Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2018, 20:57   #91

re: Chennai - Mumbai - Chennai : Route Queries

I drove from Pune to Chennai recently (mid-Oct 2018) with my wife and 5 years old kid. Sharing the timings and some impressions of the whole trip:

Planning:

I was travelling from Kharadi (Pune) to Hiranandani (Egattur, Chennai). Total door to door distance for me was around 1215 kms (about 19 hours' drive as per Google Maps). Since I was travelling with family, I initially inclined towards breaking the journey into equal parts of 600 kms each. Google maps predicted that would make me drive 9 hours and bring me to Devanagere. Adding in 1-1.5 hours break, it seemed like a reasonable plan. However, after reading tips from fellow BHPians about stay options (i.e. lack thereof) en-route and some of my friends who frequent Pune-Bangalore, I wondered if I could directly drive to Bangalore on the first day and then have a relax drive to Chennai the day after. That would've been 850 kms and 13 hours' drive (Google maps algo) without counting breaks. A tall order for someone like me - I had done 12-hrs drives only twice in my life.

But friends suggested that it was doable if I left super-early from Pune. I discussed with my wife and we decided that we will aim for Bangalore and if the going gets tough, the tough will stop at the nearest major town and stay wherever possible.

Preparation:

I got my 2014 Vento TSI fully serviced, 3 months old Michelin Energy XM2 tyres filled with 33 PSI of Nitrogen, and gas tank filled with normal saada petrol. Stocked up on banana chips, foxnuts, biscuits and most importantly, red bulls.

Drive:

At 4:15 am, we had a Red Bull, put on some 90s Bollywood music and started from Kharadi. Blissfully escaping the city traffic, we were out of the city within 30 minutes! Till Satara, there seems to be perpetual construction going on blocking half the road and creating ever more traffic diversions. Yet, with low vehicular traffic, it wasn’t bad. We crossed Satara at 6:15 am. After Satara the good stuff starts. Kolhapur went by at 7:15 am and by 8 am, we were at the famous Nipani turn having a coffee. As it always happens, an unexplainable spirit overtook and demanded that we abandon everything and take the Nipani turn to Goa. But, sanity prevailed, and we were off again, cruising on the NH48. When we drove past Belgaum at 8:55 am, reaching Bangalore the same day didn’t seem unfathomable at all. Its when we reached somewhere around Dharwad at 9:45 am that things got a bit dodgy.

Dharwad to Hubballi was a 50-60 kms of two-lane, divider-less stretch. It slowed down our tempo quite a bit. It was like getting downgraded to dial-up after habituating to fibre-optic. So, we decided to take a breakfast stop at a derelict Kamat just outside Hubballi. After finishing breakfast at around 11 am, we got on to the road to Chitradurga. Unlike the stretch before Hubballi, it had dividers, but, it also had major potholes. It was difficult to catch speed unless you could manoeuvre like an autorickshaw. That was another 200 kms that ate into our time. But, as they say, keep going, and you will find light at the end of the tunnel. And light found, we did. Our drive from Chitradurga (around 1:15 pm) to Tumkur was one of the best parts of the day. It’s a 6 lane high speed stretch of straight road with barricades to prevent anyone just walking over from the sides. It felt like Yudhishtir's chariot gliding 4 inches above ground. What a beauty! When Bangalore felt within reach, we started googling for stay options and found an Oyo room in Electronic city, just 500 meters from the highway. By 4:20 pm, we were parked at our Oyo stay.

The next morning, after a good 9 hrs sleep, we started towards our destination at 7:15 am. Now, it seems that by Bangalore traffic standards, we started late because traffic was heavy - especially lorries. Took us one hour to reach Krishnagiri toll. Right through Ambur (9 am) we were greeted with beautiful backdrop of stone hills and coconut groves! If I was living in E-city, I would frequent this route way too often for weekend drives. We crossed Vellore at 9:30 am, Ranipet at 10 am and stopped at 10:20 am for breakfast at our favourite idli chain - Murugan Idli, just before Kanchipuram. Till Kanchipuram the roads are smooth, scenery beautiful and its overall an extremely pleasant drive. Kanchipuram onwards the lorry traffic goes up significantly and roads too are just average. After reaching Sriperumbudur at 11:40 am, we left the national highway and got on to the Google maps suggested state highway to Mudichur/Vandalur, passing Mambakkam and finally reaching Kelambakkam. The route was decent, criss-crossing through some quaint little villages with decent roads (far better than the potholes-ridden stretch near Hubballi). We finally reached our destination, Egattur, at 12:30 pm.

Experience:

The man -

The first day of the drive seemed very breezy - until I hit the bed. The tiredness just overtook me. I slept like a politician during riots. Just blacked out. I realized that driving at high speeds on Indian highways for long stretches subconsciously pushes you and tires you out. Your alertness level is at its peak for long stretches without sufficient troughs. Maybe its just something to get used to.

The machine -

This was the first time my Vento TSI did a drive this long, and boy was it fun. The level of comfort it provides on long stretches is simple amazing. Before this, I had only driven an Ertiga for 10-12 hrs stretches and Vento is in whole other league. I was also positively surprised with the fuel economy, especially given the fact that it was fully loaded and was being pushed past 100/120 km/h very frequently.

The tyres -

It would be cruel to not give due credit to the XM2 tyres. Given their price point, they are really worth all the money. On two occasions I had to jam the breaks to avoid collision and they didn’t skid an inch - a thing of beauty these tyres are. Although, I do feel that they aren't as precise (for the lack of a better word) the as stock Apollos I had. With the Apollos, I always felt like I could manoeuvre the car within a millimetre of where my mind wanted it to be. These ones handle a fraction too loose - don’t know if that makes any sense. These are damn comfortable though. And they also grip and brake better. I remember the first 6-9 months of my Vento, the ABS used to engage way too frequently on the new Apollos - even at low speeds. XM2s have shown no such problem. These bad boys just come to a halt. No locking. I would recommend these over the stock Apollos any day.

Summary:

Pune to Bangalore (Electronic city):

Time taken - 12 hours (incl around 1.5 hours of breaks)

Fuel economy - 14.6 km/l (3 passengers, boot fully loaded)

Bangalore to Chennai (Egattur):

Time taken - 5 hours 15 mins (incl around 35 mins of breaks)

Fuel economy - 17.3 km/l (3 passengers, boot fully loaded)
r1sh4bh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 05:40   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks,
Just did a non-stop ride (22 hours) from Mumbai to Chennai a few days back - the details are on my thread at this post. Hit me up if you have any questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1sh4bh View Post
I drove from Pune to Chennai recently (mid-Oct 2018) with my wife and 5 years old kid
Lol - should have connected with you once! Seemingly our trip timings (including the interim ones) are quite similar, Vento to Vento
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 18:41   #93
BHPian

I have done Chennai - Pune a few times (via Bangalore) and am looking for an alternative route.. something more scenic and possibly relaxed - I can afford 3 days of transit time. pros pls advise
Old 17th December 2019, 13:35   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post
I can afford 3 days of transit time. pros pls advise
How about Chennai - Hosur - Mysore - Coorg - Mangalore - Udupi - Karwar. From Karwar, you can join back the highway at Belgaum.

If you still had time, you can do Karwar - Along the coast to Ratnagiri - Ganapatipule - Kolhapur - Pune

Sounds crazy, but since you had 3 days with you, this can be a good option for some relaxed driving.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 17:54   #95
BHPian

Quote:
I have done Chennai - Pune a few times (via Bangalore) and am looking for an alternative route.. something more scenic and possibly relaxed - I can afford 3 days of transit time. pros pls advise
Can you please suggest the best routes as I'm planning to travel on 4th or 5th of July.I will be doing Pune to Chennai

If I travel via Vellore which would be the place of Border crossed/the check post or the border post?

Thanks
Joshua

Last edited by joshuakeys : 30th June 2020 at 18:01. Reason: correction
Old 30th June 2020, 21:43   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuakeys View Post
If I travel via Vellore which would be the place of Border crossed/the check post or the border post?

Thanks
Joshua
For Pune-Chennai via Bangalore, you will have to cross the TN check-post at Attibele-Hosur.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 07:02   #97
BHPian

Re: Chennai - Mumbai - Chennai : Route Queries

Quote:
Can you please suggest the best routes as I'm planning to travel on 4th or 5th of July.I will be doing Pune to Chennai

Thanks
Joshua
Josh, stick to the NH . Pune - Kolhapur - Belgaum - Tumkur - NICE road - Hosur - Vellore - Chennai. There will be checkposts at state and city borders. Like Arun mentioned entry post for TN should be at Attibele. Hope you have arranged passes for Maharashtra and TN. Karnataka rules aren’t very clear for transit travelers.

Please share your experience once you do. I am looking to drive to Pune(from Chennai) around 17th
Rajiv0909 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 12:36   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
For Pune-Chennai via Bangalore, you will have to cross the TN check-post at Attibele-Hosur.
Thanks Arun !

Quote:
Josh, stick to the NH . Pune - Kolhapur - Belgaum - Tumkur - NICE road - Hosur - Vellore - Chennai. There will be checkposts at state and city borders. Like Arun mentioned entry post for TN should be at Attibele. Hope you have arranged passes for Maharashtra and TN. Karnataka rules aren’t very clear for transit travelers.

Please share your experience once you do. I am looking to drive to Pune(from Chennai) around 17th
Thanks Rajiv !

The major problem now is the EPass, I was trying to get one from TN as a pass to enter in to TN from MH, however that have rejected my request few times.

Now I'm trying to get the pass from Pune as leaving MH and entering in to TN, lets see if I can get through it, if I couldn't then have to postpone my travel dates.

Will keep you posted

Cheers
Josh

Last edited by joshuakeys : 1st July 2020 at 12:38. Reason: correction
Old 3rd July 2020, 18:19   #99

Quote:
The major problem now is the EPass, I was trying to get one from TN as a pass to enter in to TN from MH, however that have rejected my request few times.
Hi Josh - I am also planning to do a Mumbai-Chennai-Mumbai later this month to pick up my parents. Can I check what was the reason you entered in TN pass portal. I haven't yet applied for the passes from MH, TN and KA(transit)

Also I was of the understanding that you would need the TN pass for sure to enter - not sure how the source state can approve this ?

Following this thread..

Mod Note - Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!

Last edited by Sheel : 3rd July 2020 at 18:28. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 4th July 2020, 15:16   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand253 View Post
Can I check what was the reason you entered in TN pass portal. I haven't yet applied for the passes from MH, TN and KA(transit)
Also I was of the understanding that you would need the TN pass for sure to enter - not sure how the source state can approve this ?
I've given the genuine reasons initially, they rejected it, then I have started using other options as well, yet they have rejected.

As far as I know you wouldn't need pass from the source state(MH) if you have the pass from the Target state(TN). you just need one pass to travel, either from source or the target.

I've tried on both the portals and they rejected my request on both the portals

While applying the pass from MH, it asked numerous things which included medical certificate and the approval or a letter from the target state and a hand written copy declaration of the travellers, its a mess

Applying on TN portal has been simple and easy

Will wait for few more days and see if the Epass scene is actually removed, otherwise its really tough to get out of this situation.

I feel the TN guys are rejecting the requests coming from MH.

Do let me know if your pass gets approved.
Old 6th July 2020, 15:59   #101
BHPian

Quote:

Will wait for few more days and see if the Epass scene is actually removed, otherwise its really tough to get out of this situation.
while I said we should wait for more information on Epass, The good news is I have got my pass approved from TN.

Reason I have selected is return of stranded people and there is another section with 2 boxes which will ask for reason in detail, I have selected other and given the detail as returning to home.

in additional comments, I have pleased and requested not to reject the pass

earlier when my other passes got rejected I have used id proof as PAN, This time I have used Adar card.

Not sure if transit pass from KA is required or not, I have still applied for it and do not want to take chances

I'm starting my drive on 9th early morning, will keep update on this sooner.

cheers
Josh

Last edited by joshuakeys : 6th July 2020 at 16:02.
joshuakeys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 14:35   #102

Hi Josh -

I believe you would require a transit pass (or rather registration) from KA on Seva Sindhu - guess you have reviewed and completed that as well. ?

My situation is that I need to do a round trip i.e. reach Chennai and leave with folks on the next day. The TN pass portal doesn't have a clear guideline for this category. Also when I try to submit the pass for entry into TN the T&C states IQ for 14 days - are you aware of any other formal guideline on this topic...

Cheers
Old 10th July 2020, 21:46   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand253 View Post
Hi Josh -

My situation is that I need to do a round trip i.e. reach Chennai and leave with folks on the next day. The TN pass portal doesn't have a clear guideline for this category. Also when I try to submit the pass for entry into TN the T&C states IQ for 14 days - are you aware of any other formal guideline on this topic...
Anand, I have completed the trip from Pune to Chennai, Here is what all you need,a TN Pass, I have taken KA transit pass as well, however it has been of no use, I was not asked at MH-KA border (Nippani) nor at KA-TN border(Attabelli), My suggestion is to have one.

Below are the things to remember:
  • there has not been any kind of screening all through Chennai
  • MH has lots of spots/checks for EPass, better stick one to the windshield and carry another one with you, you will need it to be stamped at Attabelli check post.
  • after entering KA at Nippani check post you have to enter the exit details for MH guys and entry details for KA guys, post that I have never been asked for pass or asked to stop.
  • There is no quarantine concept anymore, which is good, you can return the following day. Its just a declaration, which has not been updated in the portal I believe.
  • There is no specific timings to exit KA border or enter TN, the entry or exit was between 7am and 7pm until last week, now no such restrictions.
  • The Roads are amazing, no hassles at all.
  • After Habbali check post there is a 30km stretch which is a single lane road. That's all, Rest of the journey its a 4Lane road.
  • total number of tolls 22, its better to have fastag with a top up of 2k aprx, else there is only lane for cash/Card and believe me, it is very lengthy 7-10mins average on each toll.
  • Total time taken excluding an hour break is 17hours. It was raining all the way from the time I was entering Bengaluru and it did rain till I reached Chrompet in Chennai.
  • Do check for the weather forecast, Its been raining heavy in KA these days.

overall Its been a pleasurable drive, minus the heavy rains which slowed me down with limited visibility at night.

Hope this info helps to an extent.

Cheers
Josh

Last edited by joshuakeys : 10th July 2020 at 21:51.
joshuakeys is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 14:50   #104
BHPian

Thanks for the information, pretty useful. I've heard there are a lot of speed cameras throughout, are there any speed limits (80-100), which is enforced? I am planning my trip to Chennai on Wednesday (reaching on Thursday), and this will be my first Pune to Chennai trip (halt at Bangalore, electronic city). I'm using a Polo GT TSI, fully serviced.
Old 22nd September 2020, 14:51   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanaticOnWheels View Post
Pune to Chennai
If you are doing Pune-Madras, you could even take the Solapur-Hyderabad-NAM-Ongole route. Except for the Naldurg-Solapur bad section, which I gather is only about 3-4 km stretch from the Pune-Hyderabad thread. The route is much more peaceful in terms of traffic and also avoids the diversions in Hubli-Chitradurga section.

Depending on your inspiration to drive, this can be dismissed in a day.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed