Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2010, 10:03   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KESriram View Post
Silverwood - I gather you're the expert on this topic. I intend to stay there for a day (at Malligi) and drive back the next early morning. Can you advise if that's a good plan and any specifics on what I can do during the day/evening (apart from the visit to the ruins)? Thanks!
Dear Sir,

I am not an expert in this topic.Its just that i am born and brought up in Raichur and have travelled a bit.
You can go ahead with your plans,also you can visit Tungabhadra dam which is 15kms from hospet the next morning and then probably start for Hyd.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 2nd July 2010 at 10:04. Reason: comments
Old 2nd July 2010, 10:47   #32
Team-BHP Support

If you want to do Hampi, stay at the KSTDC Mayura in Hampi.
Its pretty close to structures. Here is the official KSTDC homepage:

:: KARNATAKA HOLIDAYS ::

When I went quite some time, we could get bicycles for hire and we explored the place on cycles.
I enjoyed it to the core. Unfortunately I do not have any snaps to share.

If you stay in Hospet to visit Hampi, you will need to drive 25 Km to see the place.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd July 2010 at 10:50.
Old 8th July 2010, 15:16   #33
BHPian

First things first! Many thanks to all who contributed to this thread and suggested the best rotues - SILVERWOOD, ampere, gajadonga, the legend (aka hvk ), the trip was a huge success. I will compile a log shortly and post in the travelogue section but for the benefit of others who might want to do this stretch, wanted to give a quick update.

I finally took the following route (all/most of it is what you suggested):

Hyd (6PM Day1)>Jadcherla>Mahboobnagar(MBNR)>Raichur>Hospet (2.30 AM Day2, night halt)>Gadag>Hubli>Sirsi>Jog falls (3PM Day2, night halt)>Sagar>Anandapuram>Thirthahalli>Agumbe (1PM Day3)>Shimoga (8PM Day3, night halt)>Harihar>Hospet>Hampi (3PM Day4)>Anegondi>Sangapur>Gangawati>Sindhanur>Raichu r>MBNR>Jadcherla>Hyd (2.30AM Day5)

There were only and, repeat, only 2 bad stretches of about out 34 KM's of the 1652 KM's clocked on the odo.

1) While going, after Gangawati, the moment you join NH13 to get into Hospet, it is heavily potholed for 24 KM's and heavy mining lorry traffic. I did this in the night (2-2.30 AM)
2) While returning, the road from Sangapur to Gangawati there is a small stretch of about 10KM that is being repaired.

Thats it! The rest of the drive was AMAZING with out any untoward incidents or heart stopping moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
You may encounter heavy traffic at hospet (mine trucks). Please avoid night driving at this stretch.
I did just that and drove in the night! It had its repurcussions (Sore back for a few hours)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
From Hospet you can take this route Hospet-Harpanahalli-Harihar-Honnali-Shimoga-Jog falls would be better.
I did this while coming and missed out on the beautiful Bhadra WLS drive. But thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
In fact there is one more option. You can take Nh63 from Hospet, go to Hubli and then take route via Mundgod/Malgi to reach Jog.
Distances almost the same (30-40 Km difference). That also gives you an option to break your journey if you need one at Hubli. PLUS you can also enjoy the drive through Malgi.
Enjoyed??? Its an understatement buddy! I loved it! This passess through dense undergrowth and rubber plantations. But once we got out of the Hubli traffic on our way to Sirsi, we were flagged by the cops with speed guns and were caught overspeeding @ 57KMPH. We never saw the 40KMPH limit boards and parted with a challan of Rs. 300 contributed well to the KA coffers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Hyderabad-Raichur-Sindhnoor-Gadag-Hubli would be a safe bet.
The stretch between Gadad to Hubli is of concern.
Betw; I will be leaving on 2nd july for Dandeli and Goa,will be taking the same route till Hubli.Let me also know if you need any help with your accomodation in Hubli.
Yes sir, i now know first hand and i am immensly indebted to you all. Gadag to Hubli (NH63) is absolute bliss, guess they have made up the roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Hospet should have good hotels, as most people prefer to stay while visiting Hampi. That reminds, dont you want to visit Hampi?
Did visit Hampi but for a very brief period. It was excellent, nevertheless. We had lunch @ malligi and it was OK. But it looked real good for stay. Now, we stayed @ Priyadarshini and it was not bad at all. excellent parking space.
Old 8th July 2010, 15:27   #34
Team-BHP Support

Glad to hear that you enjoyed! How was the "foggy" Jog? Did you visit Linganamakki dam ? Waiting eagerly to see it your reports.
Old 8th July 2010, 15:39   #35
BHPian

Jog was indeed very foggy when we reached at 3PM. It was so foggy that we had to ask around near the KSTDC mayura hotel where the waterfal is!!! But it cleared at around 5PM and we saw all 4 (Raja, Rani, Rocket, Roarer) of them. Like you said, they are not full at this time of the year, but it was definitly a sight (and sound of the roarer).
Linganamakki is one thing we missed out sadly due to the time constraint.
Old 8th July 2010, 17:14   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeTorque View Post
Hampi (3PM Day4)>Anegondi>Sangapur>Gangawati>Sindhanur>Raichu r>MBNR>Jadcherla>Hyd (2.30AM Day5)
Thanks for the update. Does Hampi > Hyd take almost 12hrs?? I thought it was 6-6.5hr journey?
Old 8th July 2010, 18:35   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the update. Does Hampi > Hyd take almost 12hrs?? I thought it was 6-6.5hr journey?
Sriram, the times i mentioned at all stops are the arrival times. We started @ hampi at around 6PM and then it started pouring (the downpour continued all the way to Hyderabad and stopped only next day). Then there was a stop @ raichur for dinner. On a clear day, i would give it 7-8Hrs at my pace & style of driving.
P.S i am a very defensive driver and rarely do above 80 KMPH.

Last edited by ExtremeTorque : 8th July 2010 at 18:38.
Old 9th July 2010, 11:40   #38
BHPian

Thanks for the clarification. 7-8hrs seem more realistic for me as well, as I'll be travelling with a 2yr old kid. Can you recommend some decent food joints on the way (Raichur/MBNR etc.,)?
Old 9th July 2010, 13:47   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. 7-8hrs seem more realistic for me as well, as I'll be travelling with a 2yr old kid. Can you recommend some decent food joints on the way (Raichur/MBNR etc.,)?
We had dinner at Raichur (while going and coming back) and the food was really good. When you enter Raichur town you are on SH 13 and need to divert at a junction and take right to join SH20. At this junction take a left and 30-40 feet away on the left is the dhabha - Santoshi Utsav dhaba. See map attached and you can use the route map i traced (thought you can use it upto Hami and back).
Also, while at hampi, do make sure you hire a guide (charge 300-500 based on your bargaining skills ;-) as it is a huge place and your car can go near most of the structures.
Attached Thumbnails
Route condition - Hyderabad to Jog falls-santoshi-utsav.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: doc Route.doc (1.21 MB, 739 views)

Last edited by ExtremeTorque : 9th July 2010 at 13:54.
Old 9th July 2010, 14:23   #40
BHPian

A team of around 80 people from our factory are planning to visit Hampi on 25 th July. We made reservation in Hotel Karthik, Hospet. We will be departing on 24th evening from Vijayawada. We are reserving the whole of 25 th for Hampi alone.

On 26 th morning we plan to visit the dam and anegondi too. We have time till 1 P.M. on 26 th. Can we cover any other nearby interesting area? We have buses at our disposal throughout our stay at Hospet.

Any suggestions/ information will be appreciated.

Murthy
Old 9th July 2010, 14:33   #41
Team-BHP Support

One day seems perfect for the visit to ruins. It would have been nicer if you explore in cycles, but since you are in a group, bus would as well suffice.

Keep lots of water.
Old 9th July 2010, 15:14   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinimurthy View Post

Murthy
Like ampere said, keep lots of water. Also, navigating in Hampi would not be an issue at all as most of them speak all south languages+hindi+english (fluently, i might add). Also, do hire a guide, preferably near the parking lot of Narasimha swamy temple.
Old 9th July 2010, 18:11   #43
BHPian

Thank you for your suggestions.

We will be carrying a couple of 20 litre mineral water (packaged water is a beter word) cans in each bus with a dispenser. Of course individuals will have their own 1 litre bottles. Thanks for the reminder.

We will definitely hire a guide.

Thank you.

Murthy
Old 12th July 2010, 09:57   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeTorque View Post
We had dinner at Raichur (while going and coming back) and the food was really good. When you enter Raichur town you are on SH 13 and need to divert at a junction and take right to join SH20. At this junction take a left and 30-40 feet away on the left is the dhabha - Santoshi Utsav dhaba.
I had my lunch at Utsav last week whe i was in Raichur.It was good.
A new bypass road has come up,this will save 8-10kms.
After you cross shaktinagar and yermarus village, you can see a bypass road on the right which will take you towards SH20.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 12th July 2010 at 09:58. Reason: Comments
Old 12th July 2010, 10:03   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinimurthy View Post
On 26 th morning we plan to visit the dam and anegondi too. We have time till 1 P.M. on 26 th. Can we cover any other nearby interesting area? We have buses at our disposal throughout our stay at Hospet.

Murthy
Kishkinda Heritage Resort

This is a nice resort near hampi.

Betw:Which route are you planning to take from Vijayawada.?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks