Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2011, 20:22   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pl. Advice Route Mumbai to Chennai

1. There is well known thread running on Bangalore-Bombay
2. Bangalore-Chennai : No Thread needed! Classic NH7/NH46/NH4.

On the way back Coorg is again via Bangalore.

Chennai-Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Madekeri.

The only tricky part is the return route from Coorg to Mumbai.
Of this puzzle, all the trouble is how and where to hit NH4 from optimum distance and also at the same time, use best road conditions outside GQ.

Best I can think off:

Madekeri-Somwarpet-Ramnathpur-Arkalgud-Gorur-Hassan-Belur/Haleibid-Bannavar-Shimoga-Honnali-Haaveri (on to NH4) - Hubli-Pune-Mumbai.

The last stretch before entering NH4 is very bad (Shimoga-Haaveri).

Here is reference link up to Hubli/Dharwad.

Madikeri, Karnataka to Dharwad, Karnataka - Google Maps
Old 7th March 2011, 10:53   #62
Senior - BHPian

Bombay-Madras:
Bombay-Pune-Kolhapur-Belgaum-Hubli-Davangere-Chitradurga-Tumkur-Nelamangala-Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Kanchipuram-Madras

You can bypass Bangalore by taking the NICE Road 12 kms after the Nelamangala flyover (1 kms after the Tumkur-Nelamangala exit toll gate) and reach NH7 directly avoiding Bangalore city at Electronic City.

For a fast driver, reaching Madras in 18-20 hours is not difficult. In case you do not want to drive the entire route in one shot, maybe a stop over at Chitradurga may be appropriate.

Madras-Madikeri:
Madras-Kanchipuram-Vellore-Krishnagiri-Hosur-Bangalore-Ramanagaram-Mandya-Srirangaptana-Mysore-Hunsur-Madikeri

You can bypass Bangalore the same way you went, taking the NICE Road, but existing this time onto Mysore road. You can also bypass Mysore (desirable) by taking the Ring Road (clear signage) after Srirangaptanam and turning off onto the Hunsur road.

If you are staying in Madikeri, then route via Hunsur & Kushalnagar is appropriate. But if staying at places like Gonikoppal, Ammathi, etc, then you can turn off at Hunsur itself avoiding Madikeri.

Madikeri-Bombay

ampere has already outlined teh route. I prefer to take the Madikeri-Somwarpet-Hassan route too.. But if you want an interesting variation, you can go from Somwarpet to Sakleshpura via Sanivarasanthe and then directly to Belur & Chickmagalur.
That route would be:
Madikeri-Somwarpet-Sanivarasanthe-Sakleshpura-Belur-Chickmagalur-Tarikere-Bhadravathi-Shimoga.

From Shimoga, there are 2 ways of getting to NH4. One is direct to Harihar via Honnali. But if you want a more scenic route - and also god roads - then you can continue to Sagar, Jog Falls, Siddapura, Sirsi and connect to NH63 at Yellapura and then go to Hubli where you will be on NH4 to Bombay
Old 7th March 2011, 12:07   #63
Team-BHP Support

Updates on Bangalore-Chennai:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...e-old-new.html

Bombay-Bangalore:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...adtrip-52.html

EDIT: These threads would be useful to find break options, hotels, restaurants, Petrol bunks etc.
(And of course road status!)

Last edited by ampere : 7th March 2011 at 12:13.
Old 7th February 2012, 20:14   #64
BHPian

Chennai-Karnataka-Mumbai

Hey Guys,

My friend is planning to a road trip in the month of May 2012 for the following places(in the same order as mentioned) in his zen

Day 1: Chennai-Bangalore (Stay in Bangalore)
Day 2: Bangalore-Kukke-Dharmasthala-Kalasa-Horanadu (Stay in Horanadu)
Day 3: Horanadu-Kudremukh-Sringeri-Agumbe-Someshwar-Udupi(Stay in Udupi)
Day 4: Udupi-Kollur-Murudeeshwar-Goa (Stay in Goa)
Day 5: Goa Sight Seeing
Day 6: Goa Sight Seeing & Leave around 8pm to Mumbai
Day 7: Reach Mumbai by early morning and stay at relatives place
Day 8: Stay in Mumbai
Day 9: Stay in Mumbai and Start By Late night 11:00pm
Day 10: Full day drive to reach chennai

He has the following queries as he is travelling with his wife and child (6 months old).
1) Safe route to travel between destinations
2) Safe places to halt for night with good accomodation
3) Is there any other places can be covered within this route?

Thanks
Vishnu
Old 7th February 2012, 20:32   #65
BHPian

Re: Chennai-Karnataka-Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnu.csk View Post

Day 7: Reach Mumbai by early morning and stay at relatives place
Day 8: Stay in Mumbai

He has the following queries as he is travelling with his wife and child (6 months old).
Some thoughts,

Leaving Goa at 8pm after full day sight seeing is not adviseable. Leave early and take NH4 and not NH17.

Leave Mumbai around 3 am in the morning is better to beat most traffic and reach chennai by midnight.
Old 7th February 2012, 21:15   #66
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Day 2 sounds very tight considering the 6 month old.
If it is a full day on day 1, I'd suggest a drive further to Hassan or even Sakleshpura.
Early morning start should ensure Subramanya, Dharmasthala and Horanadu in that day. But be wary of the timings of the temples.
Horanadu to Sringeri can be done through Balehonnur too. Check for latest road conditions before choosing either of the two routes.
Old 8th February 2012, 01:09   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guys,
Day 3: Horanadu-Kudremukh-Sringeri-Agumbe-Someshwar-Udupi(Stay in Udupi)
Dont do the stretch near Agumbe at night. These roads are supposed to Agency areas (Naxalite areas) as I heard the same from police there. However, as per locals, there are no issues travelling at night here. But my suggestion would be - better be safe than sorry, especially considering your friend is travelling with a child.

Is there a reason to reach Udupi. Instead, try Stay at Thirthahalli. A very good place to stay for night for a family and child.
My trip to this place
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ll-2-days.html

Continuing from there, he can visit Jog Falls enroute.

Quote:
Hey Guys,
Day 4: Udupi-Kollur-Murudeeshwar-Goa (Stay in Goa)
Day 5: Goa Sight Seeing
Again, is there a reason for Goa?. If he is going to Udupi, he can stay at Malpe and visit St. Mary's island. Link below shows how beautiful this place is
St Mary’s Island near Malpe beach, Udupi, Karnataka | The Long Hol

Also near Murudeshwar, there is an island called Netrani island. Really beautiful place. One can go for scuba diving and snorkeling and other stuff here at Murudeshwara. For staying here, RNS residency is excellent and Reasonable rates. They can arrange for activities.

Quote:
Hey Guys,
Considering a child on board, I think full day driving is not advisable. Please see if can do the return journey by breaking the trip. Say Hyd - Bangalore in one day and Bangalore - Chennai on day 2.
Old 8th February 2012, 02:51   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for dampening your friend's sprit. But still i don't think this is very good idea to go on a continuous drive with a 6 month old, even if it is expressway constant mild up and down motion will make the baby very uncomfortable. its like us having stomach full of water and lying down on a moving car, not so comfortable, worst on a small car. Its better to give the baby a long break between the drives if taking other modes of transports is not an option. my personal experience.
Old 8th February 2012, 10:15   #69
Senior - BHPian

From Chennai to Mumbai with a six month old on a zen, so if i read the itinerary, its approximately taking 5 days to reach mumbai with good breaks in between which gives the mother and child a decent amount of rest. The return seems to be a problem, one straight drive will be tiring for everyone.

Few questions, this could be done if,
1. The baby is a sound a deep sleeper, i.e. does not gets disturbed with few problems like noise, shake etc etc.
2. Zen has enough space for him and mother to sleep, i am not sure as i do not know how much luggage you would be carrying.
3. Usually this is the best time to go as at six months babies are completely dependent on mother and there arent any hygienic factors that you need to worry about as far as food is concerned. Only need to take care of the mother. Also there is no need to carry food for the baby.
4. Babies are quiet resilient so if kept warm and comfortable he/she should be fine.

My recommendation, why don't they try traveling with the baby for, lets say six hours drive to some place nearby to start with. To see if the baby can take it. Once this is set, you could think of this marathon drive.
Old 8th February 2012, 12:04   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guys,

My friend is planning to a road trip in the month of May 2012 for the following places(in the same order as mentioned) in his zen

Thanks
Vishnu
Vishnu,

I do not recommend your friend to take the six month old kid in May for a trip in Coastal Karnataka/Goa. It will be very hot and humid during this time and may severely affect the baby. He should plan the trip in Winter.

Last edited by Fauji : 8th February 2012 at 12:05.
Old 6th November 2017, 14:24   #71
BHPian

re: Chennai - Mumbai - Chennai : Route Queries

<< Reviving a old thread >>

Planning a trip to Mumbai (Thane to be precise) next month (Mid of Dec'17) with wife and son on my ANHC. Starting on a Saturday and return on next Sunday.

1. Is this road trip doable in a single day?
2. If had to be split, where do we stay?
3. Shortest route?

Prior experience - Driven Hyderabad to Goa and Hyderabad to Ooty in single day

Last edited by dre@ms : 6th November 2017 at 14:25. Reason: Added extra line
Old 6th November 2017, 14:36   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
3. Shortest route?
1. It is doable, but would be too much of a stretch IMO.
2. I would suggest Hubli - might take you anywhere between 12-14 hours from Chennai. If you reach Hubli earlier than expected, you can even shoot for Belgaum.
3. Shortest route in terms of time would be Chennai - Bangalore - Mumbai via AH47 (erstwhile NH4): https://goo.gl/maps/U9vXsBWdfBS2

EDIT: You can find latest updates on Bangalore - Mumbai route here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...eries-145.html

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 6th November 2017 at 14:39.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 14:40   #73
BHPian

Quote:
<< Reviving a old thread >>

Planning a trip to Mumbai (Thane to be precise) next month (Mid of Dec'17) with wife and son on my ANHC. Starting on a Saturday and return on next Sunday.

3. Shortest route?

Prior experience - Driven Hyderabad to Goa and Hyderabad to Ooty in single day
Hello dre@ms,
I'd not advise a single day drive as it will become too taxing.

We did a Chennai Pune drive last year (2016). Our journey was as follows
Alandur==>Poonamalle==> Hosur==>Nice Road==> Davangere (Halt)
Davangere = Pune

Since you are travelling further, plan accordingly so that you can take a break at Hubbali, if you can make it then Belgaum

Hotels in Hubbali : Clarks Inn. Ive not stayed here but heard decent reviews from the people who stayed.

Hotels in Belgaum : Sankam Residency, quite close to the highway.

The AH 47 (NH4) is the shortest, and most probably the fastes route as the roads are well maintained and you can maintain cruising speeds for most of the stretch.

Cheers
kutoos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 14:47   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
1. It is doable, but would be too much of a stretch IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutoos View Post
Hello dre@ms,
I'd not advise a single day drive as it will become too taxing.
I take this. I am a sedate driver and do not wish to push the limits, rather enjoy driving and the natures beauty on the go.

Staying at Hubbali or Belgaum seems the best option. Can any of you precisely jot down the route (city/villages to avoid etc)

Edit: If reached early in either Hubbali or Belgaum - any places to visit before hitting the sacks?

Last edited by dre@ms : 6th November 2017 at 14:50. Reason: Added edit..
Old 6th November 2017, 15:13   #75
BHPian

Quote:
I take this. I am a sedate driver and do not wish to push the limits, rather enjoy driving and the natures beauty on the go.

Staying at Hubbali or Belgaum seems the best option. Can any of you precisely jot down the route (city/villages to avoid etc)

Edit: If reached early in either Hubbali or Belgaum - any places to visit before hitting the sacks?
1. There is the Chandramoleshwar (Shiva) temple in Unkal near Hubbali. Also the Unkal lake is nearby Link https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/....1163897?hl=en
2. The beauty of the AH47, is that it bypasses most towns. However, based on my experience here are a few lookouts

a. From Attibele toll Plaza to Nice Road, you may get caught up in the phenomenal Bangalore traffic. Make sure you are not caught in this juction from say 9 AM -11. Other bangalore folks can clarify

b. After Sira, the highway is riddled with pot holes, during my recent drive, they were in the process of patching them.

c. After Hubbali, till Dharwar, the road narrows from 4 lanes to 2 lanes. This is tricky during night as, reckless overtaking is rampant in this stretch.

d. Once you cross over to MH, the following are the places you will get some traffic
i. Karad city bypass, as there is no flyover and you will have to cross the City junction
ii. The junction which leads to Satara City, there is work in progress which will delay.

e. There is construction activity as soon as you cross Khed Shivapur toll. Some delays are expected here as well.

CHeck this link for details on eateris and fuel otpions along the way http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3828255
kutoos is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks