Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2010, 11:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

Driving new car on long trip before getting RC and Insurance?

Hi,

I have just got my new Ford Figo last week. I have done the registration, got the permanent number and the number plate is fixed on the car.

Reg RC, dealer says that RTO will take some time (~30 days) to issue the RC.
Reg insurance, dealer has given a cover note and says that the insurance paper will take 2 weeks to come.

According to the dealer, I can drive the car anywhere with the car invoice and this insurance cover note.

But I just want to know, is it safe to travel to Karaikudi and Rameshwaram from Chennai? If cops do any checking, is it ok to be with just the invoice and insurance cover note?
Old 2nd June 2010, 12:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

The dealer is right. The cover note and the invoice is enough.

Ideally, you should also be getting the receipt from the RTO for the road tax amount paid. Get that from them.

Go ahead with your travel. Absolutely no issues will be there. Traveling across states itself will not be an issue and here you are talking of traveling within one.

Enjoy the drive.
Old 2nd June 2010, 13:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Hi,

I have just got my new Ford Figo last week. I have done the registration, got the permanent number and the number plate is fixed on the car.

Reg RC, dealer says that RTO will take some time (~30 days) to issue the RC.
Reg insurance, dealer has given a cover note and says that the insurance paper will take 2 weeks to come.

According to the dealer, I can drive the car anywhere with the car invoice and this insurance cover note.

But I just want to know, is it safe to travel to Karaikudi and Rameshwaram from Chennai? If cops do any checking, is it ok to be with just the invoice and insurance cover note?
As per rules what you have is ok,but to be on the safer side,you would be better off travelling with the original documents,else there are strong possibilities of you being stopped by the police/rta on some flimsy grounds.In the age of online insurances,not sure why your dealer tells you 2 weeks.
Old 2nd June 2010, 13:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

@Raju, there is no problem in taking your car anywhere as long as you have the Invoice documents & the insurance cover note.

I had taken my car from Chennai to Kerala in 4 days after delivery last year!
Old 2nd June 2010, 13:33   #5
BHPian

What you need to carry when you drive a new car (and all documents are not available yet)
1. Vehicle Delivery Note
2. Insurance Cover Note
3. LTT (Life Time Tax) token

Toll plazas will usually issue a receipt with "NEW VEHICLE" in place of the vehicle registration number. I see that the dealer has already given you the number.

Enjoy your trip - you can drive anywhere within the country with these in hand.
Old 2nd June 2010, 13:44   #6
BHPian

Why do want to go for a long drive in a new car before the run-in period is complete?
Old 2nd June 2010, 13:53   #7
BANNED

I think run-in is now for the birds. I agree, better get the paperwork complete before driving off.
Old 2nd June 2010, 13:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thanks all. The only thing missing is the tax token which I guess I have to contact the dealer and get.

@iamswift: well, its a trip I would prefer not to miss, with my colleagues. Also, I read somewhere that running-in on the highways is actually good, correct me if I am wrong. Of course, I will take care that speeds and revs are kept under control, only I drive it, and idling for 1 min before switching off / after switching on. Do you think there could be any problems from long drives before run-in is complete?

P.S: So far the car has run 350km. By the time we start for the trip (next weekend) I expect it would have clocked 600 to 700km.
Old 2nd June 2010, 15:12   #9
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Go ahead Rajushank. I travelled with the RC and cover note across 4 states.
I also travelled between MH and Karnataka with just the dealer note and the cover note. Once a cop stopped me near Shimoga and asked me what is the purpose of my drive. He didn't ask me for any papers when I told him that I went to attend a friend's wedding.
If the cops want to fleece you, no matter what you carry, you'll be hassled.
Legally there's nothing stopping you from driving with the cover note and the invoice. All depends on what the cop who stops you wants. So enjoy your drive.
Old 2nd June 2010, 15:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamswift View Post
Why do want to go for a long drive in a new car before the run-in period is complete?
So one should run in the new car only in city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Also, I read somewhere that running-in on the highways is actually good, correct me if I am wrong. Of course, I will take care that speeds and revs are kept under control, only I drive it, and idling for 1 min before switching off / after switching on. Do you think there could be any problems from long drives before run-in is complete?
I don't think there's any problems related to running in the car when you do a long road trip with the new car. Hope you won't the rip the engine too much anyway. I did a long road trip with my new car, had a 1400 Kms trip but observed some rpm limits. Didn't go beyond 90kmph either.

The new tires need some running in, for the breaking to be effective so take care in the very first 500 kms or so. Since yours is already 350, I guess that won't be an issue.

Last edited by clevermax : 2nd June 2010 at 15:43.
Old 2nd June 2010, 15:26   #11
Team-BHP Support

There can be delays for the Smart Card (New RC System) to be delivered to the owner. With the original invoice it should be OK.

But insurance, you should be able to get an insurance pretty soon.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd June 2010 at 15:27.
Old 2nd June 2010, 15:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

For any car the insurance policy must mention the following for the policy to be effective
1. Engine number
2. Chassis number and
3. Registration number of the car

No matter what anyone including your insurance agent tells you, without these 3 mentioned on the policy, it is not worth the paper it is printed on.

For a new car an endorsement will be issued by the insurance company to make the registration number a part of your policy. This endorsement is based on the Road tax receipt issued by the RTO which will also mention the new number alloted to you/your vehicle. Carry a copy of this endorsement along with the policy cover note issued at the time of purchase of the vehicle which already has the engine and chassis nos. Together the policy cover note and the endorsement letter make your policy effective in the first year. Second year onwards the new policy will mention all three on the same page.

The RC/smart card can come later.

Get your insurance agent to have this endorsement carried out ASAP.

I am posting from my personal experience with my car bought in March this year. I took my new vehicle on an outstation trip and when I came back a very worried insurance agent requested me not to take the car out again till he got the endorsement done. Upon prodding he explained the entire procedure. All new vehicles without this endorsement are running on "Chalta hai" and "Jub hoga tab Dekh lenge" attitudes of the agents etc Sooner or later the endorsements will be carried out, however since we know that "a stitch in time saves nine" so get this done and then enjoy your car.

Somebody mentioned something about "taking on the highway without running in" Highways are one of the best places to run in any thing be it tires or the mechanical components. Just that one has to be sensible and not overdo any thing.

Last edited by khoj : 2nd June 2010 at 15:44.
Old 2nd June 2010, 17:16   #13
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
For any car the insurance policy must mention the following for the policy to be effective
1. Engine number
2. Chassis number and
3. Registration number of the car
The cover note should have these three mentioned mandatorily. I still haven't received my insurance papers. It's been almost 8 months. I still have only the cover note. I've also replaced my shattered windscreen (due to a stone) and got that covered by insurance.
Just ensure that your cover note has the above mentioned 3 parameters, which it actually does.
Old 2nd June 2010, 17:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

Go ahead have fun and enjoy your new wheels. What you have is enough, dont worry.
Old 2nd June 2010, 18:43   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamswift View Post
I'm sorry to say this but your statement above is outdated thinking. An automobile is meant to be driven. As long as the running-in instructions are followed, no harm will ensue when a new car is taken on a long drive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks