Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2010, 13:30   #1
Team-BHP Support

On Bypassing Bangalore

Hi,

I have seen lots of comments and posts about bypassing various cities.
HVK has put excellent comments about many of them. But I felt one collated thread for each city would be very useful.

Hence starting this one for Bangalore.

Attached is the link for the basic road diagram of highways criss-crossing Bangalore City.
(Very basic for understanding, I have not marked the smaller roads like NH207 etc)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1906455

There many entry and exit points, where I think folks can contribute, relate experiences and update status. It can be a simple nomenclature of entry and exit descriptions eg (NH7-Hyd-Entry, NH7-Hosur-Exit etc)

Attached is HVK's link on how to bypass Bangalore : NH7-Hyd-Entry to NH7-Hosur-Exit.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1711006

Folks,

Please add to what you know is the best. The most important ones bypass requirements which I can think about are the following:

1. Mysore-Road-Entry + NH7-Hosur-Exit
2. Mysore-Road-Entry + NH7-Hyd-Exit
3. NH4-Tum-Entry-NH7-Hyd-Exit
4. NH209-Kanakpura-Entry-NH4-Tumkur-exit

And the list continues. Please do post your comments. Also let me know, if you think, its too small an information to have it as a thread.

Last edited by ampere : 21st June 2010 at 13:31.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2010, 14:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

Bypassing Bombay

When you are coming from the South side - NH4 (Pune), Pune Expressway or NH17 (Goa), you have 2 choices to o on to NH3 (Nashik/Agra) or NH8 (Ahmedabad/Delhi).

The longer, but preferred (for its better roads and simpler route) is via New Bombay, Mulund & Thane, which I have described below:

http://groups.google.com/group/hvkum...via-new-bombay

The alternative is to come via Taloja, Mumbra and Kalway to Thane. That is also described below:

http://groups.google.com/group/hvkum...a---north-side

Nowadays, the MUmbra Bypass, as the second route is called, is in good condition but now that the rains have started, expect the road to fall apart!
Old 21st June 2010, 15:33   #3
Team-BHP Support

NH4-Tumkur-Entry : NH7-Hyd-Exit; NH4-Hoskote Exit

- Start at Tumkur drive till Dobas Pet (Its 2KM from Kamat).
(This is the Kamat you will encounter on the left while driving towards Bangalore)

- Turn left towards Dodaballapur (NH207 starts) (~30KM)

- NH207 from Dobaspet to Dodaballapur is very nice and you can easily hit 80-100. There is hardly any traffic.

- At Dodbellapur continue on NH207 proceeds towards Devanahalli where you would NH7 and then continue.

- If you want to go towards Nh4 at Hoskote, continue on 207 to hit Hoskote via Budigere.

- Then continue on NH4
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2010, 18:41   #4
Team-BHP Support

NH4-Hoskote-Entry : SH17-Mysore-Exit / NH209-Kanakpura-Exit

1. Drive to Kolar
2. Turn towards Malur
3. Drive down till Bagalur (TN State Highway)

Option I
4. Take NH207 to Hosur
5. Take NH7 till E-City
6. Enter NICE road
7. Exit at Mysore Road or NH209 (Kanakpura road) as desired

Option II
4. Take NH207 Sarjapur
5. At Sarjapur turn to Atibele
6. Take NH7 to NICE road entry
7. Exit at Mysore Road or NH209 (Kanakpura road) as desired
Old 21st June 2010, 19:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

Good initiative. Possibly we can add for other cities too.

Thanks for bringing such thread.

Chennai,
One can bypass Chennai through the new bypass which is under construction. The bypass starts from Tambaram and ends at Redhills.

If you are coming from Poonamalle, then take the left after the Vaanagaram which leads to Ambattur. Keep continuing till the end along the road and you will be in Redhills. Else you can follow any NP lorry

MODS: Can we change the title to On bypassing major cities in India?
@ampere: Hope you don't mind.

Last edited by mjothi : 21st June 2010 at 19:12.
Old 21st June 2010, 19:19   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Good initiative. Possibly we can add for other cities too.

Thanks for bringing such thread.

Chennai,
One can bypass Chennai through the new bypass which is under construction. The bypass starts from Tambaram and ends at Redhills.

If you are coming from Poonamalle, then take the left after the Vaanagaram which leads to Ambattur. Keep continuing till the end along the road and you will be in Redhills. Else you can follow any NP lorry

MODS: Can we change the title to On bypassing major cities in India?
@ampere: Hope you don't mind.
Yes we can change the title for sure. I initially thought there would be lots of roads for each citiy. Hence I thought we may one thread for every city.

But looks like, we should be able to manage in one thread.
One stop solution for all cities and road status updates on bypasses.

Mods, Please change the heading of the thread to: "On bypassing major cities in India" (As Mjothi suggested)

Last edited by ampere : 21st June 2010 at 19:20.
Old 21st June 2010, 19:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Maybe this can be merged with an earlier thread that I had started on the same subject:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...g-roads-2.html
Old 22nd June 2010, 10:26   #8
Team-BHP Support

SH17-Mysore-Entry : NH7-Hyd-Exit

Multiple options exist. Cannot say which one is the best.

Option I
1. Drive till NICE road
2. Take left; Drive till NICE road Tumkur road exit
3. Drive towards Tumkur on NH4 till Dobbaspet
4. Take NH207 on right and drive till Devanahalli
5. Get on NH7 and drive to HYD

Very Long but avoids every thing. An extra distance of 60Km I think as per my Google map analysis

Option II
1. Drive till NICE road
2. Take left and drive till Tumkur road exit
3. Drive towards Bangalore.
4. Get on ORR
5. Exit at Hebbal on NH7 and continue

This option though lowest on distance, passes through one of the worst stretches on the ORR section. Has a railway crossing in between which gets really choked.

Option III
1. Drive till NICE road
2. Take left Drive till NICE road Tumkur road exit
3. Drive towards Nelamangala
4. Get on the SH to Dodaballapur (SH74 as per Google maps)
5. Take NH207 and exit at Devanahalli
6. Continue on NH7

I have no idea about this option. Just heard from others. Can any one please confirm on this? If the SH74 as mentioned in Google Maps is good shape, then according to me, this seems to be the best choice in terms of distance versus congestion trade-off. One does not need to drive till Dobbaspet to get on NH207.
Old 22nd June 2010, 11:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

I think Option III looks to be the best option to bypass from Mysore road to Hyderabad exit.One more option I saw in the Google map is while coming from Hyderabad after Yelhanka police station Take the right to enter Dodballapur road.
Then turn left towards Jalahalli road and enter on to the Tumkur road
Then left turn towards nice road from the Tumkur road to exit at Mysore road near Kengeri.
From above thread I could make out that the Hebbal to Tumkur ORR stretch is bad with traffic and level crossings.

Last edited by gajadonga : 22nd June 2010 at 11:04.
Old 22nd June 2010, 11:17   #10
Team-BHP Support

SH17-Mysore-Entry : NH7-Hyd-Exit : Option IV

I did look at that option. But did not to put it initially. The issue is, will folks who know nothing about Bangalore
be able to spot this route? But if they know about it, or if they have a GPS then yes its very good option.

Here is the break-up.

Option IV

1. Drive till NICE road
3. Turn right towards Bangalore and drive till Jallahali cross
4. Turn left to on to the Jalahalli road and Drive all the way till Yelahanka via Vidyaranyapura. The road will hit Dodaballapur main road (near Sheshadripuram school)
5. At the Dodaballapur main road (at Yelahanka) turn right and the police station signal take left. Continue there on to NH7.

Last edited by ampere : 22nd June 2010 at 11:19.
Old 22nd June 2010, 15:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

That is perfect Ampere and the landmarks for turning for option IV is really helpful.
Old 22nd June 2010, 16:21   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Option IV
1. Drive till NICE road
3. Turn right towards Bangalore and drive till Jallahali cross
4. Turn left to on to the Jalahalli road and Drive all the way till Yelahanka via Vidyaranyapura. The road will hit Dodaballapur main road (near Sheshadripuram school)
5. At the Dodaballapur main road (at Yelahanka) turn right and the police station signal take left. Continue there on to NH7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
That is perfect Ampere and the landmarks for turning for option IV is really helpful.
Please note this change in more or less a month from now - on exit from NICE road towards bangalore, take care NOT to enter dedicated toll road ( from Nelamangala to Goraguntepalya ) for which a toll booth is provided at NICE road exit. One would not be able to take left at jalahalli cross ( towards yelahanka ) if toll road is chosen. If toll road is chosen, ORR - hebbal route is the only option.
Old 22nd June 2010, 17:47   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
Please note this change in more or less a month from now - on exit from NICE road towards bangalore, take care NOT to enter dedicated toll road ( from Nelamangala to Goraguntepalya ) for which a toll booth is provided at NICE road exit. One would not be able to take left at jalahalli cross ( towards yelahanka ) if toll road is chosen. If toll road is chosen, ORR - hebbal route is the only option.
Hey thanks for that update. Do we have a leg, we can switch from NICE to the toll road. Is that construction over?
Old 22nd June 2010, 18:01   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Do we have a leg, we can switch from NICE to the toll road. Is that construction over?
No, it is mandatory to get down to Tumkur road to access a single toll booth to enter the toll road. Toll booth is provided towards tumkur also. Yes, almost all construction is complete, the goraguntepalya take off / landing ramp is is being filled. The road may be made public in July !!!!
Old 27th June 2010, 12:36   #15
Team-BHP Support

Options : SH-17 Mysore to NH4 Bangalore Exit

Folks,

Many people want to directly go from NH4 to Mysore and vice versa. Mysore is the gateway to many destinations.
Coorg, Waynad, Ooty and also a very a scenic entry point to Kerala via Nilambur.

But I guess we do not have a T-BHP certified road connection from NH4 to Mysore.
The latest I heard was Ranjit Rajaram wanted to try on the way from Mysore to Pune (Any update RR?)

Addy had asked him to take a deviation from Maddur. Is this the best one that joins at Tumkur?
The attached snapshot captures that proposed route.
On Bypassing Bangalore-sh17nh4i.jpg

While going through I maps, I also found another option that goes via Pandavpura and Melkote, Nagamangala, Belur Cross,Chelur
and joins NH4 at Sira. Here is the snap shot:

On Bypassing Bangalore-sh17nh4ii.jpg

We definitely need a solution that bypasses Bangalore on the larger scale.

Comments welcome.

Last edited by ampere : 27th June 2010 at 12:38.

Most Viewed