Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2010, 13:54   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Yes, that is a good point.

@dkcrpl, when are you planning to travel? Nov/Dec are good months.

Monsoon is a good experience, I personally like venturing out during the rains. But it rains pretty heavily in Kerala. Family may not enjoy it that well, especially while on a vacation.
Planning for the Trip in Nov during Diwali vaccations. Know it shall be bit costly but then Kids attendance in school is equally important (Though i used to bunk school /college quite often)
Old 10th July 2010, 14:23   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkcrpl View Post
Planning for the Trip in Nov during Diwali vaccations. Know it shall be bit costly but then Kids attendance in school is equally important (Though i used to bunk school /college quite often)
No problems! Its the best time to visit the Gods. All water bodies in full, leaves fresh and green. What more would one need!
Old 10th July 2010, 16:59   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thanks for that correction Aargee.
Ernakulam Munnar is not 100, but about 140 Km.
its just 100kms and why someone wants to go to muvattupuzha to go to munnar?
Old 10th July 2010, 21:50   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kphilip View Post
Is NH49 not the easier route? This distance is about 125. I found the roads to very good.

What is the other option?
Old 12th July 2010, 18:03   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kphilip View Post
Correct there is no need to go to Muvattupuzha.

Ernakulam - Aluva (NH47)
Aluva - Perumbavoor - Kothamangalam (SH16)
From this point on NH49 all the way to Munnar.

Its 111Kms from my place edappally, so distance from Ernakulam will be around 117Kms.
Old 12th July 2010, 18:32   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
Correct there is no need to go to Muvattupuzha.

Ernakulam - Aluva (NH47)
Aluva - Perumbavoor - Kothamangalam (SH16)
From this point on NH49 all the way to Munnar.

Its 111Kms from my place edappally, so distance from Ernakulam will be around 117Kms.
NH49 is the same distance and the road was very good. So how does the alternate route help?
Old 12th July 2010, 18:52   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
NH49 is the same distance and the road was very good. So how does the alternate route help?
I'm not saying to take this route. Its the route I normally take.
See google maps it says 115Kms.

Ernakulam - Muvattupuzha is around 45Kms
Muvattupuzha - Munnar around 80 Kms so total 130 Kms.

Its not about saving the 15Kms. It depends on what you need.

Quote:
I'm just showing you the door, you are the one who have to walk through it.
- Morpheus (The Matrix)
Red pill or blue pill your decide.
Old 12th July 2010, 19:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
It depends on what you need.
If the destination is Munnar, and intermediate stoppages do not matter, which one to take - Muvattupuzha or Perumbavoor? Which route has more traffic? Road conditions?
Old 12th July 2010, 19:49   #24
Senior - BHPian

Road condition from Perumbavoor - MVPA - I've reached the 15 Kms stretch easily in 17-20 minutes; From MVPA towards Kothamangalam one has to pass through the town & it takes about 7-10 minutes to cross from NSS junction to MVPA market on good traffic condition.

MVPA towards Kothamangalam is a breezy road & can cover the 12-15 Kms stretch in about 20 minutes max.

PS - I've covered MVPA to Kothamangalam in 12 minutes, parking to parking, by Kinetic Honda; but that was about 10 years ago.
Old 12th July 2010, 20:15   #25
Team-BHP Support

I did last year and it was still good! NH49 was in top form. Very good for the density of Kerala.
Old 12th July 2010, 22:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Road condition from Perumbavoor - MVPA - I've reached the 15 Kms stretch easily in 17-20 minutes; From MVPA towards Kothamangalam one has to pass through the town & it takes about 7-10 minutes to cross from NSS junction to MVPA market on good traffic condition.

MVPA towards Kothamangalam is a breezy road & can cover the 12-15 Kms stretch in about 20 minutes max.

PS - I've covered MVPA to Kothamangalam in 12 minutes, parking to parking, by Kinetic Honda; but that was about 10 years ago.
I think if you're starting from the southern side of Cochin (say Vyttila or thereabouts), the MVPA route is easier and if starting from places like Edappally in the north part of Cochin, going via Alwaye may be better. On the MVPA route, you'll face the maximum traffic upto Tripunithura, it gets lighter afterwards (except for within Muvattupuzha town). The traffic from Edappally to Alwaye is also pretty heavy.

By the way, you don't need to touch Muvattupuzha to go from Perumbavoor to Kothamangalam. If you continue on the road that you're coming from Alwaye, it takes you straight to Kothamangalam where you join the National Highway. The distance from Perumbavoor to Muvattupuzha and Kothamangalam is approximately the same (Actually Kothamangalam may be slightly closer)
Old 12th July 2010, 22:32   #27
Senior - BHPian

@Kala - you're right on the Vytila part & one can avoid the Tripunithura town & thanks to the newly constructed bridge that helps to bye-pass the town & the wait at the railways gate & reach Thiruvamkulam easily.

One need not get into MVPA & can go via Perumbavoor to Kothamangalam directly; I only updated the road conditions via MVPA.
Old 13th July 2010, 10:14   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Kala - you're right on the Vytila part & one can avoid the Tripunithura town & thanks to the newly constructed bridge that helps to bye-pass the town & the wait at the railways gate & reach Thiruvamkulam easily.
Oh - I didn't know about the existence of this byepass - haven't travelled that way for quite a long time. Where does it start when coming from Vyttila ?

Quote:
One need not get into MVPA & can go via Perumbavoor to Kothamangalam directly; I only updated the road conditions via MVPA.
Ah ok. My mistake in comprehending the message.. The part which misled me was your mention of the road condition between Perumbavoor and MVPA (since that stretch doesn't fall in either of the two alternatives discussed).
Old 13th July 2010, 10:57   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
The part which misled me was your mention of the road condition between Perumbavoor and MVPA (since that stretch doesn't fall in either of the two alternatives discussed).
aargee is from MVPA and he was probably discussing traffic and road conditions of all routes around MVPA.
Old 13th July 2010, 11:08   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I dont remember if I used it while coming from Vaikom and going towards Trichur.
I vaguely remember a bridge, but it seemed quite old.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks