Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2019, 07:45   #91
Team-BHP Support

Re: Dwarka and Somnath : Route Queries

I agree with Ry_der's comments. Drive down to Dwarka. Stay for a night. The same day evening you can do the main temple. While the next day you can Bhet Dwarka, Nageshwar Jyotirling, Rukmani Talav etc. The boat ride and back to Bhet Dwarka itself will take one half of the day provided you start early morning. So if you make it to Dwarka by 3/4PM, you can check in and the go the main temple. That arti is at 8PM I believe. The next day go to rest of the places.

Once done by 3 or 4PM drive all the way to Somnath by evening or late night. Dwarka-Somnath is about 180-200km which is about 3-4 hours easy. So I think you only would have time to come and check into a hotel. Next day first half you should be able to finish darshan at Somnath and rest of the places.

Now comes question of Gir. Its about 40 minutes from Somnath. But it all depends on tickets and how would you like to plan. If you get an early safari, you should be able to finish and drive back to Porbandar late in the evening. I think it would be too hectic for your parents. If you still want to do, book a hotel in Gir itself and stay for the night.

So to summarize, I would suggest plan a minimum of 3 nights (if not 4) if you want to cover all the places.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 13:12   #92
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
You don't need advance booking for Devaliya.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
www.girlion.in is something you can try. There are options to book a Safari Bus or a Safari Gypsy.
Noted, thank you very much for information.Anyway, going through the invaluable replies, I am now having a second mind in including Gir to my itinerary. Nevertheless, these information are for any future trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry_der View Post
I think it will be very hectic to cover Dwarika in one evening, more difficult with aging parents. Foot journey is must for both the temples. Try to accomodate atleast one day for Dwarika.

Been to both Dwarika and Somnath in Nov 2018.
Dear Ry_der, I can't thank you more for the detailed pointers. I can now visualize my itinerary more realistically. I have decided to strike out Gir from my list now, I can try Gir & Kutch another time.

I am now planning to cover main Dwarika temple in evening.
I can cover Bet Dwarika and other temples next morning and move to Somnath on evening. BTW, how bad is the road? Would it take 4-5 hours or more?
Next day would be Somnath and in evening to Porbandar.

I can see ampere too suggested the same. There is only one flight to Porbandar which arrives around noon. So, I guess, it is fairly possible to reach Dwarika by 3-4PM.

Thank you very much everyone.

Last edited by PetrolRider : 5th February 2019 at 13:16. Reason: space management
PetrolRider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 15:14   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post

Dear Ry_der, I can't thank you more for the detailed pointers. I can now visualize my itinerary more realistically. I have decided to strike out Gir from my list now, I can try Gir & Kutch another time.
Pleasure is all mine. I am happy that I could be of some help to you.

Quote:

BTW, how bad is the road? Would it take 4-5 hours or more?
It took me around 5.5 hours from Somnath to Dwarka (Left at 8.00 PM and reached around 1.30 am). Roads are not broken or pothole filled, its just that there are so many diversions. In some streches, the road is flat but without any layer of Tar. The traffic comprises heavy vehicles.

Again, this was the condition 2-3 months ago. I am hopeful that the roads are in better shape now because the 4 laning work was going on in full swing.

P.S. Please update this thread regarding the road conditions after journey.
Ry_der is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 12:23   #94
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry_der View Post
P.S. Please update this thread regarding the road conditions after journey.

Here is my update on road conditions.

Porbandar to Somnath:

From Porbandar, the first 30 kms or rather till Madhavpur, roads are not tarred. It is just chips and rocks pressed by road rollers and not a single bit of tar on them. From Madhavpur till Somnath roads are decent. Non-stop journey in that stretch would take at-least three and half hours and be prepared for damage to your car by flying stones.

Porbandar to Dwarka:

Road construction is on full swing with lots of diversions. But road surface is super smooth. You can make that stretch under 2 hours.

I am posting a snap of Porbandar - Madhavpur stretch here.
Attached Thumbnails
Dwarka and Somnath : Route Queries-somnathroad.jpg  

PetrolRider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 15:17   #95
BHPian

Hello Guys,

I am planning a trip to Dwakra and Somnath next week. Could you please suggest good budget AC hotel for stay ?

I am traveling with family. Also, should I book in advance or try my luck offline as this is not a 0eek season.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Who_are_you
Old 4th April 2019, 15:25   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who_are_you View Post
Hello Guys,

I am planning a trip to Dwakra and Somnath next week. Could you please suggest good budget AC hotel for stay ?

I am traveling with family. Also, should I book in advance or try my luck offline as this is not a 0eek season.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Who_are_you
What is your itinerary? Are you planning to stay at Dwarka and Somnath?

I would suggest you to stay at Porbandar. Somnath is around 150 kms from Porbandar and Dwarka is around 100 kms (both in the opposite direction).

Considering the current condition of roads (coastal highway construction), travelling from Somnath to Dwarka or vice versa the same day shall become tiresome.

Last edited by aditya.86 : 4th April 2019 at 15:26. Reason: Additional info
Old 4th April 2019, 15:29   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post
What is your itinerary? Are you planning to stay at Dwarka and Somnath?
Hi ,

I am planning to stay in somnath and Dwarka. My itenarary is:

D1: Pune - Ahmedabad

D2: Ahmedabad – Rajkot – Somnath

D3: Somnath – Porbander – Dwaraka – Bet Dwaraka – Nageswar – Dwaraka

D4: Dwaraka – Jamnagar – Rajkot – Ahmedabad – Vadodara

D5: Vadodara – Bombay - Pune
Old 4th April 2019, 15:43   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Hi ,

I am planning to stay in somnath and Dwarka. My itenarary is:

D2: Ahmedabad – Rajkot – Somnath

At Somnath and Dwarka look for Lords Eco Inn. Good rooms, food and service.

Your D3 looks pretty packed. Bet Dwarka needs to be done before noon and Somnath to Dwarka is almost a good 5 hrs easily.

Meanwhile you may also consider this:

D2: Ahmedabad – Dwarka

D3: Dwaraka – Bet Dwaraka – Nageswar – Porbandar (Leave early morning, finish off Dwarka, then head to Bet Dwarka. Then to Nageshwar which is open throughout and then back to Porbandar by evening).

D4: Porbandar – Ahmedabad – Vadodara

aditya.86 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 16:06   #99
BANNED

Quote:

Please check my post above, Somnath – Porbander - Dwaraka would easily eat up at least 5 hours of your time. It might also be daunting for your car. Please consider one night stay at Dwarka.
If I may, what car are you driving?

Quote:
+1. You can also try Fern and Vits. I stayed with Fern in both places, they are new properties with pretty good service and food.
PetrolRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 16:09   #100
BHPian

I am driving a Ford Figo TDCi ( 2nd Gen ). Thank you.

I will try to add one more night for Dwarka, if I get one day extra leave from office.

Last edited by Who_are_you : 4th April 2019 at 16:09. Reason: A word
Who_are_you is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 16:21   #101
BHPian

Quote:
I am driving a Ford Figo TDCi ( 2nd Gen ). Thank you.

I will try to add one more night for Dwarka, if I get one day extra leave from office.
Since you driving down all the way to Somnath and can manage an extra day, would suggest you visit Gir also. Gir and somnath is hardly 50 kms though the safari at Gir needs to be booked earlier.
aditya.86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 07:24   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Like others mentioned, your Day-3 is tough. You may want to add one more day at Dwarka. D3 you would try to reach late after noon before the evening arti. And that again may not be possible, since you would have reached late in the evening to Somnath the prior day and you would need the D3 morning to visit temples in Somnath.
From that logic, you should add another day for Dwarka. So your D4 becomes Dwarka, where in the morning you do Bhet Dwarka, Jyotirlings etc and also visit the arti in the evening.

Day 5 you start early for your can start your return drive. I think you can skip AMD and directly do Bagodara-Anand. I think it should help reduce time. But need to assess if it does indeed since AMD-Baroda is express way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
+1. You can also try Fern and Vits. I stayed with Fern in both places, they are new properties with pretty good service and food.
Fern is a very good property. Have stayed at multiple places and only have good experience to relate to.

Quote:
Lords is also a good chain. Have stayed at couple of their properties.

Last edited by ampere : 8th April 2019 at 07:26.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 08:44   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think you can skip AMD and directly do Bagodara-Anand. I think it should help reduce time. But need to assess if it does indeed since AMD-Baroda is express way.

Bagodara- Anand should be quicker. Its better not to enter Ahmedabad as it can eat away a lot of time depending on what time of the day it is.
aditya.86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 10:36   #104
Senior - BHPian

Back from a trip to Somnath.
Took Vadodara-Vataman-Fedra-Dhahuka-Botad-Paliyad-Vinchiyya-Jasdan-Gondal-Jetpur-Junagadh-Keshod-Somnath. Road conditions were not good in many sections. And huge number of speed breakers, most of them unmarked. My Swift's suspension took a lot of beating. And n number of odd potholes that randomly happen to be anywhere. But from Gondal, things are bit better till Somnath. Honest restaurant before Jetpur has good parking space and good food. Didnt try any other food joints. On return journey yesterday there was a massive traffic jam near Vataman where some new bridge construction is going on. Thanks to heat, there was little traffic on highway from Somnath-Botad. Did that stretch in around 4 hours.

Worst part of journey : Trucks and buses overtaking slower moving three-wheelers, two wheelers, tractors without any consideration of oncoming traffic. Many trucks have rubber strips near their wheels, I had those rubber strips hitting my right ORVM on one occassion as I had absolutely no space to go left and a truck driver was hell bent on overtaking a tractor.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 8th April 2019 at 10:38.
Old 4th April 2020, 22:34   #105
BHPian

Hello,

I did cover this route of Mumbai - Vadodara - Dwarka - Somnath - Diu - Vadodara - Mumbai in Feb-2020.
Details I have already posted HERE (Gujarat road trip - Queries), if you can check it. Thought of updating here too as its covers Dwarka & Somnath text.

regards,
Pranav

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks