Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2010, 10:07   #1
BHPian

Coimbatore to Calicut

I have done the CBE-Calicut route twice via Walayar/Palakkad. However, I would like to explore and go via Ooty/Gudalur.

I see a kink at Gudalur below:

Coimbatore to Calicut-cbeclt.jpg

and it shows 241 km to Ramanattukara (Calicut district.) Is it Google's issue? Is there a left immediately at Gudulur or one has to go as Google shows? Does the forest embargo of 6pm to 6am apply to both Gundlupet/Kalpetta section and the Gudulur/Nilambur sections? So starting at 5 am from CBE should be ok, right? Whats the average travel time? Any other suggestions from anyone is welcome? Any blocks recently, monsoon issues etc.

Thanks.
Old 9th July 2010, 10:21   #2
BHPian

This is what I got.

Coimbatore to Calicut-cbemap.jpg
I guess this shows the correct route..

The distance is shown as 212 kms.

edit - didnt realize that your destination is Ramanattukara - the overall distance may not differ much - Nilambur to Ramanattukara is more or less similar in distance to Nilambur - Calicut ( different routes ).

( for Nbr-Ramanattukara, the best road could be Nbr - Edavanna - Manjeri - Kondotti -Ramanattukara.

for Nbr - Calicut, Nbr - Edavanna - Areekode ( turn right after Edavanna town ( not the bridge before that ) - Edavannappara - Turn left after Areekode town ( you will see signs for Calicut ) - Cross Kavanakkal regulator after vazhakkad - and follow directions to Calicut ( it goes via Peruvayal, Medical college etc(

Last edited by Bigzero : 9th July 2010 at 10:29.
Old 9th July 2010, 10:51   #3
BHPian

Sorry - forgot to address the other questions ( not that I have clear-cut answers to all, but let me give it a shot )

- I dont think there is any issue traveling from Gudalur-Nilambur at night . It is well outside the Mudumalai-Bandipur ranges.
- 5 am from CBE should be fine!
- I have done the Gudalur- Nilambur stretch a few months back and the road was quite good. Dont know if rains have had any impact after that.
- to go to Nilambur, you have to turn left at the signal in Gudalur town ( straight road goes to Mysore ). after you turn left and continue along the road, you will see signs for Calicut, and at some point you will reach a fork . The right side option takes you to Calicut via Wayanad, I guess. You have to turn left at that fork to go to Nilambur. I dont remember seeing very clear markings there.

Average travel time - Gudalur to Nbr may be a little more than an hour, and Nilambur - Ramanattukara, another hour.

Am not sure about CBE-Ooty and Ooty-Gudalur ( havent done that in the recent past ). I guess Ooty-Gudalur could take you a little more than 2 hrs or so.

Hope this helps!
Old 9th July 2010, 12:23   #4
BHPian

Palakkad/Walayar route is the best (good roads and shortest) to Calicut.

If you want to take the Ooty-Gudalur route, then there are two options.

Option1: Ooty - Gudalur (you can take either the Kalhatti route: take a right after crossing the HPF factory and the pine forests OR go straight and cross TR Bazaar and Naduvattam before Gudalur - NH67) - Nadugani - Devala - Panthalur - Cherambadi - Vaduvanchal - Meppadi - Chundale - Vythiri - Thamaraserry - Calicut bye-pass - Ramanattukara.
This is a looong route, but a scenic one until Vythiri.

Option 2: Ooty - Gudalur - Nadugani - Vazhikadavu - Nilambur - Edavanna - Manjeri - Kondotty - Ramanattukara.
This would be a shorter route.

Last edited by jeeva : 9th July 2010 at 12:25.
Old 9th July 2010, 14:29   #5
Team-BHP Support

If you want to go via Vythri, you dont need to go to Nilambur I think.
At Gudalur, there is a road to Kalpetta, which goes via Meppadi.

I have seen this diversion at Gudalur many times. But never driven through it.
Per HVK, its very beautiful to drive, but with few potholes on the road. Here is the google link.

SH 28 to Mavoor Rd - Google Maps
Old 9th July 2010, 14:52   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you want to go via Vythri, you dont need to go to Nilambur I think.
At Gudalur, there is a road to Kalpetta, which goes via Meppadi.

I have seen this diversion at Gudalur many times. But never driven through it.
Per HVK, its very beautiful to drive, but with few potholes on the road. Here is the google link.

SH 28 to Mavoor Rd - Google Maps
Yes. You don't have to go to Nilambur to reach Vythiri. Infact these are different routes all together.

The diversion is not at Gudalur. 18/20 kms after Gudalur, comes this place called Nadugani.
If you take a left at the forest check post there, you will enter the ghats (comparitively small one) and reach Vazhikadavu and then on to Nilambur. (Malapuram district)

If you keep going straight instead, you will cross the Nilgiris district and enter Wayanad district and on the way comes Vythiri. This apparently happens to be the same route through Meppadi. This road joins the NH at Chundale and proceeds to Vythiri. You can skip Kalpetta.
I happen to know, as my hometown is around the corner

Last edited by jeeva : 9th July 2010 at 15:02.
Old 9th July 2010, 15:58   #7
Team-BHP Support

@Jeeva,

How is the road condition between Gudalur and Kalpetta?
Old 9th July 2010, 21:20   #8
BHPian

@BigZero -

1. Any harm in taking SH34 and SH24 - koolimad route - other side of chaliyar - instead of going up to and beyond Vazhakkad and then cross the chaliyar.

2. Does anyone know if the Aakkode road, which is beyond the above Kavanakallu bridge cutting, reach Ramanattukara?

3. There is a Vazhakkad-Kondotty as well which I can take, Areekod-Karipur road as well.

Basically planning to explore a little than to take the normal route of Manjeri-Kondotty-Ramanattukara. Btw, all the routes, even the small ones on the maps would be motorable, correct? Or do you guys suggest that I dont take chances via unknown routes?
Old 9th July 2010, 23:26   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
@BigZero -

1. Any harm in taking SH34 and SH24 - koolimad route - other side of chaliyar - instead of going up to and beyond Vazhakkad and then cross the chaliyar.
No harm, in fact that will be a shorter route. I guess you are mentioning about going on straight from Areekode on the Mukkam road past the turnout for edavannappara, and then after a few kms ( forgot the name of the place ) take the left to Mavoor via Koolimad. This is a shorter stretch ( dont know by how much ), but I guess the road is a bit iffy in some places. In comparison, the edavannappara-vazhakkad-peruvayal road is excellent.

Quote:
2. Does anyone know if the Aakkode road, which is beyond the above Kavanakallu bridge cutting, reach Ramanattukara?
If you are talking about going straight beyond Kavanakkal bridge and not choosing to turn right to take the bridge, I have taken that route a couple of times. That road is an interesting one - again, narrow, winding road, with some interesting views. This road skirts Farooq college and hits the Byepass a km or so later. You can take a left from there to Go to Ramanattukara.

Quote:
3. There is a Vazhakkad-Kondotty as well which I can take, Areekod-Karipur road as well.
Yes, I have done that too. At some point in that road, you get an excellent view of the Calicut airport from a distance. The road is ok, yes, its a decent option too.

Quote:
Basically planning to explore a little than to take the normal route of Manjeri-Kondotty-Ramanattukara. Btw, all the routes, even the small ones on the maps would be motorable, correct? Or do you guys suggest that I dont take chances via unknown routes?
All of the routes you mentioned are motorable. I have done multiple trips in my old Santro over the last few years. Dont know if there are any recent deterioration because of the rains though.

Most of these roads go through the countryside and if you are not in a hurry, its a rewarding experience in itself.

If you are talking about going off the beaten path, you can also consider turning right onto the bridge over Chaliyar before Edavanna ( when you come from Nilambur ) - this road takes you thorugh places like Othayi etc to finally touch the Areekode - Mukkam road. Its been a while since I used that road, all i remember is that you save some distance, but not time. The road is narrow, but passes through some rubber estates etc, offering again, a nice, pleasant drive.

Hope this helps!
Old 10th July 2010, 21:54   #10
BHPian

Firstly, hats-off BigZero. Combleete kalakki kudich routoogal aan allo! Amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
If you are talking about going straight beyond Kavanakkal bridge and not choosing to turn right to take the bridge, I have taken that route a couple of times. That road is an interesting one - again, narrow, winding road, with some interesting views. This road skirts Farooq college and hits the Byepass a km or so later. You can take a left from there to Go to Ramanattukara.
Doubt here Coimbatore to Calicut-vazhakkadramanattukara.jpg

See the Aakode road, this could lead to the NH17 bypass but the Farook college is on the left of the bypass (see 'B', 'A')

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
Hope this helps!
Big time!
Old 10th July 2010, 21:57   #11
BHPian

Oh! And btw any idea about the exact travel times for the sections of CBE-Ooty, Ooty-Gudalur?
Old 10th July 2010, 22:05   #12
Team-BHP Support

CBE to Gudalur is about 120km. The max time would be till Metupalayam. CBE to MET is highly traffic ladden. Ooty to Gudalur very twisty roads but can be don in about an hour max. Give a total of 3 to 3.5 hours minimum.
Old 10th July 2010, 22:54   #13
BHPian

I heard some Kotagiri route to avoid the Met route. Would it make a difference?
Old 10th July 2010, 22:59   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Doubt here

See the Aakode road, this could lead to the NH17 bypass but the Farook college is on the left of the bypass (see 'B', 'A')
Yeah I got it wrong I guess, the map is correct. Sorry abt that - blame my poor memory! In any case, what matters is that you hit the BP eventually. The road after crossing the BP goes via Farook college.

Last edited by Bigzero : 10th July 2010 at 23:00.
Old 10th July 2010, 22:59   #15
Team-BHP Support

I think if you starting from CBE, you cannot avoid Mettupalayam.
Others can comment.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks