Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2016, 20:11   #391
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: On Bypassing Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Problem with Jalahalii route is sometimes the jams extend even till the BEL circle (a friend mentioned earlier this week he was stuck there for an hour!)
Blame that entirely on the demolition drive by BBMP as they had close the main road leading to Vidyaranyapura via Bommasandra and hence each one heading to Vidyaranyapura was hence taking Ramachandrapura road via Jalahalli to reach their destinations.

The same week, It took me 50 minutes for the first 45 kms and 1 hour for the last 4 kilometers to home.

I am not sure what route are you referring to when you say Jalahalli? Is that the one that connects Gangamma Circle to Jalahalli Cross (NH4)? If so, this one better be avoid all the times barring early mornings and noons.

Otherwise, taking ORR - Jalahalli - Platinum City route to reach NH4/Tumkur Road is always a better option. I do that every day now.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 11:04   #392
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I am not sure what route are you referring to when you say Jalahalli? Is that the one that connects Gangamma Circle to Jalahalli Cross (NH4)? If so, this one better be avoid all the times barring early mornings and noons.
Yes I meant the Gangamma circle-Ayyappan temple-Tumkur Road. Crossing the BEL circle is one thing but later, it gets narrow near HMT Layout, widens out near the Air force campus, narrows down again and when you get near the Tumkur road junction, too much of mess and takes a long time to make a right turn.

Quote:
Otherwise, taking ORR - Jalahalli - Platinum City route to reach NH4/Tumkur Road is always a better option.
How does one take this route ?

I was wondering if there is some route behind one of the Metro stations on Tumkur Road (Dasarahalli ?) where there is a newish BMTC Bus depot ? I took some small lanes around that place where there seemed to be some army/defence areas and most lanes had stones implanted on the road like pillars to prevent larger vehicles from using them and only 2 wheelers could use them, and I was on the scooter so it was a good way to escape the traffic on the other roads.
Old 30th August 2016, 11:26   #393
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Yes I meant the Gangamma circle-Ayyappan temple-Tumkur Road.
That one better be avoided. I dont recall if I have taken that road in the recent past. The stretch nearing the intersection with NH4 is a royal mess, thanks to a Bus stop right there where you will find at least 4 buses parked on a narrow road where route originates!

Quote:
Crossing the BEL circle is one thing but later, it gets narrow near HMT Layout, widens out near the Air force campus, narrows down again and when you get near the Tumkur road junction, too much of mess and takes a long time to make a right turn.
Crossing BEL circle if coming from ORR is not as big an affair as crossing Hebbal and Stretch from Gangenahalli to Mekhri and then the crawl after IISC till one gets down at Yeshwantpur. Hebbal today is the mother of all jams, especially if you are taking the flyover towards city side. It is an easy 20 minute affair.

Then you totally ignore the Goreguntepalya Junction heading north where traffic on Tumkur road start piling up right from RNS apartments.

If you factor these very "regular" bottlenecks, you are better off avoiding this route altogether. After all, it is with a lot of trial and error in the past 10 years that I have finally settled with the Platinum city route. At least things keep moving at good pace if not fast.

Quote:
How does one take this route ?
Quote:
I was wondering if there is some route behind one of the Metro stations on Tumkur Road (Dasarahalli ?) where there is a newish BMTC Bus depot ? I took some small lanes around that place where there seemed to be some army/defence areas and most lanes had stones implanted on the road like pillars to prevent larger vehicles from using them and only 2 wheelers could use them, and I was on the scooter so it was a good way to escape the traffic on the other roads.
Nope, that is indeed not the one as that is right behind Dasarahalli Station. This is one behind Peenya Metro Station and exactly where NBTL starts. What you are referring to is a station ahead of Peenya.

When entering Bangalore from Tumkur Side:
  • Get down at NBTL, stay right, Make U-Turn at the very first traffic Signal here as if you are again heading back towards Tumkur

• After U-Turn, don't take the elevated section on NBTL and instead remain on the main road, and hit another signal right beneath NBTL and now perform a U-turn right onto the service lane

• Drive few hundred meters on this service lane, pass Peenya Metro Station, and soon after the Metro, turn left - You are now on Platinum City Road

• Keep driving on this road following the traffic for the next 3 kilometers where you will find at least 50% of traffic turning right including trucks - Turn right here

• Follow this road along with the traffic and you will hit ORR bypassing BEL circle traffic - All in under 15 minutes on regular times and around 20 minutes during peak traffic but not more

Here's the route link for your reference: From Tumkur Road to ORR bypassing Railway crossing

It was the first time I noticed Flybus from Mysore to KIAL on this route last week and realised how this has now become the most favorite route to bypass a lot of traffic on other routes.

When exiting Bangalore from Airport Road for Tumkur Road
  • Turn right below Hebbal flyover, marked for Tumkur

• Pass a flyover (Big Bazaar on your right)

• Pass a Railway Over Bridge

• Soon after the ROB, exit main road and take service road, Ignore the underpass ahead

• Atop the underpass, pass straight again onto the service lane from the 1st traffic signal

• Hit the second traffic light on the service lane (BEL Circle) and then turn right

• Drive for not less than 500 meters and you will notice a junction where there are cops on duty and a lot of signage for petty Industries on a median, take left here

• You are now on HMT road where you pass a round about, followed by HMT Theatre on the right and then HMT Grounds on the left to finally hit a T Junction where you take left for platinum city road

• One road all the way till you again hit Peenya Metro where you turn left (No right here as it is a service lane) for Bangalore, take -U at Goreguntepalya and the head off to Tumkur or NICE road based on your destination

23 Minutes for 10.5 Kilometers even at this hour from Hebbal till you get onto NBTL. I can easily say taking Hebbal - Mekhri - IISc - Yeshwantpur Metro - Tumkur Road will not be any faster than this at all.

Last edited by paragsachania : 30th August 2016 at 11:29.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 13:04   #394
Distinguished - BHPian

To reach Sira last Saturday late evening, and looking at traffic at CMTRI Junction, I took the Yelahanka - Doddaballapur - Dabaspet route to reach NH4 and here are the updates:
  • Googlemaps initially calculated 1h15m for a distance of 57 Kms from Yelahanka to Dabaspet but the actual time taken was one hour mainly because my progress got faster after Rajankunte Cross

• 4 lane work is in progress till Doddaballapura and as well from Doddaballapura till Dabaspet. However, the progress is more for the first part.

• The ROB work at Doddaballapura is in full swing but would take at least another 6 months before its ready to roll

• Doddaballapura - Dabaspet has road widening in progress at many places, had developed potholes that is difficult to avoid at nights (Days should be fine)

• There are heaps of sand at many locations which has reduced the width of the road in these sections

• Overall, traffic was thick this time as I could notice quite a few TN Private cars as well who may be taking the Hosur - Bagalur route to get onto NH4 avoiding the TN-KA border due to the recent heat

Last edited by paragsachania : 26th September 2016 at 13:12.
Old 12th October 2016, 12:25   #395
Senior - BHPian

Traveled last weekend.

From Devanahalli - Hoskote - Doddadunasandra

Roads are in good condition

Doddadunasandra - Chikka tirupathi.

Newly laid with reflectors very useful in the night time.

Chikka tirupathi - Seegapura - Boopalapuram

Newly tarred road all pot holes are completely gone.

Boopalapuram - Baglur - Hosur.

Good roads throughout.
Baglur town narrow and pot holes occasionally

Last edited by gajadonga : 12th October 2016 at 12:27.
gajadonga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 13:54   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its about 60km from Devanahalli till you touch down the 4-lane at Nelamangala. You should be able to cover Devanahalli-Doddaballapur section in about half an hour. Its the next section which can cause the delay. In about 90 minutes you should be able to cover the distance (of course subject to conditions).
Bumping up an old thread to find out the latest update on the Hyderabad - Mysore route. I would be leaving by 5:30 am in the morning.
Please find my queries as follows i.e.
1. Is this https://goo.gl/maps/T6P9mxb5Hut the best route as on date. Would it take around 11 hours?
2. Would this route be preferred on the way back as well.
3. Any other suggestions/feedback?

I would greatly appreciate responses to the same.
Old 1st December 2016, 14:44   #397
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkbehera View Post
1. Is this https://goo.gl/maps/T6P9mxb5Hut the best route as on date. Would it take around 11 hours?
Yes indeed. My friend who does Thrissur - Bhopal takes this road regularly to bypass Bangalore for Hyderabad route and has been totally satisfied with this.

Except may be passing Nelemangala town which might take 10-15 minutes you are all good.
Quote:
2. Would this route be preferred on the way back as well.
If onward works well, return should be no problem with this.

The advantage here is that you don't even come an closer to Bangalore and touch HYD Highway at Devanahalli only.

Quote:
Remember the via Points:

Hyderabad - Devanahalli - Doddaballapura - Nelamangala - Nelligere/Bellur Cross - Nagamangala - Pandavapura - Srirangatapattana - Mysore

Easier to plot your route if you know what places you would pass than to simply reply on maps.

Also:

Devanahalli (turn off from Hyderabad Highway) - Doddaballapur - Nelemangala will be 2 lane, single carriageway - 52 Kms (No good places to stop by)

Again, Nelligere/Bellur Cross - Srirangapattana will be 2 lane single carriageway - 65 Kms (No good places to stop by)

Rest all is dual carriageway with median.

So plan your breaks accordingly.

Last edited by paragsachania : 1st December 2016 at 14:49.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 15:02   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkbehera View Post
Bumping up an old thread to find out the latest update on the Hyderabad - Mysore route.
Please find my queries as follows i.e.

I would greatly appreciate responses to the same.
This is not a good time as it is a sugarcane harvest season plus road work is in progress at random locations on the route you have selected. I have driven a lot in past 2-3 weeks around Mysore, Mandya and Kunigal and it can be a pain to drive in the night. My suggestion will be, Chickballapur-Doddaballapur-Dabaspete-Magadi-Ramanagar and continue on SH275 to reach Mysore. This will be the shortest route compared to what is shown in the map. Since you will reach Bangalore by evening, just take a break around Dabaspete and stick to Dabaspete-Magadi-Ramanagara road.
Attached Thumbnails
On Bypassing Bangalore-chickballapur_mysore.jpg  

Last edited by deehunk : 1st December 2016 at 15:09.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 15:15   #399
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I have driven a lot in past 2-3 weeks around Mysore, Mandya and Kunigal and it can be a pain to drive in the night.
In that case, can't he still hit Gudemaranahalli on Bangalore-Mangalore road via Doddaballapur - Nelemangala?

I have driven Dabaspet - Shivagange - Gudemaranahalli last year and there was massive work in progress post Shivagange all the way till Gudemaranahalli.

And of course, work is still in Progress between Doddaballapura to Dabaspet as Its only a month since I drove from Yelahanka to Sira via Dabaspet.

Regarding Sugarcane harvest season - I have to agree, I missed that. There would be a lot of truck and tractors around Pandavapura where the factory is and at night overtaking can be slower.

Magadi - Ramanagara might make better sense then as you get 4 lane from Ramanagara all the way to Mysore.

Last edited by paragsachania : 1st December 2016 at 15:16.
Old 1st December 2016, 15:18   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
This is not a good time as it is a sugarcane harvest season plus road work is in progress at random locations on the route you have selected.
Thanks for the feedback. I would be travelling in mid January 2017.

Last edited by dpkbehera : 1st December 2016 at 15:23.
Old 1st December 2016, 15:39   #401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In that case, can't he still hit Gudemaranahalli on Bangalore-Mangalore road via Doddaballapur - Nelemangala?

Magadi - Ramanagara might make better sense then as you get 4 lane from Ramanagara all the way to Mysore.
No parag, for a newcomer the Doddaballapur-Nelamangala road can be a problem with no proper markings till Madure. The network connectivity is not good upto Mylanahalli if he wants to use maps, whereas the situation is better from Dabaspete to Magadi.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2016, 13:39   #402
Senior - BHPian

Traveled last week.

While going took the Devanahalli - Budigere- Whitefield-Varthur - Sarjapur - Bagalur - Hosur route.

Devanahalli - Whitefield.

Roads are in good condition.

Varthur - Sarjapur.

Potholes and huge speed breakers.
The roads close to Sarjapur is broken up.

Sarjapur-Bagalur-Hosur is in better shape.

RETURN

Hosur - Chikkatirupathi - Hoskote - Devanahalli.

Roads are in good condition throughout.
gajadonga is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2016, 21:51   #403

Hi all. I am planning to drive from Hyderabad to Kerala next week. I am planning to take north-south highway till Salem, then take NH47 to CBE - Palghat - Thrissur - Kochi - Allepey - Tiruvalla.

What is the best way to bypass Bangalore? I plan to leave Hyderabad at 5:30 am and reach Salem by evening 6:30 - 7 and do an overnight halt. Is this a do-able journey in the time given -- I prefer to drive only during daylight hours.
Old 11th December 2016, 22:30   #404
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gongura View Post
What is the best way to bypass Bangalore? I plan to leave Hyderabad at 5:30 am and reach Salem by evening 6:30 - 7 and do an overnight halt. Is this a do-able journey in the time given -- I prefer to drive only during daylight hours.
Between 12:30/1:30PM you will be reaching Hebbal around which traffic should be considerably lower after the peak hours.

After this, you can actually consider taking the Outer Ring Road via Nagawara - KR Puram - Agara - Silkboard and then turn left here to take the BETL elevated road to head towards Hosur.

This whole affair from Hebbal to Silkboard won't cost you more than 1H15M max despite of the snarls anywhere in between.

After Silkboard you will anyway climb the elevated section and descend at Huskur Gate and continue on the main highway leading to Hosur.

I would say avoid the above route between 0800-1200 and 1700-2100.

Rest of the time, its not a bad idea to use this to bypass Bangalore.

If not this, your best bet is gajadonda's route above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
While going took the Devanahalli - Budigere- Whitefield-Varthur - Sarjapur - Bagalur - Hosur route.

And given the current route conditions in his update and the time of the day you will hit Bangalore, you can safely take the outer ring road.

Last edited by paragsachania : 11th December 2016 at 22:31.
Old 11th December 2016, 22:42   #405
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If not this, your best bet is gajadonda's route above:
Varthur road is not worth it. Best is 207 from Devanahalli all the way to Hosur if there is no construction happening. If you see @gajadonga was not happy with Varthur road and hence stuck to the regular 207 for his return.

90km of Devanahalli to Hosur can be done under 2 hours deterministically via 207.

Last edited by ampere : 11th December 2016 at 22:48.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed