Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2019, 11:16   #496
Senior - BHPian

Had traveled from Devanahalli to Hosur 2 weeks back.

From Hoskote to Tirumalasettyhalli is not that good and we lose time in this stretch. Rest of the roads are manageable. I usually used to drive this stretch in the night and it was around 1.15mins.
Last time it took 2 hrs and I dove late in the evening with traffic
Old 27th May 2019, 08:12   #497
Senior - BHPian

Re: On Bypassing Bangalore

Drove via Dabaspete-Doddaballapura-Yelahanka yesterday on my way back from Kollur.

- Dabaspete-Doddaballapura: Mix of single and dual carriageway. Apparently there have been efforts to widen this to completely dual/4 lane, but seems mostly abandoned now. This has resulted in sections where both directions use the same carriageway. Traffic volume was much lesser than what I expected, but still could manage a good clip.

Doddaballapura-Yelahanka: Nice dual carriageway road with one/two points at the beginning where work is not complete. There is a toll booth about half way down (Rs. 17 one-way, no Fastag). Google maps suggested exiting this road at Rajanukunte and joining NH 7 at Sonnapanahalli - this is a practically empty road that goes through vineyards.

From Tumkur to Marathahalli this was showing about 30 km longer but only 20 minutes extra driving time - which I thought is great because it has always been frustrating to enter Bangalore via Nelamangala.

The only problem could be passing through Doddaballapura town on a weekday.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2019, 22:32   #498

I am planning to travel from Erode to Hyderabad in three weeks time for a conference. I am looking for ways to avoid Bangalore traffic. What do you feel about Krishnagiri, Kuppam, Bangarupet, Kolar, Bagepalli? Any alternative suggestions? Let me know if you need further details.
Old 2nd June 2019, 09:31   #499
Senior - BHPian

The best route will be via Bangalore, you can take either of these routes, Hosur-Sarjapura-Hoskote-Devanahalli-Chikkaballapura or NICE Road(PES College exit)-ORR-Goraguntepalya-Hebbal-Devanahalli-Chikkaballapura.

Last edited by deehunk : 2nd June 2019 at 09:32.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2019, 11:48   #500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
What do you feel about Krishnagiri, Kuppam, Bangarupet, Kolar, Bagepalli?
That probably is unnecessarily circuitous. Depending on your day/time of travel you could try any of Hosur-BETL-Silk Board-ORR-Hebbal-Devanahalli or Hosur-Hoskote-Devanahalli (NH 207). You can simply follow Google Maps, with the caveat that it doesn't capture the frustration of driving through stop-and-go traffic and terrible road sense.

The latter also avoids three tolls.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2019, 12:18   #501
BANNED

What's the best route to by-pass Bangalore traffic when driving from Mangalore to Hyderabad via Bangalore? Will be starting from Mangalore at 5 am.

Doing a Mangalore to Bangalore & Bangalore to Hyderabad with a short break at Bangalore. Any suggestions for a route to avoid the dreaded Bangalore traffic?
Old 2nd June 2019, 12:24   #502
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to travel from Erode to Hyderabad in three weeks time for a conference. I am looking for ways to avoid Bangalore traffic. What do you feel about Krishnagiri, Kuppam, Bangarupet, Kolar, Bagepalli? Any alternative suggestions? Let me know if you need further details.

If feasible, just plan in such a way that you hit Bangalore outskirts (meaning attibelle toll) around 12pm. Should be able to get through the city via Sarjapur Hoskote or silk board Orr without too much difficulty.
Old 2nd June 2019, 12:24   #503
Senior - BHPian

Anurag, the best options are driving from Dobbespet to Devanahalli via Doddaballapura or to Penukonda via Koratagere, Madhugiri and Madakasira.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2019, 18:09   #504
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
What's the best route to by-pass Bangalore traffic when driving from Mangalore to Hyderabad via Bangalore? Will be starting from Mangalore at 5 am.
You can bypass using Nelamangala Doddaballapur Devanahalli option. That's the easiest and quickest.

Nelamangala Doddaballapur is good as I regularly do Rajankunte Nelamangala from my home in Yelahanka.

Today we drove for 6 kms onto Doddaballapur Devanahalli road and realised it's not bad that anyone should advise against it.

So ideally the shortest route to get onto Hyderabad road would be this keeping in mind that you want to avoid Bangalore.

There are other options like the ones deehunk suggests that you can still try. The internal routes via Madhugiri Pavagada are simply fantastic.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2019, 19:06   #505
Senior - BHPian

Anurag, if you start at 5am, you will reach Dobbespet probably around 11am. As parag mentioned, roads via Madhugiri and Pavagada/Madakasira is very good, so plan for a break near Dobbespet.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 20:15   #506

Thank you Deehunk, Binand and Rajeevraj. I believe I should reach Bangalore comfortably by around 12 noon.
I did look at taking the NICE road and then linking up with NH 44 at Hebbal, but assumed Madavara-Yeswantpur may be very crowded; same issue with ORR on the east via Marahathahalli.
I travelled from Hyd to Erode last year and took the ORR route and the bumper to bumper traffic was maddening. On the contrary, I travelled through Kuppam KGF a decade or so back and despite it being a two lane road, the travel was scenic and enjoyable. Hence the question.
By the way, I was talking to a trucker the other day who makes regular trips between Erode and Hyd and he suggested Hosur - Malur - Hoskote - Devanahalli.
What I am looking for is smooth roads with lesser traffic. Is that possible or would you gentlemen still recommend passing through the city?
Your input is much appreciated.
Old 6th June 2019, 21:38   #507
BHPian

Quote:
t being a two lane road, the travel was scenic and enjoyable. Hence the question.
By the way, I was talking to a trucker the other day who makes regular trips between Erode and Hyd and he suggested Hosur - Malur - Hoskote - Devanahalli.
What I am looking for is smooth roads with lesser traffic. Is that possible or would you gentlemen still recommend passing through the city?
Your input is much appreciated.

That is decent all through except for about 3-4 kms around Jadigenahalli ( between Malur and Hoskote ). Hosur - Bagalur - Alambadi - Chikkatirupathi - Tirumalashettihalli Cross - Hoskote - Devanahalli is what you need, no need to go to Malur. You will pass through numerous villages - but won't get stuck anywhere.
Old 6th June 2019, 22:02   #508
Senior - BHPian

This is a never ending road without any decent break points. The truck traffic is also high, my suggestion is exit NICE Road near PESIT, take the ORR from Nayandahalli to Goraguntepalya( should be about (20-25minutes), then GG Palya to Hebbal should take you around 30 minutes. I estimate that you save more than a hour by taking this route.
Old 7th June 2019, 17:00   #509

Thank you airguitar and deehunk. Both suggestions seem doable. As is my wont, I think I may go up one way and come the other. I hope I am able to give a feedback once the trip is complete. Cheers!
knightowl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 17:46   #510
Senior - BHPian

Happy motoring knightowl!, my search for a place after retirement continues, of late I have started a liking for Tumkur. I have tried around 5 routes to reach Tumkur from Nelamangala. I have shared the route details here if somebody wants to bypass Bangalore or avoid standing in long queues on weekends either at Dobbespet or Nelamangala. The options are
  1. Nelamangala-Visweswarapura-Gubbi Goodu Resort-Geddalahalli-Tonachinakoppe-T Begur, this is just before the Kulumepalya Toll Plaza. Initially roads are narrow but later wide enough for cars.
  2. Nelamangala-Banawadi-Shivagange-Dobbespet, road condition is good between Shivagange and Banawadi.
  3. Nelamangala-Banawadi-Shivagange-Honnudike-Goolur-Tumkur, good roads till Shivagange, road work in progress around Shivagange but doable.
  4. Tumkur-Goolur-Nagavalli-Hebbur-Kunigal, newly laid road, doable in 40 minutes, useful for someone traveling towards Hassan, Mangalore or Mysore and wants to avoid Bangalore.

Last edited by deehunk : 7th June 2019 at 17:50.

Most Viewed