Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2010, 11:36   #1
BANNED

BLR-Madurai-Kanyakumari-Rameswaram-BLR

Hi

I'm planning to start my trip from Bangalore on this Saturday and wish to cover Madurai, Kanyakumari and Rameswaram

I've total 3 days on my disposal i.e. 5th-6th and 7th June.

Please advise me the best route, places to stay at all these three places, places to see.

Also where on the proposed route, I can get Pure Veg Food.

On this trip, we aree going to hire a Qualis/Tavera or Innova and alongwith me, my parents, wife, kids, sister and her kids will be accopmanying.

I need best advise from experts at the earliest.
Old 3rd June 2010, 12:40   #2
BHPian

Hi,
I can provide you details based on my research on Team-bhp last week, since I am planning a similar trip soon.

Your plan could be as follows :-

5th June : Start early (4 AM) from Bangalore. Reach Madurai by 9.30 or 10 AM.
Have Darshan and if you are okay for further travel, I would suggest you to go ahead to Rameshwaram. Say, if you start by 3 PM from Madurai, you should reach Rameshwaram by 8.30 or 9 PM. Stay overnight.

6th June : Have darshan at main temple and visit Dhanushkodi. So, by lunch time you should be free. After lunch (1 PM), leave for Kanyakumari. You should reach Kanyakumari by 7 or 8 PM. Stay overnight. (If you want to reach Kanyakumari before sunset, you may have to start by 11 AM (Max).

7th June : Visit temple, Vivekananda Rock (Temple) etc. Start by 2 PM for Bangalore, so that you reach home by midnight.

Please note : Since, you are travelling with parents & kids, the above tour might be too hectic for them. If you can extend the tour by 1 day, it would be better.
I will not suggest night drive, since you have parents & kids with you.

About routes :-
1) Bangalore - Madurai : Take NH7 - the best road.
2) Madurai - Rameshwaram : Via Paramgudi (NH49)
3) Rameshwaram - Kanyakumari : Coastal route (Scenic route)
4) Kanyakumari - Bangalore : NH 7 (quite possible to cover in 9.5 hrs).

Have a nice & safe trip !
Old 3rd June 2010, 13:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore-Madurai is a super-fast drive, 5-7 hours.
NH49 between Madurai and Rameswaram is in good condition.
The new East Coast Road from Ramanathapuram via Kizhakarai, Sikkal, Vembar till Tuticorin is superb, after which roads are OK via Tiruchendur. You can do Rameswaram-KK in 7-9 hours. Hardly a scenic route, since the coast is far from the road, landscaapes are boring with marshy brown vistas.
KK-Bangalore is also a super-fast road.

Veg food - A2B in Hosur-Krishnagiri & Dharmapuri-Toppur roads. No great places after that all the way till Madurai. Madurai city has lots of excellent eating places. The Rameswaram-KK sector has very poor facilities.
Old 4th June 2010, 11:19   #4
BANNED

Kumar

Thanks for the info. I've decided to start today afternoon. Can you list out Hotels in Salem, Madurai, Rameswaram and Kanyakumari.
Old 4th June 2010, 11:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

In Salem, go off the bypass (as you enter from Bangalore) towards 5-Roads junction, where there are lots of hotels. Pick and choose. One of my friends stayed at Hotel Salem Palace, found it reasonably priced and OK.

Madurai - lots of hotels near railway station.

Rameswaram - Hotel Royal Park, Saravana & TTDC's Tamil Nadu

Kanyakumari - Tri-Sea Lodge
Old 4th June 2010, 12:40   #6
BANNED

Kumar

How are these priced and whether these are good hotel for family consisting of Aged parents and kids.

Any contact numbers ?
Old 4th June 2010, 13:20   #7
Team-BHP Support

HVK,

For the KK-Rameshwaram route, Google maps shows one route via Tirunalveli, which also bypasses Tuticorin.
It also estimates lower distance.

The route: KK-Tirunelveli-Kurukuchalai (cuts NH45B here)-Kulathur-Sayalgudi-Ramnad.

How is this as a route?

Here is the link:
NH 49 to NH 7 - Google Maps
Old 4th June 2010, 14:06   #8
BHPian

Ampere, dont take the straight road after cutting NH45B in Kurukkuchalai when you drive from Tirunelveli. You will have to take the east coast road suggested by hvkumar Sir. In order to catch the east coast road at Tuticorin you can do the following

1. Drive upto Kurukkuchalai from Tirunelveli as suggested by Google maps. I am not sure about the road condition though from Tirunelveli to Kurukkuchalai

2. At Kurukkuchalai you will cut NH45B. Take a right turn towards Tuticorin on NH45B

3. After you drive for about 10~15kms on NH45B (I am not sure of the exact number) you will get a road cutting towards the left which is the East coast road. There was no markings here last time when I drove since road construction was going on. Take this left turn and you are now entering a beautiful road which goes along the coast (But you hardly see the sea at one or two locations at a distance)

From this point you can easily reach Rameswaram in 2 hours. Take care of fuel and food supplies as you cant expect anything on this coastal road.
Old 4th June 2010, 14:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

After the commissioning of the new East Coast Road between Ramanthapuram and Tutocrin, all other routes (including the earlier routes via Tirunelveli or Aruppukottai) have become irrelevant. The ECR is in good condition, there is absolutely no traffic and you can do the journey smoothly between KK and Rameswaram.
Old 4th June 2010, 14:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrographics View Post
Kumar

How are these priced and whether these are good hotel for family consisting of Aged parents and kids.

Any contact numbers ?
Yes, what I have suggested are decent family hotels. Unfortunately, I have no numbers, but you can walk in and get accommodation. There are lots of hotel choices in each of these places, so you won't be disappointed. The only problem, if any, may be getting rooms convenient for your parents - staircases, elevators, etc.
Old 8th June 2010, 21:54   #11
BANNED

Hi Kumar

I just returned from the trip and I was not able to locate East-Coast Road.

While returning from Rameswaram, one local guy told us to take left turn just after the railway crossing at Ramnathpuram which took us to Tuticorin but not on East-Coast road.
Old 8th June 2010, 22:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Kumar

While returning from Rameswaram, one local guy told us to take left turn just after the railway crossing at Ramnathpuram which took us to Tuticorin but not on East-Coast road.
Yes, that is the ECR via Kizhakarai, Sikkal, Vembar to Tuticorin and then via Tiruchendur to KK.
Old 9th June 2010, 15:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Kumar

Can you post a detailed route map, it will benefit others planning for the same trip.
Old 9th June 2010, 15:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

Rameswaram-Mandapam 19 kms-Ramanathapuram 39-turn left off NH49-Keezhakarai 17-Eravadi 11-Sikkal 10-Sayalgudi 25-Vembar 16-Tuticorin 25-Tuticorin Port 10-Tiruchendur 35-Kanyakumari 95
Old 9th June 2010, 18:07   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Rameswaram-Mandapam 19 kms-Ramanathapuram 39-turn left off NH49-Keezhakarai 17-Eravadi 11-Sikkal 10-Sayalgudi 25-Vembar 16-Tuticorin 25-Tuticorin Port 10-Tiruchendur 35-Kanyakumari 95
WOW! Very useful information there. I noted it and will put to use in next few days! Thanks sir.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks