Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2010, 12:21   #1
BHPian

How to reach Udyog Vihar V from Paschim Vihar?

Hey,
I start my summer internship in Gurgaon (Udyog Vihar) from Monday. And I have no idea on how to commute there everyday. Going on my bike is not feasible as my parents are against it.BTW I live in Paschim Vihar.
So anybody from this side of the city who can guide me about the cabs and chartered buses running on this route will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
PS: Mods I could really use some help on this so if possible don't delete this topic. And how about a section related to Car pooling on team-bhp. Thanks.
Old 11th June 2010, 12:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

When I was working in Udyog Vihar, the main means of transport was those 'share autos', you pay 5 rupees and get packed with other 12 people in a single auto rickshaw, that too antique pieces manufactured by Kerala Automobiles Ltd a decade back

I used to wonder how those pieces of metal still hold together as an automobile, every-time I traveled in that.

PS: There is a place called Kapashera Border, that was the most horrible place I saw in India - as far as cleanliness is concerned. (Year 2003)

Last edited by clevermax : 11th June 2010 at 12:27.
Old 11th June 2010, 14:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

You need to use your bike. Its simply insane to use anything else unless you havea car and lots of free time to spend in jams.

Of course, if company buses are available, they are your heaven!
Old 11th June 2010, 14:44   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
When I was working in Udyog Vihar, the main means of transport was those 'share autos', you pay 5 rupees and get packed with other 12 people in a single auto rickshaw, that too antique pieces manufactured by Kerala Automobiles Ltd a decade back

I used to wonder how those pieces of metal still hold together as an automobile, every-time I traveled in that.

PS: There is a place called Kapashera Border, that was the most horrible place I saw in India - as far as cleanliness is concerned. (Year 2003)
Thanks clevermax. Will need to google this border first and then find a way to reach there. Metro when will you come to Gurgaon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
You need to use your bike. Its simply insane to use anything else unless you havea car and lots of free time to spend in jams.

Of course, if company buses are available, they are your heaven!
Sir, if I find nothing else then will have to use my bike. But I was more interested in shared cabs as they are much more convenient. And the route from Paschim Vihar to gurgaon is kinda clean and with Narayna flyover open the traffic is not that bad as far as I know.
Old 11th June 2010, 14:53   #5
Team-BHP Support

Use the bike for the first couple of days. Go to office and join an already running cab / bus. If its a company that employs a lot of manpower, you will see a lot of notices inviting cab members on the notice board.

Else, hitch a ride.
Old 12th June 2010, 22:06   #6
BHPian

Thanks Eddy. That's what I will probably have to do. Its not a very big company so I doubt they have their own cabs/buses. Notice Board idea is good. Never thought even firms have such things. thought it was restricted to colleges. Thanks.

Are there no people from west Delhi who travel to Gurgaon reading this?
Old 13th June 2010, 01:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

@akshaymahajan,
Eddy's suggestion is spot on. There are several call centers, BPOs etc in that area and not all have them cabs, so you will find plenty of Chartered buses running these routes. Couple of suggestions/pointers though

1. Do not get on the elevated toll road whole you are riding your mobike, I know it is tempting and many people do this but then it is not allowed and I have also seen many a four/more wheeler drivers try to sort of run the 2 wheelers off the toll road especially during the morning rush hour.

2. While driving on the ring road towards Dhaula Kuan expect to see a daily jam on the Naraina flyover stretching all the way up to the redlight intersection (now closed) near the turn off to the military hospital. This jam is on account of the countless vehicles that come from Janakpuri side and on account of the closed red light take the U turn towards Dhaulakuan and then quite a few of them want to take a left at the now closed red light junction so between the U turn and the closed lights it is a continuous right lane to left lane flow of vehicles that mixes up with the vehicles coming down the Naraina flyover and the result is an absolute mess.

If you plan on using your bike you could look at using the road from peeragarhi to Vikas puri to janakpuri over the Jank setu and on thru Delhi cantt to Domestic airport on to Gurgaon. There is another road from Vikas puri to Pankha road to Prahlad pur/nagar to Dwarka to International airport to Centaur hotel right turn to kapashera border and on to the back side of Udyog vihar but I have not used this road for almost a decade now and there could be changes due to the ongoing expansion of the International airport.

I did use the first option a fortnight ago when I picked up a friend from Rohini and drove him to the Domestic airport and though there was morning traffic on these roads we still made it to the terminal in about 40 minutes in a car, so it should be quicker on a bike.

Last edited by khoj : 13th June 2010 at 01:58.
Old 13th June 2010, 12:06   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
@akshaymahajan,
Eddy's suggestion is spot on. There are several call centers, BPOs etc in that area and not all have them cabs, so you will find plenty of Chartered buses running these routes. Couple of suggestions/pointers though

1. Do not get on the elevated toll road whole you are riding your mobike, I know it is tempting and many people do this but then it is not allowed and I have also seen many a four/more wheeler drivers try to sort of run the 2 wheelers off the toll road especially during the morning rush hour.

2. While driving on the ring road towards Dhaula Kuan expect to see a daily jam on the Naraina flyover stretching all the way up to the redlight intersection (now closed) near the turn off to the military hospital. This jam is on account of the countless vehicles that come from Janakpuri side and on account of the closed red light take the U turn towards Dhaulakuan and then quite a few of them want to take a left at the now closed red light junction so between the U turn and the closed lights it is a continuous right lane to left lane flow of vehicles that mixes up with the vehicles coming down the Naraina flyover and the result is an absolute mess.

If you plan on using your bike you could look at using the road from peeragarhi to Vikas puri to janakpuri over the Jank setu and on thru Delhi cantt to Domestic airport on to Gurgaon. There is another road from Vikas puri to Pankha road to Prahlad pur/nagar to Dwarka to International airport to Centaur hotel right turn to kapashera border and on to the back side of Udyog vihar but I have not used this road for almost a decade now and there could be changes due to the ongoing expansion of the International airport.

I did use the first option a fortnight ago when I picked up a friend from Rohini and drove him to the Domestic airport and though there was morning traffic on these roads we still made it to the terminal in about 40 minutes in a car, so it should be quicker on a bike.
Thanks a lot for your advice. Point noted. Will stay on the road below. And yes I plan to use the Paschim Vihar-Janak Puri-Delhi Cant route. Not familiar with Dwarka at all so I avoid that route as much as possible. Is it quicker than the other route? Then it may be worth a shot.
Thanks.
Old 13th June 2010, 12:17   #9

Traveling to Gurgaon

I too have to travel to DLF phase III everyday from Subash Nagar. Please let me know if you find a pooled cab at least for the morning.
Old 13th June 2010, 12:21   #10
Team-BHP Support

It definitely is quicker. PM me and I can explain a quicker route to UV. I travel from Dwarka to Gurgaon.
Old 13th June 2010, 12:40   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeetstoic View Post
I too have to travel to DLF phase III everyday from Subash Nagar. Please let me know if you find a pooled cab at least for the morning.
Will surely do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
It definitely is quicker. PM me and I can explain a quicker route to UV. I travel from Dwarka to Gurgaon.
Thanks. Let me get used to Gurgaon a little, will contact you soon.
Old 14th June 2010, 01:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its not allowed but its patently stupid to go on the service road - the moron who made the rule never actually used it himself.

Whats critical as a motorcyclist is to be PARANOID and stick to the leftmost lane. Personally, now I stick to the space to the left of the leftmost lane - the space fit enough for a bike. I very very very rarely come into the 3rd lane, forget intruding into the 2nd/1st lanes.

do that and you should be SAFE!
Old 14th June 2010, 01:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

Convincing your parents to take the bike is the best idea. I've only worked in UV since last 8 years and have been traveling in my car itself seldom using the company transport.

It would be tough initially but they would be glad to see you spending more time at home when you commute by bike.

OT - Where would you be doing the interns??
Old 14th June 2010, 10:06   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Its not allowed but its patently stupid to go on the service road - the moron who made the rule never actually used it himself.

Whats critical as a motorcyclist is to be PARANOID and stick to the leftmost lane. Personally, now I stick to the space to the left of the leftmost lane - the space fit enough for a bike. I very very very rarely come into the 3rd lane, forget intruding into the 2nd/1st lanes.

do that and you should be SAFE!
Thank You. Will see the traffic around and choose the better suited option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
Convincing your parents to take the bike is the best idea. I've only worked in UV since last 8 years and have been traveling in my car itself seldom using the company transport.

It would be tough initially but they would be glad to see you spending more time at home when you commute by bike.

OT - Where would you be doing the interns??
Its no point convincing parents. They say its not safe and to some extent I agree. People on the expressway do drive like maniacs, not all but a lot. And it is so hot, I rather find a cab service ASAP.
Am doing my internship in Micromax Informatics Ltd. Am off now. Thanks everyone for your guidance. Appreciated.
Old 14th June 2010, 10:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

Seriously - use the route for yourself sensibly in the leftmost lane then make up your mind. Its MUCH safer than you think.

Ofcourse, using the rightmost 2 lanes is a deathwish.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks