 to that. I only eat when I feel those unrelenting hunger pangs, and those are quite rare.

From my experience, I'd say that boiled eggs, along with strong brew black coffee are the best bet when it comes to long drives. They keep you feeling full for a long time and the caffeine helps in keeping you alert.
Old 2nd June 2010, 18:14   #22
BHPian

Apple contains more caffeine than coffee, and can keep you satiated for a longer time. Needless to say a healthier and easy to carry option.
On trips I prefer finger food, stuff that I can eat without halting. There is a dry fruit chikki available @ Tharu's sweets in Khar. awesome for an energy boost and keeps hunger pangs at bay.

I have done Bombay - Goa trips without halts, by muching on fruits and the chikki, because once in Goa, its a feast, worth being kept hungry
Old 3rd June 2010, 03:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

i usually carry chocolates, cashew nuts, Fruit juices and 3-4 bottles of bottled water. I prefer not to eat just before the start of the journey, i would eat an hour earlier, shower, make myself comfortable, and then start on the journey. have short eats on the way, and have big meal once you reach your destination.

As i am quite fat, i think i can go hungry for a longer time.

Last edited by govigov : 3rd June 2010 at 03:45. Reason: spell check
Old 3rd June 2010, 11:23   #24
BHPian

Mostly during bachelor days
*Dhaba
*Sharing dinner with Truck Drivers
*Even migrant workers

Now, with wife and 2 super active kids
* Picnic Basket - bread, cheese, butter, banana, apple, milk powder (but mostly kids powder meals, I just love stealing them, makes a yummy meal)
* Loads of water from home, oh yeah a small immersion rod
* Though I can gorge on boiled egg anytime any quantity (8-10), for kids a strict no-no (you'd require double ionizer)

Solo Rides (Hyd - DEL) (PNQ - GOA) (Hyd - Kol) (DEL - LEH)
* Whatever gets cooked at the roadside, only cooked, nothing fried
* Lots to drink, dont get me wrong, not the hic-ones, water, no juices (allergic), sometimes Red Bull (but only overland, flat plain drives, once the effect tapers of bhai lethargy and bhai sleep come quicker than bhai reflex can flex)

Since I am a gourmand, end up other side of the stove, amazing learning.

Long drives are like song, unless you are Aero High-tone smith, Mr Kroger or Mr James you cant pull off a long drive at same steam. I love certain Mr Adams way, roll in some emotions catch a lil break and rock n roll away.

Dont , if I went OT.
Old 3rd June 2010, 12:42   #25
BHPian

I don't carry much food when I drive, but usually stop at roadside restaurants or more decent options if I know of them, and have a go! All the later worries will be tackled later. Very often I find myself full and a bit uncomfortable, but the pleasure of eating well is worth these small pains. I think one's stomach gets used to the way it is made to work, and becomes less fussy about the water in the chutney and stuff like that. However, I try to avoid food or places that are visibly unhygienic. And I am not a big fan of fried stuff so don't have much of them on the move.

I am a guy who thinks about breakfast first thing in the morning, and about lunch the first thing after breakfast. So any opportunity to try out some variety is eagerly looked forward to.

Having said all these, all my drives have been in south India where (I think) the eating options are more (owing to higher population density) and you don't really need to carry much food with you.

Guys, don't listen to me and take care of your safety!
Old 3rd June 2010, 14:06   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjay_in View Post
I am a guy who thinks about breakfast first thing in the morning, and about lunch the first thing after breakfast. So any opportunity to try out some variety is eagerly looked forward to.
You have one able friend in me. I have the same idea. I can skip anything, but BF? A BIG NO NO!
I need something in my stomach, before I get behind the wheel. Else the rumble is too hard to bear!
Old 3rd June 2010, 14:21   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
But I thought otherwise. Eating non-veg stuff (these tend to be heavy) would mean lot of energy needed on metabolic activity, slowing down the brain. A slow brain would mean less alertness etc.

Not sure of the scientific basis of either approaches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Exactly my thoughts, I feel sleepy every time I eat non-veg.

You can also carry corn flakes and milk. Add to that the apples, banana and dates. They are as good as a regular course meal.
1. We all have a tendency of gobbling chunks of rice (biryani) and wheat (naan) along with non-veg dishes, which are already doused with oil and ghee
2. Drowsiness happens because of a sudden rush of blood sugar (not because of ease/difficulty in digesting) - mainly caused by fast digesting carbs. Glycemic index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When I said meat - I meant meat only. Preferably dried/roasted/fried!
All long distance travelers, since Genghis Khan (and before that too ), know that meat is slow to digest. Doesn't dip the alertness levels, and as I said earlier - doesn't make you crap frequently .

Last edited by alpha1 : 3rd June 2010 at 14:25.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2010, 19:18   #28
BHPian

I usually have idly with sambar or bread omlet in the morning and for lunch and for lunch egg bhurji or dal fry and tandoori roti/chapathi, I avoid rice/panner/non veg/fried items/deserts/ice cream esp curd rice....
Old 4th June 2010, 11:35   #29
BHPian

Now I am alll confused !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

, All your replies have confused me, I am starting from Mumbai for Vailnakanni tomorrow at 3 am. The last thing on my mind was 'What to eat before leaving ?'. Now looking at this thread I am totally confused.
Old 4th June 2010, 17:51   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayurpalav View Post
, All your replies have confused me, I am starting from Mumbai for Vailnakanni tomorrow at 3 am. The last thing on my mind was 'What to eat before leaving ?'. Now looking at this thread I am totally confused.
Every person has a different needs and different tastes. Do whatever suits you best.

Personally speaking my diet plans start atleast 2 days before a long trip. I go on a home only diet atleast 2 days before the start of the trip. I also avoid oily-spicy food during this time. I have a history of stomach problems so need to follow this plan. This way I am sure that my digestive system is in perfect condition on the day of the trip.

While on the trip, I would stop at any place which looks clean. At road side Dhabas I avoid anything that would contain any kind of oil. I stick to daal and plain tandoori roti. Egg bhuri only occasionally, and that too if I like the taste of daal.

If the place is really good, like Murthal (people from Delhi would swear by the food joints at this place) I let myslef loose and feast on almost anything. But always stick to veggy stuff, while on the road.

I also carry loads of fluids, anything between 5-10 bottles of water. 2-5 bottles of 500 ml pepsi/coke. A bottle or two of juices. Some munchies like chips/cookies/chocolates. This way I don't have to buy anything while on the highway, as its very difficult to find reliable products. Even while buying Bisleri or Aquafina you can never be sure that the bottle you are buying is the authentic stuff.

And yes I always carry a medical bag, which contains apart from the first aid kit, the following medicines:

Digene
Pudin Hara
Eno
Vomistop (helps people who have a tentendcy to throw-up while travelling in the hills, never had this problem myself, still carry it for fellow travellers)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks