Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2010, 13:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

@Ampere - Vaikom, I'm not sure, if you can elaborate, I can understand better. But the bridge, that I'm talking about is a bye-pass to Thripunithura town. The google map shows the new way via the bridge. Instead of turning towards Tripunithura town, it keeps going straight towards Vytila junction. The one marked in RED is the old way plying via the town. On keeping further (towards left), one finds the Poornathrayeesa temple. That's a marvellous temple that reminds the ancient times when the King of Tripunithura used to visit & has kitchen, car, dance stage, garage, accomodation for other people in Kingdom & its a must watch.
Kerala: Advice Requested.-w1.jpg
Old 13th July 2010, 15:21   #32
Team-BHP Support

Now I think I understand.

In Dec I went to Munnar/Kumarakom.
For the Munar to Kumrarakom (I think deep_clutch or coolcloud) suggested me a way to bypass Tripunithura from NH49.
To get on to Vaikam road, this road goes via the Sri Agastya temple. That is where I crossed the railway line.

While coming from Kumarakom (via the Vaikam road SH15 as per Google maps), I did not need to cross the railway line.
Hence I think I did NOT use the by-pass as you marked. (as I was on Vaikam road and not on NH49)

Last edited by ampere : 13th July 2010 at 15:25.
Old 13th July 2010, 17:20   #33
Senior - BHPian

@aargee : Got it now. I've travelled on that road - for a moment I thought you were referring to some really new road that has come up recently.
Old 15th July 2010, 15:00   #34
BHPian

Thanks a lot everybody for your valuable feeback. It shall definitely help me a lot.
Old 17th May 2011, 14:30   #35
BHPian

Advice for Kerala Trip

Myself along with a couple of friends are planning for a 3 day trip to some parts of kerala (preferably towards cochin or wayanad end).

However had couple of doubts and needed clarifications:

1. Will it be advisable to visit kerala during 1st week of july, as it would be monsoon at its best. Though rains are an important reason for the trip, too much of it might ruin the trip.

2. What would be more suitable, direct cab to and from bangalore, or arrive at some place via train, and then hire a local cab for the rest of duration. And then go back again by train or bus.

3. What could be 3-4 good places in kerala, where we can spend our times away from the hustle and bustle of cities (one reason people like to ignore kochi also). It should be an overnite journey from bangalore.

Any other advice, suggestion from your end is always be more then welcome.
Old 17th May 2011, 15:06   #36
Senior - BHPian

Re: Advice for Kerala Trip

Going towards Cochin side, then stretch it towards Kuttikanam, Vagamon, Mundakkayam side. Would be fun in the rains. Greenery all round and away from all the hustle bustle.
Old 17th May 2011, 15:14   #37
Team-BHP Support

You could try Munnar. The hills are simply beautiful then.

Check if the houseboats are in service then; you could even head to Allepy. 2 days at Munnar (roaming around the hills, the dam and a forest - forgot the name) and then a day at Allepy.

You could hire a cab at Munnar for sightseeing; rains will be plenty but I doubt they'll play spoilsport.
Old 17th May 2011, 15:21   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Going towards Cochin side, then stretch it towards Kuttikanam, Vagamon, Mundakkayam side. Would be fun in the rains. Greenery all round and away from all the hustle bustle.
Thanks Lalu, I wish to enjoy the serene beauty of Kerala during Monsoons and hence have planned it during the onset of monsoon or during the monsoon season. It would be of a great help if you could also guide me about the travelling part. Lalu, what are areas of interest around Wayanad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
You could try Munnar. The hills are simply beautiful then. Check if the houseboats are in service then; you could even head to Allepy.
Tks Libranof1987, Munnar is surely a place to visit, especially during monsoons. I still remember the beauty of Munnar post monsoon during winter season. It was breathtaking. if I were to do the Allepy Strech, I would rather do a Tekkady one. Stay at Athidi inn at Periyaar Tiger Reserve. However, I wish to enjoy the rains more and that's my primary objective.

Last edited by traveloholic : 17th May 2011 at 15:23.
Old 17th May 2011, 15:34   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
...and a forest - forgot the name
Are you referring to 'Marayur' forest by any chance?
Old 17th May 2011, 15:44   #40
Senior - BHPian

Wayanad with its rainforests would be fun too. Some places are pookote lake, soochippara falls, edakkal caves, muthanga wls, kuruva island etc..During rains it'd be better to be at your home stay/ stay in a thick lush green area and sip hot chai

I have only passed through there, but have not yet stopped by.
Old 17th May 2011, 15:46   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Are you referring to 'Marayur' forest by any chance?
I should have checked earlier.

It is the "ERAVIKULAM NATIONAL PARK". Once you reach this park, you have to park your vehicles and travel inside in the parks vehicles (Tata Mini-buses). They drop you at a point and then you walk towards the "ANAIMUDI PEAK".

En route you'll find tons of wild goats. If the weather is good, the walk is amazing.

Also, "MADUPATTY DAM" and "KUNDALA DAM" are a treat to watch.
Old 17th May 2011, 15:52   #42
Senior - BHPian

Wild Goats

They are Nilgiri Tahrs, a poor endangered species.

Last edited by laluks : 17th May 2011 at 15:54.
Old 17th May 2011, 16:01   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Wild Goats

They are Nilgiri Tahrs, a poor endangered species.
Sorry! I stand corrected.

I'd gone over 3 years ago and the first thing that the driver of our bus blurted when we spotted them was wild goat!

Seemed pretty harmless creatures, they weren't mischievous enough to ask tourists for food, posed for pics and went about their grazing business.
Old 17th May 2011, 16:19   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
It would be of a great help if you could also guide me about the travelling part. Lalu, what are areas of interest around Wayanad?
The monsoon season may not be a good time to be in Wayanad, especially if you into trekking and the likes. Leeches!!
You could visit Muthanga wildlife sanctuary, where if you are interested you can hire a jeep and venture into the forest. Then there is the "kuruvadeep' islands, which is basically a group small islands you can cross through shallow waters of the Kabini. There is the Pokoot lake, Soochipara water falls, Meenmutty water falls, Chembra peak, Tholpetti Wildlife santuary and the likes.

Important: You don't really know why or when anybody in Kerala declares a "harthal". As a matter of fact, I just learnt that some party has declared a 'harthal" on this Friday (atleast in Wayanad).
I remember saying this on another thread too, before you start off, be sure about the harthal status in the state.
jeeva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2011, 16:46   #45
Senior - BHPian

The best time to be in Wayanad is during the rains,because the rivers run full and the whole place looks green.Do not try any treks during this time,as the areas could be very slippery and plus landslides at certain places.Kerala looks Godly and heavenly during the rains.

I would definitely reccomend a local cab guy as opposed to a Bangalore cabbie.I would reccomend a guy,pls pm me in case you need the details.

Munnar is a must visit place.What you should be doing is arrive into Kerala and hire the cab within Kerala and get the same cab to drop you back to Bangalore.

Keep one cab for the entire trip,its easier on the pocket as well as from a relationship point of view as well.

If you could advise where would be you going in Kerala,I could accordingly tell you more.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks