Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2018, 20:45   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Coimbatore to Calicut

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
I am starting by 7AM from CBE. I think it will take 5 hrs or even bit more. I like to take pictures, not sure if the road is scenic somewhere on the way.
I am staying at Taj Gateway - PT Usha road. Will it be easy to reach? Thank you.

BTW - is this the route you meant? Palakkad-Mundur-Cherpulassery-Perinthalmanna-Malappuram (bypass)-Kondotty-Ramanattukara-Calicut
The route is correct. There is a stretch of around 7km on the Mundur-Cherpulassery stretch (just after Kongad) that's a little bad - but your beast can easily roughshod over them

Road as such is very scenic - tree lined flowing twisties, but there are no scenic spots

As suggested by Suhas, its better to start early since the traffic is irritating between Malappuram and Calicut. 5 am would have been ideal
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2018, 10:19   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
- If possible do consider starting bit early from Coimbatore.
- No particularity scenic locations enroute (Unless you want to stop over at Malampuzha / Anakkal).
- For Taj, proceed on Calicut NH byepass till Thondayad junction and take left from there. There is flyover work ongoing there (seperate flyover to what mallumowgli mentioned above). Also, there is a traffic signal here, so its difficult to miss.
- Once you take left you are on 'Mavoor road' continue on this road all the way till you reach a 'T' junction past private & KSRTC bus stand.
- From this junction you will have to take left (No right turn allowed).
- Some 200 meters from here, you will reach a traffic signal. Take right here and get on the railway over bridge.
- Once you get off the bridge, take right.

Direction
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
The route is correct. There is a stretch of around 7km on the Mundur-Cherpulassery stretch (just after Kongad) that's a little bad - but your beast can easily roughshod over them

Road as such is very scenic - tree lined flowing twisties, but there are no scenic spots

As suggested by Suhas, its better to start early since the traffic is irritating between Malappuram and Calicut. 5 am would have been ideal
I had an easy drive (though the traffic was heavy, however, it kept moving) and reached the hotel in time.
We had a good time there, and found Kappad beach good - rest are unclean an overcrowded due to the weekend.

While returning back, I decided to take an unusual route which was a big mistake. I took Mannarkkad - Aanaikatty road, which in fact has no road at all. The rain made deep pits almost everywhere and the 15 KM stretch in the skill was miserable. My Endy managed them well, But still, I regretted taking that route.

I do not see a sign of re-laying the road anytime sooner, so, I strongly discourage anyone taking this route - even two-wheelers. Once puncture or repair can mess-up your entire journey. You may stand out without help and mobile in the forest.

A strict NO to Ananikatti-Mannarkkad road for now (Jan 2018).
agbenny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 19:37   #78
BHPian

I’m planning a drive to coimbatore from Calicut this weekend via mannarkkad - Anaikatti route. How is the present road condition and safety about this route? Is there any night restriction through this route ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks